WV WV - Cassie Shelton Sheetz, 23, hiker, Spruce Knob, Monongahela National Forest, 11 Mar 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“We plan to continue searching the area for more skeletal remains, any other personal items of Cassie’s that may be able to be located up there once we get a break in the weather and we can get more cadaver canines in there to assist us,” said Sergeant A.D. Teter of the West Virginia State Police.

While they can’t rule it out yet, police say there doesn’t appear to have been any foul play involved.

“Given the distance of where the remains were located number one, even if there was foul play involved, even half that distance, it’s not feasible for other things to have transpired that we’ve concluded during our investigation, it’s highly unlikely that there was foul play but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility,” said Sgt. Teter.

Sgt. Teter said that the medical examiner’s findings will determine what comes next in the investigation. That process could still take an additional number of days or weeks.

Cassie Sheetz investigation continues as police await medical examiner’s findings

While they can’t rule it out yet, police say there doesn’t appear to have been any foul play involved.

“Given the distance of where the remains were located number one, even if there was foul play involved, even half that distance, it’s not feasible for other things to have transpired that we’ve concluded during our investigation, it’s highly unlikely that there was foul play but it’s not beyond the realm of possibility,” said Sgt. Teter.

I don't understand what Teter is trying to say? What is he basing "highly unlikely that there was foul play" on?

All MOO—

This case reminds me of the Lisa Theris case. She and 2 guys were doing meth in the woods, she ran off, and finally found a month later when she wandered back out. The men had even admitted to murdering her. It was all just the drugs messing with their minds and she was ok.

Perhaps something similar happened here MOO

“We plan to continue searching the area for more skeletal remains, any other personal items of Cassie’s that may be able to be located up there once we get a break in the weather and we can get more cadaver canines in there to assist us,” said Sergeant A.D. Teter of the West Virginia State Police.

Sgt. Teter said that the medical examiner’s findings will determine what comes next in the investigation. That process could still take an additional number of days or weeks.

Cassie Sheetz investigation continues as police await medical examiner’s findings
I don't understand what Teter is trying to say? What is he basing "highly unlikely that there was foul play" on?

the distance, I believe. I think he’s saying the boys couldn’t have done it and have had enough time to do everything else that transpired that night. I don’t know what he’s referring to, though. They claim to have been lost in the woods for hours - how can that be proven?

what else “transpired”?

MAR 12, 2022
One year since Cassie Sheetz disappeared near Spruce Knob (whsv.com)
[...]

“It honestly didn’t seem like it had been a year already, the year kinda like flew by,” AH, Cassie Sheetz’s mother said. “We went from nine and a half months of searching for her constantly, being on the phone, being up on that mountain, hearing different stories, getting peoples you know telling us ‘oh you know they knew where she was’ so many scams to right after Christmas hearing that they possibly found her remains because they still have not been released yet.”

[...]

On New Year’s Eve, remains were found eleven miles from the last place Sheetz was believed to be seen. The remains were believed to be those of Sheetz, but they have yet to be officially identified.

[...]

The healing process has slowly begun as AH said the family has just started to listen to some of Sheetz’s favorite songs again, as she loved to sing.

“Me and her sister are you know just here recently been able to listen to certain songs. She used to sing, oh my god she used to sing all the time. She had such beautiful voice, so you know there were songs that she used to sing all the time,” AH said.

Keeping her memory alive has helped the family make it through the last year.

There will be a candlelight vigil held for Sheetz on March 19 at 7 p.m. at the Spruce Knob parking lot. The family hopes to share memories of Cassie and play her favorite songs.

Rather late to this thread, but it seems to me that the friend's vagueness might be due to drugs being involved, as others have mentioned. Unless there was an extra set of keys that was never found, and assuming the keys they found on her body included her car key, the following would need to be true to suspect foul play:

(1) Other individuals were involved who helped with transportation.

(2) One of the men, after dropping the body in the woods, drove Cassie's car to the Spruce Knob parking area, walked back to the place where the body had been left, placed the keys with the body, then walked back to Spruce Knob.

(3) One of the two men involved also had his car with him so, after leaving the body and driving Cassie's car to the parking area, this person returned to the body in their own car to leave the car keys, then dropped their car at some other location, and finally walked back to Cassie's car.

Are there other possibilities? The latter two possibilities seem rather difficult if not impossible (I don't know the last time these two men were seen by others, but ostensibly the police have this information). I can't discount the idea that others might have been involved, but at that point we're getting into a rather elaborate scheme that doesn't make a lot of sense (why wait with Cassie's car? why not leave her body where it was found and then leave the scene entirely?). Finally, I don't find it impossible that Cassie could have been in a panicked state and just kept bumbling along, hoping to come across a place or person she recognized. She wouldn't have needed to reach her final resting spot the night that she disappeared and could have been disoriented from drugs or cold or thirst. Basically, we don't know how long she was wandering in the woods and desperation could have kept her going for some time. Her jewelry, etc., could have been accidentally dragged off by wildlife or dropped/ripped off while wandering or possibly falling.

Anyways, just my thoughts about the case, with caveats about the assumptions I had to make. I think this is only like my second time posting since I joined so hopefully I haven't stepped on any toes.

Also, were the autopsy reports ever reported? A quick google search didn't find anything, but I could have missed it. Will be interesting to see what they find.

Rather late to this thread, but it seems to me that the friend's vagueness might be due to drugs being involved, as others have mentioned. Unless there was an extra set of keys that was never found, and assuming the keys they found on her body included her car key, the following would need to be true to suspect foul play:

(1) Other individuals were involved who helped with transportation.

