Wrongful Death Suit filed Nov. 13, 2013 in California, #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does this mean nothing happened to the conference or hearing or whatever they were supposed to have today?

The Ex Parte hearing was on Thursday. It was a request by Zahau attorney Greer to reschedule yesterday's hearing to March. Greer had a scheduling conflict. A court appearance in a different case. The court calendar has been updated to show all the demurrer's will be heard on 3/11/2016. That's what happened Thursday, the judge granted Greer's request to reschedule.

The Ex Parte application is on the court document thread, ROA 297.

Crime writer Gary C. King has finally gotten his book, "mystery death at the spreckels mansion" published by Amazon, will be available for Kindle near the end of March, and is listed on Amazon right now

Thanks so much. I will be ordering it and reading it tonight!

Waitaminute-- thank you for posting this! I had totally forgotten about this book in progress. Hopefully, it brings more awareness to Rebecca's case.

Found the amazon link-- it's available May 25. (It's pretty affordable, too!)

You are so right. I was hoping to read it right away! I thought I might get some of my questions answered.

On another note most of the threads are closed. I have a question about a possible scenario that came up when I was discussing this case with a friend. Is there anywhere I can post it to see what people think?

You are so right. I was hoping to read it right away! I thought I might get some of my questions answered.

On another note most of the threads are closed. I have a question about a possible scenario that came up when I was discussing this case with a friend. Is there anywhere I can post it to see what people think?

You might consider contacting a moderator to ask the best way to handle that, so as to help keep this thread on topic. Bessie has been a regular moderator for this forum, and I think she might be good to ask.

In the past, admins have been unwilling to re-open old threads here, or allow new threads, for discussion. I don't know if that is still the current policy, but you could ask.

You might consider contacting a moderator to ask the best way to handle that, so as to help keep this thread on topic. Bessie has been a regular moderator for this forum, and I think she might be good to ask.

In the past, admins have been unwilling to re-open old threads here, or allow new threads, for discussion. I don't know if that is still the current policy, but you could ask.

I have, thank you. We'll see what they say.

I have contacted a moderator twice now - no response either time.:thinking:

There are close to 100 thousand members here.

I have contacted a moderator twice now - no response either time.:thinking:

It's possible that several mods/ admins are discussing your question among themselves, to be sure they have consensus on their decisions. Or, silence may be the answer to your question. They may not have time to answer every PM.

I think it's also good to remember that these kind of forums and discussion sites are privately owned. As such, the owner/s can make decisions about what topics they are willing to host, what kind of dialogue is permitted, etc. It's not like "majority rules" among the posters, or something.

I used to use an example that a forum discussion hosted privately is just like inviting people into your home for a dinner party. The homeowner decides how they wish to host their guests, decides on the menu, and offers hospitality. The guests don't get to tell the homeowner what to cook for the dinner party, or get to rummage around in the host's kitchen to cook up a different entree. To give another example, if a dinner party guest displayed offensive behavior, or insulted the host or other guests, the host might invite them to leave. And if an unruly guest started breaking the china, or breaking windows, it's pretty certain they wouldn't be invited back!

There are other places on the web that discuss topics that aren't covered here-- politics, for example. There are other places on the web to discuss the Zahau case, as well.

Two new documents on the San Diego ROA. (Bessie will post in court document threads as pdf's if links below time out.)

308 is 10 pages; 309 is 4 pages. Both filed by the Zahaus.

309 02/29/2016 Objections (Objection to Request for Judicial Notice) filed by Estate of Rebecca Zahau; Estate of Robert Zahau; Zahau-Loehner, Mary; Zahau, Pari Z.

308 02/29/2016 Memorandum of Points and Authorities (in Opposition to Demurrer to Second Amended Complaint) filed by Estate of Rebecca Zahau; Estate of Robert Zahau; Zahau-Loehner, Mary; Zahau, Pari Z.

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...er_to_Second_Amended_Compla_1456945932107.pdf

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...Request_for_Judicial_Notice_1456945933310.pdf

Both documents filed by the Zahaus. Both documents have to do with Nina Romano's assertion of the medical examiner's report (autopsy) of Rebecca.

Zahau attorneys argue, as I understand it, that the medical examiner's report of Rebecca's death is not properly considered with the demurrer as it is filed. In essence, the Zahau attorney argues that the ME report is evidence to be considered later in the civil case process, with other evidence and discovery.

Plaintiffs object to Defendant Nina Romano's Request for Judicial Notice of the San Diego Medical Examiner's Reports on grounds that they are extrinsic evidence that should not be considered for purposes of a demurrer, where the facts of the complaint are presumed to be true.

A rebuttable presumption requires the trier of/act, given a showing of the preliminary fact...to assume the existence of the presumed fact... "unless and until evidence is introduced which would support a finding of its nonexistence, in which case the trier of fact shall determine the existence or nonexistence of the presumed fact from the evidence and without regard to the presumption." Cal. Evid. Code§ 604. As the court must take the material allegations in the Second Amended Complaint to be true, the facts as pleaded are sufficient to rebut any presumption.

Moreover, as enumerated in Bohrer v County of San Diego, 104 Cal.App.3d 155 164-165 (1980), it is improper when ruling on a demurrer to take judicial notice of the "conclusion" contained in a coroner's report that the a death was due to suicide, where the effect is to indisputably establish cause of death. See also Parker v. Fid. Sec. Life Ins. Co., 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 69424, 7-8 (E.D. Cal. Sept. 11, 2007). Absent a special statute, there is no authority for the court to take judicial notice of a conclusion of suicide from a governmental document to establish the cause of death. Bohrer at 164; see also Thinguldstad v. United States, 343 F.Supp. 551 (S.D.Ohio 1972).

Accordingly, Defendant Romano's request for judicial notice should be denied.

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...Request_for_Judicial_Notice_1456945933310.pdf

Defendant Nina Romano ("Defendant Romano") joins in the demurrers to the Second Amended Complaint ("SAC") asserted by her co-defendants (which Plaintiffs address in their oppositions to the other Defendant's respective demurrers) and independently asserts the arguments that the San Diego Medical Examiner's report should somehow be considered when ruling on the defendants' demurrers, and the SAC is too vague to put her on notice of what she is accused of doing. As discussed below, however, and as admitted by the defendant, the court can not take the Medical Examiner's opinions as conclusive. Thus the Examiner's report has no impact on these proceedings. Morever, the SAC identifies with great specificity each wrongful act that Defendant Romano undertook, as well as the resulting harm. Accordingly, Plaintiffs have met their pleading burden regarding Defendant Romano.

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/face...er_to_Second_Amended_Compla_1456945932107.pdf

New entry on the San Diego ROA, #310, in preparation for the hearing Friday:

310 03/04/2016 Reply to Opposition of Noticed Motion and Supporting Declarations (to Nina Romano's Demurrer to 2nd Amended Complaint) filed by Romano, Nina.

*No document available to read (yet). Probably will be up later today.

#310 is most likely filed in response to #309. See post #893 above for details.

309 02/29/2016 Objections (Objection to Request for Judicial Notice) filed by Estate of Rebecca Zahau; Estate of Robert Zahau; Zahau-Loehner, Mary; Zahau, Pari Z.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-2013-in-California-4&p=12393524#post12393524

A wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of Rebecca Zahau may be one step closer to a trial after a judge Thursday issued a tentative ruling that denies a request to have the case dismissed.
:happydance::happydance:

10news.com

Sorry, am mobile so can't seem to paste the direct link..

A wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family of Rebecca Zahau may be one step closer to a trial after a judge Thursday issued a tentative ruling that denies a request to have the case dismissed.
:happydance::happydance:

10news.com

Sorry, am mobile so can't seem to paste the direct link..

Thank you!! I found it, Carioca! Hope it's ok to post. Truly reason for optimism for Rebecca and her family! :cheers:

http://www.10news.com/news/judge-zahau-wrongful-death-case-can-go-forward-031016

Judge: Zahau wrongful death case can go forward

10News Digital Team
5:51 PM, Mar 10, 2016

And as a reminder, there is a very important hearing tomorrow at 1:30 pm PST. Perhaps we will have news from that before the end of the work day. That's happened in the past with Friday afternoon hearings.

And.......#311, tentative ruling for the demurrer, is posted on the ROA, but no document to view.

So, *someone* from News 10 has clearly seen the tentative ruling,or they would not have posted that article! Sweet! We are closer to a real trial!

311 03/10/2016 Tentative Ruling for Demurrer / Motion to Strike published.

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/faces/CaseSearch.xhtml

Case Number: 37-2013-00075418-CU-PO-CTL

:cheers:

I really hope Attorney Greer and/ or the Zahau family has a press conference in the next few days.

Very good news! Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow. This case has been dragging on for 3 years now. It's time to move forward with depositions, etc.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back