Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess it depends on the sensitivity of the individual who has been targeted by the comedian. I mean, if Jada had lost an eye to retinoblastoma would Chris Rock have mentioned her being in a Popeye remake? Did it matter that he wasn't aware of her alopecia? It's 2022. Women don't need men to come to their defense of an insult. They choose to respond or not. It appears Jada chose not to respond.

Could Smith lose his Oscar for ignoring Academy Codes of Conduct? Jeez, -slapping someone on national tv? Is that worse than Harvey Weinstein sexually assaulting numerous anonymous young actresses over the course of his career? He still has his Oscar for Shakespeare in Love.

This Oscar show was trying to be too many things to too many groups and everyone was pandering to them, imo. Granted, the pandemic had definitely taken a bite out of the availability of movies to the general public and lack of promotion was a problem but movies that will fade into obscurity won Oscars. Forgettable films were celebrated (White Men Can't Jump. Really?), the In Memoriam segment was turned into a song and dance production and a nominated song wasn't even performed in the theatre. It was a horrible song, too. All hat no cattle.

My personal opinion is that everyone should reset and forget the whole thing happened. Everything is my opinion.

Will Smith & Jada To Break Silence About Chris Rock Oscars Smack On 'Red Table Talk'

Will Smith is turning down invites from Good Morning America and The Today Show to talk about the Chris Rock incident and has decided he will spill his guts on Jada Pinkett-Smith’s Red Table Talk.

Sources close to the situation tell Radar, Will and his team have been bombarded with offers from outlets pleading with the Academy Award winner to choose them as his outlet to talk about Chris.

Will Smith & Jada To Break Silence About Chris Rock Oscars Smack On 'Red Table Talk'

I agree. But not everyone knew she had that condition and she and her daughter have shaved their heads in the past for fashion. So how would anyone know she felt sensitive? That being said, I don't care for appearance jokes in general. I don't find them very funny.

that's the whole point
just do not ever comment on someone's appearance unless you know them intimately
you never know what someone else is dealing with and even if you do, keep your mouth closed, don't make fun of her on a live show that is being viewed by millions

also, maybe in the past it wasn't really for fashion - maybe that's what Jada said so as not to reveal her illness and maybe her daughter did a sympathy shave ...

I guess it depends on the sensitivity of the individual who has been targeted by the comedian. I mean, if Jada had lost an eye to retinoblastoma would Chris Rock have mentioned her being in a Popeye remake? Did it matter that he wasn't aware of her alopecia? It's 2022. Women don't need men to come to their defense of an insult. They choose to respond or not. It appears Jada chose not to respond.

Could Smith lose his Oscar for ignoring Academy Codes of Conduct? Jeez, -slapping someone on national tv? Is that worse than Harvey Weinstein sexually assaulting numerous anonymous young actresses over the course of his career? He still has his Oscar for Shakespeare in Love.

This Oscar show was trying to be too many things to too many groups and everyone was pandering to them, imo. Granted, the pandemic had definitely taken a bite out of the availability of movies to the general public and lack of promotion was a problem but movies that will fade into obscurity won Oscars. Forgettable films were celebrated (White Men Can't Jump. Really?), the In Memoriam segment was turned into a song and dance production and a nominated song wasn't even performed in the theatre. It was a horrible song, too. All hat no cattle.

My personal opinion is that everyone should reset and forget the whole thing happened. Everything is my opinion.

maybe Jada was too humiliated and in shock to respond at that moment

IMO, it was one big publicity stunt, might have been approved by the Academy, it certain needs a boost, Jada’s show needs it, Chris Rock does too and Will? He’s the king of the castle and does what he likes.
It will be interesting the type of work to be offered after this ‘stunt’, to Jada, Chris and Will.
The filming should have been cut the moment Will made his way to the stage, and security should have pulled Will to the side, funny how neither happened.
JMO

that's the whole point
just do not ever comment on someone's appearance unless you know them intimately
you never know what someone else is dealing with and even if you do, keep your mouth closed, don't make fun of her on a live show that is being viewed by millions

also, maybe in the past it wasn't really for fashion - maybe that's what Jada said so as not to reveal her illness and maybe her daughter did a sympathy shave ...
Are we really going to declare that comics should never comment on someone's appearance? Are we really that fragile and sensitive now?

I guess because I am married to a comedy writer, it really bothers me that people cannot take a joke anymore. We take everything so seriously and have become so soft and fragile, over 'micro' aggressions.

I do not think it makes society a better place, to take comedy and humour, so seriously. To me, comedy 'makes light of things.' It shines a light on that which is taboo but has a ring of truth to it. We should all be able to laugh at ourselves if we want to know the truth about our situation. JMO

that's the whole point

I think if you saw her past hairstyles you would probably not think that. Shaving their heads (or part) just seemed to be a fashion choice. At this link is a photo of Willow with her mom when Willow first shaved her head. Her mom’s head wasn’t shaved.

Willow Smith Shared The REAL Reason She Shaved Her Head On Tour

Finally, the scene when Demi Moore’s character shaved her head in GIJane was badass. And it was meant to be so. If comparing someone to that is considered making fun of them, I hope someone makes fun of me!

Last edited:

I think it does make a difference if he knew she had alopecia or not. One is joking about a fashion choice. Another is mocking something about a person’s appearance that they can’t control.

A4FDB01B-34EB-43BA-85D1-34F6E3D927EF.jpeg 36952631-18C0-457F-8162-A172B53F3ABF.jpeg

Will Smith APOLOGIZES to Chris Rock for his 'inexcusable' assault after joke about his wife's hair at the Oscars... but will it be enough to stop the 'furious' Academy stripping him of his Best Actor award?

‘Violence in all of its forms is poisonous and destructive,' he wrote.

'My behavior at last night's Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable. Jokes at my expense are a part of the job, but a joke about Jada's medical condition was too much for me to bear and I reacted emotionally.

'I would like to publicly apologize to you, Chris. I was out of line and I was wrong. I am embarrassed and my actions were not indicative of the man I want to be. There is no place for violence in a world of love and kindness.'

Smith then went on to say sorry to the organizers and the producers of the show.

Will Smith APOLOGIZES to Chris Rock for 'inexcusable' assault during the Oscars | Daily Mail Online

It was shocking to see what happened between Will Smith and Chris Rock at The Oscars. I do not agree with Will confronting Chris on camera and physically assaulting him. He should have spoken to him privately off camera when it was possible and he should not have resorted to physical violence.

It will be very surprising if the Academy decides to take Will’s Best Actor Oscar from him. I can’t see this happening at all, I think the Academy will feel that taking away his Oscar is punishing Will too severely. Maybe he will be forced to make a large donation to a charity and do an anger management course. There should be consequences for Will because of his behaviour. I’m sure he probably has a lot of young fans who may see him as a role model. He should face consequences because physical violence against someone is totally unacceptable and it is never ok.

It is a real shame that Will behaved the way he did on what should have been one of the best and most memorable days of his life. His Oscar win has been overshadowed by what happened and will probably continue to be in the years ahead.

Will should have publicly apologised last night to Chris. He may have been forced to put this apology hours later on the advice of his PR and Management representatives in the hope that he can keep his Oscar and his future career is not harmed as severely.

Last edited:
Are we really going to declare that comics should never comment on someone's appearance? Are we really that fragile and sensitive now?

I guess because I am married to a comedy writer, it really bothers me that people cannot take a joke anymore. We take everything so seriously and have become so soft and fragile, over 'micro' aggressions.

I do not think it makes society a better place, to take comedy and humour, so seriously. To me, comedy 'makes light of things.' It shines a light on that which is taboo but has a ring of truth to it. We should all be able to laugh at ourselves if we want to know the truth about our situation. JMO

I'm not just talking about comics - everyone should refrain from speaking about someone's appearance - it's just bad etiquette but beyond that, people have medical reasons for looking a certain way so yes, we are that fragile and sensitive now. We've evolved.

Jada Smith Addressed Her Head in TikTok before Oscar blowup – Deadline

Jada Pinkett Smith doesn’t care what anyone has to say about her head.

In a video posted to her TikTok account a few days before the Oscars, Pinkett Smith talked about her “hair regrets,” especially when having to shoot a magazine cover. She also addressed how she feels about people who may or may not have an opinion about “this bald head of mine.”

The clip is already making the rounds on social media, with one observer commenting, “Sooooo, did Will not know Jada didn’t care what anyone thought of her shaved head?? I am confused.”

Academy ‘Condemns’ Will Smith’s Oscar Slap, Launches Formal Investigation

Academy 'Condemns' Will Smith's Oscar Slap, Launches Formal Investigation

Will Smith Apologizes to Chris Rock in Instagram Post, Calls Behavior “Unacceptable and Inexcusable”

Will Smith Apologizes to Chris Rock in Instagram Post – The Hollywood Reporter

Which came first?
The condemnation?
Or the apology?
He should have apologized to Chris that night, but he didn't and I think that says it all.

that's the whole point

I don’t like jokes about people’s appearances either, but this is how the Oscars have been for a very long time. It really is to be expected at that ceremony, like it or not. There’s no way the Smiths didn’t expect a comment about her hair style, whether we agree with it or not. Amy Schumer made a joke about Jennifer Lawrence’s weight, many jokes about Timmothy Chalomet’s appearance etc. You have to go with the flow at this show or you kinda look like you take yourself too seriously and have no sense of humor. Sometimes the hosts go too far, and I hate that. Chris Rock made a benign comment about her hair, that was not an insult. It really just acknowledged her short hair. CR probably thought she wanted the attention! That really is how it works. This wasn’t real life, walking down the street. And CR was super surprised that her husband leaped out of his seat and assaulted him on stage. Over that comment that was more like a compliment than an insult. Even if he had gone too far and said something mean, WS’s reaction was very wrong. It’s not ok for his young fans to see that. The whole thing was strange, and I think WS must have some serious issues.

Call me dumb but I honestly thought the comment was aimed at her khaki/green dress.

Here in Aust we have a comedy channel which is sarcastic and cruel and not find funny at all.
Ahhh well….
You’re probably right. She did look GI Janeish—a pretty lady in her army green dress and shaved head. Not a bad thing—just a striking resemblance. This is how they form their jokes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beaverton
Back