Will the Rebecca Zahau case be reopened?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Will the Rebecca Zahau case be reopened?

• No

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Yes, if they get a new lead.

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Yes, if a new witness comes forward.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I don't see any reason for the case to be reopened.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 16 24.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, the SDSO investigators would have confirmed Dina's presence at the hospital. That is Investigation 101. Have you seen the case files? Do you know for a fact that no nurses, or any person in the ICU, were interviewed by LE?

The Sheriff has gone on record stating that the ONLY proof he has of Dina being at the hospital was her cell phone record pings. Anne Bremner has the records and according to Dina, Jonah has the records as well. As that Jonah stopped talking to Dina a year ago, I doubt she has any clue whom Jonah has shared those records with or why. I would imagine if Jonah suspects Dina had anything to do with Rebecca's death he is scared of her. The kids might be too.

Hopefully they will. I don't think Dina wants at least one AG investigation open (Rebecca's) but we sure do. AG opening Rebecca and Max's death is the way to solve this once and for all. It will also likely explain away those pesky facts that Dina was not on video at the hospital nor was she seen in person during the hours of Rebeccas death and when the neighbors (that InParadise knows) saw her in front of Spreckels. Only her cell phone pinged at the hospital. No nurse verified Dina being at the hospital.

While it might be your opinion that no nurse verified Dina being at the hospital, it isn't a known fact. What is fact is that the Sheriff cleared both Jonah and Dinah and didn't find the witness credible. An investigation by the AG won't find the witness any more credible.

I doubt the AG orders a new investigation into RZ's death. A complete homicide investigation has already been done in her case. Max's death was not investigated as a homicide.

There is no good reason for the AG to treat the two cases as one and the same.

JMO

The Sheriff has gone on record stating that the ONLY proof he has of Dina being at the hospital was her cell phone record pings. Anne Bremner has the records and according to Dina, Jonah has the records as well. As that Jonah stopped talking to Dina a year ago, I doubt she has any clue whom Jonah has shared those records with or why. I would imagine if Jonah suspects Dina had anything to do with Rebecca's death he is scared of her. The kids might be too.

Sheriff Gore never said the cell phone pings were the ONLY proof there was of Dina being at the hospital. Jonah agrees with the SDSO findings, and also had his own detectives investigate. He does not suspect Dina, and there is no proof that "he stopped talking to Dina a year ago", IMO.

I'll restate: Jonah has the records as well. As that Jonah stopped talking to Dina a year ago, I doubt Dina has any clue whom Jonah has shared those records with or why. I would imagine if Jonah suspects Dina had anything to do with Rebecca's death he is scared of her. The kids might be too.

<modsnip>.

Apparently, the cell phone records were the only proof the Sheriff needed. Why waste time and resources gathering additional proof? I think if there was proof Dina wasn't at the hospital, he'd appreciate receiving it to determine credibility just as the witness who claims to have seen Dina was found not credible.

Jonah has publicly stated he accepts the ME's ruling of suicide in RZ's death. If he truly believes she had anything to do with RZ's death and is "scared of her" why wouldn't he share his concerns with the Sheriff?

I'm fairly certain the burden to prove Dina wasn't at the hospital is on the Sheriff and he has reached his final conclusion.

JMO

Sheriff Gore never said the cell phone pings were the ONLY proof there was of Dina being at the hospital. Jonah agrees with the SDSO findings, and also had his own detectives investigate. He does not suspect Dina, and there is no proof that "he stopped talking to Dina a year ago", IMO.

This is well known amongst anyone who works for Jonah, goes to temple with the family, and whom he is friends with. Along with whom those people talk to as well. Jonah no longer speaks with Dina or has any relationship with her.

This is well known amongst anyone who works for Jonah, goes to temple with the family, and whom he is friends with. Along with whom those people talk to as well. Jonah no longer speaks with Dina or has any relationship with her.

No surprise there. I doubt any mother of a dead child would have interest continuing a relationship with the ex-husband who failed to keep her son safe.

JMO

When LEO's are attempting to verify someone was, or was not in an ICU, they don't START with cell phone triangulation. Cell phone triangulation takes time. It is a measure investigated when there are NO DIRECT WITNESSES.

IF there were ANY witnesses who could attest to Dina being at Rady (even in the cafeteria), Gore would have said so. And so would Dina.

Logically, the overwhelming odds are that there are NO witnesses to Dina's presence at Rady. If there were, they would not have bothered with cell phone triangulation.

When LEO's are attempting to verify someone was, or was not in an ICU, they don't START with cell phone triangulation. Cell phone triangulation takes time. It is a measure investigated when there are NO DIRECT WITNESSES.

IF there were ANY witnesses who could attest to Dina being at Rady (even in the cafeteria), Gore would have said so. And so would Dina.

Logically, the overwhelming odds are that there are NO witnesses to Dina's presence at Rady. If there were, they would not have bothered with cell phone triangulation.

in homicide investigations/prosecutions, cell phone triangulation is far more reliable than witnesses.

I do believe if there were witnesses at Rady who knew Dina was NOT there during the hours in question, they would have stepped forward after the very public SDSO press conference.

It isn't up to Dina to prove she was or wasn't at the hospital. It is LE's job and they cleared her.

JMO

in homicide investigations/prosecutions, cell phone triangulation is far more reliable than witnesses.

I do believe if there were witnesses at Rady who knew Dina was NOT there during the hours in question, they would have stepped forward after the very public SDSO press conference.

It isn't up to Dina to prove she was or wasn't at the hospital. It is LE's job and they cleared her.

JMO

Cell phone triangulation is not as accurate as an eye witness or video. The only thing that it proves is the where abouts of the phone, not the owner of said phone.

Sorry but I have to disagree. An ICU has plenty of witnesses who are all pretty focused on patients and there is no guarantee their recall is perfect as to the comings and goings of a patient's parent.

In this case, the cell phone records were subpoened anyway. Evidence such as security video and cell phone records are far more reliable than witnesses. The Sheriff could not ignore the cell phone triangulation and he didn't.

JMO

http://www.innocenceproject.org/understand/Eyewitness-Misidentification.php

Eyewitness Misidentification

Eyewitness misidentification is the single greatest cause of wrongful convictions nationwide, playing a role in nearly 75% of convictions overturned through DNA testing.

While eyewitness testimony can be persuasive evidence before a judge or jury, 30 years of strong social science research has proven that eyewitness identification is often unreliable. Research shows that the human mind is not like a tape recorder; we neither record events exactly as we see them, nor recall them like a tape that has been rewound. Instead, witness memory is like any other evidence at a crime scene; it must be preserved carefully and retrieved methodically, or it can be contaminated.

I actually think the more interesting question is when DID Dina appear on the Rady surveillance cameras? What time does she last appear, and where, and what time does she re-appear?

I think the nurses notes might have that information, also. If the notes indicate neither parent at bedside all night, and then notes that Dina comes in at 5 or 6 am, well-- that would be quite interesting. Particularly if she was all showered up and fresh.

*And particularly if she was in DIFFERENT clothing.

Regardless of whether Rebecca's case is reopened, I think a cloud of suspicion that she was involved in Rebecca's murder will permeate the rest of Dina's life. Like Casey Anthony, Drew Peterson, etc. Sometimes the justice system doesn't work-- that's a fact.

Sorry but I have to disagree. An ICU has plenty of witnesses who are all pretty focused on patients and there is no guarantee their recall is perfect as to the comings and goings of a patient's parent.

In this case, the cell phone records were subpoened anyway. Evidence such as security video and cell phone records are far more reliable than witnesses. The Sheriff could not ignore the cell phone triangulation and he didn't.

JMO

<modsnip>. The ratio of nurses to patients on that ICU at Rady's is 1 nurse for every 2 patients during the graveyard shift. Unless Max's nurse was at the nurses station or only with her one other patient for several hours on end, Dina should have been seen in person. I am happy to be corrected if hospital legal wants to verify that this nurse (not naming her) did in fact see Dina between 11pm and 5am. But with a 1 nurse to 2 patient nursing ratio any nurse would notice Dina over a 6 hour stretch. Because no on saw her they had to use the cell phone triangulation.

Jonah no longer speaks to Dina, in my opinion and many others, because he is afraid of her. <modsnip>

I actually think the more interesting question is when DID Dina appear on the Rady surveillance cameras? What time does she last appear, and where, and what time does she re-appear?

I think the nurses notes might have that information, also. If the notes indicate neither parent at bedside all night, and then notes that Dina comes in at 5 or 6 am, well-- that would be quite interesting. Particularly if she was all showered up and fresh.

*And particularly if she was in DIFFERENT clothing.

Regardless of whether Rebecca's case is reopened, I think a cloud of suspicion that she was involved in Rebecca's murder will permeate the rest of Dina's life. Like Casey Anthony, Drew Peterson, etc. Sometimes the justice system doesn't work-- that's a fact.

I haven't seen any cloud of suspicion about Dina. Where exactly is it? The media has lost interest. The Sheriff cleared Jonah and Dina and ruled RZ's case a suicide. There is no comparison to the Anthony or Peterson case.

Casey Anthony and Drew Peterson were charged with crimes and the justice system did work there, too. Not everyone is going to agree with every outcome. That's life.

JMO

I haven't seen any cloud of suspicion about Dina. Where exactly is it? The media has lost interest. The Sheriff cleared Jonah and Dina and ruled RZ's case a suicide. There is no comparison to the Anthony or Peterson case.

Casey Anthony and Drew Peterson were charged with crimes and the justice system did work there, too. Not everyone is going to agree with every outcome. That's life.

JMO

The media hasn't lost interest. Ann Rule with over a dozen New York Times Best Seller's under her belt has a book coming out on this case in less than 2 weeks. I hardly call that the public or media losing interest. Simon and Shuster would never be promoting this book if it wasn't going to make money for them. My best guess, is that Jonah may have decided that being a gentleman and gracious to Dina's grief hasn't worked well for him so far. I imagine its very likely he may have long time close friends finally address the truth. It will be up to Anne to write what she interprets that as being.

The media hasn't lost interest. Ann Rule with over a dozen New York Times Best Seller's under her belt has a book coming out on this case in less than 2 weeks. I hardly call that the public or media losing interest. Simon and Shuster would never be promoting this book if it wasn't going to make money for them. My best guess, is that Jonah may have decided that being a gentleman and gracious to Dina's grief hasn't worked well for him so far. I imagine its very likely he may have long time close friends finally address the truth. It will be up to Anne to write what she interprets that as being.

And the public has not lost interest either: people still walk past Spreckels and point to the house and refer to it being the place where the young woman was murdered.

Ann Rule did not interview anyone from the Shacknai or Romano families.

I have many, many friends and acquaintances in both Coronado and San Diego. I have never heard any talk of anything other than the tragic death of Max and the suicide of Rebecca. Everyone I know accepted the rulings, but are now questioning the original finding in Max's death, not Rebecca's. JMO

I have many, many friends and acquaintances in both Coronado and San Diego. I have never heard any talk of anything other than the tragic death of Max and the suicide of Rebecca. Everyone I know accepted the rulings, but are now questioning the original finding in Max's death, not Rebecca's. JMO

Hi CG! Have you considered becoming verified? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member