DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

CocoChanel

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Yikes!
Did that really happen?
Apparently a joke Chris Rock told about Jada Pickett Smith, Will Smith’s wife, was not appreciated.
Smith got out of his seat, walked onto the stage, strode up to Rock, and slapped him.
Then he walked back to his seat and yelled at Rock to keep his wife’s name out of his mouth.
Rock appeared stunned, but recovered enough to present the award he was there to announce.

Will Smith Smacks Chris Rock at Oscars - Variety

Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars: ‘Keep my wife’s name out your mouth’

And shortly afterward, Will Smith won the best actor award for “King Richard”.

The joke?
”Jada, I love you. GI Jane 2, can’t wait to see you,” he quipped in an apparent reference to the actor’s shaved head.

Pinkett Smith – who announced last year that she shaved her head after struggling with alopecia – could be seen in the audience together with her husband, rolling her eyes at the joke.

Hollywood. - go figure?

Last edited:
I may be naive, but its almost hard to establish if this was scripted or real. I am leaning towards real.

Don’t follow celebrities in general and probably haven’t watched the Oscars since I was in high school. Can’t proclaim that I always use my free time productively, but I just don’t get stunts like this. I will admit that while I don’t subscribe to stereotypical gender roles, I am a sucker for simple chivalry. This however was nothing of the sort. If I was Smith’s wife, someone would be sleeping on the couch or in the dog house for awhile. Just my irrelevant thoughts.

Well, some things are not funny. Making fun of WS family, a medical condition? Chris Rock crossed a line. And WS has enough money to pay for plenty of attorneys if he is charged with any crime.

Well, some things are not funny. Making fun of WS family, a medical condition? Chris Rock crossed a line. And WS has enough money to pay for plenty of attorneys if he is charged with any crime.
That was WILD! Although clearly so wrong, I can’t help but admire him for taking such a stand for his wife.

Last edited:
That was straight up assault followed by a classic abuser apology chaser.
The joke may have been tasteless but that slap does not represent love no matter how many tears are shed. The entitlement and privilege in that man is unreal!

Will Smith has long been a narcissist in a narcissistic town but this went way over the top. The "Keep my wife's name out of your bleep-ing mouth!" he shouted from his seat to the stage at full volume. Twice. He should have been taken to the door by security. Why wasn't he?

And that faux apology (no apology to CR) included, of course, a Denzel name-drop. :rolleyes:

I don't think the joke was tasteless. The jokes told at the Oscar's are ALWAYS poking fun at the celebrities. That's what comedy is all about. Jada didn't have to go the the Oscars and be BALD, if this was such a sensitive thing for her... Are we supposed to believe she couldn't have worn an expensive, gorgeous wig or a beautiful scarf or headpiece, like every other woman with hair issues, and plenty of money to spend on stylists, can easily do. She was sitting right up front, next to the stage, bald as can be, so why wouldn't the comic make a comment about it? She looked beautiful so it didnt seem like a mean thing to say, IMO.

It is a medical issue---but it is not deadly or painful. It is not something that cannot be dealt with in other ways. It isn't like making fun of someone with stage 4 cancer or something.

I think Will S was way out of line. He seemed to be a bit crazy, imo. My husband is a comedy joke writer. He used to write for the SAG awards and I know that they rehearse these jokes, and everyone knows what some of the jokes will be. The rehearsal scripts are all over the place. I think Chris was really surprised because he didn't expect it to be such a big deal. JMO

Last edited:
He may be a good actor but I have long thought there is something "off" about him. His behavior tonight was pretty disgraceful. So, so unprofessional.

The joke wasn't horribly insulting. Ricky Gervais was much more scathing when he hosted. Ricky's jokes about Jada might have contained something about her admission that she had cheated on Will in the past.

How Will and Jada Smith figured out their open marriage

How Will and Jada Smith figured out their open marriage

But the 53-year-old star continues to be dogged by headlines over his ‘open’ marriage to Jada Pinkett Smith, his wife of 25 years.

Last Sunday, when he missed the BAFTAs to stay in Los Angeles for the Critics Choice Awards, host Rebel Wilson quipped that his “best performance in the past year was being OK with all his wife’s boyfriends.”

I’m not sure if it was real, but it seems WS is choosing what to be mad about.

KH is my favorite comedian, tears flow from laughing at his comedy. He makes fun of himself all the time.

I’ll take Kevin over Will to watch any day.

Jmo

………

I’m not sure if it was real, but it seems WS is choosing what to be mad about.

KH is my favorite comedian, tears flow from laughing at his comedy. He makes fun of himself all the time.

I’ll take Kevin over Will to watch any day.

Jmo

Just to clarify, it was Chris Rock, not Kevin Hart who was involved in this incident from last night’s Oscar ceremony.
Kevin Hart had his own Oscar controversy in Dec 2018 when he withdrew as the designated host only 2 days after being announced when some of his tweets from years earlier were unearthed as insensitive to the LGBTQ community.

Kevin Hart says he won't host Oscars after furor over homophobic tweets | CNN

Could be. My husband's comedian friends all think this was scripted, to create some publicity, as the Oscars were circling the toilet in dwindling viewers for years now.

Think it might backfire if it is... bigger things going on in the world this year and they just look ridiculous.

I also read extremely expensive goody bags are given out, not going to impress the general public in times of hardship.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back