Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Would you be frightened being left in a remote trailer with two little kids at night?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 149 36.1%
  • Nope

Votes: 130 31.5%
  • Not with a dog.

Votes: 53 12.8%
  • Not with a security system, a gun, and a dog.

Votes: 81 19.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I have another incident to add to my list of scary encounters in the country:

Once I was backpacking and camping with a friend up in the mountains and when we came back down to our car at the trailhead (where nothing had ever happened before) our car was shot full of bullet holes, our car trunk had been ransacked and we were informed later that a fugitive was hiding out in the area and was on the loose.

Oh, I have another incident to add to my list of scary encounters in the country:

Once I was backpacking and camping with a friend up in the mountains and when we came back down to our car at the trailhead (where nothing had ever happened before) our car was shot full of bullet holes, our car trunk had been ransacked and we were informed later that a fugitive was hiding out in the area and was on the loose.

OMG! That's it! I'm never going into the country again!

Just kidding. There are crazy people everywhere. I'm glad you and your friend weren't around when it happened.

I would not be afraid. Crime rates in the city are much higher than the country. Plus the amount of RSO is very very high in most citys.
One Poster said: " I certainly would not live in an area where there are SO's if I had children."... Well, I am afraid that is impossible in todays world. Check http://www.familywatchdog.us/ type in your address and see how many RSO's in your area. I have never seen it say 0. Plus if an area has no registered SO's there is always the unregistered. Sad but true.

voted 'not with a big dog, security system and a gun'
I live in the country, and everyone watches out for everyone else. And I have a tiny dog, no gun, and no security system. LOL However, no trailer either. That might make a difference. If there's a different car in our "neighborhood" for more than a day, EVERYONE knows about it. And I LIKE that. Personally, I always had the feeling of being watched when we lived in the 'burbs.....

I grew up in the country, the woods actually. I was never scared. We never locked our doors and never had any problems. It has only been in the last 5 or so years that I know keep a dog in the house to be alerted if someone tries to come in a take my kids. We used to only worry about our kids in the yard playing. Predators are now coming into our houses and stealing our kids out of their beds. And yes I sleep like the dead, but with 3 mini dachshunds that bark at everything, I wake up to their barking.

I grew up in the country, the woods actually. I was never scared. We never locked our doors and never had any problems. It has only been in the last 5 or so years that I know keep a dog in the house to be alerted if someone tries to come in a take my kids. We used to only worry about our kids in the yard playing. Predators are now coming into our houses and stealing our kids out of their beds. And yes I sleep like the dead, but with 3 mini dachshunds that bark at everything, I wake up to their barking.

I swear those mini dachshunds could even detect spiritual beings!

I grew up in the woods, well, no not feral, but in the countryside area and I was more afraid of what went on inside our house than outside.

I've always lived in the country, so it wouldn't scare me. Crime statistics in the area would be a consideration though.

I think for the most part the Family of Haleigh has been raised in this rural part of Florida. I was looking at the photo of the woods that face out the backdoor, and they are probably aware that past offenders SO's and cons live in the vicinity. I would NOT feel safe. I wouldn't live there, and I sure as heck would not live there with a child under 15 years old!

If you were seventeen with two small children in your care?? Absolutely! I don't think you'd be propping the back door open, either. I had my back door open taking trash out once and came back in to a big ole Florida black snake in my kitchen.

Not at all. I grew up in a farm community, very rural, then moved to a very populated Phoenix AZ, then to San Diego CA where I lived for 8 years....then to SLC where I live now, with a second home in the woods in VA. I would much rather move the kids to VA to live in the woods...I feel much more safe there...and the crime rate per capita proves it is a safer area to live.

I was babysitting little kids when I was 13, parents coming home at 3:00 AM (bars closed around 2 AM) out in rural type mobile home parks in the "city" portion of where I grew up....never recall a moment where I was frightened, with the exception of the time my jerk sister and her friends decided to come bang on the side of the mobile home to try and scare me....it worked till I looked out and saw her car.

I checked last week, and we have 25 SO on the list within a two mile radius of my house....we lock our doors, have a dog, and a security system here....

I would be afraid. Especially if I had two small children in my care. Unfortunately, what's her name, had no idea what could have happened. Oh yeah. Misty.

They say ignorance is bliss.... sometimes I think it works the other way..... too much information. That's me.

If you were seventeen with two small children in your care?? Absolutely! I don't think you'd be propping the back door open, either. I had my back door open taking trash out once and came back in to a big ole Florida black snake in my kitchen.

Eeeeeeeew! :eek: I am scared of snakes!

A lot of people are just plain fortunate to have not been crime victims.

I voted yes, because absolutely, I would be very scared. But for most of these people, if its not been pointed out already, this is their way of life. They have probably lived this way since they were little, so they think nothing of it.

I was from the big city (and got hassled about it constantly by suburban friends, but I loved it and still miss it!)
I recently (2 years ago) moved to the country because I got married.
People I know are naive, they do not realize things can happen no matter where you live.
So I feel the same way no matter where I live and try to use common sense to avoid situations.
Thats all any of us can do in these times.

If RC & MC would have had a dog - we all wouldn't be here talking about where's Haleigh.

Have to add a "drug fact" in here. People who do coke are VERY PARANOID when they are high (I have witnessed this). So I would think MC (if doing drugs) would have had a "heightened awareness" of being there alone with the kids. Maybe that's why they all slept in the same room.

You might have a point. I have a little toy poodle that has no other use but cuddling, but he barks like crazy when he senses anyone on our property. He sounds like a big dog so the mail-people are always scared to knock on the door (he barks before they're even at the door). Even though he's tiny he'd be good at scaring people off.

I think for the most part the Family of Haleigh has been raised in this rural part of Florida. I was looking at the photo of the woods that face out the backdoor, and they are probably aware that past offenders SO's and cons live in the vicinity. I would NOT feel safe. I wouldn't live there, and I sure as heck would not live there with a child under 15 years old!

Does anyone have a link to an actual photo of the area around the trailer? I've seen the google map route that the dogs took, but would like to see a pic.

If I were 17 with 2 small kids to care for.. yes, I'd be afraid at night.
Especially with the area being infested with sex offenders.

<insert running chicken>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member