WV WV - Leah Hickman, 21, Huntington, 14 Dec 2007 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome jessica fletcher:).

Hey, does anyone know if it was reported that plastic was found with Leah's body? Plastic is mentioned several times in ways in a way that suggest it was possibly used, but I can't find any link on it.

Lion

I can't find a link, but I do remember reading that she was wrapped in plastic.

Okay, I found a link. It was apparently not plastic that construction workers would necessarily use, but instead "plastic bags."

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Police_Reports_Finding_a_Body_that_Could_Be_Leah_Hickman_12137.html

Following the discovery of the unidentified female body, wrapped in plastic bags and left in the basement of Leah’s apartment building, police representatives said in a press conference that a detailed examination will be held, but there will be no other press releases until Monday afternoon, unless a breakthrough in the case should happen.

I wonder why someone would go through the trouble to wrap her in plastic bags and put her into the crawl space if he had no previous connection to her (geographically, he knew who she was, or they knew each other). It is possible that the killer was savvy and realized that the longer the period of time before Leah's body would be discovered, the more time he has to cover his tracks.

But, it may be at least somewhat more likely that it was someone who knew her and felt that he needed to distance himself in time in order not to get caught and to cover his tracks. This does not mean it was someone that she knew although she may have known him. But, it may have been someone who at least knew who she was from the area. He may live nearby or have some connection to her. This is just thought and speculation, and my thoughts can change in a second with new info.
Lion

About the plastic bags. This may be a good lead. If the bags came from her apartment it means that the killer was in there. Yes, he may have gone in there for the first time to get plastic bags after he killed her. So it may not necessarily prove to be a good lead. And, for all we know they may have better leads they are pursuing with more effort.

Additionally, he may have gone home to get the bags, brought them with him, or bought them locally after he killed her. Any way I look at it, I'm thinking that the bags may provide some good info.

Lion

That is an excellent find, LionRun. Thanks for the effort. Now we can concentrate more on her apartment vs. being anyplace else in the building. Very likely it was plastic bags found in the apartment whether the perp left the remainder to be identified with the ones used to wrap the body or not.

This is seeming like a crime of opportunity. LE really needs to be looking for trace evidence in the apartment likely the kitchen. The bags could also be part of a ruse that if anyone was looking they would think it was garbage being hauled out.

PS: Thanks for the info about dogs as it really helps understand the training and possibilities.

Thank you and you're welcome concerned:).

I think LE is on this case like white on rice. I imagine they are working their butooskies off trying to find the killer of this young, beautiful woman. And, my heart breaks for Leah's family. I have a 19 year old daughter whom I cherish more than anyone I have known or will ever know. She is in college now, but she lives at home, and I feel safe with that. I will no doubt start a thread when I am in panic mode once she transfers out of state!

Lion

I do have a question for you about dogs. How soon would the average cadaver dog be able to pick up a scent? Also, do you know of any chemical agent that could prevent this scent from being recognizable to a cadaver dog. i.e. lime, chlorine, etc?

From researching Stacy Peterson's case, I found that Lye can hinder a cadaver dog.

Okay, I found a link. It was apparently not plastic that construction workers would necessarily use, but instead "plastic bags."

http://www.efluxmedia.com/news_Police_Reports_Finding_a_Body_that_Could_Be_Leah_Hickman_12137.html

Following the discovery of the unidentified female body, wrapped in plastic bags and left in the basement of Leah’s apartment building, police representatives said in a press conference that a detailed examination will be held, but there will be no other press releases until Monday afternoon, unless a breakthrough in the case should happen.

I wonder why someone would go through the trouble to wrap her in plastic bags and put her into the crawl space if he had no previous connection to her (geographically, he knew who she was, or they knew each other). It is possible that the killer was savvy and realized that the longer the period of time before Leah's body would be discovered, the more time he has to cover his tracks.

But, it may be at least somewhat more likely that it was someone who knew her and felt that he needed to distance himself in time in order not to get caught and to cover his tracks. This does not mean it was someone that she knew although she may have known him. But, it may have been someone who at least knew who she was from the area. He may live nearby or have some connection to her. This is just thought and speculation, and my thoughts can change in a second with new info.
Lion

And yet the killer put Leah in a place that would greatly narrow down the list of suspects and lead right back to them. The not easily located area of the crawlspace tells me that very few people would know it was there.

Thank you and you're welcome concerned:).

I think LE is on this case like white on rice. I imagine they are working their butooskies off trying to find the killer of this young, beautiful woman. And, my heart breaks for Leah's family. I have a 19 year old daughter whom I cherish more than anyone I have known or will ever know. She is in college now, but she lives at home, and I feel safe with that. I will no doubt start a thread when I am in panic mode once she transfers out of state!

Lion

I understand that! My daughter moved to BYU a couple of weeks before a female student went missing. My anxiety level was sky high! Turns out the student had gone on a hike without telling anyone and fell to her death.

I wish we knew more about Leah's laundry. From Taxi's account of the apartment and from the pic of her car, both showing Laundry baskets, it sure doesn't seem like Leah would have been down in the laundry room without her laundry.

Lye can hinder a cadaver dog's ability as can isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), formalin, and various other chemicals. The chemicals would need to be applied in just the right ways, in the right amounts, and it won't work well in varying situations.

Bleach is a commonly found solution, and it is easiest for most people to obtain, which is why I used included it in the example. Other products can be used in similar ways to attempt to hide scent. Killers who want to get away with such a despicable crime like murder usually opt for simpler ways to cover their tracks, though. I don't know how many cases may even be on record where a killer tried to disguise the scent of decay with chemicals.

Lion

And yet the killer put Leah in a place that would greatly narrow down the list of suspects and lead right back to them. The not easily located area of the crawlspace tells me that very few people would know it was there.

Exactly, Suzi! What this killer may have thought to be a good idea to stall the finding of this dear girl's body may help lead to finding the slime. Yet, it is possible that out of desperation he searched high and lo for what to do with her body and discovered the crawlspace that day.

Lion

I understand that! My daughter moved to BYU a couple of weeks before a female student went missing. My anxiety level was sky high! Turns out the student had gone on a hike without telling anyone and fell to her death.

Oh, that poor student and her family. Bless your heart, Suzi. I can't imagine your worries! I am not looking forward to the worrying part, but I will be so happy for my daughter when she makes this move. It is what she truly wants.

Lion

It's got to be the sister that killed her.. I mean the girl shows no emotion when she talks about her sister! She looks completely serene. Theres got to be something about the laundry too.. the sister's story doesn't add up.

It's got to be the sister that killed her.. I mean the girl shows no emotion when she talks about her sister! She looks completely serene. Theres got to be something about the laundry too.. the sister's story doesn't add up.

So many inconsitencies with Vickers, and I can't decide whether it's her or media misreporting. It appears to me that the facts changed and came out as questions were raised. Sometimes it's suspicious when someone has an explanation for everything. I am really bothered by her demeanor and that may mean nothing. Does Vickers not care? Or is/was she not concerned? I can understand someone not wanting to raise a situation to the level of sinister. But Vickers behavior was so out of line with the rest of her family. I am very curious to know what Vicker's demeanor has been since Friday night?

Welcome to WS MountainMama! I see you are in WV. What are you hearing locally?

As others have stated, why even bother to move and hide the body? It was obviously going to be found eventually. Because they didn't want it found in the apartment? If it wasn't your apartment, why would you care where the body was found?

ETA: why risk moving it and having someone stumble across you doing so? However, all that would mean nothing if Leah was killed and hidden in the laundry room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper