Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
More of CL's deposition quotes, here he admits he suspected Gabby might be dead after Brian's frantic call:

Q. Did you tell Attorney Bertolino that you were concerned that Gabby was dead?
A. After the conversation of how frantic he was and, you know, it was something I thought we had to consider.
__
Q. So did there come a point between the time Brian disclosed to you that Gabby was gone and the issuance of this statement on September xth of that you thought maybe she just didn't walk away?
A. It was -- it was becoming more of a thought, I guess, yeah.
Q. Is it fair to say that by this point in time you knew she was dead?
A. I didn't know.
Q. You didn't know?
A. No.
Q. Okay. But you had a suspicion that she was, correct?
A. Unfortunately, it was a thought, yeah.
__

(I deleted all line numbers for editing, I accidentally removed the date quoted)

A thought that something terrible might have happened to GP does not mean that he had any thought that his son was the cause of whatever happened. He didn't know, and of course any parent's thoughts would have gone all over the place in the midst of this crisis.

This part of CL's depo confused me. He said he knew Brian was in Jackson the last time they spoke. But the Laundrie camp didn't reveal that to police and allowed the search to continue.
__
Q. Did he ever tell you where Gabby was?
A. No.
Q. But the last place that -- strike that. The place that he was when he told you that she was gone was in Jackson?
A. That's all he said. That I know.
Q. Did you ever disclose to anyone that the last place you spoke to Brian was in Jackson?
A. I told my attorney.
__
Q. When you saw that there was a search in Grand Teton National Park did you check to see if that was anywhere near Jackson?
A. No, I didn't.
__
Q. And is Grand Teton National Park near Jackson, Wyoming, where Brian was when he contacted you?
A. I have no idea.
Q. Did you say, hey, maybe you should look in the Jackson area, maybe not Grand Teton National Park?
A. I didn't say anything to anyone.

Sounds like he explained that on the advice of his attorney, he refrained from contacting the family.
Correct, that is his right.
But that wasn't the point of the question.
Chris Laundrie's words prove that he had considered the Petito's feelings and knew they were suffering ("it was not a pleasant thing for anybody"). This was before the Laundries released their statement.

A thought that something terrible might have happened to GP does not mean that he had any thought that his son was the cause of whatever happened. He didn't know, and of course any parent's thoughts would have gone all over the place in the midst of this crisis.
I think that's true, and I also think people naturally push bad thoughts to the backs of their minds until they can no longer ignore them. Especially when it comes to one's children.

I remember when the very few times my kids would miss curfew and although there's always a tiny niggling thought that something bad might have happened--I always held out hope that they were fine and would be home soon. And, they were.

I imagine something similar--but on a more intense scale--with the Laundries. They might have had that niggling thought, but rather than immediately turn to that -- they likely kept thinking it would all turn out fine. Of course, it didn't, but I also think it's natural to reassure others until you know the worst has happened.

I'm reminded of well-meaning friends who tell you -- It's all going to be fine, don't you worry, when you have a sick or injured child. They don't know that, of course, and they may actually suspect something more dire, but they do it to reassure. Maybe they also do it to keep from facing an unwanted truth.

Personally, I think both families have suffered more than any parents should have to suffer and I hope it all ends soon without too much more angst between them. I think both families will carry scars from this for the rest of their lives.

I am very sorry for both. Neither of them signed up for this horrific turn in their lives.

Not really. A change of venue wouldn't help in my opinion. News of this lawsuit is worldwide.

A biased jury is pretty much inevitable. JMO.
I honestly think it will be over soon. I think it will settle out of court--probably without any money changing hands. I just don't see the Petitos persuing it much farther. It has to be hard on them as well as on the Laundries.

More from CL's depo, he clearly had no love left for Gabby and referred to her as "it". He liked the possibility that Gabby had just walked away.
___
Q. You didn't? So what else would "gone" mean and that your son was so frantic? What else, what other possible interpretation, could there be of that?
A. I don't know. I had no idea, but, you know, I can guess a million things for you.
Q. Well, did you guess one of them was that she just walked away?
A. Yeah, it's a possibility.
Q. And if she --
A. She just left, but that's what – that's great.
___
Q. Do you think the Petito family on September x, was really concerned about your hope that the search was successful?
A. No. It was my hope and then -- and then it would be found -- everything would be resolved.
___

(My own two cents: Why did he call her "it"? Why not say "it was my hope and then she would be found".

More from CL's depo, he clearly had no love left for Gabby and referred to her as "it". He liked the possibility that Gabby had just walked away.
___
Q. You didn't? So what else would "gone" mean and that your son was so frantic? What else, what other possible interpretation, could there be of that?
A. I don't know. I had no idea, but, you know, I can guess a million things for you.
Q. Well, did you guess one of them was that she just walked away?
A. Yeah, it's a possibility.
Q. And if she --
A. She just left, but that's what – that's great.
___
Q. Do you think the Petito family on September x, was really concerned about your hope that the search was successful?
A. No. It was my hope and then -- and then it would be found -- everything would be resolved.
___

(My own two cents: Why did he call her "it"? Why not say "it was my hope and then she would be found".
I don't think the use of the word "it" has any specific meaning, he sounds nervous and doesn't express himself well.

And yes, it would be great if "she just left," because that would be a relief to a parent who is troubled about his son's possible involvement in his partner's disappearance.

But the anger is worldwide imo and they all know it imo. And who's fault that is jmo.

Laundrie's fault.

WS does a "million" missing person cases and we know how important it is - in those crucial first hours - to get information out about the missing person's last known location and such. Anything that is in the least bit helpful.

We know how anxiety ridden loved ones get hour after hour. The Petitos had to wait 3 weeks!

The Petitos were beside themselves not knowing where their daughter was. Not knowing if she was lost, hurt or dead.
The Laundries owed it to the Petitos to give information they knew. This was a missing person case and the Laundries and their attorney deliberately ruined the investigation by withholding crucial information.

2 Cents

EDIT -

Was it illegal? No. Does it meet the threshold for a jury to hear it in civil court? Yes.

Last edited:
True, that is possible.

But Chris's own words (also quoted below) were "he was like a kid who came home, you know, in trouble, but that's how he seemed."
If Brian wasn't the cause, why would he so urgently need a lawyer?
__
A. After the conversation of how frantic he was and, you know, it was something I thought we had to consider.

Laundrie's fault.

WS does a "million" missing person cases and we know how important it is - in those crucial first hours - to get information out about the missing person's last known location and such. Anything that is in the least bit helpful.

We know how anxiety ridden loved ones get hour after hour. The Petitos had to wait 3 weeks!

The Petitos were beside themselves not knowing where their daughter was. Not knowing if she was lost, hurt or dead.
The Laundries owed it to the Petitos to give information they knew. This was a missing person case and the Laundries and their attorney deliberately ruined the investigation by withholding crucial information.

2 Cents
100% agree. Great post!!

More from CL's depo, describes planning Brian's defense as if he did murder Gabby.
__
Q. What did Attorney Bertolino say to you?
A. Well, he said -- well, then we did discuss that, you know, maybe -- maybe something seriously happened and, you know, we would act accordingly to keep everything -- we don't know. So that's – so that's -- that's it.

But the anger is worldwide imo and they all know it imo. And who's fault that is jmo.
There are quite a few victim advocates, retired FBI profilers and DV experts who have condemned Brian Laundrie's actions on their own platforms and in the media. That could be one educational source.

Brian Entin also reported that the Laundries refused to talk to police. Would that news provoke anger?

True, that is possible.

But Chris's own words (also quoted below) were "he was like a kid who came home, you know, in trouble, but that's how he seemed."
If Brian wasn't the cause, why would he so urgently need a lawyer?
__

Considering that GP may be dead is not the same as considering that his son may have killed her.

There are quite a few victim advocates, retired FBI profilers and DV experts who have condemned Brian Laundrie's actions on their own platforms and in the media. That could be one educational source.

Brian Entin also reported that the Laundries refused to talk to police. Would that news provoke anger?

We all condemn BL's actions.

With regard to the Laundries talking to LE, they were never charged with anything. I think they cooperated with LE as much as they could, given their attorney's advice.

I don't think the use of the word "it" has any specific meaning, he sounds nervous and doesn't express himself well.

And yes, it would be great if "she just left," because that would be a relief to a parent who is troubled about his son's possible involvement in his partner's disappearance.
Exactly! :)
It would be great only for the Laundries if Gabby just walked away.
It wouldn't be great for her or anyone else, because she was still missing.

edit to add: It proves Chris Laundrie was troubled about their son's possible involvement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35
Back