Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When asked who he thinks will prevail in the trial, he deferred to Gilbert.

“I wish the Laundries all the best and have always believed in their case, but I’ll leave that for Mr. Gilbert to answer after he has had a chance to complete discovery,” Luka said.

"The Laundries are good people, and it was my pleasure to work with them,” Luka said in a statement. “Ryan Gilbert will do a terrific job for them, so I know they are in good hands.”

It has to be difficult to change attorneys so close to the trial date. Nonetheless these things happen and can't be helped.

That was an odd statement.

Seened to me to be very professional, deferring to the new attorney who is representing the case is what a consummate professional would say, IMO.
He shouldn't be speaking about the case at all, now that he is no longer representing them.

I think he handled it well, within the confines of what an attorney in this situation should say as the transition takes place. It wouldn''t be appropriate for him to comment on the case in any way at this juncture.

"The Laundries are good people, and it was my pleasure to work with them,” Luka said in a statement. “Ryan Gilbert will do a terrific job for them, so I know they are in good hands.”

I haven't been following the trial preparation closely, so I am just now reading the transcript of the "Burn After Reading" letter from Roberta Laundrie (mother) to Brian Laundrie (son).

I found the tone of the letter so odd. To me, it reads almost more like a letter to a lover upon separation rather than to a biological son (not implying anything, that is just my interpretation of the letter's tone). But I am not a mother.

Here is a transcript of the "Burn After Reading letter":

“I just want you to remember I will always love you, and I know you will always love me. You are my boy. Nothing can make me stop loving you, nothing will or could ever divide us no matter what we do, or where we go or what we say – we will always love each other. If you’re in jail, I will bake a cake with a file in it. If you need to dispose of a body, I will show up with a shovel and garbage bags. If you fly to the moon, I will be watching the skies for your re-entry. If you say you hate my guts, I’ll get new guts.”

“Remember that love is a verb, not a noun. It’s not a thing, it’s not words, it is actions. Watch people’s actions to know if they love you – not their words. ‘Therefore I am certain that neither death nor life, nor angels nor the ruling spirits, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers from above nor powers from below, nothing in the entire create world can separate our love.’ Neither hostile powers nor messengers of heaven nor monarchs of earth. Nothing has the power to separate us…’ – Romans 8:38 (extended version!).”

“(Nothing can separate us: not hatred, not hunger, not homelessness, not threats, not even sin, not the thinkable or unthinkable can get between us.) ~ Not time. Not miles and miles and miles.

I wonder why she wrote "burn after reading" on the envelope?

~”The letter was encased in an envelope titled, “Brian Christopher Laundrie (burn after reading).”

Moo..I think it is a beautiful letter to her son, who she loved unconditionally (same as I feel with my son)...burn after reading...I take to be just a joke.
the body/shovel language is a bit unfortunate considering.....

has anyone written a good book about how parents deal with offspring who commit heinous acts? Do they find reasons to absolve them or do they disown them? I think the underlying thought might be: you were a cute little boy; if only you had not tried to separate and be a grown up, all this would not have happened. IMO.

From the article...
Matthew Luka took a new job at another law firm, which required him to hand the case over to someone else, he said. He will be replaced by Ryan Gilbert.

Is this true? I was always under the impression that the client got to choose if they wanted to stay with the firm or go with the departing attorney.

But I may have picked that up from LA Law or Boston Legal or one of those shows. So perhaps not the most reliable source of information.

From the article...
Matthew Luka took a new job at another law firm, which required him to hand the case over to someone else, he said. He will be replaced by Ryan Gilbert.

Is this true? I was always under the impression that the client got to choose if they wanted to stay with the firm or go with the departing attorney.

But I may have picked that up from LA Law or Boston Legal or one of those shows. So perhaps not the most reliable source of information.
if there was a conflict of interest, he might have needed to transfer the case... usually an atty needs to ask the court for permission to stop representing a party IMO.

Last edited:
From the article...

I think it probably depends on the new law firm and the contract/policy/expectations that he is under with the new law firm. And his ability to have time to represent clients in this high profile case.

JMO, IANAL

<snipped by me for focus>

Each state has ethical guidelines on how an attorney and the old law firm should proceed when an attorney leaves to go to a new law firm. The client has the choice to go with their current attorney to his/her new law firm if that is possible, stay with the old law firm, or go to another law firm with attorney of their own choosing. In this case, it looks like the clients (Laundries) have chosen to go with a new law firm and attorney.

An attorney can leave a case with just client's approval.

And an attorney can leave a case if the attorney leaves for a new law firm and for whatever reason is unable to continue to represent the client at the new law firm. In this situation, both the attorney and the old law firm have ethical obligations under the ABA to assist the client in securing counsel, etc.

It sounds like the clients in this case chose to go with an attorney outside of the old law firm.

Moo..are there other cases where this civil type case happens? What is this actually about? What's the point? Is there money involved?
Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman were murdered outside her home in Los Angeles. O.J. Simpson was later acquitted of the killings, but he was held liable in a civil suit.

When asked who he thinks will prevail in the trial, he deferred to Gilbert.

“I wish the Laundries all the best and have always believed in their case, but I’ll leave that for Mr. Gilbert to answer after he has had a chance to complete discovery,” Luka said.
The last part of the statement is unnecessary and that makes it sound odd to me:

"I wish the Laundries all the best
and have always believed in their case
but I’ll leave that for Mr. Gilbert to answer after he has had a chance to complete discovery"

Moo..I think it is a beautiful letter to her son, who she loved unconditionally (same as I feel with my son)...burn after reading...I take to be just a joke.

This is the first time I've read the contents of that letter, and I agree--it's a beautiful letter of unconditional love from a mother to a son.

I have to wonder if BL had some emotional issues that his mother felt she needed to soothe.

This is the first time I've read the contents of that letter, and I agree--it's a beautiful letter of unconditional love from a mother to a son.

I have to wonder if BL had some emotional issues that his mother felt she needed to soothe.
Moo...I would guess that he had communicated that the trip was not fun and they were arguing alot. I read her letter as a mix of support and sarcasm. They appeared to me to be a young emotionally immature couple, some couples argue alot. It is not enjoyable to be around, but it not your relationship to have an opinion on. They are adults. .. .moo

Last edited:
The last part of the statement is unnecessary and that makes it sound odd to me:

"I wish the Laundries all the best
and have always believed in their case
but I’ll leave that for Mr. Gilbert to answer after he has had a chance to complete discovery"
Translation: "Good luck to him with unravelling this mess after he finds out all the details. I'm a outta here."

VENICE, Fla. (WFLA) — The parents of Gabby Petito have come face-to-face with the parents of Brian Laundrie for the first time since Petito’s murder more than two years ago.

On Tuesday in Venice, Florida, the legal team for Petito’s parents deposed Christopher Laundrie, Brian Laundrie’s father, as part of the civil lawsuit filed against the Laundries and their longtime attorney Steven Bertolino. [...]

[...]
More depositions are on the schedule, including with Brian Laundrie’s sister Cassie, as both sides prepare for trial in May 2024.

More at link [...]

‘Gut-wrenching’: Parents of Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie meet for first time since Petito’s murder

Updated: Oct 10, 2023 / 02:01 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member