Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The reviews of Spread Creek make mention of a nice creek by the campground. Which is, of course, Spread Creek. One could likely walk to the Snake River from there, about 6 miles away, crossing Highway 191. Not sure of the terrain or the presence or absence of barbed wire fences or obstacles.

You would have a very long walk to Coulter Bay, where he was picked up by Miranda Barker & BF. Unless, of course, you were hitchhiking and got a ride.

I think he actually may have grabbed her throat. It looked like she was putting her hands around her jaw when she showed the officer, and she had marks on her neck. IMO
Wait...she had marks on her throat yet the cops were thinking about arresting G because B had some little scratches on his face? I'm new to posting this thread, been trying to follow along without commenting but this, I had to ask.

Honestly I don't see BL being a serial killer or a - shoot, what do you call it - spurt killer. I think he was so freaked out by what he did to Gabby, that he was singularly focused on flying home to his parents' safe haven. JMO

I was thinking more in terms of some thing he might have seen that scared him.

No. It’s not that simple. First, to be released on one’s own recognizance, it usually has to be a petty crime and domestic violence may not be considered a petty crime, even if she was charged with misdemeanor DV.

She may have been able to easily make bail, but there would be no traveling on with Laundrie. She would’ve had to show up for future hearings. She would’ve very likely been given conditions for bail such as no contact with him. She may have had travel restricted to the state she was in and/or her home state.

Most states don’t play with DV.
I think there may be ramifications for not arresting Gabby, and I think that's the reason the audio was redacted in the body worn camera video when determining what to do.
I know that the Park Rangers have jurisdiction in the park but share authority with the local PD.
It would be interesting to know exactly who made the call not to arrest her.
@timestamp 48.55, the Moab cop with the beard said to the ranger "It's your call."
@timestamp 56.20, the other Moab cop says to Gabby "this is what "I'm" going to do."

https://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title77/Chapter36/77-36-S2.2.html
(77-36-2.2)
(2) 77-7-2, when a peace officer responds to a domestic violence call and has probable cause to believe that an act of domestic violence has been committed, the peace officer "shall" arrest without a warrant or "shall" issue a citation to any person that the peace officer has probable cause to believe has committed an act of domestic violence.

(76-1-601)
(4) "Bodily injury" means physical pain, illness, or any impairment of physical condition.

The cop asks Brian if he had any physical pain. Brian said no.
I think the cop covered all the bases not to make an arrest or to issue a citation, and made the determination that technically that no DV took place.
Then he got Brian free services provided to DV victims (ie. a free motel) which IMO contradicts no DV took place.

I think he likely told his parents he went to Carlton Reserve to throw them off. When he knew he was a POI he ran parking the car at Carlton Reserve and going by foot or hitch hiking somewhere else.
This. He could be anywhere, even assuming the parents are telling the truth, which is a big assumption at this point. And as I mentioned in one of the previous threads, he could have a burner phone, purchased at Walmart and not tracked by LE. His parents probably gave him cash, just my opinion but I think they're dropping bread crumbs and helping him stay "in the background" like Scott Peterson's family. (Remember him getting nabbed with his hair dyed, his brother's ID, a bunch of spare phones, and a buttload of cash, headed for Mexico?)

The comments about the possibility of Brian grabbing at Gabby's face or throat, my take was that she was struggling to find her words. She wasn't adequately describing what had happened. I think Brian may have been holding her face between his hands to get her to look at him and to help focus her and calm her down. In at least one of the photos I've seen, he had has hand on her head in a loving gesture. We need to be careful with our assumptions and biases that tend to disfavor men.

with all due respect I do understand what you’re saying, but on the other hand BL returned home safely to Florida and GP did not.

THANK YOU! My husband strangled me. Threatened to definitely find me and kill me if I left. Guess what my biggest obstacle was? All the people who said what a terrific guy he was that he could never do such a thing as beat his wife and kids. People do not know what villains do behind closed doors. Or as my grandmother called them, street angels and house devils.
Yes, I know what you mean exactly. In my situation, I had a husband that was an extrovert, loud, life of the party, and had tons of superficial relationships. He was the kind of guy everyone "knew" and liked. But, they didn't really know the real him.

