WV - Sodder Family - 5 children, Christmas eve 1945 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the last page on which I have info at this time. It is typed, but the name "Sgt. Reger" is handwritten at the top. I'm not sure who wrote it. It says that the following info was received at Dept. Headquarters Feb. 18, 1952 from Mr. John Woodruff, Special Agent, FBI.

"On Sept. 20, 1949, George Sodder was in Washington, D.C., and at that time reported this matter to the FBI. He related all the facts and background in the case, which are already known, but in conclusion he stated that he had received no threats, no ransom notes, and had no evidence of kidnapping, and at that time nothing was said about the possibility of the children being in Florida.

"On Sept. 10, 1951, Mr. Archie L. Wyley, a private detective of Tampa Patrol Detective Association, Tampa, Florida, reported this case to the Miami Office of FBI, and gave the background of the case, which is already known.

"At that time he stated that he had been hired by letter by the West Virginia Merchant Police, of Charleston, West Virginia, to investigate this case. He related that five children of Mr. and Mrs. George Sodder, who were reported burned to death in a fire at Fayetteville, West Virginia, on Christmas Eve, 1945, and that information had been developed which indicated that these children had been kidnapped and were now living with the family of Frank Cipriani. He believed the children had been kidnapped and taken to Florida.

"On continued questioning, Wyley finally admitted that he was confident two of the children who reside in the home of Cipriani, and that Martha Lee Cipriani was actually a daughter of Frank Cipriani instead of being Martha Lee Sodder as originally reported.

"The FBI investigation included a check of birth records and school records dating back to 1940 and 1941. These checks reflected that the four children in Florida living with Mr. and Mrs. Frank Cipriani are all natural born citizens of the Ciprianis. The school records reflect that these children were in school, some of them back to 1941, and the records were traced all the way through to 1951 and there is no break in their attendance in Florida schools.

"Frank Hall Cipriani, an 8th grade student at Manatee County Junior High School, Bradenton, Florida, Martha Lee Cipriani, a student of the University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, and Mrs. Frank Cipriani, Cortez, Florida, were all individually interviewed and they told exactly the same story. The facts were that the Ciprianis were residing at Cortez, Florida, and that the children were playing with neighbor children on Christmas Day, 1945, and when they came in they learned that their father and mother were very unhappy because they had received a telegram from West Virginia advising that the home of the Sodder family had burned the night before and five of the children burned to death. None of the Ciprianis went to West Virginia for the funeral and they had no direct contact with the family until about a year later."

If there were children other than Frank's staying with them down in Cortez, and if they were not the Sodder children, I would guess they were Jimmy Cipriani's since he was working with Frank, and most likely the one traveling back and forth every couple of weeks.

That's right... it was apparently a source of confusion back then, but I know for a fact that Frank's daughter was named Martha, so I assume the middle name Lee is correct also.

Wouldn't the Sodders and the Cipriani's have visited each other at all in the years since the fire? Wouldn't they have seen the children or some signs of them if they were with the Cipriani's?

That's right... it was apparently a source of confusion back then, but I know for a fact that Frank's daughter was named Martha, so I assume the middle name Lee is correct also.
I wonder why the Sodders would not have already known that Frank had a daughter named Martha Lee also before the fire occurred. If she was in college in 1951 then she would have been born before the fire. Were the Sodders and Ciprianis not close? Seems they knew little about each other.

Rhett, I have a feeling that the two families were not close after the fire, simply because the Sodders were a part of the investigation that went on in Florida. Apparently there was a lack of trust there. Seems a though there was some conflict over Mrs. Sodder's father's estate prior to the fire.

Jimmy Cipriani was part of the search the day after the fire of the ashes. Apparently he said later during a hearing, that he saw remains of the children that day. What I can not understand is why he did not talk to Mrs. Sodder after she became convinced the children were alive and told her this information. Maybe he did and she didn't believe him. Seems these two families relationship was very strained.

I'm sure the Sodders new about Martha Cipriani. I believe any confusion was with the witnesses or law enforcement when the Ciprianis were being investigated a few years after the fire. Once the story went national, several people claimed to have seen the children in Cortez, so then the records had to be checked to verify that the children living with Frank, including Martha, were his. That's when things got confusing with him having a daughter named Martha Lee.

I don't think anyone believed that the children lived with Frank in Cortez all through the years. The theory is that they came to stay with him or his sister for a few months or years, but were moved by the time the investigation was focused in that direction. Frank Cipriani was not close to the Sodders during that time period and did not make it back to WV for the funeral.

From what you've read, Birdie, do you feel the children were close with any member of the Cipriani family? Was there a member with whom they may have felt comfortable, or had spent any appreciable amount of time with?

Granddaughter could probably answer better than I, but I'll try. I get the feeling they knew all the Ciprianis, but that Frank and his family were the ones they were least close to since they had lived in Florida for a few years by the time of the fire. I think they were closer to Alma... the Sodders were very grateful to her for supplying the photos of the children after the fire. She, Jimmy, and Mary all lived in the area I believe. Edna had moved away at some point, I think to the Carolinas, but I'm not sure when. I heard wonderful things about Joseph Cipriani, Jennie's father who had passed away a year earlier, and know that Mr. Sodder respected him tremendously. I think they were probably fairly close to their grandmother, but I can't imagine her being involved in any way.

Many children in the 1940's were named after family members who had died or even were still living. May I ask, is it possible that the wife's brother named his daughter, Martha Lee after someone in the family, and is it possible that Mrs. Sodder did the same with her daughter? Maybe a grandma or a great grandparent that either died or was left behind in Italy?

That would make sense. Also, Mary and Martha are both common names in Catholic and other Christian families, so that could be it also. Someone in the Sodder family might be able to answer that better. I do believe from info I read on a genealogy message board that their Aunt Alma was named after her grandmother back in Italy.

Birdie, did all the investigations in Florida result from the rumor that the children stayed at the Bree's overnight before being picked up by one of Mrs. Sodder's brothers?

I could be wrong, but I think the Florida focus came after the story went national with the reward and tips started coming in. I believe the first reported Cortez sighting was by a missionary down there who claimed to have been in the home and seen the children. There were apparently 5 witnesses who were quoted as saying they had seen them there, then later denied it. I'm pretty sure the Bennetts are 2 of the 5 counted. I just don't know whether they were all mistaken, lying for the reward, misquoted by unscrupulous PI's, or truthful at first but intimidated into recanting. Each of these seems like a possibility to me since I don't know much about the people involved.

The part about the Brees seemed to support the Cortez theory on the surface, but I don't think it started it all. I don't know which part was reported first.

I was in contact today with the lady I've been talking to in Cortez, and she knows some of the children of people involved (like the Bennetts and Evers), so I hope I'll be able to talk to them soon. I'd like to take a few days to go back down there and meet a lot of people who might know something, but I doubt I can until after the holidays. I'll probably have to settle for email or phone right now.

I just recieved an email from a woman who went to school at the right Walt Whitman school. She only went for a half a year but she even stayed at Louise Kreugar's home. She told me Louise was a wonderful person and asked me why I was interested in the school. I just sent her an email detailing the case. I hope she will get back to me. Perhaps, even though she was there for only a short time, perhaps she knew the Betty look a like. Cross your fingers, we may get lucky here.

I stumbled onto your posting regarding Walt Whitman School when I was googling
the school out of curiosity this morning. How amazing to discover someone out
there actually remembers the place!

I attended Walt Whitman School for only one academic year 1955-1956 when I was
in second grade. Although I was only 8-yrs. old, I remember Louise Krueger
because I spent the summer of 1956 at her ranch outside Tucson, Arizona. Miss
Krueger (as I always addressed her) would board a small number of students at
the ranch during her summer vacation and my parents sent me out there with her
to recover from chronic bronchitis. For some reason, I remember being told Ms.
Krueger had acquired the ranch as part of a divorce settlement . A married
couple with a teenage cowboy son named Rusty managed the ranch for Ms.Krueger, and as I became Rusty's adoring little mascot following him
everywhere, Rusty probably told me.

Anyway, I still have wonderful memories of that summer in 1956 spent at Louise
Krueger's ranch, and although I can't remember anything specific about her, I do
remember her as a kind woman I felt safe with as a child. She took me on all
sorts of exciting trips, driving around Arizona sightseeing and driving up Mount
Lemon in the Catalina mountains outside Tucson. Thinking back, I realize I lived
under the same roof with her for 3 months, eating meals together, swimming
everyday, horseback riding. All my life, I've said that the summer of 1956 spent
at Miss Krueger's ranch was the happiest summer of my life. So obviously, Louise
Krueger was an exceptional educator and human being to take such good care of a
sickly, shy little girl and give her such a wonderful experience.

I'm curious about why you're interested in Walt Whitman School. Did you go
there, too? Several years ago before the Internet became readily available, I once tried to track down info on the school
but couldn't find anything. It's as if the school simply vanished. And now,I'm
curious about the trajectory of Louise Krueger's life. Given what her age might
have realistically been when I knew her in 1956, she's probably dead by now.

Hope my little story helps and I'd appreciate any details you might be able to
provide on the school and Louise Krueger.

Best,

Eleanore

I just looked under World War II veterans in the History of Fayette County, West Virginia, 1993, book and James Cipriani was listed as serving in World War II. I would suspect that this is Jimmy, since Alma was only in her early 30's when she was killed. Also listed was an Edward and a Joseph Cipriani.

These may not be the ones referred to there, but I know that Mrs. Sodder's father was named Joseph, a brother of hers was James (Jimmy), and her other brother Frank had a son named Edward.

Oh, and I forgot that Frank also had a son Joseph. Edward was the oldest and ended up settling in Cortez, but Joseph, the second oldest, stayed in Fayette Co., WV I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!