Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Somethings are best left unsaid.
I mean....wow. Just wow. That's like saying, "This is the business of white folk and as a black person you aren't equipped to understand or have an opinion about it."

Wow. I'm gobsmacked that came out of the mouth of an MSNBC host.

IMO

ETA: I wonder if it has occurred to her that by her own rules she can't talk about or have an opinion about any events involving a white person (or any race that isn't black).

Last edited:
"Harriot claimed the Smith-Rock incident was an example of “how black people relate to each other” in a way that white people do not understand, “even though it happened to everybody [watching the ceremony].”

"Some people use their words, some people use their hands. It is what it is. In the black community, we understand that,” Brown said."

So is Chris Rock still a member of the "black community?" Because he sure didn't look like he "understood."

What a disgraceful thing to insinuate about one's own community. I hope that MSNBC person is canceled, fired, whatever.

Wait, what? Did she actually just say black people are just naturally violent within their community in a way white people don't understand???

"An MSNBC host over the weekend said white Americans should “sit this out” as controversy persists around Will Smith slapping stand-up comic Chris Rock during the Academy Awards last week."

"Harriot claimed the Smith-Rock incident was an example of “how black people relate to each other” in a way that white people do not understand, “even though it happened to everybody [watching the ceremony].”

"Some people use their words, some people use their hands. It is what it is. In the black community, we understand that,” Brown said."

MSNBC host Tiffany Cross says white people don't understand Will Smith slap
Pretty much just speechless

I mean....wow. Just wow. That's like saying, "This is the business of white folk and as a black person you aren't equipped to understand or have an opinion about it."

Wow. I'm gobsmacked that came out of the mouth of an MSNBC host.

IMO

ETA: I wonder if it has occurred to her that by her own rules she can't talk about or have an opinion about any events involving a white person (or any race that isn't black).

I have heard this woman speak before and recall changing the channel quickly.

I don't know why Will should be humiliated over it. Jada should be humiliated for shaming the family by sleeping with their kids' friends. That was her choice, not Will's.

Now, if Will had been sleeping with Willow's friends that would be something for him to be humiliated about. This is Jada's disgrace.

IMO

So is Chris Rock still a member of the "black community?" Because he sure didn't look like he "understood."

What a disgraceful thing to insinuate about one's own community. I hope that MSNBC person is canceled, fired, whatever.
IMO she's coming from a 'Critical Race Theory' perspective, which has taken over academia and is pervading other types of education.

I think the point she's making, from her perspective, is that white people have no right to judge people of other races. Like, if you went to dinner with people from a different culture, you have no right to judge their behaviour because it's different than yours.

It's tied up with referencing the long history of racial oppression and conquest by white people. It's a big deal, affecting universities, education, arts organizations, etc.

Beware of trying to argue against Critical Race Theory, that may be taken as evidence of your racism.

Anyone who fires her for saying this, for example, would probably be labelled racist.

JMO

But there's a connection.
Slap, kick, punch, stab, shoot, bomb.

Self defence, yes.

It's hypocritical to down play this display of violence because it's a famous person but condemn a random person who became violent because of road rage and slapped/punched the other driver's face. Why should WS get a free pass?

This whole site is dedicated to the victims who've suffered a violent attack, most have died.
If this incident happened off stage and the victim, CR, decided to defend himself, how bad could that situation get, one could fall and hit their head and die.
I can't believe I'm explaining the consequences of a violent act on Websleuths. :rolleyes:

Sorry, but this is false equivalency. This was nothing more than a half-hearted slap in a (barless) bar fight. Nothing whatsoever relates this to terrorism or war.
I just observed two grown women involved in a fight of sorts at the local Cumberland Farms. Shall I write up an account of it for Websleuths? Or should I wait until bombs inevitable start falling in the neighborhood as a result?
The Smith-Rock contretemps is only (marginally) more interesting because those involved were wearing tuxedos, as was the audience.

Would this be acceptable behavior at a wedding...where tuxedos feature also? Not exactly the same thing as a gas station....but then, LE would probably have been notified about that and the attacker arrested...

In either scenario I, personally, would not be defending violence/loss of self-control.

Sorry, but this is false equivalency. This was nothing more than a half-hearted slap in a (barless) bar fight. Nothing whatsoever relates this to terrorism or war.
I just observed two grown women involved in a fight of sorts at the local Cumberland Farms. Shall I write up an account of it for Websleuths? Or should I wait until bombs inevitable start falling in the neighborhood as a result?
The Smith-Rock contretemps is only (marginally) more interesting because those involved were wearing tuxedos, as was the audience.

IMO this was no half-hearted slap. A half-hearted slap does not spin ones's head around, as what happened to Chris. A half-hearted slap is more like someone just playing around, more like a light tap, like you might do to wake someone up.

The danger here was not just the full on, all his strength, roundhouse slap to the face that Will delivered, but the very real possibility that Chris could have lost his balance, fallen and hit his head. Chris had his hands behind his back, in no defensive posture at all because he didn't know what was coming.

We all know that people can die from hitting their head if they fall. I personally know someone who died this way, only in his 40s, from a slip and fall.

Below is one example of a slap that led to a death. There are others. Yes, Chris didn't fall and didn't die, so you'll likely think it's not a big deal. It so easily could have been.

Ex-soldier died after being slapped by son in game in Reading

IMO, it's certainly false equivalency to compare the internationally televised Academy Awards to a dive bar or whatever Cumberland Farms is (physical fights are not tolerated in any decent bar, nor physical violence in workplaces or shopping venues).

However, I can see you're very determined to minimize this and I don't need to convince you. Is it specifically intolerable to you that there is a WS thread about it? Scroll and roll as the mods say.

JMO

This wasn't two grown men involved in a fight. This was one man assaulting another.

The slap was vicious, the joke obviously was not since Smith laughed at it initially.

After the attack, Chris said he just wanted to go home and left the show. His attacker and his eye rolling wife, stayed and enjoyed themselves---laughing the night away.

This wasn't two grown men involved in a fight. This was one man assaulting another.

The slap was vicious, the joke obviously was not since Smith laughed at it initially.

After the attack, Chris said he just wanted to go home and left the show. His attacker and his eye rolling wife, stayed and enjoyed themselves---laughing the night away.

Let’s look at the joke, too. It wasn’t all that funny, but was it really offensive? She’s being put on a par with an actress 15 years younger than she is, (in an industry where age matters a lot.) She’s being put on a par with an actress who’s about 100 times more successful in the entertainment world than she is? (Just my guess as to the comparative fame of DM and JPS.)

Sounds like flattery to me. And that explains why the joke wasn’t all that funny—it was more of an acknowledgement of that dramatic-looking person sitting down front.

MOO

Cumberland Farms is a convenience store in New England. The fight was actually on the sidewalk out front, regarding a parking place. Police were called, but no charges were filed. So far, peace has held firm in the neighborhood with no widespread violence ensuing.

For me, it's about commonly understood standards for decent behaviour in a public gathering. As someone mentioned: a wedding, Thankgiving or Christmas dinner, a political forum, a performance by school kids...

- You don't march up on stage when it's not your cue
- you don't interrupt a performer or speaker who has the stage.
- you only speak when it's your turn.
- You are polite and respectful to other people, especially on stage in front of an audience
- You show that you are friendly by shaking their hand and smiling at them
- you maintain a positive and upbeat attitude towards the event of which you are just a small part.
- you remember this is supposed to be an exciting and fun night for all the other people, you don't ruin it for them by bringing your anger, hatred, swearing, hostility and violence into the event.
-You do unto others what you would have them do to you. Would WS want someone to interrupt his acceptance speech by coming up next to him on stage, swearing/ threatening him, telling him to shut up, not to mention slapping him?

JMO

Cumberland Farms is a convenience store in New England. The fight was actually on the sidewalk out front, regarding a parking place. Police were called, but no charges were filed. So far, peace has held firm in the neighborhood with no widespread violence ensuing.

The difference is that it wasn't millions of people watching someone many of them admired assault someone else.

IMO she's coming from a 'Critical Race Theory' perspective, which has taken over academia and is pervading other types of education.

I think the point she's making, from her perspective, is that white people have no right to judge people of other races. Like, if you went to dinner with people from a different culture, you have no right to judge their behaviour because it's different than yours.

It's tied up with referencing the long history of racial oppression and conquest by white people. It's a big deal, affecting universities, education, arts organizations, etc.

Beware of trying to argue against Critical Race Theory, that may be taken as evidence of your racism.

Anyone who fires her for saying this, for example, would probably be labelled racist.

JMO
I can sort of relate to where you're coming from with CRT, but this event doesn't really fit. The crime Will Smith perpetrated in front of the world has already been prejudged and outlawed by the collective society we live in. It's not a "cultural" difference - it's a crime of violence and doesn't fit under that umbrella.

Culture, religion, ethnicity <etc> are not defenses to a crime in the US. A crime is a crime, no matter who does it. That's just a fact, not a judgment.

In this case, the crime is going to go unpunished due to the "rich and powerful" privilege, but that doesn't change the reality that a crime was committed.

IMO

I said when I witnessed WS smack CR across the face, we’ve had fires, floods, homes lost, a pandemic and lockdowns, lives lost, rent increases, unemployment, more people living on the streets like the depression era, a war raging in Ukraine as we speak and I needed something to distract myself, and what did I get, what did everyone expecting the same, get?
A raging WS taking to the stage at a star studded gala evening and exerting his dominance using violence. He could’ve waited to speak to CR afterwards, he could’ve given a thumbs down while seated after he was shown laughing, just to please JPS. JPS could’ve invited CR to her Red Table Talk to discuss the joke….. several options but WS chose to assault CR in front of millions of people, his bruised ego couldn’t wait and he chose violence.
Shall I now change the channel, watch people fleeing for their lives, bombs falling, bodies discarded on the side of roads, my long deceased mother’s people helping those displaced people as she once was? Back to WS, smug face, victory is his, applauded by the crowd as he received his award, no one stopped him, no one protected CR, no one cared! Why can’t I expect to watch the Oscars without seeing an assault, is that too much to ask?

Imo, your posts indicate there’s faux rage in this thread? Maybe, your posts should be directed at WS? He was once a comedian now cancelling another comedian because he didn’t like his joke?!

Ask those ladies what they’re fighting over, I’m sure they’ve got a lot more on their plate than WS, having real hardships can push a person over the edge! WS has shown he’s an arrogant, selfish man who’s lost touch with reality, and by the Academy’s reaction, they have too. I was a big fan of WS, so I’m more than a little disappointed. :(

Violence begets violence.

This is what my mother always scornfully referred to as “airing your dirty laundry in public.” :eek: Why on earth would WS agree to discussing this affair on his wife’s show? Ratings? How humiliating!

From the link…
Will Smith faces humiliation as Jada Pinkett Smith ex-lover August Alsina references 'entanglement' | Daily Mail Online

The couple made headlines in July 2020 when they addressed Jada's affair with August on her candid talk show Red Table Talk.

She began explaining the couple met August through their son Jaden, 22, and recalled the singer, who would have been 23 at the time, was 'really sick' (as he battled a genetic liver disease.)

Jada said: 'And it all started with him just needing some help, me wanting to help his health, his mental state.
<snip>
'And then what did you do, Jada?' Will asked, urging his wife to keep talking.

'As time went on, I got into a different type of entanglement with August,' Jada explained.

The mother-of-two went on to respond to August's claim that Will gave her 'permission' to have an affair.

When Will pushed Jada to clarify what she meant by 'entanglement' she responded, 'It was a relationship, absolutely.'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back