Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Post, in its entirety, by @Sundog:
"The Laundries were ill-served, IMO, by their attorney who chose to release the statement in the way that he did. I think they trusted his judgement on what to write and release in his statement."

This ^ post is included in post below by @MyBelle.

@MyBelle
Tho understanding that some ppl "protested" at or close to the Laundrie home (I don't recall details), I'm not following the gist of the post.

Is ^post saying that the L's atty's publicly released stmt at that time was the (or an) appropriate way to address the circumstances, i.e., to prevent ppl from "protesting?"
Or to address something else?

ETA. TYVM :) for link to depo of Bertolino
Now starting to read it for more context & timing re the publicly released stmt & the protests. May clarify the issue.
Deposition (150+ pgs.) is linked in this story:
An interesting read in its entirety. The reason Bertolino released the statement is because the crowds were growing in size and anger was escalating. Bertolino wanted to do a press conference and the FBI if they did so, they would arrest Roberta. So, he released the statement with the sincere hope the Petito family understood they were concerned and cared about what GP's family was going through.

On page 109-110, he said that Rick Stafford (a Petito family attorney) told him that somebody on "his side" wanted the Laundries and Bertolino dead and it was growing increasingly difficult for Stafford to restrain whoever wanted them dead. Bertolino asked him to please consider what the Laundries were going through. They were being accused of helping Brian flee the country and death threats were pouring in. Bertolino, his staff, his daughters were also receiving death threats.

JMO

Doesn't matter why Bertolino sent the message, or who wrote it, or the idiotic thoughts behind it, it was designed to be deceptive, it was deceptive and the effect of it was deceptive. Bertolino acts on instructions from his clients. Everyone owns it.

Gabby actually DID die. she didn;t just get threats , and no one got threatsened by the Petito's. The Petito's cannot be blamed for the undercurrent of craziness in American society. That's on the community . The fact is, Gabby was murdered, not just vaguely threatened . It's a matter of degree .

I can't find anywhere where Gabby 'took medication'. or ' fought with Brian ' in Florida, like fisticuffs etc, or anything of the sort. Roberta talks about a pie she made that did not get the required praise she felt was due to her, so she sulked and Gabby was upset and tried to apologise for not praising her high enough. (( sounds manipulative on Roberta's part to me, ) that's about all I can find to back up any story about this.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter why Bertolino sent the message, or who wrote it, or the idiotic thoughts behind it, it was designed to be deceptive, it was deceptive and the effect of it was deceptive. Bertolino acts on instructions from his clients. Everyone owns it.

Gabby actually DID die. she didn;t just get threats , and no one got threatsened by the Petito's. The Petito's cannot be blamed for the undercurrent of craziness in American society. That's on the community . The fact is, Gabby was murdered, not just vaguely threatened . It's a matter of degree .

I can't find anywhere where Gabby 'took medication'. or ' fought with Brian ' in Florida, like fisticuffs etc, or anything of the sort. Roberta talks about a pie she made that did not get the required praise she felt was due to her, so she sulked and Gabby was upset and tried to apologise for not praising her high enough. (( sounds manipulative on Roberta's part to me, ) that's about all I can find to back up any story about this.
Where can I find this story about a pie? I'd like to read more about it to gain context.

Moo.....this is your interpretation of the facts, I respect that. My interpretation is quite different. The case could go either way. It is the judge and jury's interpretation that shall decide this matter...imoo The fact is they have not been found guilty or innocent yet... ...moo

Sept. 2021 Stmt. Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't?
An interesting read in its entirety. The reason Bertolino released the statement is because the crowds were growing in size and anger was escalating. Bertolino wanted to do a press conference and the FBI if they did so, they would arrest Roberta. So, he released the statement with the sincere hope the Petito family understood they were concerned and cared about what GP's family was going through.

On page 109-110, he said that Rick Stafford (a Petito family attorney) told him that somebody on "his side" wanted the Laundries and Bertolino dead and it was growing increasingly difficult for Stafford to restrain whoever wanted them dead. Bertolino asked him to please consider what the Laundries were going through. They were being accused of helping Brian flee the country and death threats were pouring in. Bertolino, his staff, his daughters were also receiving death threats. JMO
@MyBelle. Thanks for your response. Now having read your post & depo of Bertolino, I've gotten a better grasp of the events.

In retrospect, IDK if any response by Bertolino, CL, or RL would have quelled any of the "protesters' " words or actions. imo

"Possibly they got in a fight, and you know, maybe she’s going to press charges against him."

Interesting! Based on RL's comment, I think it is likely the couple had a history of arguments that included hitting one another. RL would know because they lived with the Laundries. Also sounds like RL wasn't aware of the Moab LE encounter.

Both Laundries said they never saw them fight or argue. Neither of them knew about the Moab incident till later.

Chris Laundrie's deposition mentions it, but Roberta's depo goes into more detail.

Edit: Each deposition is interesting to read in its entirety
Thanks. I'll try to find it.

Both Laundries said they never saw them fight or argue. Neither of them knew about the Moab incident till later.
The person who said they physically fought was Gabby's friend Rose Davis. She said GP slapped BL and he shoved her in response during one incident. BL's sister said the couple argued a lot but she said she never saw any physical stuff or hitting. And GP's parents said they never saw anything amiss.

At the time NS said about Moab:

"Addressing reports of the incident on Wednesday, Gabby's mother, Nichole Schmidt told DailyMail.com: 'It's irrelevant.
'Two people traveling together with each other 24 hours a day, it's not going to be perfect, it was an argument, and that's all I'm going to say about it.'

Gabby Petito's mom slams Brian Laundrie's sister over interview
MOO

Sept. 2021 Stmt. Damned If You Do, Damned If You Don't?

@MyBelle. Thanks for your response. Now having read your post & depo of Bertolino, I've gotten a better grasp of the events.

In retrospect, IDK if any response by Bertolino, CL, or RL would have quelled any of the "protesters' " words or actions. imo
That's actually answered by Bertolino beginning on page 119 of the depo. He says the "Salem Witch hunt" got worse because Petito attorney, Stafford, issued a public letter to the Laundries even though he knew they were represented by counsel. Stafford didn't mail it or email it but gave it directly to the press.

"He went full court press with that letter...and I think your clients and their attorney at the time fueled the fires that they wanted to fuel. And the result was it got worse for my clients and your clients couldn't understand that."

JMO

The person who said they physically fought was Gabby's friend Rose Davis. She said GP slapped BL and he shoved her in response during one incident. BL's sister said the couple argued a lot but she said she never saw any physical stuff or hitting. And GP's parents said they never saw anything amiss.

At the time NS said about Moab:

"Addressing reports of the incident on Wednesday, Gabby's mother, Nichole Schmidt told DailyMail.com: 'It's irrelevant.
'Two people traveling together with each other 24 hours a day, it's not going to be perfect, it was an argument, and that's all I'm going to say about it.'

Gabby Petito's mom slams Brian Laundrie's sister over interview
MOO
Thanks for the link. I thought I had read that somewhere.
And it also supports Bertolino's depo. He told Chris and Roberta to not ask Brian questions and not to discuss anything with Cassie.

JMO

According to Chris Laundrie, Brian told him the van cost $7,000 and it was titled in Gabby's name.
Yes, Gabby's mom also said they bought it together and fixed it up together.
Because Brian seemed to be the one always driving it, it's possible he added the van to his car insurance or his parents' insurance.

JMO

Reactions: nao

Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie’s families headed to mediation in Florida lawsuit​

No surprise the Laundries want to settle. I believe this indicates that the Laundries feel they will lose more money from a jury than if they settle. The depositions make it clear that murder did cross their minds.

The parties will meet in person the morning of Feb. 21 with mediator W. Andrew Clayton Jr. Laundrie family attorney Steven Bertolino is also named as a defendant in the lawsuit and is expected to take part.

New Jersey lawyer David Gelman, who has been following the case, said "the scheduled mediation shows both sides have good faith and are willing to negotiate. I would expect if there was a resolution that it would happen very quickly."

The scheduled talks come shortly after Reilly dropped efforts to have the court force Bertolino to testify about his private conversations with Brian Laundrie, which he argued are protected by attorney-client privilege.

Joseph Petito and Nichole Schmidt, Petito's parents, previously rejected a settlement offer, but their attorney, Pat Reilly, has said they would be open to one under different terms. Last week, Reilly asked Bertolino to turn over insurance information that could play a role in any civil judgment or come up in mediation.

Last edited:

Gabby Petito’s Parents Want Apology, Not Blood Money, From Brian Laundrie’s Family​

October 2023 - first settlement offer

If the Petitos accept the Laundrie's settlement offer, Febuary 21st 2024, I will assume they got their apology

"Gabby's family felt that the Laundries' proposal was generally just a financial offer, which they aren't really interested in," the source said.

"What Gabby's family wants is some sort of public acknowledgment and apology, which the Laundries aren't offering at this time."

Last edited:

Gabby Petito’s Parents Want Apology, Not Blood Money, From Brian Laundrie’s Family​

October 2023 - first settlement offer

If the Petitos accept the Laundrie's settlement offer, Febuary 21st 2024, I will assume they got their apology

"Gabby's family felt that the Laundries' proposal was generally just a financial offer, which they aren't really interested in," the source said.

"What Gabby's family wants is some sort of public acknowledgment and apology, which the Laundries aren't offering at this time."
I think that if the plaintiffs themselves made it publicly known that a public apology would end the lawsuit it would help greatly in reaching this goal.

Why an unnamed source for this position? If it's real let us know. JMO.

Lawyers on both sides didn't respond to requests for comment.

An apology implies some form of liability. I don’t think they will ever tell what they knew at the time.
Good point.

The Laundries have said what they knew and didn't know in their depositions. Are they telling the truth or lying?

The plaintiffs claim they are lying. Will a jury believe their claim with the evidence that we know about? We will see if this goes to trial. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meekdoggydogg
Back