Will Smith slaps Chris Rock on stage live at the OSCARS

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
After all the school shootings, and 9-11, and what’s happening in the Ukraine, I’m darn sure not going to be overly upset over the sight of one movie star slapping another- in public. Too bad it happened, but as violence goes, it’s extremely small potatoes.
But there's a connection.
Slap, kick, punch, stab, shoot, bomb.

Self defence, yes.

It's hypocritical to down play this display of violence because it's a famous person but condemn a random person who became violent because of road rage and slapped/punched the other driver's face. Why should WS get a free pass?

This whole site is dedicated to the victims who've suffered a violent attack, most have died.
If this incident happened off stage and the victim, CR, decided to defend himself, how bad could that situation get, one could fall and hit their head and die.
I can't believe I'm explaining the consequences of a violent act on Websleuths. :rolleyes:

But there's a connection.
Slap, kick, punch, stab, shoot, bomb.

Self defence, yes.

It's hypocritical to down play this display of violence because it's a famous person but condemn a random person who became violent because of road rage and slapped/punched the other driver's face. Why should WS get a free pass?

This whole site is dedicated to the victims who've suffered a violent attack, most have died.
If this incident happened off stage and the victim, CR, decided to defend himself, how bad could that situation get, one could fall and hit their head and die.
I can't believe I'm explaining the consequences of a violent act on Websleuths. :rolleyes:
WS is a victim-friendly forum. The victim is this case is Chris Rock. Minimizing his trauma and celebrating the perpetrator is the very antithesis of what WS stands for. <modsnip>

IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were traumatized and triggered by an incident so minor as the Oscar slap, no way would I be reading about the very real and hideous crimes discussed in such detail on WS.

After all the school shootings, and 9-11, and what’s happening in the Ukraine, I’m darn sure not going to be overly upset over the sight of one movie star slapping another- in public. Too bad it happened, but as violence goes, it’s extremely small potatoes.

You're entitled to your opinion here, of course, but the situation must have mattered to you in some way because you've posted on this thread. It's easy enough to have skipped this thread entirely.

I don't know where you are, but I lived through 9/11. My daughter was working a block away. I lost nine people I knew at the WTC and one on the plane. I also once had a school shooter at my school, though thank God he ended up not shooting anyone.

This is not that. It is certainly not that. It's not Ukraine. It is small potatoes compared to that. But it is an act of insidious and gratuitous violence which has far-reaching implications beyond that Academy stage.

My 8th grade NYC students don't watch the Oscars but they know Will Smith from the movies. They're very impressionable and while their heroes are mostly athletes, anyone famous who indulges in any violence, even "just" a slap, is something that helps them to internalize physical retaliation as okay.

These are the kind of things, although certainly not the only things, that lead them later to shoot someone who gave them a "look," or "disrespected" them in some way that they perceive merits a gun as retaliation, or a beat down enough to kill.

IMO and experience

Last edited:
School shooters, terrorists and aggressive dictators are not 'stars' held up for the highest approval and rewards in our society.

IMO this is about what are the highest values a successful person must aim for, not what are the lowest values that complete social failures and outcasts represent.

JMO

Wondered why no sightings.

Where in the world is Will Smith?

Sources say that days after the Oscar slap flap, Will was flown by his BFF, the Crown Prince of Dubai, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, aka “Fazza,” to the middle Eastern kingdom so he could cool out while his bad press burns like a California wildfire.

https://www.showbiz411.com/2022/04/...wn-prince-of-dubai-days-after-oscar-slap-flap

Maybe Denzel did sympathise with CR. It was, after all, an edited video.

Denzel said he realised there was more to WS's actions, which I believe there was.

I don't believe he said it was ok that WS used violence. Maybe, he's a close friend and rather than condemning him publicly, wanted to figure out what was going on with him.

If that was one of my friends, I too would have spoken to them, while still not condoning his behaviour.

At least Denzel is not pandering to the public. He's just expressing how he feels.

I’m fine with Denzel talking to WS and not CR. The reason, CR was under control, he was not going to escalate. WS on the other hand was a wild card, he appeared unhinged. IMO

I did feel really bad for CR and wanted to give the dude a hug myself and I hate hugging. lol

Having watched the videos, I don’t think this had anything to do with WS defending his wife’s “medical condition.” He was cracking up at the “GI Jane” joke while his wife looked angry…at him IMO. Rushing the stage and delivering the slap was his way of staying out of the doghouse or the guest room. “Look honey. I didn’t really think it was funny. Really I didn’t.” How stupid!
JMO FWIW

Sources say that days after the Oscar slap flap, Will was flown by his BFF, the Crown Prince of Dubai, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, aka “Fazza,” to the middle Eastern kingdom so he could cool out while his bad press burns like a California wildfire.
https://www.showbiz411.com/2022/04/...wn-prince-of-dubai-days-after-oscar-slap-flap

With friends like a Crown Prince, who needs the Academy? This sums up everything. WS has had a lot of big Hollywood names running interference for him, trying to soften the impact of the Big Slap. Whoopi, Denzel, Will Packer, ABC.
In fact Packer, on GMA, actually blamed Chris Rock for pretty much everything. Packer said Rock ad libbed the joke, Rock refused to have Smith removed, Rock didn't want Smith arrested.
Turned out none of that was true.

And by the way, in context of what's now considered the worst Oscars show ever, there was a lot of tasteless and offensive joke material the whole night. As well as a disrespectful In Memoriam, and a horribly presented Godfather segment. So basically everybody in the building had something to slap about.

But only one guy did. And that guy happens to be a major player, who produced the movie he won the award for, who produces his wife's talk show, and who has 6 or 7 projects going right now. Meanwhile, Chris Rock is on the road this week doing his stand-up tour.

That's why, IMO, this is important enough that we're all still talking about it. Will Smith is putting a ton of creative content out into the world, that reflects his values, his judgement, his world view. The guy who was smiling as he left the stage post-smack, the guy who danced all night after the awards, the guy whose apology centered on the way all this affected HIM. 'I'm heartbroken.'

It's great to see the public response to all this, though. On Deadline Hollywood, the Denzel story now has over 900 comments and the Whoopi story that just ran already has over 300. So we'll have to see how it all plays out.

So running and hiding. No surprise there.

Looks like Chris hired himself some muscle for his Boston show the other day. Too bad these guys weren't standing in WS's way at the Oscars. No way would he have picked a fight with them (or anyone else his own size). IMO
220405082934-chris-rock-boston-033022-restricted.jpg

Chris Rock's brother Kenny says the slap 'eats' at him - CNN

ETA: Picture Caption: Chris Rock enters the Wilbur Theater in Boston for the first of his two sold-out performances on March 30, 2022. Three days earlier, Rock was slapped by Will Smith at the Academy Awards.

It is unclear what disciplinary actions will be taken against Smith. Whoopi Goldberg, one of the academy’s governors, said on the talk show “The View,” “We’re not going to take that Oscar from him.”

Chris Rock's brother wants Will Smith's Oscar revoked, isn't accepting his apology

“He belittled my brother. He had no respect for him,” Kenny Rock said. “In my opinion, he embarrassed himself by doing that and his legacy by doing that.”

The knife

Hubby carries one like that, by the time it’s out of his pocket the blade is open.

He was approached years back by a guy that had been drinking and that was all hubby had to do was place his hand just like that and gently told him it was best he went home, he did.

Wait, what? Did she actually just say black people are just naturally violent within their community in a way white people don't understand???

"An MSNBC host over the weekend said white Americans should “sit this out” as controversy persists around Will Smith slapping stand-up comic Chris Rock during the Academy Awards last week."

"Harriot claimed the Smith-Rock incident was an example of “how black people relate to each other” in a way that white people do not understand, “even though it happened to everybody [watching the ceremony].”

"Some people use their words, some people use their hands. It is what it is. In the black community, we understand that,” Brown said."

MSNBC host Tiffany Cross says white people don't understand Will Smith slap

Wait, what? Did she actually just say black people are just naturally violent within their community in a way white people don't understand???

"An MSNBC host over the weekend said white Americans should “sit this out” as controversy persists around Will Smith slapping stand-up comic Chris Rock during the Academy Awards last week."

"Harriot claimed the Smith-Rock incident was an example of “how black people relate to each other” in a way that white people do not understand, “even though it happened to everybody [watching the ceremony].”

"Some people use their words, some people use their hands. It is what it is. In the black community, we understand that,” Brown said."

MSNBC host Tiffany Cross says white people don't understand Will Smith slap

Somethings are best left unsaid.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member