Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Check out David Trent Music (Ricky Gervais' office character) on twitter :D.

I thought it was a tasteless joke because Jada has been open about her struggles with hair loss.Of course the best way to have handled this was for Will to have told him after the show he thought it was a rude thing to say.
Also gotta ask, is Jada not an adult? Doesn't she get the final say in how her spouse reacts to things said about HER.

I mean if she wanted to, she could have heckled CR from the audience, or whatever.

What if she'd marched up on stage and slapped someone for making a joke about WS?

Have we regressed to one of those cultures where men resort to physical violence to defend a ladies 'honor'?

Bleh.

Will Smith has long been a narcissist in a narcissistic town but this went way over the top. The "Keep my wife's name out of your bleep-ing mouth!" he shouted from his seat to the stage at full volume. Twice. He should have been taken to the door by security. Why wasn't he?

And that faux apology (no apology to CR) included, of course, a Denzel name-drop. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with you. The whole Pinkett Smith family are insufferable narcissists IMO. Both Jada and her daughter have shaved their heads for fashion on numerous occasions. I see headlines about these people a lot but never heard about the alopecia. It’s likely Chris didn’t know either.

Narcissists often have a shallow, insecure sense of self. Sometimes actors lose themselves in a role because of that. (Not saying all actors are narcissists).

But you could see that Will Smith wasn’t upset by the joke at first. He laughed. Until he saw his (IMO) sanctimonious wife shaking her head in disapproval. Then, IMO, he channeled the character he was up for an Oscar for portraying. A man who is himself likely a “protective” narcissist.

I mean Smith basically said as much in his acceptance speech.

I think the move was juvenile, entitled and misogynistic. Celebrities are used to doing whatever they want.

We teach kids “sticks and stones”. And this wasn’t even name-calling! It’s not like Chris called her a bad name or something.

I don’t like this. I don’t like the attitude that a man’s role is to protect the little woman, with violence. I don’t like narcissists who blur the lines between who they are and who they think they should be. I don’t like when people value abusers or exploiters like the Williams’ twins’ father (IMO).

And I don’t like rich people having a separate system of law than the rest of us, that doesn’t hold them accountable for their actions.

“We don’t condone violence” is not enough of a censure from the academy.

Also gotta ask, is Jada not an adult? Doesn't she get the final say in how her spouse reacts to things said about HER.

I mean if she wanted to, she could have heckled CR from the audience, or whatever.

What if she'd marched up on stage and slapped someone for making a joke about WS?

Have we regressed to one of those cultures where men resort to physical violence to defend a ladies 'honor'?

Bleh.
Right. Her husband has now drawn a lot more attention to her hair than if they had just giggled and left it alone. It wasn’t even insulting IMO.

My husband said what if one of the women hosts had said it? Would he have marched up there and slapped Amy Schumer and then cussed her out from the audience?

Yes it was mentioned somewhere that this was a violation of the Academy’s code of ethics. It’s a poor choice to let this slip by. We are having major problems with people not paying for their crimes and this is no different. Actually worse being as kids look up to him.

Violence is not okay. Women get assaulted in volatile domestic violence and suffer greatly for it. This sends a horrible message that assault doesn’t warrant any punitive consequences.

100%. It’s upsetting. And then to see him smugly dancing and grinning at the after parties? Disgusting.

Academy Releases New Statement on Will Smith's Actions During Oscars

In a statement Monday, the film academy said it will also "explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law"

Will Smith apologizes for slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars, calling it "unacceptable and inexcusable" - CBS News

"I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong," Smith wrote. "I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness."

Will Smith apologizes to Chris Rock after slapping him at Oscars
“Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive. My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable,” wrote Smith in a statement posted to Instagram on Monday evening. “Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada’s medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally. I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.”

Academy Releases New Statement on Will Smith's Actions During Oscars
H
In a statement Monday, the film academy said it will also "explore further action and consequences in accordance with our Bylaws, Standards of Conduct and California law"

Will Smith apologizes for slapping Chris Rock at the Oscars, calling it "unacceptable and inexcusable" - CBS News

"I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong," Smith wrote. "I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness."
Ha the apology tour has begun.

I don't really follow the entertainment news, so had no clue about this open marriage and that their relationship wasn't as sound as it once appeared to be.

Mind you, I've seen a few interviews in the past and something always felt off with the dynamics in that family. I used to feel that how they portrayed themselves to the outside world, was not a reflection of what was going on behind closed doors. It was just a gut feeling though, nothing to base it on.

I don't believe this outburst had anything to do with Chris Rock, I imagine he's been simmering for some time now.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
I don’t think he made fun of her at all. She had really short almost shaved hair and looked beautiful. It was noticeably different for her, but he probably thought it was a fashion choice or for a role like I thought. Most people don’t know she has alopecia. His “joke” just compared her to when Demi Moore had a shaved head for GI Jane. She looked beautiful in that movie and it was talked about at the time. It wasn’t anything mean spirited and I’m sure he wouldn’t have said anything if he had known. My point was that IF she was sensitive to comments about her short hair she wouldn’t have shown up to the biggest awards show without a wig/hat etc. and sit in the front row where the hosts make jokes about the audience’s appearance every single year lately. They aren’t new to this business. I personally don’t like the mean spirited jokes and don’t know why they seem to think they have to do it, but I don’t feel this was even mean. The whole reaction made no sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will never condone violence; Smith’s wife was not in danger.

In addition, not knowing if this was staged or not, I would personally take umbrage if a man, woman, or any gendered person tried to defend my “honor”. I’m a strong, independent woman and I don’t need anyone, male or female or whatever, to defend my honor. I would have no problem stating my opinion peacefully and firmly and then walking away.
MOO

I don’t think he made fun of her at all. She had really short almost shaved hair and looked beautiful. It was noticeably different for her, but he probably thought it was a fashion choice or for a role like I thought. Most people don’t know she has alopecia. His “joke” just compared her to when Demi Moore had a shaved head for GI Jane. She looked beautiful in that movie and it was talked about at the time. It wasn’t anything mean spirited and I’m sure he wouldn’t have said anything if he had known. My point was that IF she was sensitive to comments about her short hair she wouldn’t have shown up to the biggest awards show without a wig/hat etc. and sit in the front row where the hosts make jokes about the audience’s appearance every single year lately. They aren’t new to this business. I personally don’t like the mean spirited jokes and don’t know why they seem to think they have to do it, but I don’t feel this was even mean. The whole reaction made no sense.

IF she is sensitive about her lack of hair, she SHOULD be able to go anywhere without some idiot commenting on her appearance

I was shocked at how well Chris handled it.
He should of been the one the good old boys were patting on the back during commercial. Chris was the better man IMO.
What if Chris had hit the floor …or had a brain injury ….passed away?

MOO

I was shocked at how well Chris handled it.
He should of been the one the good old boys were patting on the back during commercial. Chris was the better man IMO.
What if Chris had hit the floor …or had a brain injury ….passed away?

MOO
That spoke volumes. I think his peers were worried that Will had clearly gone off the rails, but check on the guy he assaulted please! And remove the assaulter from the room! It was so bizarre, like upsidedown world. Or so it looked from here in flyover country.

Then the speech where he blamed everything including love and the devil. Unreal.

Did you catch the shade in his apology tour kickoff this afternoon? I shouldn't have done it but if I did it was your fault.

"Jokes at my expense are part of the job, but a joke about Jada's medical condition was too much for me to bear, and I reacted emotionally" -Will Smith

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

I agree. I don't think he knew about her condition at all. I didn't.

I also don't like his self-serving apology. He apologizes but then condemns Chris and excuses his own behavior. We know it wasn't too much for him to bear because he laughed at first. I really think he just got caught up in the role he played. Maybe he should have asked Chris if he knew about his wife's condition before assuming her knew.

These people are far too self-important, IMO.

I will never condone violence; Smith’s wife was not in danger.

In addition, not knowing if this was staged or not, I would personally take umbrage if a man, woman, or any gendered person tried to defend my “honor”. I’m a strong, independent woman and I don’t need anyone, male or female or whatever, to defend my honor. I would have no problem stating my opinion peacefully and firmly and then walking away.
MOO

Right. He's suddenly acting macho. I wouldn't mind if someone I love stated their opinion as well, in defense of me. But to resort to violence because I'm a female who can't defend herself from a poor joke? Yuck.

IF she is sensitive about her lack of hair, she SHOULD be able to go anywhere without some idiot commenting on her appearance

I agree. But not everyone knew she had that condition and she and her daughter have shaved their heads in the past for fashion. So how would anyone know she felt sensitive? That being said, I don't care for appearance jokes in general. I don't find them very funny.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beaverton
Back