(2) One of the men, after dropping the body in the woods, drove Cassie's car to the Spruce Knob parking area, walked back to the place where the body had been left, placed the keys with the body, then walked back to Spruce Knob.

(3) One of the two men involved also had his car with him so, after leaving the body and driving Cassie's car to the parking area, this person returned to the body in their own car to leave the car keys, then dropped their car at some other location, and finally walked back to Cassie's car.

Are there other possibilities? The latter two possibilities seem rather difficult if not impossible (I don't know the last time these two men were seen by others, but ostensibly the police have this information). I can't discount the idea that others might have been involved, but at that point we're getting into a rather elaborate scheme that doesn't make a lot of sense (why wait with Cassie's car? why not leave her body where it was found and then leave the scene entirely?). Finally, I don't find it impossible that Cassie could have been in a panicked state and just kept bumbling along, hoping to come across a place or person she recognized. She wouldn't have needed to reach her final resting spot the night that she disappeared and could have been disoriented from drugs or cold or thirst. Basically, we don't know how long she was wandering in the woods and desperation could have kept her going for some time. Her jewelry, etc., could have been accidentally dragged off by wildlife or dropped/ripped off while wandering or possibly falling.

Anyways, just my thoughts about the case, with caveats about the assumptions I had to make. I think this is only like my second time posting since I joined so hopefully I haven't stepped on any toes.

Also, were the autopsy reports ever reported? A quick google search didn't find anything, but I could have missed it. Will be interesting to see what they find.

I don't think so re. autopsy. Remains have yet to be officially confirmed

DEC 29, 2022
It’s been a year since West Virginia State Police were led to remains they believed belonged to missing hiker Cassie Sheetz but her friends and family are still without any answers.

The remains were found deep in the Monongahela National Forest but a year later there has still been no DNA confirmation from the Office of The Chief Medical Examiner.

“There’s no closure, we still don’t know anything. So you go every day knowing your daughter is not there but not knowing anything else,” said Arlene Howard, Cassie’s mother.

The West Virginia State Trooper who is handling the Cassie Sheetz investigation said that it is not uncommon for the results of DNA tests to take this long and that the investigation can’t move forward until those test results come back.

[...]

She is still in NamUs.

Still no DNA results? :confused:

Nope, still waiting - her mom checks in regularly

"The remains were found deep in the Monongahela National Forest but a year later there has still been no DNA confirmation from the Office of The Chief Medical Examiner.

“There’s no closure, we still don’t know anything. So you go every day knowing your daughter is not there but not knowing anything else,” said Arlene Howard, Cassie’s mother."

May 1, 2023

Human remains found in Pendleton County WV. No identification has been made yet.

PENDLETON COUNTY, WV. (WHSV) - An investigation is underway after human remains were found in West Virginia, the Pendleton County Sheriff’s Office says.

MAY 4, 2023
The Pendleton County Sheriff’s Office is continuing its investigation after human remains were found on the western slope of North Mountain. The remains have been sent to the West Virginia State Medical Examiner’s Office for identification.

However if another local case is any indication that process could take significant time.

It has been nearly a year-and-a-half since remains believed to be those of missing hiker Cassie Sheetz were found deep in the Monongahela National Forest but the Medical Examiner’s Office still has yet to confirm if the remains are Sheetz.

[...]

According to the DHHR the backlog is caused by a large caseload, a nationwide shortage of qualified full-time forensic pathologists, physical plant limitations, and other personnel shortages.

[...]

One of the main reasons for this is that there is also a long wait time when it comes to DNA testing because the ME’s Office has only two options.

It can either use the Center for Human Identification at the University of North Texas which currently has a one year backlog or the FBI which has a waiting list and takes an average of six to eight months to receive results.

[...]

MAY 4, 2023
The Pendleton County Sheriff’s Office is continuing its investigation after human remains were found on the western slope of North Mountain. The remains have been sent to the West Virginia State Medical Examiner’s Office for identification.

However if another local case is any indication that process could take significant time.

It has been nearly a year-and-a-half since remains believed to be those of missing hiker Cassie Sheetz were found deep in the Monongahela National Forest but the Medical Examiner’s Office still has yet to confirm if the remains are Sheetz.

[...]

According to the DHHR the backlog is caused by a large caseload, a nationwide shortage of qualified full-time forensic pathologists, physical plant limitations, and other personnel shortages.

[...]

One of the main reasons for this is that there is also a long wait time when it comes to DNA testing because the ME’s Office has only two options.

It can either use the Center for Human Identification at the University of North Texas which currently has a one year backlog or the FBI which has a waiting list and takes an average of six to eight months to receive results.

[...]
How frustrating for families of the victims waiting to be identified!! Just seems so wrong that a year and a half later, Cassie's Mom is still waiting for an answer :mad:

Sounds like the backlog continues. Still no answers.

December 29, 2023

It has now been two years since police believe they discovered her remains but there are still no answers as the state medical examiner’s office has yet to make DNA confirmation of the remains.

December 29, 2023

It has now been two years since police believe they discovered her remains but there are still no answers as the state medical examiner’s office has yet to make DNA confirmation of the remains.

I really don't understand why there's such a backlog here. This is not a large state.

December 29, 2023

Unfreaking believable :mad: :( :mad:

This should be illegal to do to a parent of a missing person.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenGirl1971
Back