Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's most definitely not the Detective in the grey suit. No way.

I hadn't ever seen Dina or Nina before. My first thought seeing the pics above is that isn't the Detective. Then I googled DS. Yeah, that's who it is!

Anne Rule's book can say whatever it wants but that is not the Detective.

However neither woman has very good taste in clothes!! Lol

Hi guys,

I was trying to find what Det. Tsuida was wearing on July 13, 2011 (grey suit with white shirt or black suit with blue shirt). There is not much, plus I was looking for something with time stamp to confirm the date.
There is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUkxn15oqpk (music is kind of inappropriate), approximately on 52 sec you can see detective walking thorough the mansion door, wearing grey suit with a white shirt. It is definitively her, she is wearing white gloves as she is walking in to the crime scene. There is a glimpse of woman approx at 1 min 10 sec, standing next to male officers, again wearing grey suit, but you can't see her face, only that she has very long dark hair.
Most importantly, the video was uploaded on July 13, 2011, so it must be from the very first day of investigation. Let me know what you think.

ETA: Also, approx on 34 sec looks like there is a woman wearing black jacket/suit with dark hair made into low bun, but you can't see her face, so I am not sure who is she. But I think they are two different females. Author of the video appears to be local and somehow related to law enforcement.

New document posted 12/17/14 on the San Diego Register of Actions.

Docket #71, Case Management Statement, filed by Dina Shacknai. 5 pages.

Specific items of interest:

Item #16- date discovery to be completed (Form and Special Interrogatories, Requests for Admissions,
Demand for Production of Documents, Depositions and numerous third-party subpoenas, etc).:

DS attorney estimates 2-3 years.

Item 10, alternative dispute resolution- none are checked, indicating filer DS not willing to proceed with ADR

Item 6- Trial date- no date set
Attorney comment:
We are already beyond the one-year anniversary of the filing of the complaint and at
least 2-3 more years of discovery and motion will be necessary

Item 7- Estimated length of trial: 20 days

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...4_Case_Management_Statement_1418934723953.pdf

Screecher, I made space for u...

Happy holidays!

Item #16- date discovery to be completed (Form and Special Interrogatories, Requests for Admissions,
Demand for Production of Documents, Depositions and numerous third-party subpoenas, etc).:

Item 10, alternative dispute resolution- none are checked, indicating filer DS not willing to proceed with ADR

Attorney comment:

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...4_Case_Management_Statement_1418934723953.pdf

Again, one would think that if DS had witnesses willing to testify that she was at the hospital the entire evening of Rebecca's murder, that she would be most interested in presenting this proof as quickly as possible. Instead of taking the opprtunity to clear her name, however, she's choosing to attempt to drag out the discovery process and trial as long as possible. That certainly won't work in her favor when the jury is deliberating.

Imagine how peeved the jury will be to discover she worked so long to wast their time.

^ IMO, not as peeved as the jurors will be when they discover that the Zahaus have no evidence to back up their outragous claims, and wasted tons of court time and taxpayer money in an effort to make money off Rebecca Zahau's victims.

Attorney comment:

Item #11 - Insurance

Chubb & Sons is listed as an insurance carrier for parties filing this statement.

Imo, this is likely telling us Dina has a personal umbrella policy. In relation to the case, I don't believe it would be necessary for Dina to list her homeowners policy. The murder did not occur on her property. Hence the reason I believe she is covered by a personal umbrella policy. The policy coverage could be 1 million, 10 million or even more for liability coverage. I am interested in the coverage amount. This could take Jonah's money out of the equation, at least regarding this case and Dina.

Excess Liability coverage - http://www.chubb.com/personal/content/products/excess_liability.html

An Excess Liability Policy Can Mean Real Piece Of Mind

Litigiousness in the U.S. has become a common fact of life. Are your assets adequately protected?
Consider the consequences:

• You are at fault in an auto accident and the other driver has severe injuries
  • A deliveryman slips on your icy steps and breaks his leg
  • Your child is accused of bullying through a social media post
These events could easily result in a lawsuit and your primary liability coverage may not provide enough protection.
The solution is Excess Liability insurance. We offer broad coverage and limits up to $50 million.

A side note, should we see a case management form filed by Adam and Nina?

Again, one would think that if DS had witnesses willing to testify that she was at the hospital the entire evening of Rebecca's murder, that she would be most interested in presenting this proof as quickly as possible. Instead of taking the opprtunity to clear her name, however, she's choosing to attempt to drag out the discovery process and trial as long as possible. That certainly won't work in her favor when the jury is deliberating.

