WY WY - Cian McLaughlin, 27, hiker, Grand Teton National Park, Jackson, 8 Jun 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Search continues for Dublin man missing in US Rocky Mountains
image.jpg

“Aerial reconnaissance and ground-search operations were conducted in high probability areas in the park on Sunday, June 13th, in search of McLaughlin with no evidence or leads about his whereabouts. Search operations will continue early Monday morning, June 14th,” said the NPS.

In a public appeal, the NPS called on anyone travelling in “backcountry” inside the park since last Tuesday to come forward if they have any information about Mr McLaughlin.

The Dubliner’s Facebook page says he started working at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort last December and that he previously lived in the French ski resort of Chamonix.''
Oh wow! He lived in Chamonix. Such a beautiful place. That's the town below Mont Blanc...If he's accustomed to hiking there and on those surrounding mountain trails, he's would certainly be considered experienced. And, I can't imagine living there and not going up into the Alps there.

Still concerns me he seems to have had no pack. Even day hikers need water and snacks. And he gave no report to anyone as to where he planned to hike. Makes the searching so much more difficult.

I hate to say this, but if he had no pack and was not carrying water it seems somewhat likely this is self-harm. I carry at the bare minimum on any hike water and snacks, and that is for short hikes. Longer I will carry more. My buddy does hike in cutoffs so I do not find that unusual. What was his state of mind prior? If he was happy and relieved that worries me more. People usually seem that way prior to suicide....I've lost many friends to suicide unfortunately.

I hate to say this, but if he had no pack and was not carrying water it seems somewhat likely this is self-harm. I carry at the bare minimum on any hike water and snacks, and that is for short hikes. Longer I will carry more. My buddy does hike in cutoffs so I do not find that unusual. What was his state of mind prior? If he was happy and relieved that worries me more. People usually seem that way prior to suicide....I've lost many friends to suicide unfortunately.

It has been unseasonably hot in Jackson which makes me wonder if he was planning to just go sit at one of the lakes that are only a short hike from the trailhead and write in a journal, dip his feet in the lake, meditate, etc. Unfortunately, having no supplies with you greatly reduces your chances of survival if anything goes wrong. I hope they are searching the lake shorelines carefully in case he was in search of a quiet spot.

It has been unseasonably hot in Jackson which makes me wonder if he was planning to just go sit at one of the lakes that are only a short hike from the trailhead and write in a journal, dip his feet in the lake, meditate, etc. Unfortunately, having no supplies with you greatly reduces your chances of survival if anything goes wrong. I hope they are searching the lake shorelines carefully in case he was in search of a quiet spot.
Yes, that's similiar to what I've been thinking. He's a seasoned world traveler and has experience with mountains - I would think he'd know not to go on a big hike without proper clothing and gear. So I'm assuming he went with the intention of a short, easy walk somewhere and met with unexpected trouble. A slip off a path? Stepped of a path and got lost?

jmo

With the lack of gear I wonder if he was trying his hand at a “Naked and Afraid” type scenario? Just speculation. As a relatively inexperienced hiker in WY we brought Fanny packs with water, light snacks, heat reflective blanket, waterproof matches, whistle and a knife at a minimum. I would imagine an experienced hiker would want that and then some.
IMOO

Here is an updated photo of missing person Cian McLaughlin, who was last seen around 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8, approximately a half mile from the Lupine Meadows Trailhead, hiking to an unknown destination.

McLaughlin was last seen wearing a cutoff tank top and shorts (unknown color), a bucket hat, and round sunglasses. He was not wearing a backpack. McLaughlin is described as six feet tall and 180 pounds. He has brown eyes and brown, collar length hair that he sometimes wears in a bun. He is said to be thin and has an Irish accent.

Anyone who has traveled in the Teton backcountry since Tuesday, June 8, may have seen him. If you have information regarding his whereabouts, please contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch:
Call or text the tip line: 888-653-0009
Online: www.nps.gov/ISB and click “Submit a Tip”
Email: nps_isb@nps.gov

200253743_4638410859506807_6603841245578369821_n.jpg

Search operations continued into the third day for missing 27-year-old man Cian McLaughlin in Grand Teton National Park. McLaughlin was last seen by a friend around 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8, approximately a half mile from the Lupine Meadows Trailhead, hiking to an unknown destination.
Rangers received additional tips today about potential sightings of McLaughlin on the switchbacks below the Garnet Canyon/Surprise Lake junction and in the vicinity of Delta Lake on Tuesday, June 8.

