Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think if you saw her past hairstyles you would probably not think that. Shaving their heads (or part) just seemed to be a fashion choice. At this link is a photo of Willow with her mom when Willow first shaved her head. Her mom’s head wasn’t shaved.

Willow Smith Shared The REAL Reason She Shaved Her Head On Tour

Finally, the scene when Demi Moore’s character shaved her head in GIJane was badass. And it was meant to be so. If comparing someone to that is considered making fun of them, I hope someone makes fun of me!

I wouldn’t be offended if someone made a reference to follow in an attractive persons footsteps. At the time Demi Moore made that movie she was in her prime if irc.

I saw Chris Rock in person a long time ago, maybe 15 or 20 years ago, when he was already super-famous but I could still afford a ticket to his show in Atlantic City.

He's a comedian. He shredded EVERYBODY---black, white, young, old, fat, skinny, ugly, pretty. It's what comedians do. It comes with the territory. And they are accustomed to someone in the audience maybe heckling them. We were in hysterics because his jokes landed and none of us took offense. We knew we were going to see a comedian.

But this was atrocious, IMO. This was a violent attack. Followed by verbal abuse. In front of a live audience and millions watching on TV. I was appalled that he was permitted to stay in his seat, get his award, receive a STANDING OVATION !!!!!!!!, make a speech and then party all night.

Even a seasoned pro like Chris Rock was so taken aback and you could see that he didn't know what to do there for a minute. Despite decades of performing in front of audiences, he didn't expect to be slapped in the face by a Hollywood icon, whom he knew, at a very public venue.

IMO his joke was dumb, but Jada has said she didn't care what people thought about her hair. She deliberately did not cover her head with any artificial devices. It may have been a stupid joke, but Will laughed at first, and I see no equivalence between a joke and an assault. If Will truly felt it was too sensitive a topic then he should have confronted Chris privately.

jmo

CR has a history of mocking JPS. He knew. JPS has spoken many times in articles and on Red Table Talk about being terrified about her hair loss. Since 2018.

Chris Rock did a documentary on black hair including a black women with Alopecia.

You don’t play about black women’s hair, he knows that.

There are plenty of articles about why if one doesn’t already know about black hair dysphoria.

During his 2016 opening Academy Awards monologue, Rock made fun of Pinkett Smith for boycotting the Oscars because of the “Oscars so white,” turmoil. “Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited,” Rock said.

This year’s Academy Awards marked Pinkett Smith’s first major appearance without hair. And it was a big one as her husband was up for the best actor Oscar for his portrayal of Venus and Serena Williams’ father in the film, King Richard.

I’m sure as Pinkett Smith got dressed in her amazing emerald green Jean Paul Gaultier and Glenn Martens of Diesel and Y Project ruched gown, there was a lot of fretting about the Oscars red carpet.

Pinkett Smith has said on her streaming series Red Table Talk and on Instagram that she has always been vain about having hair. How would people receive her? Could she be stunning with a bald head?

For the record, she was.

Rock seems to enjoy hitting Black women below the belt.

In his 2009 documentary Good Hair, Rock spent the entire film making jokes about Black women’s hair.
Chris Rock’s joke about Jada Pinkett Smith’s hair loss was cruel. Will wasn’t having it.

Rock’s tawdry words on Sunday may have been a tactless joke, but I instantly recognised the look on Jada’s face when those words were uttered. The palpable feeling of all the air leaving the room whilst your skin is on fire, all eyes on you waiting for you to react. I recognised that frozen smile, the roll of eyes. The clasping of hands while she continued to keep her composure.

Black women's hair is too often the butt of jokes

WS is unlucky he wasn’t charged. He needs to have consequences like anyone else for his own well being.

CR’s “joke” was about as funny as an outhouse breeze.

All IMO

CR has a history of making jokes about numerous people. It's not like he had some personal vendetta against Jada. Further, not everyone watches Red Table Talk. I imagine few people do, actually. What in the world would CR be watching that for? He had no reason to know about the alopecia. Like I said before, I see headlines about this family all the time and I had no idea.

Here's another take on this incident:

“With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community,” Abdul-Jabbar writes of Smith, echoing the opinion expressed on Monday by Today host Craig Melvin that it was "troubling on so many levels" for men of color.

Abdul-Jabbar argues the incident was more than just a slap to Rock, but rather a “slap to women.”

