Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked in a grocery store for a brief period after plastic bags were phased out and it's really not that uncommon for people who are picking up a few items to put them into their tote or reusable shopping bag, rather than use a cart of basket to shop.

Locally, it seemed to become more prevalent during the height of the pandemic when people were concerned about transmission and is something quite common now.

Last edited:
Where is the nexus between Pratt's affair & the Petito case? "Had romantic rival arrested"? Fox is really reaching!

No DV was proven in Pratt's case & even if it had been, he was not accused of DV but of having an affair with a woman who claimed she was unsure if her partner/husband hurt her or she hurt herself.

Also, dismissing the DV in that case appears to be related to the guy passing a polygraph. I find that ridiculous & hope more was done to protect the woman who I think was assaulted based on her injuries & the overheard conversation.

My apologies if I am misreading this but I don't see a nexus at all.

Also, I've never heard that dispatch personnel were reprimanded for not giving the officers on scene the full picture from the call received from the person who observed BL slapping & hitting GP. The entire handling of the stop would have been different (and possibly better) if all observations had been communicated to the officers properly.

I hope Moab has worked to remedy that very serious oversight in this case & likely problem in more cases. It could have potentially saved Gabby's life. And I don't think I'm reaching when I say that.

An arrest of Brian would have reframed a lot of things for GP & both families before BL had a chance to commit murder.

JMO

Oct 28, 2022 / 12:56 PM EDT

SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — An attorney for Chris and Roberta Laundrie, the parents of Brian Laundrie, have filed a motion to limit the scope of their depositions in a lawsuit filed by the parents of Gabby Petito.

The new court documents obtained by WFLA.com on Thursday show the Laundries are seeking to avoid having to disclose “irrelevant matters” in order to protect them from “annoyance, embarrassment, oppression, undue burden and expense.”

“This has been a truly heartbreaking experience for both families,” the motion reads. “The public who followed the case and the Plaintiffs are likely curious about Brian Laundrie’s life, his last days, his interaction with his parents, and the thoughts and feelings experienced by his parents. But curiosity is not a reason to require the Defendants to discuss such personal and heart wrenching details. Rather, the discovery must be relevant to the cause of action at issue.”

Not sure what this has to do with the Gabby Petito case, but I may have missed it, I just scanned the article.
Agreed. It was a far reach from Fox news to tie this into GP's case. I found this buried pretty close to the bottom of the article:

Pratt was found to have made "unintentional" mistakes along with fellow Moab Officer Daniel Robbins in the Aug. 12, 2021 traffic stop involving Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie roughly two weeks before the Florida man killed his travel-blogging former fiancee.

Pretty much a big nothing-burger to me.

Source: Utah Gabby Petito cop had romantic rival arrested in 2019 domestic incident that was later dismissed

Not sure what this has to do with the Gabby Petito case, but I may have missed it, I just scanned the article.
I think the article points out some interesting facts about Officer Pratt. For example, Pratt was previously able to identify a domestic dispute by using context clues "[She] was crying and very emotional, which was in stark contrast to the male voice, which was overtly measured," Pratt told investigators.

Yet Pratt was not able to do this for Gabby. Why?

(Also, Pratt thinks a police ride-along is a good idea for a date :rolleyes:)

I think the article points out some interesting facts about Officer Pratt. For example, Pratt was previously able to identify a domestic dispute by using context clues "[She] was crying and very emotional, which was in stark contrast to the male voice, which was overtly measured," Pratt told investigators.

Yet Pratt was not able to do this for Gabby. Why?

(Also, Pratt thinks a police ride-along is a good idea for a date :rolleyes:)
I think the main problem was Gabby said early on that she hit BL first. I think that then caused both officers to twist thing around in their minds to avoid arresting Gabby. (And while crying vs using a more measured voice may be relevant, that's likely to lead to faulty conclusions sometimes too.)

It seemed to me GP volunteered to the officers all kinds of reasons she was upset aside from DV. One reason was BL's perceived lack of support for her van life blogging. She also said he'd had dirty feet in the van earlier and she was bothered because she had OCD. (Her claim, not mine.) Those things don't really relate to DV. They might suggest a bad relationship or might just suggest van life isn't all some claim it is.

Of course, the outcome was tragic. But I can see why the officers thought it was a minor mental health issue (minor in the sense that involuntary commitment wasn't on the table) and/or a traveler's spat or both. Even GP's mother first said it was just a meaningless fight prompted by traveling so long in a small van.
JMO

Replying to @NCWatcher re: GP said she hit BL first

OTOH, officers trained in spotting DV would have handled several aspects better as has been documented in this thread previously.

I still think the main problem in LE not identifying the aggressor (BL) was the dispatcher failure to relay that info. GP blames herself when talking to LE, which is common in DV victims.

While this critical incident has been analyzed by LE itself and very well by our fellow sleuthers, we all still have our individual interpretations of what is known.

It is important to keep in mind there are things we don't know & the full picture is hard to draw because for example, her mother's statement you quoted is based on not having a clear understanding - at that time - of GP being seen being physically attacked that day.

The family's lawsuit against Moab LE tells me more about her mother's understanding of the incident than a contemporaneous statement lacking all the facts.

Last edited:

OTOH, officers trained in spotting DV would have handled several aspects better as has been documented in this thread previously.

I still think the main problem in LE not identifying the aggressor (BL) was the dispatcher failure to relay that info. GP blames herself when talking to LE, which is common in DV victims.

While this critical incident has been analyzed by LE itself and very well by our fellow sleuthers, we all still have our individual interpretations of what is known.

It is important to keep in mind there are things we don't know & the full picture is hard to draw because for example, her mother's statement you quoted is based on not having a clear understanding - at that time - of GP being seen being physically attacked that day.

The family's lawsuit against Moab LE tells me more about her mother's understanding of the incident than a contemporaneous statement lacking all the facts.

I don't think it's an issue of interpretation as much as some have taken her words literally and others have listened to her words, inflection, injuries and body language.

I'm not convinced it would have changed history but even without the dispacth information, I feel there was enough expressed problems between the two of them to have taken them both in and questioned apart from each other, not just speparated by a few feet of pavement.

I heard Moab PD has hired a DV trainer and I commend them for that.
Has anyone heard of Laura Richards? She worked for New Scotland Yard and is an expert in the DV field. Her podcast has 20 different episodes discussing the bodycam video and the following the Moab City Police Investigative Review.
She is incredibly clear in breaking down each and every instance the police had an opportunity to investigate Brian further.
I really recommend listening, or even reading her website. She is introducing new standards of how DV is investigated. I can't express how incredibly thorough she is with her documentation and has the expertise and experience to highlight how all police departments can do better.

D.A.S.H. Risk Checklist

Oh most definitely the officers' decision was affected by not having all the information. The report said that & of course I agree. I was simply responding to @housewife's post that wondered why Pratt didn't think there was DV because GP was crying and BL was calm. And I think --without the other information-- and with GP immediately saying she hit first, both officers starting mulling over how not to arrest her. I think that's when the main mistake was made by officers on the scene. I think that slanted their perception going forward. And when GP talked about other things that were upsetting her like dirty feet, lack of support for her vlogging efforts, and OCD, it was easy for them to find an "out" from arresting her.

In evaluating a situation, I don't think the crying person can always be assumed to be the victim or that being calm must make someone guilty of a crime. So I don't really agree with that discussion in the posted article and what Pratt said. But that does suggest--to me-- a fairly superficial focus. And that's not good.

So far as GP's mom's reaction goes, her contemporaneous view is worth remembering because a contemporaneous view is all the officers had. Of course, given the way things turned out two weeks after the traffic stop, there's a tendency to see the incident differently than it might have appeared at the time.
JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads