Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think her take on the murder would be similar to the other LE officers who were present at the Moab incident. Not sure how and why it would be any different.
Female victims can feel more comfortable disclosing abuse to another woman.

We won’t know if Gabby gave more or less information to the female officer regarding the abuse unless they release her bodycam footage, too.

Female victims can feel more comfortable disclosing abuse to another woman.

We won’t know if Gabby gave more or less information to the female officer regarding the abuse unless they release her bodycam footage, too.
I don't think Gabby would have told the Ranger anything she thought would result in being separated from Brian. She wanted to stay with him, despite what had just happened.

I feel the same way about her communication with her parents. I don't think she wanted them to pick her up and bring her home. She wanted to continue on the trip, unfortunately. I don't think she ever knew her life was in danger until just before she was murdered. There's nothing on that video of the two of them walking around that indicates she is afraid of him.

Pratt relied on GP's statements of fault, apparently not realizing that DV victims (she had injuries, too) often blame themselves - poor analysis.

But the behind the scenes catalyst for the officer's misreading of the dynamic between these young lovers was LACK OF INFORMATION critical to an appropriate response.

I believe if the observations given by the 911 caller who witnessed GP being slapped by BL on a public street had been communicated to these officers, the decisions made by the officers would have been different.

I could be wrong but I really do think this was the main failure. You can remove the responding officers from any LE duty permanently but what about the failure of dispatch? That won't address their failure. Their critical role has been ignored & to me that is a major error.

Who are the operators who ignored the clear evidence of DV by not communicating it to the responders completely & clearly & why did that happen?

I guess I will ask that question a million times and never get an answer.
Naw. LE rarely relies solely on statements from possible perps and victims about fault.

He heard the report that she'd been assaulted. He neglected to take seriously some very serious signs of abuse. Why did they photograph BL and not GP?

Given his history, this is not surprising. JMO.

Naw. LE rarely relies solely on statements from possible perps and victims about fault.

He heard the report that she'd been assaulted. He neglected to take seriously some very serious signs of abuse. Why did they photograph BL and not GP?

Given his history, this is not surprising. JMO.

You are correct and if officers took everyone they investigated at their word, without looking at other evidence, there would be very few arrests.

A significant part of their job is to ask questions and read verbal and non verbal clues.

I agree. It sounds like, MOO, they knew Gabby was being abused yet they decided not to intervene to keep their daughter safe but instead to rely on the police in a small Utah town.

I disagree and believe it is the statement comes from someone who believes that police keep our communities safe and prevent bad things from happening.

Gabby's parents have said on mulitiple occasions that they had no idea of any domestic violence and if their daughter was prepared to lie to LE, I would strongly suggest that she hadn't disclosed any concerns to her parents.

Gabby was legally an adult and I don't believe that anything her parents would have said at that time would have convinced her to give up her dream because I don't think Gabby felt she was in danger.

I don't know why the dispatch issue hasn't been looked at. But if the county runs the 911 system (that's quite common) the City of Moab can't force an investigation of a county system.

I don't believe I said the dispatcher should necessarily decide if caller is information is true (although prank callers hopefully will be detected.) How could a dispatcher know if the caller is telling the truth? But if there have been multiple calls (like a bank robbery in a busy area might elicit) passing along to responders every detail some caller has reported could easily interfere with timely pursuit and apprehension of the robber. In this case that wasn't an issue and I thought the info should have been passed along. Not as ultimate truth because it might not have been true. (One report sounded like a caller backtracked a bit too.) But to be clear I wasn't saying any 911 caller lied. Still, it cannot ever be assumed what an eyewitness says he/she saw is what really happened either.

There's been tons of research on eyewitness testimony and while juries like it, that kind of testimony is often flawed. Studies suggest that over half of wrongful convictions are a result of flawed eyewitness testimony. Not intentional lies but honest mistakes. The percentage is even higher for some types of crimes. And how questions are posed can play a big role in what people remember. So how dispatchers ask questions of callers matters.

I don't think we really know what the female park ranger said to GP. So far as I know, we haven't seen video from her body cam. We only know what she reported to the media she said after it was known GP was dead. If the Moab lawsuit goes to trial maybe we'll see her testify under oath or see her video. She may have called it right but I don't think we can know that yet.
JMO

I worked as an emergency dispatcher for a very short time and it's a complicated system made more complicated by the humans that use it.

I quit because of the stress of possibly missing something critical that was understated and there is always the fear of reprimand for tying up valuable manpower by overstating the level emergency.

I don't believe the 911 operator gets a free pass because information needs to relayed, at the very least for officer protection but I am saying that sometimes departments push back at operators over the definition of an emergency.

I worked as an emergency dispatcher for a very short time and it's a complicated system made more complicated by the humans that use it.

I quit because of the stress of possibly missing something critical that was understated and there is always the fear of reprimand for tying up valuable manpower by overstating the level emergency.

I don't believe the 911 operator gets a free pass because information needs to relayed, at the very least for officer protection but I am saying that sometimes departments push back at operators over the definition of an emergency.
Good points. One of my relatives worked in a similar position and it was very stressful for her. Even with standard operating procedures in place there were still judgments to be made. Not every situation can be anticipated so a "rule" can't be developed in advance for all situations.

It's not clear to me exactly what was relayed to the officers during the call. The after-action investigative report that looked at what the officers did state the officers had access to the dispatcher's notes from the 911 call. The report also says (bold added by me):

"Dispatch uses the emergency tone and alerts all law enforcement working in the area of the call they just received. Dispatch states they had a report of a male hitting a female and the van left northbound from the moonflower community co-op." So general info WAS passed along to all Moab officers in the area, a fact I'd forgotten. And the dispatcher treated it as an emergency.

Per the investigative report there also seemed to be some nuances re: terminology with the officers (in terms of what is an assault without hitting vs an assault with hitting)

While we can never know for sure, IMO arresting Gabby, Brian, or both wouldn't have mattered. She wasn't killed for at least 2 weeks after the incident and she had 5 days in a SLC hotel without Brian while he was in FL. We've also been told she was in close communication with at least one parent during those 5 days. But for the next fighting couple I guess it might make a difference. To be honest though, I am not sure Utah's particular law is a good one (re: requiring somebody to be arrested.) Of course, LE would need to have proper training to follow whatever the state's law is. But expecting a decision of who is guilty on the spot for arrest... And the decision won't result in the person being held in jail so battling couples can get back together pretty quickly anyway. (We don't know for sure that GP & BL spent that "mental health break" night apart. My guess is they didn't.)

The main value of a law like Utah's IMO is it creates a framework so first, second & third offenses can be documented. If there is an earlier offense (or two) even if they were relatively minor, punitive legal action may be forthcoming once they are known.
JMO

Last edited:
"In 2021," the clue during the Nov. 13 episode read, "Fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in Fla.'s Myakkahatchee Creek area, home to these long & toothy critters." The answer? "What are alligators."

The clue quickly got heat online, with fans calling the hint "disrespectful" and "insensitive" for mentioning the case at all.

"In 2021," the clue during the Nov. 13 episode read, "Fugitive Brian Laundrie ended his days in Fla.'s Myakkahatchee Creek area, home to these long & toothy critters." The answer? "What are alligators."

The clue quickly got heat online, with fans calling the hint "disrespectful" and "insensitive" for mentioning the case at all.

I feel it was tone deaf and disrespectful to both families. I'm quite certain that Gabby's family would like her remembered for something other than her ugly death and the person that caused it.

1/2 A final judgement for $3,000,000 has been reached in the lawsuit filed by Gabby Petito’s parents against Brian Laundrie’s estate, according to the family’s attorney.

2/2 Brian Laundrie did not have 3 million - it’s an arbitrary number - but whatever money is received will go to the Gabby Petito foundation, the family says. The trial which had been scheduled for December, 2022 will not be held.

1/2 A final judgement for $3,000,000 has been reached in the lawsuit filed by Gabby Petito’s parents against Brian Laundrie’s estate, according to the family’s attorney.

2/2 Brian Laundrie did not have 3 million - it’s an arbitrary number - but whatever money is received will go to the Gabby Petito foundation, the family says. The trial which had been scheduled for December, 2022 will not be held.

Brian Entin replied that "correct" to a comment that there is still a lawsuit against the Laundries. I can't remember exactly everything that they were going after

I'm confused about the $3 million, I thought it was $100,000?
I believe the original suit just stated that the amount was over $100,000. The $3,000,000 result will look good on the lawyer's resume, but that is it. The last I saw, BL's estate was about $20,000. After paying trustees and other expenses it is likely lower now.

The details are vague, but I suspect this was a default judgment since BL's estate didn't have enough resources to defend itself.

A Florida judge awarded Gabby Petito’s family $3 million after they filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the parents of Brian Laundrie, who they believe killed the 22-year-old last year.

A settlement was announced Thursday, months after Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt filed a civil suit in Sarasota County, where Christopher and Roberta Laundrie live. The suit alleges that the Laundries hindered the search for Petito and knew that she "had been murdered by their son," who later died by suicide.

"The Petito family lost their daughter, and they were also denied the opportunity to confront her killer. No amount of money is sufficient to compensate the Petito family for the loss of their daughter, Gabby, at the hands of Brian Laundrie," said Patrick Reilly, an attorney for Petito's family...

A Florida judge awarded Gabby Petito’s family $3 million after they filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the parents of Brian Laundrie, who they believe killed the 22-year-old last year.

A settlement was announced Thursday, months after Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt filed a civil suit in Sarasota County, where Christopher and Roberta Laundrie live. The suit alleges that the Laundries hindered the search for Petito and knew that she "had been murdered by their son," who later died by suicide.

"The Petito family lost their daughter, and they were also denied the opportunity to confront her killer. No amount of money is sufficient to compensate the Petito family for the loss of their daughter, Gabby, at the hands of Brian Laundrie," said Patrick Reilly, an attorney for Petito's family...

I hope they are also suing his parents for the severe emotional distress his parents caused her family, and their criminal coverup of his actions and whereabouts.

That article makes no sense. Apparently the author became confused about the three different lawsuits the Petito family has filed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper