Winter Storms Q, Rocky and other 2013 winter storms; How Much Snow/Ice Will You Get

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'd love a weather forum! We chase tornados, too, and I'm an avid hurricane follower.

Im in CO at 6600 feet. We are due for up to 12 inches. We already have a crapload on the ground from snow the other day. There are warnings from every avenue of the upcoming blizzardapocalypse. Yet, nothing is happening yet.....

All the snow doesnt bother me....it's the drivers who dont know how to drive:what: I lived in the last frontier for a number of years...-40 in winter, many feet of snow, long dark days. I can handle ANY winter storms now :D

My whole family lives way up in the mountains there, too. Wonder if you're neighbors. :seeya:

More with a map at accuweather.com:

Blizzard Looms for Amarillo, Wichita, Kansas City
Communities from the Texas panhandle to Missouri are bracing for an immobilizing blizzard to kickoff the workweek on Monday.
---
Windswept snow will develop in Oklahoma City later Monday with the all-out blizzard conditions expected not far to the city's north and west.

During the height of the storm, snowfall rates of 2 inches per hour will first develop in Gage, Okla., on Monday before slamming Wichita, Kan., and Enid, Okla., Monday afternoon and evening, then Chanute, Kan., and Kansas City, Mo., late Monday night.

Residents should also not be surprised to hear thunder or see lightning when the blizzard is unleashing the worst of its fury.
---

@ showme.. yes we are way overdue for that quake. I am afraid if it does happen in my lifetime it will be complete devastation and the split between the states will be very large..I would bet the ocean would flow in from the Gulf.. Your thinking?

I'd love a weather forum! We chase tornados, too, and I'm an avid hurricane follower.

Me too Weather Forum! Can find the threads easier. Please Tricia, Mods, please please please....with sugar or Sweet and Low on top.

I quit going elsewhere to chase...get enough action in our area and no need to find hotels or spend money on gas.

@ showme.. yes we are way overdue for that quake. I am afraid if it does happen in my lifetime it will be complete devastation and the split between the states will be very large..I would bet the ocean would flow in from the Gulf.. Your thinking?

Don't think it will split the states. New Madrid had 3 humongous quakes within a few weeks and it didn't happen then....though it widened and narrowed parts of the river. I can't see it happening next quake.

The Mississippi river bed rose up and cause the river to run backwards. River islands sunk and new ones formed and it changed part of the course of the river. Reelfoot lake was formed. Thousand plus quakes continued for years. I've seen New Madrid, lovely little town, and it is lower than the Mississippi River protected by a levee. I'd not want to be in New Madrid if the quake happens!

Having said that with our population in the many state areas it will be devastating. Less so if we are prepared as some preppers are. We ourselves are outside the devastation zone. Will get some damage.

Until late last night, the coming week was virtually weather-event-free for southeastern lower Michigan. Now, metro Detroit might get a major snowmaker on Tuesday. I'm hoping that the bark is worse than the bite.

Weather watch: Winter storm coming on Tuesday

Tuesday is the day to watch as a winter storm is bearing down on the area

Published On: Feb 24 2013 03:22:03 AM EST

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...sday/-/1719418/19059034/-/ubftex/-/index.html

All ready for winter storm part 2.

Took mom and my aunt to drug store and grocery store. We have restocked our supplies and firewood.

Will start off with some stinkin' freezing rain followed by massive snow dump in blizzard conditions. Some stations saying we won't get hit so hard...others say we are really in for it. Cars are allowed to park only on one side of the street if they need to park on the street, so snow plows are unobstructed.

We still have giant piles of hard packed snow everywhere.

One peeve of mine....why do they pile a 6 foot pile of snow next to the road exits in the parking lots of businesses? You can't see any oncoming traffic. Tons of space to pile the snow up in the middle of the lots. But a 6 foot pile of snow blocking traffic? Come on!

Well, at least in NE OK we're under a winter weather advisory. Yesterday it was some sort of general statement that we should "pick up a loaf of bread for me if you go out." Going to rain off and on all day and then possibly "transition to snow." Three inches perhaps. MEANWHILE, in Wichita, blizzard warning today and tonight, 8-13" possible, drifts 2-3'. 30-35 mph winds sustained, gusts to 40. Yes, that would be a blizzard, all right.

Well, at least in NE OK we're under a winter weather advisory. Yesterday it was some sort of general statement that we should "pick up a loaf of bread for me if you go out." Going to rain off and on all day and then possibly "transition to snow." Three inches perhaps. MEANWHILE, in Wichita, blizzard warning today and tonight, 8-13" possible, drifts 2-3'. 30-35 mph winds sustained, gusts to 40. Yes, that would be a blizzard, all right.

OMG it's already terribly windy.

They say the storm is moving slower than they thought. It's been snowing lightly all morning, but now it's heavy.

Texas getting hammered!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/25/us/weather-winter-storm/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

(CNN) -- The warnings couldn't have been more dire.

"DO NOT TRAVEL," the National Weather Service in Amarillo, Texas, posted on its website, telling residents not to venture out in what it was calling "a crippling, historic blizzard."

The storm was dumping snow over the Texas Panhandle at a rate of 2 to 3 inches an hour.

Almost all roads in the Panhandle were impassable, and whiteout conditions forced the state Department of Transportation to pull virtually all of its snowplows off roads, Texas DOT spokesman Paul Braun said Monday morning.

Blizzard hit here about an hour ago. It's dumping and blowing about 20-25 with gusts that seem like 100 mph lol.

Q ~ wasn't as horrible as thought for us. We ended up with probably 6 inches or so with 1/2 an inch of ice mixed it. I left work early on Thursday and the roads were horrible! It took me an hour to make normally a 20 minute drive. By Friday morning the roads were much better. MODOT did a great job!

We are expected to just get some rain from Rocky, or maybe an inch of snow. I'm so happy about that!

Everyone in Rockies path, please stay safe.

Friend Q in Wichita just emailed me a picture. Lots of snow in yard but streets clear. No pack of wolves charging across the street, teeth bared, at the camera man. A bit disappointing actually.

In NE OK, it's (drumroll) cloudy. +/- an inch of rain. Thundered. No snow with it.

No action yet. Rocky to hit us after dark with blizzard conditions. Weather reports vary a bit, be interesting to see who predicted the weather best.

I don't know where we are going to put the snow when we clear the driveway. Build a snow wall on both sides of the driveway. A few years ago we did have almost a 6 foot pile on both sides of the driveway.

The cold snowy winter weather makes me crave fresh baked chocolate chip cookies, clam chowder and other goodies.

Anyone else get certain cravings when it's cold and snowy?

February 25, 2013 Blizzard
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ama/?n=feb25blizzard

Historic blizzard for the Texas Panhandle.

Thanks HMSHood. First time I've ever seen sideways icicles hanging from a gutter!

Just got up and made some coffee quickly as power outages are all over the place. Our utilities in the neighborhood are underground so I hope our power stays on. Thick slushy mess outside. Tree limbs are drooping and some trees uprooted from the weight of the snow.

Not as many wrecks today as people are staying off the roads. If city tows your car off the road can cost you 200 dollars or more.

We've got between 6-8 inches so far and it's still snowing with heavier snow bands coming.

And once again, extreme NE OK commanded, Let there be white; and lo, verily, finally, there was white; about 3-5" of it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back