WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LButler said:
Some of you folks understand this and some don't - WV Small Town "politics" are very quirky. You'd be amazed at the things that get swept under the rug because John Doe 1 is literally owned by John Doe 2 and Judge John Doe never likes to upset anyone (cause this is a small town and everybody knows everybody...) This cover-up of the fire does not surprise me at all. It only tells me that powerful people in Fayetteville were involved (and I have a couple of names in mind) and they flexed their muscle on this one. George or Jennie pissed someone off (excuse my language, I can't come up with a better image) and this was the price they paid. Sad, but, I think, very true.
I agree. I live in a rural area in Ohio, and I can tell you that this type of thing is not unique to WV.

In August 1949 a new detective stated there needed to be an expert examine the scene. A pathologist from Washington, DC came to the scene of the fire and the area was excavated in search of any evidence that the children died in the fire. Several small articles were found, coins, a partically burned dictionary. The only human remains found there was a small section of veterbrae. The veterbrae was believed to be from a boy older than 14 year old Maurice and had no evidence of being exposed to fire. Also, the report stated that in view of the very short time the house burned the full skeleton of five children should have been found. (Smithsonian Institute)

In August of 1949 the land was excavated according to the records as written above.

Also, I would think since Mr. Morris asked them to put some ashes in the box and perform a funeral, and because they were overcome with grief they did what they were told.

Does anyone have a good picture of the 1967 picture that was suppose to be Louis that they took themselves. It can be clipped and scanned at Walmart and enlarged.

louis200.jpg

This is the best that I can do with the small picture from the book Unsolved Murders. Sure looks like him to me.

When a loved one is missing, the labor of many is required to sort through the facts and find the threads of truth which will bring that person home. George and Jennie Sodder spent their lives searching for truth amid the misinformation and the obstacle of time that separated them from their children, whom they loved dearly. Unfortunately, they were unable to succeed in their search during their lifetimes.

However, George and Jennie hoped that the story of their missing children would survive beyond them, and that eventually their family would be reunited. They knew that the labor would be shared by strangers, who may ultimately come forward with information to reveal the truth of their children’s fate. For this reason, they posted their plight on a billboard at their home, not far from the location of the house they lost in the fire.

The Sodder family expresses its deep gratitude for the hard work of the members of the Websleuths community. You restored life to the story of the missing Sodder children after years of dormancy. Your efforts inspired Stacy Horn to bring a voice to the story on National Public Radio. We are grateful to you and Ms. Horn for your interest in the missing Sodder children and your desire to resolve the mystery that surrounds their disappearance. Keep up the good work!

Dear Grandaughter,
First let me say that I am sorry for what brought you to WS, but happy to see you here. All of here feel deeply for the missing and unsolved victims out there. One thing that hasn't changed between then and now, is that once a child or person goes missing- they seem to completely disappear from public attention, leaving the family not knowing whether to mourn or to search. I know that feeling most likely drifts down through the family, through the gererations.
Please feel free to add any information, family theories, musings or whatever you can add to what we have. As you will see all things are considered, and evaluated. Also, if you see where any of the info we have collected is not accurate or not being interpated correctly- please feel free to let us know.
Can you tell us anything about your grandparents, their relationships in the community, their business or anything else that could possibly touch on the case? Stories you have heard about the children, the previous searches by your grandfather and so forth?
Sometimes the oddest little fact will open up a much broader area for investigation.
And thank you stopping in to see us, and for what you have done to keep the story alive.

Grandaughter,

Welcome to Websleuth's. I am glad to see a member of the Sodder family here and hope that you might be able to share some information with us. Do you know who has the picture that was sent to Jennie in 1968 that was possibly of Louis? If we could get an age progression photo done of Louis and compare it to that one, I think that it would be amazing. Just looking at the picture of Louis at age 9 beside of the one that was sent to Jennie makes me think that it was him. If indeed that was Louis in that picture then it proves that the children did not die in the fire.

