WI WI - Wook Kim, 22, University of Wisconsin student from South Korea, 15 July 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
4414DMWI - Wook Kim
WKim.jpg
WKim1.jpg

Mouse over to enlarge.

Name: Wook Kim
Case Classification: Missing
Missing Since: July 15, 1993
Location Last Seen: Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

Physical Description
Date of Birth: January 2, 1971
Race: Asian or Pacific Islander
Height: 5'4" - 5'8"
Weight: 120 - 160 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: A light colored t-shirt or pullover and slacks and white tennis shoes.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Kim, a history student from South Korea, was last seen by his now deceased driving instructor who claimed that he dropped Kim off at his apartment on July 15, 1993 at 1:15 p.m. Kim was never seen again and all of his property including his identification was left in his apartment. Family and friends reported him missing on July 29, 1993. He was a junior at the University of Wisconsin at the time. He has not been seen nor heard from since.

I'm going to assume that the driving instructor was checked out and cleared.

He does look pensive in those photos, as @SisterGrimm pointed out, but you can't always read anything into that. Nevertheless, maybe he was depressed, stressed about his studies, and ran away or took his own life and his body is unrecoverable?

The fact that "all of his property including his identification was left in his apartment" suggests to me that he made it back home after his driving lesson. I can't imagine going to a driving lesson without ID, especially as a foreigner studying abroad, because what if there was an accident?

This also rules him out to me as being the Asian males found in Philadelphia or Gilgo Beach, NY. Even in the '90s, I still remember having to show a photo ID before boarding a bus or a plane. How did he do any of these without ID? How did he even buy tickets? This was before most people had internet, so he would've had to purchase the tickets in person or by phone.

Did he then hitchhike all the way Philadelphia or New York? From Wisconsin to either of those cities is a great distance. How did no one come forward remembering him as a hitchhiker? Plus, did Wook Kim really know his way around the US like that already?

I think whatever happened to him occurred in the vicinity, and he just hasn't been found.

Thank you for the bump, unfortunately my computer is blocking the link.
1707696908905.png
1707696952095.png
''Missing Since: July 15, 1993
Location Last Seen: Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
Date of Birth: January 2, 1971
Race: Asian or Pacific Islander
Height: 5'4" - 5'8"
Weight: 120 - 160 lbs.
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Brown''

Last edited:

Members online