Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't have a lot of hope that mediation will result in settlement. If the Laundries can't apologize based on advice of counsel, and the Petitos don't want money, I don't see how they can successfully mediate.

If they do decide to apologize publicly, I do hope they don't use Bertolino to write it.

I don't have a lot of hope that mediation will result in settlement. If the Laundries can't apologize based on advice of counsel, and the Petitos don't want money, I don't see how they can successfully mediate.

If they do decide to apologize publicly, I do hope they don't use Bertolino to write it.
Another possibility is the Laundries will not publicly apologize for something they didn't do regardless of advice of counsel. JMO.

Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie’s families headed to mediation in Florida lawsuit​

No surprise the Laundries want to settle. I believe this indicates that the Laundries feel they will lose more money from a jury than if they settle. The depositions make it clear that murder did cross their minds.

The parties will meet in person the morning of Feb. 21 with mediator W. Andrew Clayton Jr. Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit and is expected to take part.

New Jersey lawyer David Gelman, who has been following the case, said "the scheduled mediation shows both sides have good faith and are willing to negotiate. I would expect if there was a resolution that it would happen very quickly."

The scheduled talks come shortly after Reilly dropped efforts to have the court force Bertolino to testify about his private conversations with Brian Laundrie, which he argued are protected by attorney-client privilege.

Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt, Petito's parents, previously rejected a settlement offer, but their attorney, Pat Reilly, has said they would be open to one under different terms. Last week, Reilly asked Bertolino to turn over insurance information that could play a role in any civil judgment or come up in mediation.
iirc, Florida law requires mediation prior to trial. There is no incentive for the Laundries to settle. Bertolino's deposition makes his position very clear.

JMO

The Laundrie's counsel is also being sued. He's made his position very clear. It is the Petito attorneys who need to apologize, and I do believe now that he has made sure the depositions are released, they know it.

JMO

An apology implies some form of liability. I don’t think they will ever tell what they knew at the time.
They've already testified via their depositions that they knew nothing about the Moab incident or what happened afterward. They wisely retained an old friend who happens to be an excellent attorney...

JMO

iirc, Florida law requires mediation prior to trial. There is no incentive for the Laundries to settle. Bertolino's deposition makes his position very clear.

JMO

Not true. If there was no incentive for the defendants to settle then Bertolino and the Launderies would never have tried to settle back in fall 2023.

Please link your assertions:

1.) Bertolino's deposition
2.) Pages in deposition that prove he and the Laundries have no motive to settle
3.) Florida statute that requires all parties in civil law suits to sit down in formal mediation.

No one tries to settle if they have no incentive to do so, obviously the Laundries have a motive to settle as well as Bertolino. Otherwise they put themselves at risk of the great possibility of a large jury award.

I did not think the Petitos had a case but the more information that comes out the more it points to the Laundries having covered up for their deeply disturbed violent selfish son.

I suspect the L's will not want all the evidence against them to come out at trial which is another big reason to settle.

2 Cents

Last edited:
Not true. If there was no incentive for the defendants to settle then Bertolino and the Launderies would never have tried to settle back in fall 2023.

2.) Pages in deposition that prove he and the Laundries have no motive to settle
3.) Florida statute that requires all parties in civil law suits to sit down in formal mediation.

No one tries to settles if they have no incentive to do so. The Laundries need to settle or risk the great possibility of a large jury award.

2 Cents
BBM. I've seen no proof that the Laundries tried to settle. I've seen plenty of proof that their attorneys lied to the public and have posted many links.

JMO

No one tries to settle if they have no incentive to do so, obviously the Laundries have a motive to settle as well as Bertolino. Otherwise they put themselves at risk of the great possibility of a large jury award.

2 Cents
Bertolino tried to settle too: Former attorney for family of Brian Laundrie wants to settle civil case against him so the truth is all 3 tried to settle! Sorry if I misread your post Cool Cats and assumed you meant bertolino tried to settle just for the Laundries

Last edited:
Last edited:
Bertolino tried to settle too: Former attorney for family of Brian Laundrie wants to settle civil case against him so the truth is all 3 tried to settle!
All three aren't trying to settle now. In his deposition, Bertolino made it very clear that he was continuing to maintain attorney/client privilege.

Bertolino has the Petito lawyers on the ropes. I think this is a war between the lawyers and I seriously doubt the Petito lawyers win nor should they win. There's this thing called, "ethics" and they went way over the line.

JMO

Reilly told Nexstar’s WFLA that he withdrew the motion because he no longer feels what Laundrie told Bertolino is needed to make the Petito case.
Bertolino told WFLA that “the motion was not supported by the law of the facts.”

“He got the publicity he wanted from filing it, but once my attorneys filed a substantively superior response he had little choice but to withdraw it,” Bertolino said.

The motion had argued that the attorney-client privilege was “waived by the client” after he voluntarily included a confession in his suicide note found near his body in October 2021.

BBM. I've seen no proof that the Laundries tried to settle. I've seen plenty of proof that their attorneys lied to the public and have posted many links.

JMO

Saying they did not try to settle does not change the court documents that they tried to settle and doesn't change the fact that the Petitos turned down their offer because they tried to settle. Very reliable Tampa Bay MSM that looked at the court documents.

Waiting for these links:

Gabby Petito’s Parents Want Apology, Not Blood Money, From Brian Laundrie’s Family​

8 On Your Side WFLA Investigates

The News Channel 8 Investigators are Tampa Bay’s most recognized and honored I-team. They are “On Your Side” each and every day to bring a voice to the voiceless and hold the powerful accountable.

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Brian Laundrie’s parents have sent a settlement proposal to the parents of Gabby Petito to resolve a civil suit that’s set to go to trial next year, according to court documents obtained by WFLA.

Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt turned down the unspecified offer and are proceeding with their case against Christopher and Roberta Laundrie, a source close to the negotiations said Friday.

Last edited:
Saying they did not try to settle does not change the court documents that they tried to settle and doesn't change the fact that the Petitos turned down their offer because they tried to settle.

Waiting for these links:

Gabby Petito’s Parents Want Apology, Not Blood Money, From Brian Laundrie’s Family​

8 On Your Side WFLA Investigates​

The News Channel 8 Investigators are Tampa Bay’s most recognized and honored I-team. They are “On Your Side” each and every day to bring a voice to the voiceless and hold the powerful accountable.

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Brian Laundrie’s parents have sent a settlement proposal to the parents of Gabby Petito to resolve a civil suit that’s set to go to trial next year, according to court documents obtained by WFLA.
I've provided links to Bertolino's deposition. Twice.
I've provided links to the Florida statute requiring mediation in civil cases.
I've seen NO LINKS to prove the Laundrie parents sent a settlement proposal. I've seen a link that Bertolino offered settlement for himself, and it was rejected. No way to confirm it is true.
I've provided a link below to the Florida mediation statute.

Here's a link to what Bertolino is doing now. I wish him the best of luck.
JMO

A Florida lawyer’s duty of confidentiality also survives the client, so it applies to the attorney even after the client is dead. A lawyer cannot disclose confidential information following the client’s death. This same rule also applies to the privilege against compelled disclosure. The Florida Evidence Code further states the personal representative of a deceased client may claim the privilege.

I've seen NO LINKS to prove the Laundrie parents sent a settlement proposal.

Ignoring a WS MSM link - according to WS TOS - won't change the fact that the Laundries tried to settle

Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt turned down the unspecified offer and are proceeding with their case against Christopher and Roberta Laundrie, a source close to the negotiations said Friday.

Last edited:

JMO

Not logical.

That Bertolino's deposition states he has no reason to settle when he actually did try to settle and admits he tired to settle.

What seems to be extremely difficult for some people to accept is that the L's and Bertolino tried to settle. And if the L's and Bertolino tired to settle it means they are guilty.

However, It is possible the L's and Bertolino want to settle to save trial costs even though they think their case is winnable, but usually people want to clear their name and ask to get all attorney fees paid by going to trial.

My point of view.

Attorney Steven Bertolino has sent a “proposal of settlement” to Joe Petito and Nichole Schmidt, Gabby’s parents, according to court documents. However, the terms of the settlement offer are not being released publicly.

“Confidential,” said Pat Reilly, the attorney for Joe Petito and Schmidt, in a statement to WFLA. “I can’t discuss.”

Not logical.

That Bertolino's deposition states he has no reason to settle when he actually did try to settle and admits he tired to settle.

What seems to be extremely difficult for some people to accept is that the L's and Bertolino tried to settle. And if the L's and Bertolino tired to settle it means they are guilty.

However, It is possible the L's and Bertolino want to settle to save trial costs even though they think their case is winnable, but usually people want to clear their name and ask to get all attorney fees paid by going to trial.

My point of view.

Attorney Steven Bertolino has sent a “proposal of settlement” to Joe Petito and Nichole Schmidt, Gabby’s parents, according to court documents. However, the terms of the settlement offer are not being released publicly.

“Confidential,” said Pat Reilly, the attorney for Joe Petito and Schmidt, in a statement to WFLA. “I can’t discuss.”
Yup, I see a settlement just like a plea deal or Alford plea- an admission of guilt even if they can't bring themselves to say it.

Florida law requires mediation prior to trial.

No. Florida law does not require mediation. The defendants or plaintiffs have to ask for mediation and have to be able to pay for it, it is not required by law. The L's want to settle because they have bad acts that they don't want the world to see in court. This is how it looks to me.

The 2023 Florida Statutes​

44.102 Court-ordered mediation.—
(1) Court-ordered mediation shall be conducted according to rules of practice and procedure adopted by the Supreme Court.
(2) A court, under rules adopted by the Supreme Court:
(a) Must, upon request of one party, refer to mediation any filed civil action for monetary damages, provided the requesting party is willing and able to pay the costs of the mediation or the costs can be equitably divided between the parties,

Ignoring a WS MSM link - according to WS TOS - won't change the fact that the Laundries tried to settle

BBM. WFLA didn't provide a link to the court documents. Click on the link and there is nothing there. It is click-bait.

The affidavit attorney Steve Bertoloni filed on Feb.08, 2024 isn't click bait. It is very real.

JMO

Bertoloni will be lucky to have any practice after this, He badly advised and badly served his clients, but they employed him, so any fault is on them.

A small thing. If the Laundries were at ease with the story of 'Gabby gone'. why didn't they just tell the Petito's this? Like. oh. Mrs Petito, Brian says Gabby is gone, thats all we know, see ya later'...'.. this would have been something, yet they chose to say nothing which poured gasoline on a fire.
And when they finally DID pony up and speak thru Bertolino, they send a deceptive message?.. why?? why not get Bertolino to say, well, Brian says Gabby has gone.....,..(

( but you all know the answer to that one _ _ )

BBM. WFLA didn't provide a link to the court documents. Click on the link and there is nothing there. It is click-bait.

The affidavit attorney Steve Bertoloni filed on Feb.08, 2024 isn't click bait. It is very real.

JMO

No, this is not click bait <modsnip>

They, by law, cannot link a settlement offer! This cannot be done. Never is done!

The Petitos allowed a person close to the case to speak for them saying they would not accept the L's offer as it was only about money and no apology. Joe Petito said he wouldn't accept their settlement of any amount. Links posted earlier.

2 Cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bertoloni will be lucky to have any practice after this, He badly advised and badly served his clients, but they employed him, so any fault is on them.

A small thing. If the Laundries were at ease with the story of 'Gabby gone'. why didn't they just tell the Petito's this? Like. oh. Mrs Petito, Brian says Gabby is gone, thats all we know, see ya later'...'.. this would have been something, yet they chose to say nothing which poured gasoline on a fire.
And when they finally DID pony up and speak thru Bertolino, they send a deceptive message?.. why?? why not get Bertolino to say, well, Brian says Gabby has gone.....,..(

( but you all know the answer to that one _ _ )

Because they were covering up Brian's crime and then went camping pretending everything is fine. No wonder people were in front of their house. Not right that people were but I understand the palpable community anger.

The jury will likely feel it too.

2 Cents

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Katelyn26