Thank you, granddaughter, for posting on the site. We try really hard not to say anything that would hurt or offend the Sodder family and we pray we never have.

Stacy, I appreciate you giving us the "rest of the story". I also appreciate you giving us your thoughts on what happened. I have read that John said he yelled for the children and thought he heard them answer. Never heard him say he shook the children.

When you speak of the man "Janutolo" who are you speaking of: Cleante or Fioernzo? Cleante was 16 when he came to the US from Piedicavallo. He was involved as a coal operator, was a member of the Boards of Directors of the Fayette County National Bank and the Fayetteville Federal Savings and Loan Association. He had one adopted daughter Delores.

Fioernzo was born in Piedicavello, Italy in 1889 and came to the US in 1907.
He was a jeweler who owned and operated the Fayetteville Jewelry Co. The jewelry store was also the greyhound bus station and had a soda fountain and served sandwiches. He was director of the Fayette County National Bank, Fayette Savings and Loan Assocation, did road construction and mining with his cousin Cleante. Janutolo Park is named after him-he donated the land for it. He sold the jewelry story in 1958. (from Fayette County History, 1993).

Would also like to thank Shadow 205 for the pictures. I think one way to answer some of the questions here is to have Louis's picture aged progressed to see if he looks like the man that is supposed to be Louis. If that picture was eliminated as being Louis that would put a whole new angle to the case. If it was proven it could be Louis, then there would still be some hope the children were still alive.:confused: Was it not written somewhere that Mr. Morris was the bookkeeper for the man who threatened Mr. Sodder. That was Mr. Janutolo I assume.

fox1950---

Not to appear clueless, but where is this "rest of the story", please?

******Never mind, I found Stacy's blog.

I guess I'm just going to have to agree to disagree at this point.

I'm missing Stacey's "rest of the story." I see a name posted that has long been on my "most wanted to check up on" list. Is Stacey's info on her website?

I too found her blog. Great stuff.

Can't post a "told you so" because I have never posted Janutolo's name here, but he's been my prime suspect for some time now. I was just hesitant to post a name that was so prominent in this area. He was a contractor, part owner of a jewelry store, coal operator (my dad actually worked for him for a period of time), owned a lot of property... and pretty much had the clout to keep things quiet. Please don't quote me on this (I can't remember where it came from now, possibly my dad), but if I'm not mistaken, Fire Chief Morris was Janutolo's bookkeeper. If I can verify that one later, I will.

Another point, the death certificates of the kids (I'm sure these are not the actual certs, but it's the notice on record in the public files at the courthouse) lists a witness. I looked on the internet some time back as to what a "witness" referred to. It is someone who gives info about the deaths and it's usually a family member or a close friend (some of you already knew that one). And, the witness listed on all five of the deaths of the kids? C. G. Janutolo.

Oh yes, I meant to point that out too. I went to the courthouse, and got copies of the records for the children and spoke to the Count Clerk about that. But to me that seems to imply a friendly relationship, if he was entrusted with such a task.

Oh, and the name of the Janutolo in the reports, is different than the name given to me by the family. The family says it was Cleante. In the police and state fire marshall reports it's Fioernzo (I'm not sure of the spellings). Since it says C.G. in the courthouse records, I'm guessing that's Cleante. So that needs to be cleared up. Was the family acquainted with both men? Did the police get the names mixed up in their report? Were they looking at the wrong man?

Stacey .... I have found one reference (I believe it was in reference to the jewelry store they owned) and the listings were CG and FJ Janutolo. I think they were possibly brothers, or, I don't know the ages, but maybe even father and son. I'm leaning toward brothers.

on the trail ... thanks ... i've dug up and read so much stuff that I can't remember where it all came from, but things do stick out in my mind (like they were brothers).

I have considered the idea that the kids did die in the fire - thought about it hard before Stacey's idea was written. And, I just have some issues with that idea:

First, Louis and Maurice would have been in the room with the other boys - the ones who did make it out. But, obviously they weren't. I can see Louis maybe deciding to sleep with the younger kids (the girls) in the other room, but I would think a 14 year old would go to his own bed.

Next, I can also see the younger kids either panicking and not getting out (hiding as was suggested), but no way a 14 year old is going to do that. I constantly keep in mind that these were farm kids that were used to responsibility - I don't think Maurice panicked and couldn't get out of the house. If he's in the room with the other 4, he would have gotten them out as well.

No way that soft tissue things (like the FC claimed to have found) survived the fire but no large bones were obvious in the ashes. I think you would have to do some digging to find remains, but you wouldn't have to be a forensic scientist to id the remains of 5 kids. Maurice would like have been a full-grown man as far as size goes. All reports indicate that although a search by experts was not made, volunteers, family, others did sift through the ashes after the fire. No way all those bones just disintegrated.

Lastly, I have felt and still feel that the older kids knew more about this incident than they ever said. John's statement of trying to wake one of the kids up just reinforces that in my mind.

Just my thoughts and opinion.........

Fiorenzo G. Janutolo was born on 22 Sep 1889 in Piedecavallo, Italy. Parents: Antonio Janutolo and Augustina (Wife of Antonio Janutolo).

He was married to Thelma Ogden Bibb on 29 Aug 1917 in Covington, Kenton Co., KY. Children were: Nancy May Janutolo.

Fiorenzo is the only child listed to Antonio & Augustina at this site. Still looking for Celante.

LButler said:
Stacey .... I have found one reference (I believe it was in reference to the jewelry store they owned) and the listings were CG and FJ Janutolo. I think they were possibly brothers, or, I don't know the ages, but maybe even father and son. I'm leaning toward brothers.

Fioernzo was born in Piedicavello, Italy in 1889 and came to the US in 1907.
He was a jeweler who owned and operated the Fayetteville Jewelry Co. The jewelry store was also the greyhound bus station and had a soda fountain and served sandwiches. He was director of the Fayette County National Bank, Fayette Savings and Loan Assocation, did road construction and mining with his cousin Cleante. His store was a favorite meeting place for vistors and the people of Fayetteville.From History of Fayette County, 1993)

This should clear up how they were related. According to this book they were cousin s.

To clear up why one of the men's names may have been on the death certificates: Mr. Sodder had a heated agrument with one of the these men.
Fiorernzo I assume. He said I see you have refused to take out life insurance and refuse to sign the papers to settle Mrs. Sodder's father's estate. Your
God..... house is going up in smoke and your children are going to be destroyed.

Their concerns intensified over the man's comments when they learned that he had been a member of the coroner's jury which ruled the fire an accident.WV Unsolved Mysteries.
Perhaps he signed the death certificates because he was on the coroner's jury rather than being a trusted friend by the Sodders. This man and the Sodders appeared to be friends at one time but enemies before the fire.
Also the Sodders were not seeking reasons to deny their loss they were simply determined to find the truth. Why was this man so concerned over life insurance and Mrs. Sodder's father's estate?

Here is a theory about John 's statement about shaking the children - This is only a theory - John had just returned from World War II. That, in itself, was enough to place a large burden on a 21 year old. I don't know anything about his military history, however; I can be pretty sure he survived some horrific events while in the war. He returns, happy to be home but still consumed by the events he endured. Most veterans feel guilty to some degree when they go through a terrible ordeal where others are killed. They ask-why did I survived and Joe Doe didn't. What about Jack, Henry, and Fred. Why are they not here and I am?.
Why? Why? Why?
Coping is very hard for former soldiers expecially in war time. Many suffer from PTSD.

I want to say that I think John was a good person, good son, good father and so forth until the day he passed away.

The worse thing that could happen to him now is another horrific event. That night he went to bed. Sound alseep, he was woke up by his mother and father's crys. He calls out and runs down the steps along with George. He is still not fully awake or knows what is going on until he reaches the downstairs. He tries to help his father get back upstairs. He burns himself trying desperately to save his brothers and sisters. Nothing works. The house burns.

He looks at his father and mother, after the house is burned. They are grieving uncontrollably. This Guy (John) just needs one more burden. They stay in an outbuilding the night of the fire. They ask why he didn't get the children out before he come down. He has another brick on his shoulders.
What would you say?

By the time officals arrived the matter had already been thought through and discussed between John and his grieving parents. He told the officials the same thing he told his mother and father. I would have done the same thing.
He would not have wanted his parents to know he let them down. He was not a bad person. Think about it.

Questions:

If the smoke was so intense the children were dead how did John get in the room, find them and shake them? Did they respond to being shook?

Were not two of the other brothers supposed to be in the room with John and George. Why does everyone keep saying the children were all in one room?

How long after they called did it take George and John to get down the steps? Did they come together? Did the other Sodders hear any movement from them before they came down? Did they answer the calls and come down sometime later or immediately? What was George's role in all of this?
Why would you shake a six year old and not pick her up and bring her down with you? (from Unsolved Murders)-Mrs. Sodders ran to the staircase and shouted for the children. In a moment John and George, Jr. ran downstairs to see what was going on.

I do not think John did anything wrong. However, I think he was downstairs before he truly knew the impact of what was going on.
However, I must say, he may have been telling the truth. Perhaps he was. But between two boys they could have carried most of the children down in one trip. Just another horrific burden for John if he was not telling the truth. May he rest in peace.
QUESTION: WHY WHEN MRS. SODDER WAS AWAKEN THE LIGHTS WERE STILL ON, SOME OF THE DOORS NOT LOCKED. SHE STATED THE WELL BEHAVED CHILDREN ALWAYS DID THAT. COULD SOMEONE HAVE COME TO THE DOOR THE CHILDREN KNEW AND TRUSTED AND OFFERED TO SHOW THEM THE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS OR SOMETHING AND BRING THEM BACK AND THE PARENTS WOULD NEVER KNOW? wHY WOULD SOMEONE CUT THE TELEPHONE LINES WITH SO MANY PEOPLE IN THE HOUSE, THE LIGHTS STILL ON, JUST TO STEAL SOMETHING OUT OF AN OUTBUILDING?
DIDN'T THIS MAN ATTEMPT THIS THIEF DURING THE TIME THE HOUSE WAS BURNING?

About grave contamination. Was it Jesse James or another of the old outlaws from the west that a man kept saying he was Jesse and another man was shot to death instead of him? I think they did a study on it many, many years after he died and proved through DNA that Jesse was indeed the man in the grave. (I will have to look this one up on the internet). But I know for a fact it was done on one of the old outlaws. Was his grave not contamined? After all his grave was covered with dirt for many years before they dug him up. Many people who are murdered are found many years later in graves and they can identify the bodies. I know only the skeltons remained of the Sodder children, but in 1949 when they dug up the area other items were found. Coins, etc. If their bodies had been there, there should have been some evidence left since other items were found. They must have done some searching for the other things to be found. Also, any bones that would have been found would have been sent away to see if they were exposed to fire. They did it with the veterbra. They must have found nothing more. I know they did not have DNA back then, however, this doesn't add up either.

I have lived in West Virginia all my life first in the Oak Hill area and for the last 4 years in Fayetteville area (Gatewood Road) I've grew up surronded by this story all my life my grandfather who used to be a mine foreman at several different mines knew of the story quite well,we would go on drives and everytime we passed that sign he would always tell us that there was much more than ever would come out about that night.He would not talk about what he knew but I could always tell he knew more than he was willing to talk about.I took care of him until he passed away and in his last days he did talk some .I do believe the children were never killed in that fire .The things that he told me makes me believe other things.I think that a memorial for the missing should be built to show the people that had their dirty hands in the cover up (even if they are dead I'm sure there are living members of there families who know the truth) that people have not forgotten and never will!May God bless each and every one and may there come a time when this will be solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024