“By hitting Rock, he announced that his wife was incapable of defending herself — against words,” he states. “This patronizing, paternal attitude infantilizes women and reduces them to helpless damsels needing a Big Strong Man to defend their honor least they swoon from the vapors. If he was really doing it for his wife, and not his own need to prove himself, he might have thought about the negative attention this brought on them, much harsher than the benign joke. That would have been truly defending and respecting her.”

“Young boys — especially Black boys — watching their movie idol not just hit another man over a joke, but then justify it as him being a superhero-like protector, are now much more prone to follow in his childish footsteps,” he explained, adding, “One of the main talking points from those supporting the systemic racism in America is characterizing Blacks as more prone to violence and less able to control their emotions. Smith just gave comfort to the enemy by providing them with the perfect optics they were dreaming of.”
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says Will Smith 'perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community' by slapping Chris Rock at Oscars

Much more at link.

Interestingly, I note how WS referred to himself as a "crazy father" when discussing protecting his wife. Eww.

CR has a history of making jokes about numerous people. It's not like he had some personal vendetta against Jada. Further, not everyone watches Red Table Talk. I imagine few people do, actually. What in the world would CR be watching that for? He had no reason to know about the alopecia. Like I said before, I see headlines about this family all the time and I had no idea.

Here's another take on this incident:

“With a single petulant blow, he advocated violence, diminished women, insulted the entertainment industry, and perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community,” Abdul-Jabbar writes of Smith, echoing the opinion expressed on Monday by Today host Craig Melvin that it was "troubling on so many levels" for men of color.

Abdul-Jabbar argues the incident was more than just a slap to Rock, but rather a “slap to women.”

“By hitting Rock, he announced that his wife was incapable of defending herself — against words,” he states. “This patronizing, paternal attitude infantilizes women and reduces them to helpless damsels needing a Big Strong Man to defend their honor least they swoon from the vapors. If he was really doing it for his wife, and not his own need to prove himself, he might have thought about the negative attention this brought on them, much harsher than the benign joke. That would have been truly defending and respecting her.”

“Young boys — especially Black boys — watching their movie idol not just hit another man over a joke, but then justify it as him being a superhero-like protector, are now much more prone to follow in his childish footsteps,” he explained, adding, “One of the main talking points from those supporting the systemic racism in America is characterizing Blacks as more prone to violence and less able to control their emotions. Smith just gave comfort to the enemy by providing them with the perfect optics they were dreaming of.”
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says Will Smith 'perpetuated stereotypes about the Black community' by slapping Chris Rock at Oscars

Much more at link.

Interestingly, I note how WS referred to himself as a "crazy father" when discussing protecting his wife. Eww.

The ironic thing is he was directing that to Mr. Williams, as he was known to be erratic in his relationships. “Crazy Father”
More ironic is that Mr. Williams spoke out about it.

Richard Williams says 'we don't condone anyone hitting anyone else' after Will Smith slap | Daily Mail Online

Thanks, @gitana1 for posting this. I had wanted to allude to this topic, but as a white woman I didn't want to cross a line.

Now, though, there have been some famous black men like Jabar addressing it, so I will just say one thing.

In the minds of the hopeless racists out there, every black man is a savage, no matter his station in life. IMO one of the worst repercussions of what Will Smith did is to reinforce that stereotype to white supremacists. They are already inclined to believe that even a rich, famous, educated, talented black man like Will Smith can be violent at any moment.

I imagine Will Smith does not want to always carry the burden of representing his race. No one should have to do that. But the fact remains that systemic racism is only buttressed by his actions.

I have extra admiration for Chris Rock’s restraint in this matter.

jmo

WS is a drama king! His wife -could have been- the voice of her disease, but she choose not too.

And there are so many people roasted,so why should I care about an idiot,who can’t control his anger issues??!
He knows the world is watching...what an idiot!

I am a care taker,and work with people and family who are terminal and yet they have to endure cursing words ,like cancer!
They are above that all..so imo ,how the mighty fall..

I will never watch WS movies again,slap someone,for what??!

And the way he shouts,afterwards?? If a woman would have done that,with such an open mouth,so wide open..we can expect some sexist comments for sure..!

MOO!

CR has a history of mocking JPS. He knew. JPS has spoken many times in articles and on Red Table Talk about being terrified about her hair loss. Since 2018.

Chris Rock did a documentary on black hair including a black women with Alopecia.

You don’t play about black women’s hair, he knows that.

There are plenty of articles about why if one doesn’t already know about black hair dysphoria.

During his 2016 opening Academy Awards monologue, Rock made fun of Pinkett Smith for boycotting the Oscars because of the “Oscars so white,” turmoil. “Jada boycotting the Oscars is like me boycotting Rihanna’s panties. I wasn’t invited,” Rock said.

This year’s Academy Awards marked Pinkett Smith’s first major appearance without hair. And it was a big one as her husband was up for the best actor Oscar for his portrayal of Venus and Serena Williams’ father in the film, King Richard.

I’m sure as Pinkett Smith got dressed in her amazing emerald green Jean Paul Gaultier and Glenn Martens of Diesel and Y Project ruched gown, there was a lot of fretting about the Oscars red carpet.

Pinkett Smith has said on her streaming series Red Table Talk and on Instagram that she has always been vain about having hair. How would people receive her? Could she be stunning with a bald head?

For the record, she was.

Rock seems to enjoy hitting Black women below the belt.

In his 2009 documentary Good Hair, Rock spent the entire film making jokes about Black women’s hair.
Chris Rock’s joke about Jada Pinkett Smith’s hair loss was cruel. Will wasn’t having it.

Rock’s tawdry words on Sunday may have been a tactless joke, but I instantly recognised the look on Jada’s face when those words were uttered. The palpable feeling of all the air leaving the room whilst your skin is on fire, all eyes on you waiting for you to react. I recognised that frozen smile, the roll of eyes. The clasping of hands while she continued to keep her composure.

Black women's hair is too often the butt of jokes

WS is unlucky he wasn’t charged. He needs to have consequences like anyone else for his own well being.

CR’s “joke” was about as funny as an outhouse breeze.

All IMO

Other sources are saying he had no idea about her alopecia, so we can’t say he knew. I REALLY doubt he listens to her podcast. The majority of people didn’t know about her alopecia and still wouldn’t if WS hadn’t done what he did. I’m not seeing his joke as a personal attack on JPS as a black woman. I’m pretty sure if a white actress was sitting in the front row with a freshly shaved head he would have made the same joke. I think it was a silly joke because her head was shaved like Demi Moore’s was in GI Jane. She was also wearing an army green dress. Period. Not really funny but not at all mean. The Smiths sure were laughing at the other jokes all night at the expense of other people. Why is JPS off limits but everyone else is fair game?

Other sources are saying he had no idea about her alopecia, so we can’t say he knew. I REALLY doubt he listens to her podcast. The majority of people didn’t know about her alopecia and still wouldn’t if WS hadn’t done what he did. I’m not seeing his joke as a personal attack on JPS as a black woman. I’m pretty sure if a white actress was sitting in the front row with a freshly shaved head he would have made the same joke. I think it was a silly joke because her head was shaved like Demi Moore’s was in GI Jane. She was also wearing an army green dress. Period. Not really funny but not at all mean. The Smiths sure were laughing at the other jokes all night at the expense of other people. Why is JPS off limits but everyone else is fair game?
So what if he knew??
People take sh**t from others,all the time!
They make fun of you,when you are a child..

It’s not okay,but that is the world,the only control you have is your reaction.

WS lost it!! Not a great actor-not worthy of an Oscar!

Thanks, @gitana1 for posting this. I had wanted to allude to this topic, but as a white woman I didn't want to cross a line.

Now, though, there have been some famous black men like Jabar addressing it, so I will just say one thing.

In the minds of the hopeless racists out there, every black man is a savage, no matter his station in life. IMO one of the worst repercussions of what Will Smith did is to reinforce that stereotype to white supremacists. They are already inclined to believe that even a rich, famous, educated, talented black man like Will Smith can be violent at any moment.

I imagine Will Smith does not want to always carry the burden of representing his race. No one should have to do that. But the fact remains that systemic racism is only buttressed by his actions.

I have extra admiration for Chris Rock’s restraint in this matter.

jmo

It was just another entitled American ‘Karen’ YouTube moment.
Imo.

Last edited:
Yeah, in a way WS has acted like an entitled untouchable BULLY. He did this all, on a world stage...for the world to see. And so far, he's gotten away with it. The world is watching
He’s done some serious damage to his reputation in the industry though. He Kanyed himself. Who’s going to invite him to anything now? He’s known now for being an entitled ruiner.

Will should be happy it wasn't Joan Rivers up there delivering the lines! Really, now that the dust has settled, it's just really sad at many levels.

Amateur opinion and speculation
Or what about Don Rickles? Anyone remember him? He was on the Johnny Carson show frequently. He was absolutely brutal when making jokes about people, even people in the audience. I remember thinking his jokes were very tasteless, if not cruel.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back