Imagine how peeved the jury will be to discover she worked so long to wast their time.

Good point Betty... it seems to me that if Dina had proof she was in the hospital all night, that this would have been presented a long time ago (even before they got to the point of a civil suit).

More on Excess Liability Coverage -

An Excess Liability policy from Chubb offers broad coverage and limits ranging from $1 million to $50 million:

•Property Damage and Bodily Injury: Coverage applies in the event that you are liable for someone being injured on your property.

•Personal Injury: Chubb includes this important coverage which applies to situations such as lawsuits involving accusations of libel, slander, or negligent infliction of bodily injury.

•Defense Costs: Chubb covers the cost to defend a lawsuit, even if it is groundless, false or fraudulent. Chubb will provide legal counsel with coverage for all expenses incurred. In most states, there is no cap on this coverage.

•Excess Uninsured/Underinsured (UM/UIM) Motorists Protection: Chubb offers up to $1 million in Excess UM/UIM coverage that provides benefits directly to you and your covered passengers if involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured driver.

http://www.chubb.com/personal/content/resources/chubb_coverage/excess_liability_coverage.html

Just assuming here for a minute Dina is covered by such an insurance policy. Assume she has a $50 million policy. How much of a difference do you think this would make in her defense strategy and/or representation? I'm unsure how the policy would read. The insurance company may require their policyholder to use a particular firm. I personally believe this would make a huge difference in the money being spent if it is not coming directly out of Dina's pocket. As well, I think it would play a large role in any settlement discussions.

Dina is considered wealthy. I would not be surprised if she had this coverage. Any good insurance agent would recommend it to their wealthy clients. However, I do not think Nina or Adam are as wealthy as Dina. Sure Adam probably has Jonah's support, but I think it is likely these two did not take out an excess policy. Maybe this is the reason the defense strategies appear to be so different between the 3 defendants? Possibly a reason the 3 seem to not be coordinating their defense. Nina and Adam, more Nina are using their pocket money. Just thinking out loud.

AZlawyer, if you're reading this thread, does this logic sound feasible? Am I interpreting the insurance question from the case management statement correctly? TIA

New entry on San Diego Register of Actions. Document #72, filed today, 7 pages. Plaintiffs Case Management Statement.

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...4_Case_Management_Statement_1419014579781.pdf

Highlights:

Item 7: Length of trial- Zahau Plaintiffs estimate 12-15 days

Item 10c: Alternative Dispute Resolution- Plaintiffs are willing to participate in Settlement Conference

Item 15: Other Motions: Hearing on Motion for Protective order scheduled Jan 30, 2015

Item 16: Discovery. Plaintiffs estimate the following completion dates for discovery:

Deposition of Parties: February 2015
Third Party Depositions: June 2015
Expert Depositions: August 2015

Item 18: Other issues;

The party or parties request that the following additional matters be considered or determined at the case management conference (specify):

Counsel for Defendant, Nina Romano stated that she intends to file a Request to Stay this Action Pending the
Resolution of the Federal Court Complaint (Case Nox 1 3-CV-1 624-W-NLS). Defendant, Nina Shacknai's
Demurrer is scheduled for August 7, 2015.

*The case management conference referred to is January 9, and appears that it will be conducted by telephone between the judge, the parties, and attorneys.

Just assuming here for a minute Dina is covered by such an insurance policy. Assume she has a $50 million policy. How much of a difference do you think this would make in her defense strategy and/or representation?

Respectfully snipped.

Good thoughts, Lash, about the potential for excessive liability coverage, in addition to a very likely primary liability policy. I think it's possible that DS does have an excessive liability policy, which probably would have been recommended to her to obtain following her divorce, and what is widely thought to be a quite substantial divorce settlement from JS.

If this is true, and primary AND excessive liability policies exist, that are paying attorney fees, etc, the insurance company may be required by their policies to be involved in decision making. Typically, an insurance company retains the right, in some cases like car accidents, to settle claims within the limits of the policy, WITHOUT the approval of the insured. It gets complicated when there is both a primary policy, and an excessive policy-- the primary limits typically have to be used up before the excessive kicks in.

Here's an interesting discussion about primary liability, and the role of excess liability, in settling civil cases. Insurance law is a very convoluted, and highly specialized area of law.