As McLaughlin’s plans were unclear, anyone who has been traveling in the Teton backcountry since Tuesday, June 8, may have seen him and are encouraged to contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch.

Security cameras show that McLaughlin entered the park via the Moose Entrance Station on Tuesday, June 8 at 2:15 p.m. He was wearing a white short-sleeve shirt and a red watch while in his vehicle. In addition, it is believed he was wearing shorts, a bucket hat, and round sunglasses. McLaughlin also has a noticeable forearm tattoo on his left arm. The missing person flyer has been updated.

Today’s search included over forty park staff conducting ground search efforts in high probability areas of the backcountry. Five search and rescue dog teams, members of Teton County Search and Rescue, and the Teton Interagency Helicopter have also been involved. In addition, the Civil Air Patrol flew a search this morning using Forward Looking Infrared, a thermographic camera that senses infrared radiation. Search operations will continue tomorrow.

Anyone with information regarding McLaughlin’s whereabouts is asked to contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch:
For more information, please visit: https://go.nps.gov/ds8il9

200248776_4640890035925556_1185595025390715816_n.jpg

Here is map and description of the trail where he was seen on switchbacks. Described recently as most beautiful view, difficult climb, parts near top easy to get off the trail, weather hot and dry..if this was his destination, he may have taken on too much and been underprepared. Also may have gotten off trail. Water would have been a necessity.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/wyoming/delta-lake-via-lupine-meadows-access

Grand Teton National Park 36 minutes ago ·

Search efforts continued today in Grand Teton National Park for 27-year-old Cian McLaughlin, who has now been missing for eight days.
Today, rangers received a report of a June 8 sighting of a man fitting McLaughlin’s description by a local climbing guide. The guide reported seeing the man hiking up the Garnet Canyon trail, above the Garnet Canyon/Surprise Lake junction around 3:45 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8. He described him as a solo hiker who had shoulder-length hair and was wearing round glasses, a white shirt, shorts, and a hat. The guide also reported the man as having tattoos on his arms and carrying a bottle of water.
Based on this new information, search operations will be adjusted tomorrow to focus more on Garnet Canyon.
Today’s search included over fifty park staff conducting ground search efforts in high probability areas of the backcountry. Six search and rescue dog teams, members of Teton County Search and Rescue, and the Teton Interagency Helicopter have also been involved.
As McLaughlin’s plans were unclear, anyone who has been traveling in the Teton backcountry since Tuesday, June 8, may have seen him. Anyone with information regarding McLaughlin’s whereabouts is asked to contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch:
260e.png
1f30e.png
1f4e7.png
For more information, please visit: https://go.nps.gov/1mwwbw

Last September, I tried to do this hike and was crying in frustration a few miles in due to lack of supplies and exhaustion. Luckily, a lot of people attempt it, so there will be much foot traffic to potentially see some trace of him. Unfortunately, there are endless drop-offs and cliffs on the journey. Hoping for the best.

Last September, I tried to do this hike and was crying in frustration a few miles in due to lack of supplies and exhaustion. Luckily, a lot of people attempt it, so there will be much foot traffic to potentially see some trace of him. Unfortunately, there are endless drop-offs and cliffs on the journey. Hoping for the best.
When I say “this hike,” I mean the Delta Lake one.

When I say “this hike,” I mean the Delta Lake one.
I think that seems to have been his destination as well. It has elevation, and it's been hot there. So, I just don't understand why he would attempt a hike like this, or even up Garnett Canyon without a pack of some sort.

Could this have been a spontaneous hike? Did he presume it to be an easy out and back? I mean, I've done that, where you start out just checking a trail, not intending to go very far, and then intrigue and wanting to see what's over the next hill or around the next corner takes over. Or it starts out
easy.

If he was seen up on that canyon trail, it seems quite possible that he fell or got off trail, or became dehydrated and sunburned. Without supplies, he surely would have been in big trouble. Fingers crossed he is found today.

ETA Info for any hike to be prepared. I wish more hikers would pay attention.

The Ten Essentials

And starting a hike around 2:15pm is odd. If he had a pack on, I’d find it slightly less odd. But to start a hike in the middle of the day with no pack, that seems odd.
I am wondering if he didn't intend a full hike, but a shorter jaunt to soak in scenery, take some photos, maybe stop and sit for awhile just to enjoy being there....not necessarily to "hike" for a long time. Perhaps as he explored a place to hang out, he ventured off trail and got lost or fell. :(

I'm glad there has been a second sighting of him. I hope that leads searchers to him. Does it sound like he was continuing to venture further along the trail or was he on his way back?

jmo

I haven't done this hike but have been in Grand Teton NP before and it is absolutely stunning around every turn.

The lack of pack or supplies, just a bottle of water, plus the later start (for lengthy hikes, most people start at dawn or at least in the AM), makes me think he just intended a short jaunt. Honestly, the only time I'd ever set off on a hike in a national park with just carrying a bottle of water would be maybe a 1 mile easy walk. Otherwise, I would have my day pack on me with a lot more water, snacks, First Aid, jacket, etc because you just never know.

Unfortunately, it feels like an accident and very likely not still alive :( Like others pointed out, one misstep near a drop off and there you go. Or perhaps got himself into a situation where he was physically OK (maybe a short fall?) but did not have the supplies with him to survive out in the elements for long.

Grand Teton National Park
3 hours ago

Search operations are underway again today in Grand Teton National Park for 27-year-old Cian McLaughlin, who has been missing for nine days. The last reported sighting of a man fitting McLaughlin’s description was on the Garnet Canyon Trail, a short distance above the Garnet Canyon/Surprise Lake junction around 3:45 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8.

Operations include over fifty park staff conducting ground search efforts. Teams have been flown into the Garnet Canyon area this morning by the Teton Interagency Helicopter. The search includes 5 dog teams and members of Teton County Search and Rescue. An aerial search is also underway.

Anyone with information regarding McLaughlin’s whereabouts is asked to contact the National Park Service Investigative Services Branch:
260e.png
1f30e.png
1f4e7.png
Email: nps_isb@nps.govCall or text the tip line: 888-653-0009

NPS Photos
202231826_4645806938767199_2142487268503013189_n.jpg 202337327_4645806222100604_1657572795436401517_n.jpg 199142408_4645805182100708_3602494137956222475_n.jpg 199299382_4645806762100550_5898747474620324573_n.jpg

Grand Teton National Park
3 hours ago

Search operations are underway again today in Grand Teton National Park for 27-year-old Cian McLaughlin, who has been missing for nine days. The last reported sighting of a man fitting McLaughlin’s description was on the Garnet Canyon Trail, a short distance above the Garnet Canyon/Surprise Lake junction around 3:45 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8.

Operations include over fifty park staff conducting ground search efforts. Teams have been flown into the Garnet Canyon area this morning by the Teton Interagency Helicopter. The search includes 5 dog teams and members of Teton County Search and Rescue. An aerial search is also underway.

260e.png
1f30e.png
1f4e7.png
Email: nps_isb@nps.govCall or text the tip line: 888-653-0009

NPS Photos
View attachment 301108 View attachment 301107 View attachment 301106 View attachment 301105
Kudos to GTNP for the thorough search and the daily updates.

Focus shifts in search for man missing in Grand Teton National Park - East Idaho News

MOOSE, Wyoming — Search operations continued Thursday in Grand Teton National Park for 27-year-old Cian McLaughlin, who has been missing for nine days.

Based on information provided by a local climbing guide Wednesday night, operations were adjusted to focus efforts on the Garnet Canyon area. The last reported sighting of a man fitting McLaughlin’s description was on the Garnet Canyon Trail, a short distance above the Garnet Canyon/Surprise Lake junction, around 3:45 p.m. on Tuesday, June 8.

Over 60 park staff members extensively searched the Garnet Canyon area Thursday. Teams were flown into the Garnet Canyon area by the Teton Interagency Helicopter. Efforts included five search and rescue dog teams and members of Teton County Search and Rescue. Search operations will continue Friday.

The search is still ongoing for today. The GTNP Facebook pages continues to post updates, sometimes several a day. Nothing really different except where they've looked and where they are looking.

Here is map and description of the trail where he was seen on switchbacks. Described recently as most beautiful view, difficult climb, parts near top easy to get off the trail, weather hot and dry..if this was his destination, he may have taken on too much and been underprepared. Also may have gotten off trail. Water would have been a necessity.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/wyoming/delta-lake-via-lupine-meadows-access

That top comment on the trail is pretty detailed about how hard the top section is. I can't imagine anyone trying to do it without a water bottle, even if they had decided to drink lake water.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back