Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote from the coroner on GP's date of death and what would be recorded on the death certificate when issued:

“Our initial determination is that the body was in the wilderness for three to four weeks,” Blue said. “The death certificate has not been completed at this time, and death certificates in the state of Wyoming allow for approximate dates and a variability in those dates. I doubt there will be an exact date of death on the death certificate.”

I think if the FBI had determined with any certainty the exact date of death, then the coroner would have to indicate so on the death certificate when issued.

ETA link to MSM

If there is variability recorded in the date of death on GP's death certificate, I wonder how that will come into play during the civil lawsuit in terms of how it will relate to the specificity of the date the P's are using for the date of GP's death.

What I find most troubling about the debut of this movie on October 1 is that it will be shown before the civil trial commences. I don't recall when I first read about Lifetime's plan to produce a made-for-TV movie based on the Gabby Petito case, but I'm sure it was a couple of months before the civil suit was filed. I'm sure that Lifetime is eager to air the film that will likely garner huge ratings, but it might have been prudent to wait until after the civil case has concluded. JMO
I agree. Seems a bit premature to me.

Quote from the coroner on GP's date of death and what would be recorded on the death certificate when issued:

“Our initial determination is that the body was in the wilderness for three to four weeks,” Blue said. “The death certificate has not been completed at this time, and death certificates in the state of Wyoming allow for approximate dates and a variability in those dates. I doubt there will be an exact date of death on the death certificate.”

I think if the FBI had determined with any certainty the exact date of death, then the coroner would have to indicate so on the death certificate when issued.

ETA link to MSM

JMO I don't think the coroner would have to, and the certificate was not complete at that time. The article you link also included this "The coroner’s office is only charged with determining cause and manner of death." Bbm Blue stated "The death certificate has not been completed at this time, and death certificates in the state of Wyoming allow for approximate dates and a variability in those dates. I doubt there will be an exact date of death on the death certificate.” also the coroner's comments were back in October iirc, and the FBI report was released in January.

Oh I forgot to add, the coroner also, very bizarre imo, stated in the presser that Gabby Petito was not pregnant. I don't recall that being included in the FBI report either. Jmo.

JMO I don't think the coroner would have to, and the certificate was not complete at that time. The article you link also included this "The coroner’s office is only charged with determining cause and manner of death." Bbm Blue stated "The death certificate has not been completed at this time, and death certificates in the state of Wyoming allow for approximate dates and a variability in those dates. I doubt there will be an exact date of death on the death certificate.” also the coroner's comments were back in October iirc, and the FBI report was released in January.

If an exact date of death has been determined by the FBI, then the coroner can issue an amended death certificate. This can be done for medical reasons (a medical amendment) or for non-medical reasons (a non-medical amendment). I would think that if the family was aware of a definitive date known by the FBI, then they would have requested an amended death certificate that includes a specific date, and not leave the death certificate as initially recorded with variability in dates and not a specific date.

Here is an article in MSM about Natalie Woods in California, and the coroner amended her death certificate 30 years after her death based on new information from LE as a result of an ongoing investigation into her death.

If an exact date of death has been determined by the FBI, then the coroner can issue an amended death certificate. This can be done for medical reasons (a medical amendment) or for non-medical reasons (a non-medical amendment). I would think that if the family was aware of a definitive date known by the FBI, then they would have requested an amended death certificate that includes a specific date, and not leave the death certificate as initially recorded with variability in dates and not a specific date.

Here is an article in MSM about Natalie Woods in California, and the coroner amended her death certificate 30 years after her death based on new information from LE as a result of an ongoing investigation into her death.

Amended death certificate?? Gabby''s death certificate was released to the public? Yikes, I must have missed that somehow. Please link if you have it. Thanks.

Oh Natalie :( my Mom's favorite actress, her death was so very sad.

Amended death certificate?? Gabby''s death certificate was released to the public? Yikes, I must have missed that somehow. Please link if you have it. Thanks.

Oh Natalie :( my Mom's favorite actress, her death was so very sad.

Wyoming does not release death certificates to the public (until 50 years after the death), so we have no way of knowing if an amended death certificate was recorded.

If you read the post carefully, it doesn't say that this was done, only that the coroner could amend the date of death if LE had determined an exact date and either the coroner amended the certificate or the family requested that it be amended based on the FBI's findings. I, myself, don't think the FBI has a definitive date.

Otherwise, if not amended, the date of death as determined last fall is still likely the variable dates/period that the coroner recorded at that time.

Last edited:
The coroner records the date, time and cause of death and in Wyoming, apparently the coroner can record approximate dates and a variability of those dates. So the date recorded on GP's death certificate at that time would not likely be an exact date.

The coroner records the date, time and cause of death and in Wyoming, apparently the coroner can record approximate dates and a variability of those dates. So the date recorded on GP's death certificate at that time would not likely be an exact date.
Exactly. Which is why I bolded and reposted that above, regarding the opinion thinking the coroner would have to indicate an exact date on Gabby's death certificate if the FBI had determined it, as it appears to me that is not the case.

