Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this:

Gabby Petito's Family Awarded $3M In Wrongful Death Lawsuit​

"No amount of money" is sufficient compensation "for the loss of their daughter, Gabby, at the hands of Brian Laundrie," attorney says.​

Peggy Spellman Hoey, Patch Staff​

Posted Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 11:27 am ET|Updated Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 2:32 pm ET

SARASOTA, FL — The family of Gabby Petito has settled for $3 million in the wrongful death lawsuit against the estate of her confessed killer fiancé, Brian Laundrie.
A final judgment of stipulation has been entered favoring Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt, as the administrator, and as a result the case will not go to trial next month, attorney Patrick Reilly said in a statement to Patch on Thursday.

Much more here:

Just saw this:

"No amount of money" is sufficient compensation "for the loss of their daughter, Gabby, at the hands of Brian Laundrie," attorney says.​

SARASOTA, FL — The family of Gabby Petito has settled for $3 million in the wrongful death lawsuit against the estate of her confessed killer fiancé, Brian Laundrie.
A final judgment of stipulation has been entered favoring Petito's mother, Nichole Schmidt, as the administrator, and as a result the case will not go to trial next month, attorney Patrick Reilly said in a statement to Patch on Thursday.

Much more here:
I'm guessing he didn't have $3 million.

I hope they are also suing his parents for the severe emotional distress his parents caused her family, and their criminal coverup of his actions and whereabouts.

I wasn't aware that there was a criminal coverup of BL's actions and whereabouts by his parents. Are the Petito's alleging that this is the case?

That article makes no sense. Apparently the author became confused about the three different lawsuits the Petito family has filed.
You are correct. It really was bad reporting. It doesn't seem that hard to understand there are different lawsuits going on and this award applied to only one, the one against Brian's estate, a suit that settled vs going to trial. But, of course, many people here have watched it all unfold so it ought to be fairly easy to understand there are different court actions. But at one point, that article seems to imply the P's think BL's parents actually killed Gabby. And an article that muddled gave credit to not one, but two reporters! Mainstream media. Right.

Just saw this:

Much more here:
From the article:

He left his confession in his notebook, claiming he strangled her out of mercy after she fell into a ravine.

So then... why was her body not found in a ravine? He drug her out and left her where she was found? One of the definitions of a ravine is that they are steep-sided. How did he manage to drag her out if that's the case? Due to all that I call MAJOR BS on the 'why' of his confession. There was no ravine, she didn't fall down anywhere unless she was shoved by him, and he didn't carry her to the place she was found.

But it does raise a question for me... if he was at the swamp with notebook and gun... and knew he was going to write a confession and then kill himself... why lie about how it went down? That makes no sense to me. But I don't think like a criminal or murderer so that's likely why it's so hard for me to comprehend their thoughts and actions.

This is all so very sad. smh

ETA the article link from the Quoted post: Gabby Petito's Family Awarded $3 Million In Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Laundries

ETA that the above is all MOO (except BL's quote in italics from the article).

Last edited:
From the article:

He left his confession in his notebook, claiming he strangled her out of mercy after she fell into a ravine.

So then... why was her body not found in a ravine? He drug her out and left her where she was found? One of the definitions of a ravine is that they are steep-sided. How did he manage to drag her out if that's the case? Due to all that I call MAJOR BS on the 'why' of his confession. There was no ravine, she didn't fall down anywhere unless she was shoved by him, and he didn't carry her to the place she was found.

But it does raise a question for me... if he was at the swamp with notebook and gun... and knew he was going to write a confession and then kill himself... why lie about how it went down? That makes no sense to me. But I don't think like a criminal or murderer so that's likely why it's so hard for me to comprehend their thoughts and actions.

It is very sad. All around.

I don't think I've heard the ravine story before. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought what we read when SB released the confession was they were hurrying back to camp along the creek as it was almost dark. B claimed to have heard a splash and GP crying out. I don't recall there ever being a "ravine" mentioned. We were told there were story variants in the notebook but we were never told how the stories differed. Maybe the ravine story is an unpublished variant? But how did that reporter know about it?

It does seem odd to leave a confession that's falsified in any way. "Deathbed confessions" are often assumed to be truthful, I think. I don't know though that all murderers think alike. Intimate partner violence, murder for hire, murder for financial gain, murder for revenge, murder for jealousy, and so on likely don't lead to similar thought patterns by the murderers.

From the article:

ETA the article link from the Quoted post: Gabby Petito's Family Awarded $3 Million In Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Laundries
Because…
He wanted to be a victim also IMO.
SMH that he twisted the story so she asked for her own death?
She died of blunt-force injuries to the head and neck (along with manual strangulation)
He left the head & neck blows out of his story!

MOO

Because…
He wanted to be a victim also IMO.
SMH that he twisted the story so she asked for her own death?
She died of blunt-force injuries to the head and neck (along with manual strangulation)
He left the head & neck blows out of his story!

MOO
Once a jerk, always a jerk -- at least as it applies to what's-his-name.
Grrrrr.

How many lawsuits are going on? I thought there were two, one against the Laundries for $100g and one against the police for $50 million. I hadn't heard of this one, was there a trial?

How many lawsuits are going on? I thought there were two, one against the Laundries for $100g and one against the police for $50 million. I hadn't heard of this one, was there a trial?
No trial because it settled for the contents of the estate-- initially reported to be around $20K. Assuming that number was correct (& there's no reason to think BL had any assets at 23 years old), the amount would be less than $20K now. Costs like court fees to open the estate, death notices to creditors, and payment to the outside administrator appointed by the court would come out first. There was no reason to think the estate would have been defended and it wasn't. SB said early on it wouldn't be and it wasn't.

I'm not sure if a finding of wrongful death against BL's estate will affect the wrongful death suit against Moab. That suit and the suit against the parents are the only remaining suits right now.

No trial because it settled for the contents of the estate-- initially reported to be around $20K. Assuming that number was correct (& there's no reason to think BL had any assets at 23 years old), the amount would be less than $20K now. Costs like court fees to open the estate, death notices to creditors, and payment to the outside administrator appointed by the court would come out first. There was no reason to think the estate would have been defended and it wasn't. SB said early on it wouldn't be and it wasn't.

I'm not sure if a finding of wrongful death against BL's estate will affect the wrongful death suit against Moab. That suit and the suit against the parents are the only remaining suits right now.
This lawsuit should have no effect on the suit against Moab. As far as we know, there were no depositions or findings of fact. Although it is widely reported that there was a settlement, more likely than not the estate chose not to defend itself and there was a summary judgment.

The events in the Moab lawsuit happened well before the events alleged in this suit.

Also, the events alleged in the suit against the parents occurred after the events alleged in this case.

Although we have seen the "confession" released by the Laundrie's attorney, there are reports that there were other versions in the notebook. I wonder if those suspected alternate versions will come up in the Moab case.

This lawsuit should have no effect on the suit against Moab. As far as we know, there were no depositions or findings of fact. Although it is widely reported that there was a settlement, more likely than not the estate chose not to defend itself and there was a summary judgment.

The events in the Moab lawsuit happened well before the events alleged in this suit.

Also, the events alleged in the suit against the parents occurred after the events alleged in this case.

Although we have seen the "confession" released by the Laundrie's attorney, there are reports that there were other versions in the notebook. I wonder if those suspected alternate versions will come up in the Moab case.
Oh I think that the City of Moab would certainly make this settlement an issue in its defense.

Thanks! I didn't think the L's actions, whatever they turn out to be (or rather their inactions) would matter for wrongful death. No one has seriously claimed their behavior killed GP. And the things listed in the lawsuit the P's think the L's did wrong (go on vacation to Ft. DeSoto etc) all happened after GP is now assumed to have been dead. And I realize the Moab events happened weeks before her death. That alone would seem to weaken the case.

But I would also think the City of Moab would be interested in showing someone, BL, has been judged in a court case to have wrongfully caused GP's death. So if he is legally assumed to have caused the death and there is a judgment against his estate, how could the City of Moab also be legally responsible for causing her wrongful death? (One of the causes of action in the suit) And BL is someone the P's knew and spent weeks with in June. They had no qualms about GP traveling with him. If they didn't recognize the danger, how were two officers unfamiliar with the couple supposed to know that weeks later he would kill her?
JMO

Oh I think that the City of Moab would certainly make this settlement an issue in its defense.
Thanks! I guess too from a sort of philosophical perspective I'd like to know if there is ever a limit on the number of people who could cause a wrongful death. Not a Murder on the Orient Express kind of conspiracy and death but a death where one person committed the murder but others are still culpable. If BL or GP had been arrested in Moab but not held (as the officer seemed to suggest was the usual routine) would there still be a lawsuit since they could have gotten back together quickly?
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member