Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The depositions don't look good for the Laundries, the burn letter looks bad and making a settlement offer looks like guilt....2 Cents
Just wanted to share that a party to litigation may settle for reasons other that guilt. I would assume the most common reason would be realizing they will lose if it goes to trial. Other reasons can be no longer being able to afford attorney and all other associated fees. I would guess the Laundries would consider settling because they realized they will lose at trial, and not because they decided to take accountability.

Just wanted to share that a party to litigation may settle for reasons other that guilt. I would assume the most common reason would be realizing they will lose if it goes to trial. Other reasons can be no longer being able to afford attorney and all other associated fees. I would guess the Laundries would consider settling because they realized they will lose at trial, and not because they decided to take accountability.
One thing seems crystal clear, the Petito's are not in this arena to settle. They had to settle way back when they were frantically seeking their missing daughter, they had to shut up and 'be nice' to the Laundries, in the hopes, the faint hope that some humanity would leak from them and they could find their daughter, at least to lay her to rest. But no. The Laundries stretched the torture out to the very limit, and now we are in the FIND OUT segment of the FAFO experiment.

The Laundries should never, ever have issued that letter stating their hopes about Gabby''s situation. That was deceptive.

I read once, re civil suit, re money penalty for a wrongful death matter,, way back in 1930. .paraphrased, it was... 'you placed the albatross wings of grief around my shoulders for a lifetime, now you carry the albatross wings of debt for your lifetime to remember it.

Lying to an FBI agent is illegal. The FBI was involved, right? Why isn't RL charged with making a false statement now that it is clear she didn't reveal everything she knew? Was this considered a federal matter because Brian was in multiple states during his crime?

False statement charges under 18 USC Section 1001 may be brought when someone makes a “false statement” to an agent or agency of the federal government in connection with a federal matter.

While we may see more evidence if this goes to trial, so far I haven't seen any evidence that shows the Laundries knew that Gabby was dead.

Even with civil courts lower standards I just don't see it. JMO.
I don't see it either. No evidence that proves Laundries knew Gabby was dead and also no evidence the Laundries withheld it in order to "intentionally inflict emotional distress." That's quite a stretch to expect a jury to believe, especially considering Gabby and Brian lived with his parents in their Florida home while they planned and saved $$$ to embark on their van adventure.

JMO

Schmidt and Joe Petito, Gabby’s father, have sued the Laundries and Bertolino for intentional infliction of emotional distress, claiming they were aware Gabby was dead but chose to do nothing other than release a statement expressing hope Gabby would be found.

I did not say there was a court order. I am explaining an aspect of civil law. For example, the counseling records are probably marked as confidential. If I am wrong someone feel free to correct me.
So you don't know if there is a court order in this case regarding limiting public release of evidence.

Hey everyone,

Some members are using the WS HaHa emoji feature to ridicule and mock other members. It is a form of internet bullying and will not be tolerated at Websleuths.

We aren't stupid and can tell the difference between when it is being used to represent genuine laughter at something that is humorous, and when it is being overused in a negative fashion.

Take notice that members who persist in doing so will have the emoji feature removed from their permissions.

This case has everything to do with DV because Gabby Petito was a victim of DV, which ultimately led to her homicide.
This is a civil lawsuit. A Judge awarded GP's family $3 million in their wrongful death lawsuit because BL confessed to taking GP's life. His parents were not involved.

The attorney then "invented" sensational allegations to file these civil lawsuits against the Laundrie parents and the Moab LE.

JMO

I did not say there was a court order. I am explaining an aspect of civil law. For example, the counseling records are probably marked as confidential. If I am wrong someone feel free to correct me.
Court orders ARE an aspect of civil law.

JMO

This is a civil lawsuit. A Judge awarded GP's family $3 million in their wrongful death lawsuit because BL confessed to taking GP's life. His parents were not involved.

The attorney then "invented" sensational allegations to file these civil lawsuits against the Laundrie parents and the Moab LE.

JMO
I agree his parents were not involved with her homicide.

Settlement offers don't at all prove that the offering party thinks they're going to lose in court. Litigation is expensive, It's a way to minimize your expenses even if you were to win.
I do not disagree with you. That is another reason. It's good you mentioned that because I did forget to include that as a possibility.

In case you were responding to me, I said, "Just wanted to share that a party to litigation may settle for reasons other that guilt. I would assume the most common reason would be realizing they will lose if it goes to trial. Other reasons can be no longer being able to afford attorney and all other associated fees. I would guess the Laundries would consider settling because they realized they will lose at trial, and not because they decided to take accountability."

I did not imply these were the only reasons that someone may settle litigation.

Last edited:
<modsnip> I am explaining why in litigation you may not be able to just release all the evidence you have publicly.
I'm more interested in the facts of this case and that's why I asked for a link. I thought I may have missed an important court order.

Thanks for explaining your point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35
Back