WV WV - Cassie Shelton Sheetz, 23, hiker, Spruce Knob, Monongahela National Forest, 11 Mar 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The dogs reportedly could not find her scent. But the weather may have played a factor in that. It's the highest peak in WV where they were hiking. I've read it can get windy up there fast. And then add in the temperature drop and fear and andreniline... Easy to get lost, fall, get hurt... Who knows? It's a real bonifide mystery.

I’ve wondered about that too having spent a lot of time here in the West SC/NC mountains with brutal terrain and nighttime is very very dangerous. I know of trails that end with 60-100 ft drops that one could easily fall from in the dark.
Thank you for the reply, I have looked and found that dogs were used but didn’t know more.

I’ve wondered about that too having spent a lot of time here in the West SC/NC mountains with brutal terrain and nighttime is very very dangerous. I know of trails that end with 60-100 ft drops that one could easily fall from in the dark.
Thank you for the reply, I have looked and found that dogs were used but didn’t know more.

I believe a news article had video showing bloodhounds.

Odd....
Per Google search, the article is listed...

"
ELKINS, W.Va. (WHSV) - On Wednesday, December 29, 2021, Sergeant A.D. Teter was led to human skeletal remains discovered by hunters, located deep in the Monongahela National Forest in the Northern Seneca Creek area.39 mins ago"

I wonder if Sergeant A.D. Teter jumped the gun in tentatively identifying the remains as Cassie?

Is there a press conference scheduled?
https://www.whsv.com/2021/12/31/wv-state-police-remains-found-believed-be-cassie-sheetz/

New article just released:

Remains of Cassie Sheetz believed to have been found | WOWK

PENDLETON COUNTY, WV (WOWK)—The West Virginia State Police say that remains found deep in the Monongahela National Forest are believed to be those of Cassie Sheetz, who has been missing since early March of 2021.

According to a release from the WVSP, Sergeant A.D. Teter was led to human remains in the northern Seneca Creek area of the National Forest. Police say the remains were discovered by hunters.

The remains were sent to the West Virginia Chief Medical Examiner’s Office to confirm identification."

I'm glad Cassie has been found and can now be laid to rest. Prayers being sent for her family and loved ones. Such a beautiful girl and just 23 years old. Heartbreaking. :(

Rest peacefully now, Cassie.

g40001.gif

New article just released:

Remains of Cassie Sheetz believed to have been found | WOWK

PENDLETON COUNTY, WV (WOWK)—The West Virginia State Police say that remains found deep in the Monongahela National Forest are believed to be those of Cassie Sheetz, who has been missing since early March of 2021.

According to a release from the WVSP, Sergeant A.D. Teter was led to human remains in the northern Seneca Creek area of the National Forest. Police say the remains were discovered by hunters.

The remains were sent to the West Virginia Chief Medical Examiner’s Office to confirm identification."

An additional detail in this article:
Based on items located at the scene, troopers believe the skeletal remains are those of Cassie R. Sheetz, 24, of Upper Tract, West Virginia.

State Police say skeletal remains may be connected to missing persons case

Teter said it turned out the remains were a long way from where they had been originally told to look.

“Eight miles straight line, so if you take into account ridges, ravines, and going around terrain it’s probably closer to 10 or 11 miles,” said Teter.
Teter indicated there were several items located at the scene which were very specific to the Sheetz case. The remains have been sent to the state Medical Examiner’s office in Charleston for an autopsy.
Teter said there were no obvious signs of foul play at the scene.

“We’re not ruling it out, but there was nothing I found that would indicate something definite. I just don’t know that right now. The remains were exposed and covered with foliage that had fallen, but there was no shallow grave and no digging of any kind,” Teter said.
Missing woman's remains found in Pendleton County - WV MetroNews

So about 10 miles from where the two men said Cassie went missing. In the dark, deep in the forest. Something stinks. MOO.

I'm so glad to hear that she's been found, and my sympathy goes out to her family for their loss. I think about this girl often, her story has really stuck with me.

Without knowing exactly where she was found, I just plugged the two areas into Google Maps (my mapping skills are abysmal, sorry...) to see the general distance:

Google Maps

I played with the routes between the two points, and it looks like the in-between is a lot of forest roads and some pretty dramatic terrain.

MOO, she didn't walk from Spruce Knob to wherever she was found.

Wow. The timing of this discovery and the release of the NBC article is awfully coincidental. A sad ending if this indeed is identified as Cassie. Until any further press release it'll just be a waiting game... They'll have a forensic anthropologist go over the remains extensively.
If this is all what it is looking like, I'm leaning towards just an unfortunate accident by unspecified means. ‍♀️

Wow. The timing of this discovery and the release of the NBC article is awfully coincidental. A sad ending if this indeed is identified as Cassie. Until any further press release it'll just be a waiting game... They'll have a forensic anthropologist go over the remains extensively.
If this is all what it is looking like, I'm leaning towards just an unfortunate accident by unspecified means. ‍♀️

I still have high suspicions regarding her two "friends". Cassie's remains can reveal little to nothing, or a cause of death. I think of Dylan Redwine's body, found over a year later...after his murdering father reported him missing...on a hike. His precious little skull told a different story. Mark Redwine now sits in prison. I will be waiting for Cassie's findings... and hopefully some answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back