WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm going to Durham, NC tomorrow for two to three months to research my next book, and I'm probably not going to be around much. I need to get a lot done in a short amount of time.

BUT! Jonathan, I know that you and George Bragg will be working together, and I sent him something that I think will help you both. My email is horn@echonyc.com, if you need to reach me, or would like to know how to reach anyone I spoke to. I hope you and your family find the answers you are looking for and I will do anything I can to help you.

I found some very interesting information today concerning the excavation that was done on the site of the fire. This was done in 1949 after Mr. Sodder engaged the services of a pathologist from Washington, DC. What I did not realize was that the pathologist was the renown Dr. Oscar B. Hunter Jr. A google search will turn up many articles written about Dr. Hunter including mention of him in the Warren Report. I am sure that Dr. Hunter conducted a thorough search of the site. It was he who told the Sodders that he doubted that the fire was intense enough to burn all traces of the bodies, while leaving a flammable book only partly consumed. He also told the Sodders that there should have been a large amount of bones in the debris. This information has been posted before but the point that I am trying to make, is that the excavation was done by what I would consider an expert. Here is a exerpt from Stacy's story:

[It wasn’t that the remains were not there, necessarily, but they might have been missed by people who weren’t professionals, and who didn’t search for very long. The search that took place in 1949 sounded even less methodical.

Can someone please post the link to Stacy's ariticle on her website. I have looked on there and cannot find it. I saw a hyperlink on the sodder fire, but there are only pictures there. Thanks.

Some more statements from the Sodders from a letter written in 1951:

"The fire Marshall does not like our method of searching the soil from the excavation. He said it should have been screened. However, Dr. Hunter said this was not necessary, that the large bones would have been found had they been there.

Two detectives were told by lawmakers in Fayetteville to stay out of the case and keep out.

The prosecuting Attorney in Fayetteville said he did not wish to open a case against people with whom he had to live and eat." Unsolved Murders

Conclusion: Anyone outside of the community agreed with the Sodders; those officials inside the community disagreed with the Sodders.

fox1950 said:
The prosecuting Attorney in Fayetteville said he did not wish to open a case against people with whom he had to live and eat." Unsolved Murders

hmmm......who did he eat with? Is he implicatiing his wife or someone else?

mysteriew said:
hmmm......who did he eat with? Is he implicatiing his wife or someone else?
No, I don't think his wife was involved. Ha! I think he was speaking of the people in the community that he had to (live and eat with).

I don't see the need for a new thread. The "facts" are so blurry, I'm not sure what you would post as a known fact except that 5 kids ceased to exist as the family knew them that night and nothing more. There's not even agreement on whether the kids were killed in the fire or if they were not. The entire problem with the case is that the investigating units covered up real evidence, planted false evidence and lied about this case from the beginning. They knew this fire was going to happen, they knew who was going to be involved and they knew they would do whatever was necessary to keep the perps from being named.

THERE, I'VE SAID IT!!

I've tried to politely say these things without pointing any fingers or being ugly, but it seems the blunt route was the only way to go. Just a little more of my opinion that you can take or leave - big names were involved in this. When the prosecutor was talking about people he "lived and ate with" (no, he's not talking about his wife for heaven's sake), he's talking about people that you do business with everyday (if you live and work there), you go to church with them, you possibly rent your home or office space from them, you pass them on the street and speak to them, you eat with them at the diner at lunch .... In the info I have dug thru, the Janutolo name(s) are dead on.

The store my friend and I have operated for 4 years is closing this month which means I'm going to have some time on my hands before I start job-hunting. I intend to do a little more research on this story.

Has Jonathon ever contacted the present fire marshall for that area? Maybe asked them to review the case? In arson cases, the LE tends to go on what the fire chief and the fire marshall say. Well, we know about the fire chief. But now there would be a different fire marshall. If a family member asked them to review the info, presented the picture his mother recieved, and anything else that he may have that indicates that the children are alive- maybe they would review it, and they could then present their findings to LE.

Second, has he ever contacted the state attorney general? He could make an appt. to meet with them, present the info, and ask that the state look into the case. (that would also work nicely with the request to the state for the memorial following the request).

:clap::clap:Now why don't you tell us how you really feel? I must say that I agree with some things that you point out. I think that even today, 60 years later, there are people who do not want this to receve the attention that it is.

LButler said:
I don't see the need for a new thread. The "facts" are so blurry, I'm not sure what you would post as a known fact except that 5 kids ceased to exist as the family knew them that night and nothing more. There's not even agreement on whether the kids were killed in the fire or if they were not. The entire problem with the case is that the investigating units covered up real evidence, planted false evidence and lied about this case from the beginning. They knew this fire was going to happen, they knew who was going to be involved and they knew they would do whatever was necessary to keep the perps from being named.

THERE, I'VE SAID IT!!

I've tried to politely say these things without pointing any fingers or being ugly, but it seems the blunt route was the only way to go. Just a little more of my opinion that you can take or leave - big names were involved in this. When the prosecutor was talking about people he "lived and ate with" (no, he's not talking about his wife for heaven's sake), he's talking about people that you do business with everyday (if you live and work there), you go to church with them, you possibly rent your home or office space from them, you pass them on the street and speak to them, you eat with them at the diner at lunch .... In the info I have dug thru, the Janutolo name(s) are dead on.

The store my friend and I have operated for 4 years is closing this month which means I'm going to have some time on my hands before I start job-hunting. I intend to do a little more research on this story.

Just another circle...wonder if the neighbor who made the wrong number that night had knowledge of something that was going down that night and wanted the Sodder's awake when it happened. Or saw something and was afraid to speak up as so many people seemed to be. People who have knowledge of what happened seem to be wary of speaking up even today. To the Sodder Children if you are alive: Please come forward...your family needs to know.

Hello all. My mom is Sylvia, the youngest Sodder child. I’ve been reading your posts for several months. Since my mom doesn’t have access to the Internet at home, I printed all the messages in this thread for her to read. She’s very impressed by your interest and dedication to resolving the disappearance of her brothers and sisters. She asked that I pass on the following message to you.

My mom is willing to answer any questions she can that you might have. Mom has been sorting through her records and photos to assemble the information she has related to her siblings’ disappearance. She will share it with Websleuths as soon as possible. We’ll find an easy way to disseminate the information to you.

Jonathan, in that regard, Mom hopes that you found the suitcases of information on the missing children that your grandfather (John) collected from Mama's (Jennie Sodder’s) house after her death. Mom tried to call you several times before Christmas, but you must have been busy with school. She’ll try to call you again tomorrow.

Since Mom was only three when the fire occurred, she grew up watching her parents mourn the loss of their children and work diligently to bring them home. When she grew up and married, she and my father helped my grandparents continue the search. My grandparents loved each other and their children deeply. Mom and Dad took us to my grandparents’ house every Christmas Eve, staying late into the night so they would not be alone. We always returned to their home on Christmas day. You have all worked hard to be careful of the family’s feelings, and we appreciate that effort.

Thanks for all your help.

Granddaughter said:
Hello all. My mom is Sylvia, the youngest Sodder child. I’ve been reading your posts for several months. Since my mom doesn’t have access to the Internet at home, I printed all the messages in this thread for her to read. She’s very impressed by your interest and dedication to resolving the disappearance of her brothers and sisters. She asked that I pass on the following message to you.

My mom is willing to answer any questions she can that you might have. Mom has been sorting through her records and photos to assemble the information she has related to her siblings’ disappearance. She will share it with Websleuths as soon as possible. We’ll find an easy way to disseminate the information to you.

Jonathan, in that regard, Mom hopes that you found the suitcases of information on the missing children that your grandfather (John) collected from Mama's (Jennie Sodder’s) house after her death. Mom tried to call you several times before Christmas, but you must have been busy with school. She’ll try to call you again tomorrow.

Since Mom was only three when the fire occurred, she grew up watching her parents mourn the loss of their children and work diligently to bring them home. When she grew up and married, she and my father helped my grandparents continue the search. My grandparents loved each other and their children deeply. Mom and Dad took us to my grandparents’ house every Christmas Eve, staying late into the night so they would not be alone. We always returned to their home on Christmas day. You have all worked hard to be careful of the family’s feelings, and we appreciate that effort.

Thanks for all your help.
Welcome Sodder family to Websleuths. I am so glad you have come here to help us help you. My parents are both from WV, and my grandma lived around the area that your grandparents lived. I remember seeing the billboard everytime we visited there. That's why when I read the Bragg's book, and then the same week found this ongoing thread I felt compelled to follow this case. I really don't know what to make of all this. I just really hope that some how answers are found.

I will be working on an outline of the story and this outline will be published on Blogspot. Here is the link....
Sodder Family Mystery Blog

I am having my mother look for a suitcase that had letters from people who wrote to my great-grandparents concerning possible sightings of the children. However, my mother thought that this suitcase was destroyed in a flood in my grandfather's house and that my grandfather had thrown it out.

Nonetheless, she is looking and will let me know.

I am sorry that I am not fast with posting on this site...I am trying to finish up my Master's and work at the same time.

JBandy said:
I will be working on an outline of the story and this outline will be published on Blogspot. Here is the link....
Sodder Family Mystery Blog

I am having my mother look for a suitcase that had letters from people who wrote to my great-grandparents concerning possible sightings of the children. However, my mother thought that this suitcase was destroyed in a flood in my grandfather's house and that my grandfather had thrown it out.

Nonetheless, she is looking and will let me know.

I am sorry that I am not fast with posting on this site...I am trying to finish up my Master's and work at the same time.

Post when you can! I totally understand about school and other obligations. I am a student (4 years now on just my associates!), and a mom, and part time sleuth.

For the new posters and family members. Welcome to WS! I think this is one of the most intriguing mysteries I have ever seen. My sympathies to your family, as I know that to you- it is more of a tragedy than a mystery.
I hope we can come up with something to help your family. These people here in Cold Case are pretty amazing people. They have been working very hard on the case, and I know that now that you are posting, they will work even harder. Thanks for coming here, and thanks for making your info available. It will be a huge help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024