Will George and Cindy Testify?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anything would keep them from charging the A's AFTER Casey's trial though. So they might just wait to do anything until after they see if the A's testify.

can you just imagine keeping ca under wraps until then????

Their lawyers are no doubt advising every Anthony to stay off the stand. I'd rather be a fly on the wall to THOSE conversations as they work desperately to keep these people silent.

They can't simply 'stay off the stand'. Even if they were to plead the fifth, which is very unlikely, IMO, they still have to testify. The fifth pertains to individual questions asked of a witness which may incriminate the witness only, not to their entire testimony.

They can't simply 'stay off the stand'. Even if they were to plead the fifth, which is very unlikely, IMO, they still have to testify. The fifth pertains to individual questions asked of a witness which may incriminate the witness only, not to their entire testimony.

I think if they refuse to testify when the 5th amendment does not apply, they would be considered in contempt of court. Then they could join Casey in jail. In the Anthony wing.

They will be called to testify under oath, they are witnesses with important information. For the prosecution, GA establishes the last known live sighting of Caylee and they are the only ones who will tell the jury what a loving mother KC was which is necessary for the defense.

Last I heard, a witness can not pick and choose the questions to which he/she will invoke the 5th. It is all or nothing.

Last I heard, a witness can not pick and choose the questions to which he/she will invoke the 5th. It is all or nothing.

Really? Then would they have the parties get together beforehand and decide what areas were off limits in order to have the Anthony's feel comfortable enough to testify?

http://www.lectlaw.com/def/f083.htm

The only way the Fifth Amendment can be asserted as to testimony is on a question-by-question basis. Rendahl, 746 F.2d at 555, citing with approval U.S. v. Bell, 448 F.2d 40, 42 (9th Cir.'71) (Fifth Amendment challenge premature on appeal from enforcement order; appellant must present himself for questioning after enforcement and as to each question elect to raise or not to raise the defense).

I believe with the grand jury it is all or nothing. If you answer one question...you blow your right to assert the 5th amendment.

But I didn't know that was the case with regular trials. I guess perhaps the A's will have to ask for limited immunity then.

Edit> Assuming they have an area of concern....

I tend to agree. I think George will answer the questions asked but he sure won't offer anything up. I think the same of Lee. I think Cindy will do whatever she can to avoid tesifying even if it means signing herself into a psych ward.

I see it much differently with LA. I believe his appearance will require a subpeona based upon his past compliance performance. I can also see the SA requesting the judge to declare LA a "hostile witness", LA exudes hostility. The only way that I see LA arriving without a personal invitation and conducting himself appropriately....would be an immunity deal.

I see it much differently with LA. I believe his appearance will require a subpeona based upon his past compliance performance. I can also see the SA requesting the judge to declare LA a "hostile witness", LA exudes hostility. The only way that I see LA arriving without a personal invitation and conducting himself appropriately....would be an immunity deal.

I agree that he seems hostile and will likely require a subpoena. He doesn't add alot of value to the case though in my opinion. He is not as key a witness as Cindy or George. At least with what we know so far. Do we know if Brad Conway is representing him too...or just the G and C?

I just can't see any benefit to anyone from putting Cindy on the stand. She has little regard for the law, and has shown herself to be "mistruthful", volatile, and unpredictable.

The cost of putting her on the stand far outweighs any beneficial nuggets that may be able to be extracted from her.

While I agree Cindy is volatile, unpredictable & has NO regard for the law, I DO think she should be compelled to testify. Why give her a free pass because she is a liar? If it were me or you, we would be called to testify & if we lied, we would be charged. Cindy only thinks she & her family are above the law, but they are not. In her world, in her own words, telling a lie is not against the law. Ah, it is if you are under oath or give sworn statements. I personally think Cindy IS the key to the case & we need to hear her testimony. Maybe Cindy will be relieved to have to tell what she knows. She can justify it in her own mind that she had no choice & wasn't betraying KC.

All witness's need to testify, esp the Anthony family including extended family.

Her own words in the GVS interview, Lying is not a crime. If she is called to testify................ I wonder if she will change her mind about that statement.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: Agree. NO free passes because you lied.

Their lawyers are no doubt advising every Anthony to stay off the stand. I'd rather be a fly on the wall to THOSE conversations as they work desperately to keep these people silent.

But how can they if they are called to testify by either side?

I think GA will testify, but I doubt anyone will put Cindy on the stand. She's just too hyper, & goes into too many untruthful details.

But they NEED to put Cindy on the stand. Unlike tv or LE interviews where they might just let her ramble, the court CAN & WILL keep her on point. I think the public & the jury want to hear from her.

I am not so sure I agree about Cindy. I think she has the same syndrome Casey does - they think they can talk their way out of anything. They think if they speak - people will believe them. She has not been able to keep her mouth closed for 5 months now...she just HAS to talk. I think she believes she can help Casey if she does. That is why I could see her wanting to testify...not to help the prosecution, but because she believes she can help Casey. I could see her wanting to be called by the defense to help support her daughter. This would be a huge mistake however, since her inconsistencies would be easy for the prosecution to pounce on. I think JB and team would avoid that.

I can see that happening. It will be interesting to see how the case plays out.

IMO, I am looking for partial immunity or a plea deal for CA/GA/LA FOR CO-OPERATING on the witness stand and statements. The a family will save their own butts! I think they are smart enough to know that no matter what they do or say now can save kc. IMO, that is why they never leave the house now. No TV, media, hush hush. Not visiting kc. Listening finally to all their lawyers! And CA/GA stalling on burial arrangements because they know LE will move in quickly after the burial............IMOO

I wonder if this is why the family has asked for immunity. If they have to testify they don't want to be open to some charges because they may have Inadvertently did something that was a crime of some sort. They all have lawyers now and more than likely will have to testify.

Oh I didnt mean they would come without an "invitation." I think they will ALL require a subpeona. I think Lee & Cindy will be declared hostile but maybe not George, depending on what threats Cindy has offered up to him.

I wonder if this is why the family has asked for immunity. If they have to testify they don't want to be open to some charges because they may have Inadvertently did something that was a crime of some sort. They all have lawyers now and more than likely will have to testify.

I agree Manny. I think they will be compelled to testify because they are key to the state's case. I think it is smart of them to ask for immunity - just in case they need it. I think they will negotiate their testimony in exchange for immunity, thus eliminating the need for subpoenas.

So if they either plead the fifth or are hostile witnesses, they will not have the opportunity to perpetuate Casey's lies.

So where does that leave the defense?

I'm 99% certain that Casey will not testify- so would that not make the case open and shut?
Let them lie. Their video tapes with OCSD and FBI will prove they are lying and it won't help them or their daughter a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurse4home