Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is that this lawsuit is baseless. Even her mom originally said she thought the police did everything right. Imagine if Gabby had been arrested, if she did tell her parents, they would be furious with the police for arresting their daughter. I think the police saw them as young travelers and did the best they could with the situation. I don't think anyone involved in the situation knew this would turn into the biggest case in the USA. No one had anything bad to say about the couple until they both were dead.

The City of Moab has a budget of $15,000,000 a year. https://moabcity.org/DocumentCenter/View/3558/FY23-Tentative-Budget---Spreadsheet

Their most recent budget has a surplus of $50,000. They don't have $50 Million to give the Petitos. They have no choice but to aggressively defend the suit. In the end, they may be forced to settle for their insurance payout maximum. The plaintiffs lawyers will try to use the incredibly large amount requested to scare the city into a settlement.

“The purpose of this lawsuit is to honor Gabby’s legacy by demanding accountability and working toward systemic changes to protect victims of domestic abuse and violence and prevent such tragedies in the future,” attorney James W. McConkie said in a statement.

The lawsuit accuses the department and its officers of failing to follow the law and failing to protect Petito during an investigation into a domestic disturbance in August — just weeks before Brian Laundrie killed her. The lawsuit states that officers improperly determined Petito was the primary aggressor in the interaction and misapplied Utah’s laws related to domestic abuse. It also accuses the police department of failing to properly train its officers in these issues.

I have very conflicted feelings about their lawsuit.

“The purpose of this lawsuit is to honor Gabby’s legacy by demanding accountability and working toward systemic changes to protect victims of domestic abuse and violence and prevent such tragedies in the future,” attorney James W. McConkie said in a statement.

The lawsuit accuses the department and its officers of failing to follow the law and failing to protect Petito during an investigation into a domestic disturbance in August — just weeks before Brian Laundrie killed her. The lawsuit states that officers improperly determined Petito was the primary aggressor in the interaction and misapplied Utah’s laws related to domestic abuse. It also accuses the police department of failing to properly train its officers in these issues.

I can't see how the Police Department is responsible for Gabby's death when there are two weeks between incidents and also the footage of them walking around the store like an average couple before the murder.

Snipped for focus

You're not going to be alone in this.
I'm wondering where they even found these lawyers?

I like the first question the reporter asked, "the supreme court has a high threshold for law enforcement lawsuits. Are you laying out the case why you believe and can overcome that because the supreme court has been very adamant."

Around 21:15 mark

Whole Foods, which is an expensive food store, has been known (at least in the past) for putting out free samples for people to try different foods they are trying to sell. Perhaps Gabby and Brian were looking for some freebies there. I think Whole Foods stopped some time ago, but Gabby and Brian may not have realized it.
I have seen it here in AZ, I wouldn't feel comfortable I would think people thought I was stealing lol, but I do see it here, and it still seems odd when I see it.

Oh Mylanta...

The woman also alleged to Salina Mayor Deaton that Pratt was harassing her online... Deaton told The Tribune that he asked the woman if Pratt was on duty when he was messaging her on Facebook, if he was in uniform or using a police vehicle. He said the woman answered “no” to the three questions. Deaton said because of that, he felt it was more of a personal issue and not something that warranted his intervention. Deaton had appointed Pratt as police chief of Salina in 2014 when he also took office.“He was the most suitable among the officers we had at the time,” Deaton said.
~from Salt Lake Tribune

Most departments avoid dealing with allegations of police-perpetrated domestic violence by determining that the officer's behavior in his private life is none of the department's concern unless it interferes with his job performance. This reveals a department's willingness to ignore that domestic violence and sexual assault are criminal acts. This stance also ignores law enforcement's Code of Ethics which states that officers are sworn to uphold the law in both their personal and professional lives. It's reasonable to believe that an officer's use of violence against women in his private life influences his on-duty attitudes and response to violent crimes against women, which can make him unfit to police the public.
~from Diane Wetendorf, advocate and author specializing in police-perpetrated domestic violence

edited to add:
What to realistically expect when your abuser is a police officer, if anyone needs this info

Last edited:
Digesting this lawsuit and not really sure how I feel about it. In hindsight there are many times we would all do something differently but it doesn't change the outcome of what did happen. If through discovery Moab Police Department is found to be responsible then I may feel differently. Had they arrested Gabby I do believe the Petito's would have been furious with LE and if this had happened days not weeks before her murder I can see there possibly being some relevance. Just sad all the way around. JMO

In a statement, family attorney James McConkie said: “The purpose of the lawsuit is to honour Gabby’s legacy by demanding accountability and working toward systemic changes to protect victims of domestic abuse and violence and prevent such tragedies in the future.”
How does draining $50 million dollars from the Moab City Police accomplish these changes?

The City of Moab has a budget of $15,000,000 a year. https://moabcity.org/DocumentCenter/View/3558/FY23-Tentative-Budget---Spreadsheet

Their most recent budget has a surplus of $50,000. They don't have $50 Million to give the Petitos. They have no choice but to aggressively defend the suit. In the end, they may be forced to settle for their insurance payout maximum. The plaintiffs lawyers will try to use the incredibly large amount requested to scare the city into a settlement.
RBBM
I agree. Some sort of settlement is likely to be made. I believe the lawsuit is meant to focus attention on awareness & change across the country.

I have been very disturbed by every action and inaction that led to GP's death. The parents and foundation should focus more on DV awareness amonG teens & young adults IMO. It is often too late for intervention that works once a potential injurious or deadly dynamic is firmly in place.

Suing MOAB is fine but will not effect change where it is needed most: PREVENTION.

MOO

I can't see how the Police Department is responsible for Gabby's death when there are two weeks between incidents and also the footage of them walking around the store like an average couple before the murder.
Plus. Say one had been arrested... the other likely waiting for them after 24 hours or so.

Here in NC domestic stuff the man has automatic 48 hours in jail. I guess but not sure the same for women. Maybe not that long there but they were not fighting enough IMO for arrest. Now if one was claiming the other was smacking them that is another thing.

typically, you should budget $2million to defend a civil case. If my company was being sued for that amount, I would defend it. Depending on their insurance requirements and any legal opinion that the insurers have, may well be out of their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces