WI - Teresa Marie Halbach, 25, Manitowoc, 31 Oct 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
strach304 said:
Whoever did this to this young woman is clearly a sexual predator and was inhuman enough to try and burn her remains to get rid of the body. I have yet to see a sexual predator with anything close to normal feelings and logical reasoning. As highly organized as Ted Bundy was he became very sloppy as he unraveled, escalated in his sickness etc. Burn a cat many years ago now a woman. I think the police had a very good concept of what kind of criminal they were dealing with many years ago so I don't blame them at all for believing they had the right man. Now I seriously wonder about this piece of hair that exonerated him and think it should be reinvestigated, I'd really like to see pics of him vs. the other guy in prison from when the crime happened. It's a whole different ball game to tell the victim 18 years later she id'd the wrong man, there's no way she can be sure now.
Not sticking up for Avery in any way in this crime, but the hair that cleared him was done with DNA testing, which is scientific evidence and very hard to refute. The victim ID that got him convicted was based on faulty line-up procedures and a witness that was under severe emotional and physical stress at the time of the attack. Victim and witness IDs just aren't that reliable in some situations. If you were on trial would you rather your fate be decided by DNA or witness testimony?

Do they have the death Penalty there? If so I hope that's what they seek. Re-investigate the exonerating hair evidence as well so he never gets a penny on a lawsuit imo I don't believe he didn't commit that rape.

LE has asked state crime lab to prioritize processing the evidence in this case.

TH's cell phone and camera were found in a burn barrel just outside SA's house, though LE qualified that statement saying they are waiting for positive ID of those items from the state crime lab.

Hoppy, watching the press conference

I'm a rather new resident of WI, so I don't know. But I doubt it. Any other WI residents know?

Hoppy

Does Wisconsin Have Life Without Parole: The sentencing judge has the power to set the parole date which, in reality, could be longer than the person's natural life. Last Execution Information: The last execution in Wisconsin took place in 1851. John McCaffry was executed for drowning his wife in a barrel. The death penalty was formally abolished in 1853.

From: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=11&did=276

Hoppy

I cant believe I missed this news conference. I did hear on MSNBC that his DNA was found on her car key???? HOW did he do that? Anyway, I'm going to try to find a link to the conference on the web. And no- we don't have the death penalty in WI, unless you consider what happened to Jeffrey Dahmer sufficient :) . (I did). Also, the state crime lab here in Madison has a very good reputation, I am glad they're handling the evidence. See yall later.

LE also found handcuffs and leg restraints in SA's bedroom.

Spec prosecutor will also file other charges on Mon, including mutilation of a corpse. Might be other charges, but he's not commenting. They can't yet comment about any possible sexual assault upon TH.

Hoppy, watching the news conference

mssheila said:
I cant believe I missed this news conference. I did hear on MSNBC that his DNA was found on her car key???? HOW did he do that?
LE wouldn't say. Could even have been from SA's perspiration.

LE believes SA intended to use TH's car key in the future.

LE believes that SA's statements to the media over the past days are significant. Also said that if you watch recent video of SA you can see where his blood evidence came from.

SA's attorney Mr. Glynn (sp?) is resigning from this case and SA is eligible for a public defender.

adit said:
Not sticking up for Avery in any way in this crime, but the hair that cleared him was done with DNA testing, which is scientific evidence and very hard to refute. The victim ID that got him convicted was based on faulty line-up procedures and a witness that was under severe emotional and physical stress at the time of the attack. Victim and witness IDs just aren't that reliable in some situations. If you were on trial would you rather your fate be decided by DNA or witness testimony?

I've also seen hair evidence shown to be incorrect, scientific or not those scientists make mistakes. I believe it's Texas that an entire lab is under investigation for faulty dna results that are responsible for many convictions and has been closed down. Now logically we don't know how that hair got there per se, we assume it came from the rapist but was there only one offender? There could be another explanation and in light of this it should be re-investigated. I've actually read quite a few recent developements and discoveries that are going on with dna testing because new scientific discoveries fascinate me, for instance one recent article I just read where a twin had such a unique dna that it did not match it's own mother, the other dies in utero and this is still being studied because it isn't the first case documented. Look at how many believe FBI profiling and lie detector results and they've proven to be as accurate as a psychic.

Hoppyfrog,

Big Thanks for all the updates on the press conferences! :clap:
Since I am so far from Wisconsin it really helps me keep up with the facts.

surini59 said:
I think that either he did want to get caught (we all know some criminals prefer prison life to dealing with "real" life) or, if that's not it, then........

maybe what it is is that he became so over-confident that he would never be looked at again for any crime that he actually believed he didn't need to hide or get rid of the key to her car or really make much of an attempt to cover his tracks at all! He might even have felt that if he got caught, someone would surely cry foul and be working like crazy to set him free.
We're on the same wavelength - I believe he thought LE would steer clear of him because of his wrongful incarceration and subsequent lawsuit. And he probably thought that if suspicion did fall on him, he could claim it was all just a conspiracy to frame him.

Thanks Hoppy for all the info. Everytime I read one of your next posts, i just get sicker and sicker. What a monster!.

Her family must be absolutely devasted and beyond.

OK, last post 'cause I gotta take a nap.

LE is continuing to execute the search warrants and search the Avery property. Scene has not yet been released.

LE might subpeona (sp?) news videos of SA because of a visible injury to his index finger (possible source of blood in TH's car).

Press conference is over.

Hoppy

petra said:
Thanks Hoppy for all the info. Everytime I read one of your next posts, i just get sicker and sicker. What a monster!.

Her family must be absolutely devasted and beyond.
I agree completely with what you said. So hard to imagine. :(

Hoppy, off to try to nap before the horde returns from school :)

Well, I admit I was wrong. It appears SA did do this heinous crime.

I feel terrible for Teresa and her family.

Hoppy:
Thank you so much for the info. I'm just sick over this. I was sure it couldn't be him....good grief! What was he thinking? :(

http://wfrv.com/topstories/local_story_315143312.html

Avery To Be Charged With Halbach's Murder
Save It Email It Print It
(AP) CHILTON Prosecutors plan to charge a man wrongly convicted of rape 20 years ago with killing a 25-year-old woman whose vehicle was found near his home, the Calumet County district attorney said Friday.

Steven Avery's blood was found inside Teresa Halbach's sport utility vehicle, District Attorney Ken Kratz said. Kratz said he plans to charge Avery with first-degree intentional homicide by Tuesday.

"It is no longer a question, at least in my mind as special prosecutor in the case, who is responsible for, in this case, the death of Teresa Halbach," Kratz said.

Avery has denied involvement in Halbach's death.

Halbach, from Hilbert in Calumet County, was last seen Oct. 31 when she had three appointments for Auto Trader Magazine, taking pictures of cars for sale. One stop was at the Avery salvage yard in Manitowoc County, about 25 miles south of Green Bay.

..............more at link...................

I found this earlier, before SA was charged.

http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2005/11/11/local/iq_3760402.txt

Innocence Project members have no regrets

MADISON - The discovery of a woman's remains at a salvage yard owned by the family of Steven Avery is a great shock, but it doesn't change the mission of the group, said a co-director of the Wisconsin Innocence Project.

The group won Avery's freedom from prison two years ago.

"It's still very important they convict the guilty and only the guilty," said Keith Findley, associate clinical professor at UW-Madison's Law School. "I don't know that this changes anything about the Innocence Project. If anything, we'll sort that out later."

more at link......................

fran said:
I found this earlier, before SA was charged.

http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2005/11/11/local/iq_3760402.txt

Innocence Project members have no regrets

MADISON - The discovery of a woman's remains at a salvage yard owned by the family of Steven Avery is a great shock, but it doesn't change the mission of the group, said a co-director of the Wisconsin Innocence Project.

The group won Avery's freedom from prison two years ago.

"It's still very important they convict the guilty and only the guilty," said Keith Findley, associate clinical professor at UW-Madison's Law School. "I don't know that this changes anything about the Innocence Project. If anything, we'll sort that out later."

more at link......................
Wonder if they are still going to hold their confrence?? Who will replace Steve Avery on the panel?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

petra said:
Wonder if they are still going to hold their confrence?? Who will replace Steve Avery on the panel?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To be honest, I'm wondering if there wasn't some sort of mix-up with regard to that DNA testing from the previous case. I am completely blown away by this development. I was sure he was being set-up by someone 'close.' :eek:
I can't believe he did this!

But you know, he probably thinks he'll get the backing of this innocence project, but I'm thinking, they do not want to touch him with a 10' pole! :(

I saw this morning, but couldn't find a link now, where the bill that was being passed named after this guy, the name was changed to something else yesterday or so, in light of finding the victim's car on his property. Good thing they did!

JMHO
fran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members