Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I will not be surprised if a jury will find for the plaintiffs.

All they have to do is create an atmosphere that will cause the jury to dislike the Laundries actions. They don't have to provide solid evidence that they knew Gabby was dead when Brian made the phone call saying she was gone. JMO.
That is not quite correct. That is not what the Petito's have to do. What the Petito's have to do, and it has nothing to do with liking or disliking the Laundries' actions, is have the weight of evidence lean on the claim that the Laundries caused the Petito's undue emotional stress. The clue is in the word, 'undue'. Undeserved, unasked for,...

That is not quite correct. That is not what the Petito's have to do. What the Petito's have to do, and it has nothing to do with liking or disliking the Laundries' actions, is have the weight of evidence lean on the claim that the Laundries caused the Petito's undue emotional stress. The clue is in the word, 'undue'. Undeserved, unasked for,...
Sounds like you are agreeing with me. JMO.

Hi cool cats, can you please provide a post number or poster name or hint, for Gabby's Dad's deposition? thank you.

- Roberta Laundrie Deposition

Page 64-65 - Roberta says she's concerned for Gabby's well-being.

Page 62 - Admits she is concerned for Gabby.

Page 58
Question - But the fact that maybe he murdered her went through your mind, didn't it?
Answer - .....It might have gone through my mind.......

Brian rings Mum 2 days after the Moab event. Doesn't mention anything at all about what happened. Says nothing about him biffing Gabby in broad daylight, how a citizen called it in, how the coppers stopped them, how Gabby ' confessed' to biffing Brian, Gabby's bruised face, the cops putting him up in a hotel, Gabby sent off to think things over alone, how he managed to persuade the cops about Gabby's moods and tantrums, nothing about how he tried to drive off without her, .. etc....says nothing to Roberta about this.........

Says Roberta. This just does not sound true at all.

Attachments

• 1707877731080.png
    1707877731080.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 7

“I asked him, you know, how is he doing, and he—you know, he was not calm and he got very excited and told me things had—you know, ‘Gabby’s gone’ and he got very frantic. Everything was frantic and quick. So, you know, Gabby’s gone,” Chris Laundrie responded.

“Meaning what?” the attorney asked.

“Well, I have no idea what he meant,” Chris said.

“Well, what else did he say?”

“Well, it was quick. He said, you know—and he was very panicked and he said he didn’t know what to do. He said, you know, ‘Can you help me,’ you know, and he might need a lawyer, you know. And I would—I asked him why he wouldn’t tell me. He was very frantic. Everything was frantic and I started to not really comprehend, and then he said just, you know, ‘Can you help me?’ And I said, ‘Okay. I’ll help you.’ And I calmed him down and I said—I don’t know,” Chris Laundrie recalled. “It was—it was all mumbled and I still don’t remember everything that happened, but, you know, he said he needed help and to get an attorney. And I told him, ‘Yeah, I’ll help you. I’ll call Steven Bertolino, and just stay put.’ And then I asked him again, and he just said, ‘Just help me.’ And I said, ‘Yeah, I’m going to, so stay calm. Stay put.’ And he hung up.”

Chris and Roberta maintain they were never told anything other than “Gabby’s gone” and because they say Gabby was known to “disappear” for periods of time, they did not believe Gabby had been murdered.
Despite saying earlier in the depositions that they had “love” for Gabby, Chris and Robert said they never considered contacting Gabby’s parents after learning Gabby was “gone.”

“I didn’t [call Gabby’s parents], no, because I had no reason to—at that very moment to think anything was – was going on. Gabby took off and did things that I—you know, she—on her own free will, so I had no idea what—where she was,” Chris said.

“I left it in my attorney’s position there,” Chris added later.
The Petito family is seeking damages of at least $100,000. When asked what he hoped to accomplish with the lawsuit, Joe Petito said he was “looking to hurt them as much as they hurt us” and there’s no amount they will settle for.

“I don’t want—I don’t give a s*** about a dime. I don’t. I don’t care. I work. I do well. It’s not about the money,” Petito said. “I want to make them hurt as much as they hurt us. As I told Pat, there’s not amount of money that I would settle for, not a dime.”

“And how —how is this lawsuit going to help you change laws?” Petito was asked.

“It’s not. This lawsuit’s not going to help me do anything,” he said.

“Okay. Now, I know you mentioned earlier that one thing that you would like to get out of this lawsuit is for the Laundrie’s to experience the pain that you felt,” the lawyer continued. “How—how would you—how would you get that from this lawsuit?”

“Because they would—anything that’s out of their control, they can’t—they can’t control what the jury’s going to do. They can’t control what the judge is going to do. So they’ve got to sit there and be tormented and pay legal bills for all of you guys. And I don’t give a s***. I hope they go bankrupt on your s***. I truly do. I don’t want a dime from them. I don’t give a s*** about their money.”

Sister gets a pass from me. I don’t think she knew. I expect there remains a deep rift.

JMO
Cassie is the only Laundrie family member who wanted Gabby to "come home safe".

Oddly, Brian's parents stated they hoped the "search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is reunited with her family."

Brian's parents already knew Gabby was not safe, and did not consider Gabby as part of their own family anymore. They would not even include her first name in their statement, as if she was never known to them.

This is apropos of nothing, but I was reading Chris Laundrie's transcript and I found this exchange pretty weird.

Q. All right. Your daughter, Cassandra. Where does she currently live?
A. In Lakewood Ranch here in Florida.
Q. Is she married?
A. Yes.
Q. Does she still go by "Cassandra Laundrie" or does she have a different name?
A. I don't even know. I don't know what name she takes.
Q. Is she married?
A. Yeah.
Q. What's her husband's name?
A. It's Jim Lutz.
Q. Jim Lutz?
A. Yeah.
Q. And you don't know if she's taken his married name?
A. No.
Q. They have children?
A. Yes.
Q. How many children?
A. Two.
Q. And do they go by "Lutz"?
A. I have no idea.
Q. Do you not have a relationship with Cassandra?
A. No, I have a relationship, but it's something - I just don't know that. You know, maybe she does, maybe she doesn't. I would have no reason to ask her about that, so.
Q. Did you attend her wedding?
A. Yes.
Q. Okay. And you don't know if they announced that she was now Mrs. Lutz?
A. No. It was a - no.

I don't know even what it means. Is there bad blood between him and his daughter? <modsnip> Is he just being argumentative with opposing counsel?

<modsnip>
He also got Brian's birthday wrong and I think his wife had to correct it for the record.

He sounds emotional, angry, and argumentative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will not be surprised if a jury will find for the plaintiffs.

All they have to do is create an atmosphere that will cause the jury to dislike the Laundries actions. They don't have to provide solid evidence that they knew Gabby was dead when Brian made the phone call saying she was gone. JMO.
I will be shocked if the jury finds for the plaintiffs.

The plaintiffs have created quite an atmosphere in which they are trying to influence public opinion in the lawsuit they filed against LE in Utah. There is ample LE body cam video to prove the officers' innocence weeks prior to GP "disappearing."

JMO

The plaintiffs have created quite an atmosphere in which they are trying to influence public opinion in the lawsuit they filed against LE in Utah. There is ample LE body cam video to prove the officers' innocence weeks prior to GP "disappearing."

JMO
I won't. I think the Petitos will win and I would bet that most jurors are more like me. The Petitos make sympathetic, credible witnesses, even as acknowledged to Nichole Schmidt by opposing counsel during her deposition. It would have been one thing if the Laundries remained silent, but they did not. It would be one thing if LE followed proper protocols, or followed up on Gabby's injuries, but they did not, IMHO.

Good god, is that culturally normal?? I am in different culture so it sounds completely off to me, but is this a regular thing, in Florida?... Am I to understand he does not know his only grandchildren's surname?.. ' and do they go by Lutz'....' I Have No Idea'.... (??????)
Nothing normal about not knowing your daughter's last name, IMO.

I won't. I think the Petitos will win and I would bet that most jurors are more like me. The Petitos make sympathetic, credible witnesses, even as acknowledged to Nichole Schmidt by opposing counsel during her deposition. It would have been one thing if the Laundries remained silent, but they did not. It would be one thing if LE followed proper protocols, or followed up on Gabby's injuries, but they did not, IMHO.

For me, they'll have a tough time proving that Brian's parents caused their emotional distress rather than Brian.

JMO
Domestic violence experts are educating the public. If this influences public opinion I'm all for it.

Dr. Laura Richards and the July 2022 Domestic Violence Report have detailed information regarding how the Moab police did not assess the situation correctly, and both agree that the Moab police did not even properly apply Utah's Physical Aggressor law correctly. I am not a lawyer, but found the above links helpful in understanding the reason for the lawsuit.

Richards literally wrote the book "Policing Domestic Violence". She is an expert and was interviewed by Tricia here on Websleuths.

Also, one of those police officers has a history of controlling behavior and exhibited violence with his ex-girlfriend, using police resources to stalk and threaten her. How can he serve and protect the public if he is an aggressor?

This lawsuit will likely drag on for years if a jury finds for the plaintiffs. Gabby's father rant quoted earlier in this thread won't help that.
The only reason this case was allowed to proceed was a ruling during the Johnny Depp - Amber Heard lawsuit where involved parties were found to be potentially liable for statements from their attorneys. After the verdict in that case was given and the parties later settled, there were no further appeals. This was in another jurisdiction, and far from established Florida law. Short of a Laundrie win or actual settlement, the issues about whether or not Bertolino's statement, the primary basis of this suit, can be used in this way will be appealed. I also expect Bertolino's attorneys still have many motions waiting to be filed as court approaches.

JMO
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "influence public opinion". The Petito's have filed a lawsuit against the Moab Police Department, but they haven't made any public statements about that case, certainly not recently. How is public opinion being influenced? In fact it's hard to find any details about it. The last articles I can find are from August, which only contained a statement from the police lawyer, but none from the Petito's or their attorney.

Are you suggesting that a Florida jury may be tainted because there are a handful of months-old articles written about the Utah suit? I doubt anyone in the Florida jury pool will even be aware of it, and it would easy to filter out any such juror during voir-dire.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "influence public opinion". The Petito's have filed a lawsuit against the Moab Police Department, but they haven't made any public statements about that case, certainly not recently. How is public opinion being influenced? In fact it's hard to find any details about it. The last articles I can find are from August, which only contained a statement from the police lawyer, but none from the Petito's or their attorney.

Are you suggesting that a Florida jury may be tainted because there are a handful of months-old articles written about the Utah suit? I doubt anyone in the Florida jury pool will even be aware of it, and it would easy to filter out any such juror during voir-dire.
This case received intense national publicity for weeks <modsnip>. A $50 million lawsuit against LE attracts attention.

I don't believe the Utah taxpayers on the jury will believe Moab LE was in any way at fault. BL admitted he killed her weeks later.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
This lawsuit will likely drag on for years if a jury finds for the plaintiffs. Gabby's father rant quoted earlier in this thread won't help that.
The only reason this case was allowed to proceed was a ruling during the Johnny Depp - Amber Heard lawsuit where involved parties were found to be potentially liable for statements from their attorneys. After the verdict in that case was given and the parties later settled, there were no further appeals. This was in another jurisdiction, and far from established Florida law. Short of a Laundrie win or actual settlement, the issues about whether or not Bertolino's statement, the primary basis of this suit, can be used in this way will be appealed. I also expect Bertolino's attorneys still have many motions waiting to be filed as court approaches.
BBM. You raise many great points! ITA

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89