Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: Could the cops have put in a mutual restraining order based on what happened?

I think they have to request a RO, correct? So, I don't think this would have happened because neither was willing to say they wanted a RO...

These two people made choices that led to tragedy. A piece of paper does nothing in a situation where the behavior of both parties cannot be monitored....on to the next town and the next conflict that may escalate with new LE having no context with which to evaluate circumstances.
RSBM
Only one person made a choice to murder. It wasn’t Gabby’s choice or decision to be murdered.

Restraining orders are entered into LEADS and NCIC for police to reference and provide context, even if the next offense is out of state. RO’s document a pattern of abuse which may be needed later in court. A RO violation results in jail time for the offender and provides a short amount of time for the victim to escape their own home and not be tracked when they are able.
Admittedly, enforcing a RO is completely dependent on the whims of the police in your area. And civilians have no recourse when the police fail to enforce them (see Castle Rock v. Gonzales). I agree we continue to fail victims with toothless laws.

My view is based not on statistics but on what G&B actually said to LE when interviewed separately, what both witnesses said, the injuries noted, and Rose's description of a past incident where GP slapped BL first, then he shoved her.
RSBM
Is there a source for that? I read Rose’s account of Brian stealing Gabby’s ID in order to sabotage time away from him. When Gabby discovered this and was forced to return from the failed outing, she slapped Brian.
I would consider that reactive violence since Brian stole her property and time away from her only friend.

RSBM
Only one person made a choice to murder. It wasn’t Gabby’s choice or decision to be murdered.

Restraining orders are entered into LEADS and NCIC for police to reference and provide context, even if the next offense is out of state. RO’s document a pattern of abuse which may be needed later in court. A RO violation results in jail time for the offender and provides a short amount of time for the victim to escape their own home and not be tracked when they are able.
Admittedly, enforcing a RO is completely dependent on the whims of the police in your area. And civilians have no recourse when the police fail to enforce them (see Castle Rock v. Gonzales). I agree we continue to fail victims with toothless laws.
How could mutual ROs be enforced in GP & BL's circumstance - traveling very far from home with one party unwilling to drive alone? That is the topic here. Not general use of ROs. Re: LEADS & NCIC, I don't think Moab LE ran a check during this stop. Do you? These databases not effective if LE don't use them, as you point out.

RSBM
Is there a source for that? I read Rose’s account of Brian stealing Gabby’s ID in order to sabotage time away from him. When Gabby discovered this and was forced to return from the failed outing, she slapped Brian.
I would consider that reactive violence since Brian stole her property and time away from her only friend.
Reactive violence is physical violence in response to a current act of physical violence isn't it? I disagree that GP slapping Brian as described is reactive violence. And I don't think the definition of RV supports it either.
JMO

ETA: We are getting off topic. I don't want to create a debate but accuracy is imporant.

How could mutual ROs be enforced in GP & BL's circumstance - traveling very far from home with one party unwilling to drive alone? That is the topic here. Not general use of ROs. Re: LEADS & NCIC, I don't think Moab LE ran a check during this stop. Do you? These databases not effective if LE don't use them, as you point out.
These are good questions. I admit I’m assuming police check LEADS for every traffic stop because that is what they do in my home state.

I have no experience with mutual ROs at all. Logically I would guess they are entered into the computer system the same way, but as two separate entries with two offenders (each claiming they are the sole victim)? Not sure how that works…

I don’t think police care/take consideration into HOW people are separated when they enforce a RO. The police don’t care if you have all your valuable documents, pets, pet food, your toothbrush, or even clean clothes when they force you to leave the area. Mostly they just want it to happen as fast as possible within legal means. As far as the vehicle, they would allow the legal owner listed on the pink slip to take it. Is it even called a pink slip?

It is also a common tactic by abusers to DARVO and reverse victim and offender by retaliating with any legal means available (taking their own RO against the victim).

RSBM

Rbbm. True.

RSBM

Rose reported that. Of course, we only have Rose's word that BL was trying to sabotage their plan to go to a club/bar. It could be true but it also might not be. We also have only Rose's report about the outcome as well.

I use the term "reactive violence" differently. If it's reactive violence when A slaps B because B made A mad, then it would seem most violence is reactive. Usually the person who hits first is reacting to something. To me, reactive violence involves reacting to violence, not reacting to other kinds of upsetting things. I thought that's the way it was being used in this case. Perhaps I'm mistaken.

Rose reported that. Of course, we only have Rose's word that BL was trying to sabotage their plan to go to a club/bar. It could be true but it also might not be.

I use the term "reactive violence" differently. If it's reactive violence when A slaps B because B made A mad, then it would seem most violence is reactive. Usually the person who hits first is reacting to something. To me, reactive violence involves reacting to violence, not reacting to other kinds of upsetting things. I thought that's the way it was being used in this case. Perhaps I'm mistaken.
Bbm we also only have Rose's word Gabby allegedly slapped him for allegedly taking her ID.

RSBM

I consider it "reactive violence" too, but violence is still violence. To me it indicates that violence--at least at a light level--was a part of their toxic relationship.

What we don't know--but what psychologists often point out--is whether either/both parties were exposed to domestic violence during their childhoods, which could have increased the risk of them accepting it as normal.

We're all trying to figure out why Gabby didn't leave. If she only would have left...

But, we really don't have that information. The fact that Gabby would slap Brian in front of a third party, leads me to believe that the young couple was quite used to some level of violence. Maybe it was restricted to just slaps--who knows--but JMO, I think the violence had to be there at some level prior to the road trip.

That's also a problem. We simply don't know. But, we have to at least consider it--since was an eyewitness account.
Actually based on what I've read (the link I posted above with Rose's interview) the slap and shove were not witnessed by Rose. She said Gabby told her about those after she was supposed to meet Rose at a bar but BL had hidden her ID so she couldn't go. GP told Rose she was furious and slapped BL for doing that and BL "shoved" her back. (One of the Moab eyewitnesses also said BL shoved GP but that witness wasn't sure if he wasn't trying to push her away.) Anyway Rose didn't witness the incident. I'm not sure why she'd say GP slapped BL first unless she believed that. But maybe she thought hitting is justified when someone does something "wrong" or maybe she thinks those sorts of physical interactions are a normal part of being a couple. But Rose could have made it up or maybe she just remembered an incident she'd been told about incorrectly. Or maybe GP gave her an excuse for not meeting her. Rose also talked about BL having "episodes" but based in what I've read, it appears Rose didn't witness those either. Instead Rose was reporting what GP supposedly told her.

As you say, we just don't know.
JMO

That's true. She said Gabby told her that she did that and BL "shoved" her in response. But maybe it's not true. Maybe nothing in the described incident ever happened. We just don't know.
I tend to think its more likely to be true than not. I have based my opinion on the information from Gabby herself in relation to the MOAB 'stop' and the witness from the MOAB incident.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member