Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This all remains to be seen.
No doubt this is going to trial---something Laundries don't want.

Esp after Brian left...there was no more saving him at that point, why not come clean?

I can't imagine what it would be like to be in the shoes of either set of parents. How awful for both of them.

JMOO, but I kind of doubt the L's will be forthcoming about the conversations they had with Brian before he left.

I think they were scared he would kill himself but I think they fervently wished he would have lived.

If the L's have any knowledge, I'm guessing they won't tell now. MOO There's nothing quite like getting a family to close ranks than filing a civil suit. I understand the need the P's must be feeling, but I also remember watching when folks camped out in front of the L's house and caused trouble.

I just think - MOO - that the L's might feel as though they've been unfairly judged and that they're going to dig in their heels.

JMOO

Just watched the documentary Gabby Petito The murder that gripped the world. Every time I hear anything from her parents, it always breaks my heart.
What app/ channel was this on? TIA.

Interesting how Brian and his parents just went about their normal life like nothing was wrong, like nothing happened to Gabby. All playing Happy Family.

And why??......

Going on bike rides, mowing the lawn, and even going on a camping trip... How nice for Brian... They all went about their business pretending like nothing ever happened.

Isn't that exactly what Brian did right after he murdered Gabby. Sending texts pretending that she was alive. Sending texts between her phone and his. Sending texts to her mother...

My own opinion is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree... They went about their business pretending like nothing ever happened...moo

Worth repeating. The link is rather interesting.

Worth repeating. The link is rather interesting.

I understand the neighbors' concerns about BL acting normal when he returned home after killing Gabby, but the parents, as far as we know, had no reason not to go bike riding, mow the lawn, or go camping if they didn't know what happened to Gabby. I doubt Brian told them he had killed Gabby.

@ the 6:14 mark:
Interesting what Dog says about the BL note
(in his opinion it’s lawyer advised verbiage).
Also what is said re the camping trip, the suicide(location of wound) suddenly found remains, disappearing (after pronounced deceased) & the local LE budget.

Edited to add :
Most startling to Coffindaffer was the determination that Laundrie shot himself in the left side of his head, despite indications in the autopsy he “was right hand dominant.”
“That was bothersome,” she said. “Because it does not fit with a right-handed person committing suicide with their off hand.”

Last edited:

Also what is said re the camping trip, the suicide(location of wound) suddenly found remains, disappearing (after pronounced deceased) & the local LE budget.

Edited to add :
Most startling to Coffindaffer was the determination that Laundrie shot himself in the left side of his head, despite indications in the autopsy he “was right hand dominant.”
“That was bothersome,” she said. “Because it does not fit with a right-handed person committing suicide with their off hand.”
Very interesting. When I'm off work I can wait to check this out.

Edited to add :

Cross dominance isn't uncommon in many sports, including shooting but the whole thing has been a bit odd becasue we know little about the actualy investigation, including scene of the suicide, which likely leads to speculation. Basically, all we know his remains were damaged and scattered, there was substantial flooding in the area and there was confirmation a the gun was located at the scene.

What we don't know is if he was cross dominant, which is something his family may have confirmed, or if he sustained injuries that could have affected the use of his dominant hand.

(edited to correct a typo)

Edited to add :
@BeachSky thanks for the link! If I remember correctly Dog the Bounty Hunter is the one who brought it to everyone's attention that Laundrie's went camping in De Soto. This forced Bertolino at the end of September to confirm, yes, they were in DeSoto, they got there on the 6th and left on the 7th.

Point being, other than Laundries, moo is no one else knew that they had been there and went and did that. So kudos to the Dog.

How many other things went on and the public doesn't know, nobody knows....

These are all different pieces of the puzzle.. and I for one thank the Dog for going.

So at the time I could have SWORN there were articles where Dog claimed to have talked to Brian L. over the phone but now I cannot find anything when searching. Am I misremembering? Thanks!

So at the time I could have SWORN there were articles where Dog claimed to have talked to Brian L. over the phone but now I cannot find anything when searching. Am I misremembering? Thanks!
I don't remember ever seeing that. Like with any case, there was alot of false info initially reported. But I don't see how that particular information could have been true for tons of reasons. (Not to mention it would have been a huge deal if he talked to BL.) But Dog wasn't involved in the search until late Sept, at the earliest around the 25th. (His "search team" wasn't in place until the 27th-28th. But he announced he planned to help on the 25th.)

We know now BL must have been dead by then. The autopsy said tests showed his skeletal remains had been in the swamp at least 47 days when found on Oct 20. While that's not possible (47 days back from Oct 20 would have been Sept 3 and we know he wasn't dead then) it's just not credible to think he could have been alive as late as even Sept 25th, a mere 25 days before his bones were found. Shooting himself at that spot in the swamp as late as the 25th doesn't fit with known facts about the flooding water levels either.

Dog did announce various "discoveries" like that the Laundries camped in Ft. DeSoto Sept 1-3 (untrue--that reservation was cancelled, perhaps because torrential rain was forecast) and Sept 6-8 (true with a departure on the 8th) He claimed he had video footage showing BL did not leave Ft. DeSoto park with his parents (Obviously untrue.) But apparently DBH believed it because he spent most of his time searching islands near the park. He also seemed to seriously entertain Appalachian Trail sightings. Maybe he talked to someone who claimed to see BL? Like the guy from FL who said he saw a bearded BL driving a pickup truck near the trail in NC? And he wanted directions to California? Could that be what you remember? It was all happening at the same time.

JMO

I understand the neighbors' concerns about BL acting normal when he returned home after killing Gabby, but the parents, as far as we know, had no reason not to go bike riding, mow the lawn, or go camping if they didn't know what happened to Gabby. I doubt Brian told them he had killed Gabby.

I agree with this. The parents were acting as any normal parents would, IMOO.

I also think Brian's suicide note indicates he had never told his parents about killing Gabby. It seems to me -- MOO -- that he was trying to spare them one last grief, the one that would make him a cold-blooded murderer. He tried to come up with a story that would make them think better of him. JMOO, but I think he probably cared very much about his parent's opinion of him and he knew he'd let them down. His story was unbelievable, of course, but I think it indicates that he tried to ease his parent's turmoil as his last act before killing himself.

I recall discussions around the Laundrie's lawyer speaking to Brian, but not Dog.

Did Brian ever speak with family’s attorney?

Bertolino confirmed to 8 On Your Side he spoke with Brian before he was reported missing.

“I can tell you I last spoke to him Sept. 13 and I spoke to him Sept. 12,” he said. “Beyond that, there’s nothing further I am going to add.”

From the Daily Mail article: In June, Reilly appeared on NewsNation claiming the Laundries' attorney, Steve Bertolino is in possession of a letter from Roberta Laundrie to her son Brian that reportedly reads 'burn after you read this' on the envelope.
The letter was not dated, but according to Reilly was written within the time that Petito was murdered and Brian Laundrie committed suicide, the lawyer claims.

Reilly called the letter 'odd' and 'pretty interesting. He would not elaborate further just that the letter referenced Gabby Petito, the news outlet reported.

This alone leads me to believe that Roberta Laundrie was told by her son Brian that he killed Gabby. I'll bet that she was offering to help him in some way.

From the Daily Mail article: In June, Reilly appeared on NewsNation claiming the Laundries' attorney, Steve Bertolino is in possession of a letter from Roberta Laundrie to her son Brian that reportedly reads 'burn after you read this' on the envelope.
The letter was not dated, but according to Reilly was written within the time that Petito was murdered and Brian Laundrie committed suicide, the lawyer claims.

Reilly called the letter 'odd' and 'pretty interesting. He would not elaborate further just that the letter referenced Gabby Petito, the news outlet reported.

This alone leads me to believe that Roberta Laundrie was told by her son Brian that he killed Gabby. I'll bet that she was offering to help him in some way.
I agree with you. And as Reilly stated in his interview with Brian Etin "Why aren't they releasing that letter? Why aren't they releasing the rest of the note book."

Within 30 minutes of receiving Brian's notebook Bertilino already released the part where BL admits to killing her.

BBM
Also since he was confessing to the killing of Gabby and hadn't allegedly "even told his parents"....then why does he say "I am sorry to my family, this is a shock to them as well a terrible grief.”??

He's telling everyone that he already told his parents he killed Gabby and it is a shock to them as well as a terrible grief.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member