Please see below:

"I think if the FBI had determined with any certainty the exact date of death, then the coroner would have to indicate so on the death certificate when issued."

Also I read very carefully, and was not clear why an amended death certificate was raised, when we don't know anything about Gabby's death certificate, and as you noted, Wyoming death certificates are not released to the public. I clearly am still not understanding. No worries, I was merely trying to understand the posts.

Yes, exactly. That was stated in the article that you posted, and I bolded and reposted it. My post was regarding the part of the post thinking a coroner would have to indicate, if FBI knew it, an exact date in Gabby's death certificate. Please see quote below :

"I think if the FBI had determined with any certainty the exact date of death, then the coroner would have to indicate so on the death certificate when issued."

Also I reread the posts very carefully, as I must admit to sometimes reading too quickly, and I still am really not clear on why an amended death certificate was raised, when we don't know anything about a first death certificate?

Yes, exactly. That was stated in the article that you posted, and I bolded and reposted it. My post was regarding the part of the post thinking a coroner would have to indicate, if FBI knew it, an exact date in Gabby's death certificate. Please see quote below :

Also I reread the posts very carefully, as I must admit to sometimes reading too quickly, and I still am really not clear on why an amended death certificate was raised, when we don't know anything about a first death certificate?
I think the reason the amended certificate was raised was to respond to your last statement in your post about the coroner's comments being "back in October."

So I think OP is saying if investigators found new evidence after that time, the date on the certificate could be amended?

It is very difficult for a ME to determine the time of death in a body that's been left for weeks to decompose. That's probably why they allow an 'approximate' date when it is not clear exactly when the person died. As evidence is gathered they can narrow it down.

However, the "estimated time of death" determined by a coroner can vary from the "legal" time of death on a death certificate. That could very well be the case here. But it's the legal date of death that is important in civil cases. Imo

What I find most troubling about the debut of this movie on October 1 is that it will be shown before the civil trial commences. I don't recall when I first read about Lifetime's plan to produce a made-for-TV movie based on the Gabby Petito case, but I'm sure it was a couple of months before the civil suit was filed. I'm sure that Lifetime is eager to air the film that will likely garner huge ratings, but it might have been prudent to wait until after the civil case has concluded. JMO

Obviously I don't know Gabby, but there are events in my life that I absolutely would not want to be seen as defining my memory, but they would make for good tv. This would be one such event.

I hope at least they focus on the importance of recognizing red flags and ending relationships as soon as violence appears, rather than any morbid details, or inventing parts to increase the dramatic effect.

This recent article was picked up by the Daily Mail but the original source is the Sun. I confirmed with the mod that they are an approved MSM source.

New witness who saw 'Brian Laundrie hit Gabby Petito' shares shock details

“Now, The U.S. Sun has tracked down an independent witness to the original fight through a third party in Moab, who claims in an exclusive interview he saw the incident first-hand while driving past in his work pick-up truck.

He insists Brian was the aggressor and hit Gabby in the head before she stumbled back against their van, and he shouted over to try and spook the 23-year-old before other locals intervened and called 911.”

This recent article was picked up by the Daily Mail but the original source is the Sun. I confirmed with the mod that they are an approved MSM source.

New witness who saw 'Brian Laundrie hit Gabby Petito' shares shock details

“Now, The U.S. Sun has tracked down an independent witness to the original fight through a third party in Moab, who claims in an exclusive interview he saw the incident first-hand while driving past in his work pick-up truck.

He insists Brian was the aggressor and hit Gabby in the head before she stumbled back against their van, and he shouted over to try and spook the 23-year-old before other locals intervened and called 911.”
Good samaritan!
But the domestic violence just pi$$es off!!

Here's a local August article which originally appeared on Gabby's recent birthday.
Please forgive if it's a repeat:

'We Cry Every Day': Gabby Petito's Dad On Anniversary Of Death​

The 22-year-old Van Life vlogger was strangled to death by her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, one year ago Saturday.​

BLUE POINT, NY — Heartbreaking tributes were posted to social media Saturday as the loved ones of Gabby Petito remembered her on the anniversary of her slaying at the hands of her fiancé, Brian Laundrie, with whom she was in an abusive relationship.
In a vulnerable post on Twitter, her father, Joseph Petito, made note of her death, writing, "Exactly one year ago today you were taken from us."
"We miss you every day," he wrote, adding, "We cry every day."
[...]
In the wake of Petito's death, her parents and family friends started The Gabby Petito Foundation to help other victims of domestic violence. The organization has since raised thousands of dollars for its cause, as well as helped open a domestic violence shelter for women in Florida.
In another tweet on Friday, Schmidt noted that Petito was "taken too soon at the hands of the person she loved."
"This happens too often around the world. By honoring these victims, we can also show our support," she said.
-----------------------------------
Source:

Oh I forgot to add, the coroner also, very bizarre imo, stated in the presser that Gabby Petito was not pregnant. I don't recall that being included in the FBI report either. Jmo.
Maybe because sometimes that's the motive for killing, like in the Dateline episode I watched last night, and ironically the victim turned out not to be pregnant, but the killer believed that she was and that it would ruin his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member