Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact that JD killed 17 people is relevant in the sense that we don't know if JD had killed "only" one person his father might not have said anything. And we don't know if there has been fewer victims if reporters would have pressed him for comments. It was a long time ago but I don't recall protestors gathering outside JD's father and stepmother's house. And in the link I posted he seemed to blame more the pharmaceutical industry, his ex-wife for having mental problems, his ex-wife's mental problems for needing drug treatment...
Bbm not relevant imo. Murderer=murderer imo.

Not about me. But yes, of course, and have, and in this case I hope I would. Perhaps Gabby's parents want to know everything surrounding the murder of their daughter, and with their foundation, try and help it not happen to other people and their loved ones. Admirable goals. If it was me, I would want accountability too. Jmo
Finding out the exact time Gabby died will not help in preventing others from suffering the same fate. We know that the toxic relationship between two adults ended in the death of one of them.

The Laundrie's should not be held accountable for the actions their son took. JMO.

I had a family member murdered and I can assure you that you have no idea of what brings comfort or closure until you’ve live through it.

I can’t speak for everyone who’s lost someone special but I would have found no comfort in an apology from anyone other than the person that killed mine.
I am so very sorry for your loss.

Finding out the exact time Gabby died will not help in preventing others from suffering the same fate. We know that the toxic relationship between two adults ended in the death of one of them.

The Laundrie's should not be held accountable for the actions their son took. JMO.
Oh I was not posting about what time she died. I am not sure about my opinions on the parental responsibility with kids, in this case including adult kids that still live under their parents roof as adults. I do recall my house my rules conversations as a teen. I am looking at parents of course.

Because it's getting answers and accountability, which is the most justice that they can hope for at this point. It does help lessen pain. I'm glad that they are pursuing their lawsuits. I'd be doing the same.
Getting an answer to something that will not make any difference makes no sense to me. Trying to make the Laundrie's responsible for Gabby's death is not justice it's the opposite. It's injustice. JMO.

Oh I was not posting about what time she died. I am not sure about my opinions on the parental responsibility with kids, in this case including adult kids that still live under their parents roof as adults. I do recall my house my rules conversations as a teen. I am looking at parents of course.
You did say this. "Gabby's parents want to know everything surrounding the murder of their daughter." so I assumed that that would include the time of death. JMO.

You did say this. "Gabby's parents want to know everything surrounding the murder of their daughter." so I assumed that that would include the time of death. JMO.
I did. And my apologies, the time was not my concern, I don't express my thoughts clearly at times. And for your earlier post, I feel some things don't make sense to everyone, and don't have to. It may be part of their own path to heal themselves. I don't know.

NCWatcher said: It was a long time ago but I don't recall protestors gathering outside JD's father and stepmother's house.

The same reporters/protesters gathered outside the house in the Casey Anthony case. so it's happened before.

Last edited:
I had a family member murdered and I can assure you that you have no idea of what brings comfort or closure until you’ve live through it.

I can’t speak for everyone who’s lost someone special but I would have found no comfort in an apology from anyone other than the person that killed mine.
No, but I have also had a relative who was murdered, and I can assure you that we want answers. So many unanswered questions.

Not about me. But yes, of course, and have, and in this case I hope I would. Perhaps Gabby's parents want to know everything surrounding the murder of their daughter, and with their foundation, try and help it not happen to other people and their loved ones. Admirable goals. If it was me, I would want accountability too. Jmo
Yes, the Petito's initial fundraising campaign gathered almost $100K. A tremendous outpouring of sympathy.

At this point, the Ps are saying the Ls actions during the time GP was missing added to their turmoil, inflicting additional pain then. Any apology now from the Ls will only serve as fuel for the fire, imo, because the judge basically already said they should have remained silent (instead of SB's statement).

No, but I have also had a relative who was murdered, and I can assure you that we want answers. So many unanswered questions.

Holding the parents responsible or insisting they apologize will not provide answers nor will lawsuits for financial settlements.

If you’ve had a family member murdered, you also know that no matter how many answers you get, it’s never enough.

From my understanding, the Petitos' lawsuit is not about holding the Laudries accountable for what BL did or for how they raised him.

It's about their own actions after BL returned to FL without GP, namely their complete refusal to assist in a missing persons case by withholding important information relevant to the case that they (presumably) possessed at that time.

They're raising the question and forcing the issue of whether, if someone knows the whereabouts of a missing person whom there is reason to suspect was harmed or in danger, what is their moral and legal obligation and under what circumstances should they be compelled to divulge what they know. They want to prevent other families from having to go through what they did in those days when they KNEW that Brian and his family knew SOMETHING about where Gabby was and KNEW that something terrible must have happened to her but were being completely stonewalled.

I'm puzzled at the periodic demands that surface for an apology (public or not.) The L's weren't responsible for what their adult son did. And if for some reason they did apologize, I'm not so sure the reaction wouldn't be "how dare they think an apology will help! That just proves how cold-hearted they are!" Do people think the P's really want to hear an apology for B's actions from his parents? If I were them I wouldn't. So who would be the apology be for?
JMO

I agree completely. Both sets of parents are victims who have lost their children. Who knows what each set are thinking? They're likely still deep in grief and (maybe) blaming one another. JMOO. The P's might be thinking that L's raised their son to be a spoiled violent, brat, while the L's may feel as though the P's didn't care about their child for the two years the L's fed and sheltered her.

<modsnip>

For everyone's sake, I hope this case moves quickly--no matter what the outcome is--and that both families can then start to heal in earnest.

<modsnip>

JMOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Holding the parents responsible or insisting they apologize will not provide answers nor will lawsuits for financial settlements.

If you’ve had a family member murdered, you also know that no matter how many answers you get, it’s never enough.
I disagree, and it's not an "if". My cousin WAS murdered, and his killer's trial is set for 3 months from now. He has a thread here on Websleuths. Answers and accountability definitely help!!!

From my understanding, the Petitos' lawsuit is not about holding the Laudries accountable for what BL did or for how they raised him.

It's about their own actions after BL returned to FL without GP, namely their complete refusal to assist in a missing persons case by withholding important information relevant to the case that they (presumably) possessed at that time.

They're raising the question and forcing the issue of whether, if someone knows the whereabouts of a missing person whom there is reason to suspect was harmed or in danger, what is their moral and legal obligation and under what circumstances should they be compelled to divulge what they know. They want to prevent other families from having to go through what they did in those days when they KNEW that Brian and his family knew SOMETHING about where Gabby was and KNEW that something terrible must have happened to her but were being completely stonewalled.
BBM
Wouldn’t LE/FBI have determined if the Ls had failed any legal obligation?
What is it that Gabby’s family can find out that they couldn’t?

Petito's are suing on the grounds of intentional infliction of emotional distress. They made it clear the Laundries were told by their son of Gabby’s murder “on or about” Aug. 28th.

And rather than tell them of Gabby’s death, Laundries chose to remain silent.

The lawsuit accuses the Laundrie family of acting “with malice or great indifference to the rights" of Petito family.

Petitos and Schmidts are seeking damages of at least $100,000, stating that they suffered pain and mental anguish as a result of the “willfulness and maliciousness” of the Laundries.

Laundries atty argued that the his clients had a constitutional right to not say anything, and their silence cannot hold weight in this suit of emotional distress...yet they did say something.

And after all that is said, Petito's atty states he has a “high confidence level” the lawsuit will reach a jury trial, if it doesn’t get settled out of court.

I think it should be the parents' responsibility to send in a tip if they find out that their son committed a murder, but I'm not a lawyer. What are the parameters for an impeding an investigation charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper