WV WV - Cassie Shelton Sheetz, 23, hiker, Spruce Knob, Monongahela National Forest, 11 Mar 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Not sure if this was posted, but this is a YouTube video posted about the situation by someone who spoke to the victims sister to get details.

As someone who lives right here and knows the families and some of the people involved. It's shady. The police seem to know more than their telling which is obviously common in an open investigation. Imo this will not have a good outcome unfortunately. I dont think she was ever up there. Rain could have caused the dogs not to catch a scent. But I think its an alibi that is full of holes.

This is my video, thanks for sharing. I've done a lot of digging into Cassie's case, and have talked to many people who knew her and the boys she went hiking with. I am very disappointed with the lack of updates we've seen from LE.

MSM has basically dropped her story, but *allegedly* one of the hikers she was with changed his clothes at some point during the hike - I'm not sure if I can post those pictures here, but they are out there (my other Cassie video)

This video makes several good points. It really seems that LE doesn’t think she was hiking this trail. Changing cloths, busted glass, the not knowing how long these 3 knew each other. It sounds like this revolves around opioids, probably pain meds. Has noted above, it all seems shady.

Agreed. The rear window is usually last to break because they are most expensive to replace with the defrosters. Back seat side window would be first choice.
It doesn't make sense because that's not how it happened. I still think there is some likelihood Cassie tried to kick the back window out to escape.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't make sense because that's not how it happened. I still think there is some likelihood Cassie tried to kick the back window out to escape.

<modsnip>

Would they be able to tell if the window was broken in or out? The possibility of her kicking it out is really interesting.

There's only a small snippet of the article presented her (and it requires a paid subscription to read online), but the LEO does not say that are or should be de-prioritizing finding Cassie. And the context for the comment presented by the small snippet of the article does not in any way suggest the LEO meant to imply that Cassie is less worthy of being found. LE is familiar with Cassie's history yet they still searched for her and continue to investigate.

Given the context, it appears that the LEO is just trying to make the point that the hiking story that they got from the two men who were with Cassie when she went missing is BS.

And that point is consistent with what Cassie's own family thinks and what many people on this thread think of the "hiking" claim. Cassie's mother says in that same article that Cassie was scared of the dark and "would never have gone there at night." Several posters on this thread have doubted the hiking story, including from the start. And the reporter says, the LEO was being more blunt in rejecting the story that they got from those two men.

Now, the blunt, short-hand "tweaker" comment clearly was not sensitive, nor appropriate for public consumption. I very much doubt that the LEO intended for that word to be recited in an article or repeated to Cassie's family, and I'm sure he regrets saying it. In fact, you can quickly find out that the LEO has already apologized to Cassie's family, and that Cassie's mom has acknolwedged that the LEO cares very much about Cassie's case, continues to invest a lot of time in Cassie's case, and is very frustrated with those who are not talking, and that the LEO's comment was the product of his frustration.

If the LEO was not familiar with this reporter, he should probably have been more careful about what he said, or he at least should have been clear with the reporter that the word should not have been printed. The reporter should also have had the decency to think twice about using it.

The LEO-media relationship is an important one for cases like this. It would be best if LE could speak openly and bluntly with a reporter to give the reporter the fullest picture possible so that the reporter can provide the most accurate and informative report possible, and for the reporter to take care not to quote "rough" language that could be construed by readers to mean something that the LEO didn't mean to convey and ultimately distract from the important information.

In the end, and apparently like Cassie's mom, I'd rather have working on my case the LEO who is invested, works hard and cares deeply but who may not be the most sensitive or smoothest talker rather than an antiseptic LEO who treats my case as just one more thing on his or her plate.

Last edited:
<modsnip- quoted post removed>

I'm sure a lot of it is because law enforcement everywhere is fed up to their eyeballs with the whole substance abuse issue. Focusing on the investigator's faux pas doesn't do much besides divert attention from the real issues at hand, at least in my eyes. Sometimes there's a reason truth hurts.

Saying the truth straight up without softening it with PC and niceties is helpful in that I have absolutely no question now that she wasn't up there hiking. It tells me that there are circumstances that make it necessary to look in a different direction, and there's a reason there aren't hordes of searchers up on that mountain looking for this girl. No one has stated she isn't worth finding, they were just very blunt in explaining why this investigation isn't playing out the same way any other missing hiker investigation is done.

“As of Friday, police say they are not actively searching for Sheetz but are investigating more than a dozen leads that were submitted. Police say some of those leads were speculative and are no longer able to talk to the two men who were with Sheetz after one obtained a lawyer.

Arlene Shelton, Sheetz’s mom, says family members have been searching for her daughter along with community members, but have still found nothing.

“We’re finding nothing, no shoes, no clothes, no hair, nothing,” Shelton said. “There’s no sign that she was ever at Spruce Knob so we don’t know what else to do.’”

Three months later and the search continues for Sheetz, the missing hiker in Pendleton County

Nothing in MSM. Very sad. The last update from June basically said the cops could no longer talk to the men that came out of the woods because they lawyered up. I mean, come on.
Were the two guys ever named here?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back