Case A:

An insured is sued in a personal injury action. Its primary insurer undertakes to defend the action, but the excess carrier disclaims coverage. The insured and its primary carrier enter into settlement negotiations with the plaintiff, but the excess carrier refuses to participate in those discussions. The insured and primary carrier reach an agreement with the plaintiff, according to which (a) the primary carrier pays the plaintiff $46,500 of its $50,000 policy limit, and (b) the plaintiff executes a partial release in favor of the insured, releasing the insured from any liability not covered by its excess insurance, and specifically reserving the plaintiff's rights to attempt to collect any award in excess of $50,000 from the disclaiming excess insurer's policy.

Case B:

After a fatal accident, and in anticipation of litigation, the prospective defendant's primary liability insurer (with a per occurrence limit of $100,000) makes the following pre-suit settlement with the wrongful death claimant: (a) the primary insurer pays the claimant $70,000 out of its $100,000 limit, (b) the claimant releases the insured from making any further payment C other than from the insured's excess insurance policy C as a result of any judgment that might be entered in the anticipated wrongful death suit, and (c) in the event of a judgment in excess of $100,000 in the anticipated wrongful death suit, the insured and its excess carrier are to receive a credit in the amount of the full $100,000 primary limit. The insured's excess carrier (with a $1,000,000 limit) is aware of and participates in the negotiations, but is not a party to the agreement. Instead, the excess carrier explicitly reserves its right to contend that it has no liability. The claimant then files a wrongful death suit, which is "defended" by the primary carrier. The "defense" consists of consenting to entry of a judgment for plaintiff in the amount of $150,000. The plaintiff thereafter looks to the excess carrier to satisfy the $50,000 of the agreed judgment in excess of the $100,000 primary limits.

In Case A, many would see no problem in finding that the primary policy's limits had been exhausted by the settlement, despite the fact that the primary carrier did not actually pay its entire limit in cash. That was, in fact, the result in one case.[iv] Case B, however, is another matter.

In Case B, the insured and primary insurer colluded with the plaintiff to "set up" the excess carrier. The apparent intent was for the plaintiff and defendant to avoid all litigation risk, the primary carrier to save thirty percent of its policy limits and avoid defense costs, and the excess carrier to be stuck with a judgment after a sham defense. Not surprisingly, in a case on those facts, it was held that the primary carrier's settlement extinguished any potential liability of the excess carrier.[v]

Several reported cases deal with the same basic legal issue: whether a partial settlement of a claim for less than the primary carrier's limits may constitute "exhaustion" of those limits, at least for the purpose of triggering an excess insurer's indemnity obligation. The two cases posited above are at polar extremes of the issue, but there are numerous possible permutations between the relatively innocent settlement approved in the first example and the transparent conspiracy criticized in the latter case. Whether such partial settlements are enforced as intended depends on both the specific terms of the settlement agreement and other aspects of the forum's general body of insurance law.

http://www.sacslaw.com/CM/Articles/Articles15.asp

Arizona Attorney Daniel Benchoff was approved by Judge Whelan, to assist DS's local attorneys on the Federal WDS (which is currently stayed, as the State WDS proceeds), and entered today on the docket.

12/19/2014 58 ORDER Approving Pro Hac Vice. Added attorney Daniel Benchoff. Signed by Judge Thomas J. Whelan on 12/16/2014.(ag) (Entered: 12/19/2014)

https://www.pacer.gov/ Case 13-01624; Docket entry #58.

Respectfully snipped.

Good thoughts, Lash, about the potential for excessive liability coverage, in addition to a very likely primary liability policy. I think it's possible that DS does have an excessive liability policy, which probably would have been recommended to her to obtain following her divorce, and what is widely thought to be a quite substantial divorce settlement from JS.

If this is true, and primary AND excessive liability policies exist, that are paying attorney fees, etc, the insurance company may be required by their policies to be involved in decision making. Typically, an insurance company retains the right, in some cases like car accidents, to settle claims within the limits of the policy, WITHOUT the approval of the insured. It gets complicated when there is both a primary policy, and an excessive policy-- the primary limits typically have to be used up before the excessive kicks in.

Here's an interesting discussion about primary liability, and the role of excess liability, in settling civil cases. Insurance law is a very convoluted, and highly specialized area of law.

http://www.sacslaw.com/CM/Articles/Articles15.asp

Thank you, KZ :)

Are you thinking there may be two liability policies? A personal umbrella policy and an excessive liability policy? I think you could have both ins policies since they have different types of coverages. I need to look further into it. I'm curious if the same ins co would cover an insured under both policies or whether it would have to be two separate ins companies.

Doing some research on Google I found Schumann and Rosenberg provides 'insurance defense'. As well, they have represented Chubb Insurance in a suit.

Chubb National Insurance Company v. Cookes Crating Inc et al

Plaintiff: Chubb National Insurance Company
Represented by: Kim Schumann
Represented by: Eric Arevalo

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/california/cacdce/2:2011cv06579/509347

Insurance Defense

Schumann | Rosenberg has been recognized and entrusted as Major Case Unit Panel Counsel by top insurance companies and their insureds for its skillful and sophisticated defense of their highest exposure and most complex matters. Our insurance defense litigation team has substantial experience in Trial, Arbitration and Mediation of a wide variety of the largest and most complicated personal injury, catastrophic injury, brain damage, wrongful death and property damage cases saving our valued clients millions of dollars in frivolous and inflated claims. Our attention to detail, aggressive investigation and strategizing of claims has resulted in our being nominated-for and winning Defense-Counsel-of-the-Year awards.

http://www.schumannrosenberg.com/Insurance-Defense

Umbrella vs. Excess

https://www.trustedchoice.com/content/2012/01/excess-or-umbrella/

If you have increased the liability limits of your home, auto or other insurance policy to as high as your company will offer and still are not comfortable, you have two options. The first is typically called an excess liability policy. This policy does nothing to the terms of your other insurance policies - it simply raises the limit of liability you have available for a claim. Think of this policy as dollars held in reserve if a claim exceeds the limits you currently have available.

A second option is a personal umbrella policy. Most umbrella policies function as an excess liability policy. However, in addition to acting as a reserve, the umbrella provides additional coverage for types of losses that otherwise would not be paid. Examples of additional coverage may include:

• Expanding the auto coverage territory to almost anywhere in the world
  • Personal injury coverage for claims such as libel or slander
  • Liability for certain claims resulting from your role as a director/officer of an organization.

Thank you, KZ :)

Are you thinking there may be two liability policies? A personal umbrella policy and an excessive liability policy? I think you could have both ins policies since they have different types of coverages. I need to look further into it. I'm curious if the same ins co would cover an insured under both policies or whether it would have to be two separate ins companies.

Doing some research on Google I found Schumann and Rosenberg provides 'insurance defense'. As well, they have represented Chubb Insurance in a suit.

BBM. Yes, that's exactly what I'm thinking. I think it's very likely DS has a regular umbrella policy, AND an excessive liability policy. I'm guessing she had some financial counseling at the time of her divorce settlement, in preparation for managing what is widely felt to be a large amount of money and assets she was awarded.

Her attorneys (and wasn't Gloria Allred involved, in addition to Angela Hallier?) would have advised her about making sure she set up ongoing advisors for wealth management (attorneys, accountants, etc) IMO. It doesn't appear that she has had work related income since the divorce, so it would be of crucial importance to make sure she had very good advice to protect the resources she has. IMO. (Wealth doesn't manage itself, lol! It needs ongoing "tending", or unfortunate things can happen to it, and its owner.....)

So, what is the meaning behind all this insurance policy talk? Are you all still trying to figure out how she can afford her defense? And if so, why?

If she does have these two policies, imo she does, I wonder when she purchased the excessive liability policy.

So, what is the meaning behind all this insurance policy talk? Are you all still trying to figure out how she can afford her defense? And if so, why?

MNT, I have never cared about how Dina can afford her defense. To be clear, the insurance discussion is not about how Dina can afford her defense. The discussion is about how much control the insurance company may have in the suit.

Take a look at my post above where I list item #11. The insurance discussion began because in the case management document there is an insurance question. Dina's attorneys listed Chubb and Son's. This detail could have a large impact on Dina's defense. Actually, the whole suit. If Dina is covered by any of these policies she may not be holding the reigns. The insurance companies may have the rights under the policy to choose her legal counsel and ultimately choose what course of action to take.

If she does have these two policies, imo she does, I wonder when she purchased the excessive liability policy.

Imo, right after her divorce settlement. If Dina purchased the policy after Rebecca's death, 7/13/2011, I do not believe the policy would cover any events that occurred before the policy inception date.

Just thinking why in hell would someone think/want they would need/take this additional policy out???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member