I think he likely told his parents he went to Carlton Reserve to throw them off. When he knew he was a POI he ran parking the car at Carlton Reserve and going by foot or hitch hiking somewhere else. The fact that he frequents Carlton Reserve means nothing to me. The fact that he told his parents he was going there and they found the car there also means very little to me. He's probably hiking the AT by now. Another place he "frequented" with GP.

The Reserve is right by the Interstate!
He could be anywhere!

Last edited:
Snipped for focus.

While there are different legal definitions of domestic violence depending on where you are, scholars, subject matter experts, and advocacy organizations generally agree upon the following definition from the United Nations.

Domestic abuse, also called "domestic violence" or "intimate partner violence", can be defined as a pattern of behavior in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over an intimate partner. Abuse is physical, sexual, emotional, economic or psychological actions or threats of actions that influence another person. This includes any behaviors that frighten, intimidate, terrorize, manipulate, hurt, humiliate, blame, injure, or wound someone.
What Is Domestic Abuse? | United Nations

It is a pattern of behavior, and except for what is called "situational violence," there actually is usually one bad guy, which we refer to as the "primary aggressor". The PA is the person who exerts "coercive control" over the victim--or controls their behavior through manipulation or force. Those of us who have studied or experienced DV tend to recognize coercive control pretty quickly when we see it.

I strongly urge everyone to read this Mayo Clinic explainer on DV, especially if you think you know about DV based on your own opinions, but haven't read much solid research:
Recognize the signs of domestic violence against women

Thanks. It is also important to remember that the most dangerous time for a victim of domestic abuse is when they are trying to extract themself from the relationship. JMO

NCADV | National Coalition Against Domestic Violence

Photo shows person who looks like Brian Laundrie walking Florida street

Authorities are probing whether a cellphone photo taken Friday of a man cops say looks a “heck” of a lot like the boyfriend of missing Long Island woman Gabby Petito, is indeed Brian Laundrie, who disappeared this week after being named a person of interest in his girlfriend’s disappearance, The Post has learned.

The photo was snapped just before 5 p.m. Friday on Targee Ave in North Port — about two blocks from Laundrie’s parents’ home, metadata from the image reveals.

search-brian-laundrie.jpg

That is 100% him

THANK YOU! My husband strangled me. Threatened to definitely find me and kill me if I left. Guess what my biggest obstacle was? All the people who said what a terrific guy he was that he could never do such a thing as beat his wife and kids. People do not know what villains do behind closed doors. Or as my grandmother called them, street angels and house devils.
Powerful, powerful post.

This guy has got a lot a off questions to answer? running away is never a good look I hope they find him so he can answer these questions - This case as intrigued me the last day i am sort of late to it so got a lot of catching up to do on the threads

Question: As a not-gun person and not a resident of Florida, is it standard practice to keep your gun in your car if you have a license?
I'm curious about this, too. My husband is ex-military and we do have a gun as a result. I'm terrified of the thing and so we went to a firing range so I could take a gun safety class and learn how to fire it. As part of that, we also learned the various laws that govern gun purchasing, possession and ownership. In my state, it is very clear that the gun is supposed to be locked in a safe and not left lying around or in the trunk of a car (unless the car is equipped with a proper lock box).

Last edited:
There should be a petition to charge BL's parents with his disappearance and make them pay the total cost for the current ongoing search. After all why waste police and other resources for searching BL if they have been cooperative from the start?
Fortunately the constitution doesn't work that way.
We can't have protections for everyone, equally, if on a whim we decide to cancel them how we see fit.
(As a side note, this does happen: see Military Commissions Act of 2006) (edit link for non-download)

I'm new here and created an account so I can share my thoughts on Brian. Both he and Gabby seem like genuinely kind and good people. I'm especially focused on Brian right now because I feel very attuned to his energy and how he lives his life.

Brian seems gentle and grounded. He loves camping, painting and reading. He was sad to leave the plants at his parents' homes and told them they're his best friends. He was happy to bring some small succulents with them in their van. He does yoga and is handy with tools. He did considerable work preparing the van for their travels.

The comments about him here and especially on social media are disheartening. I've read everything you've read and understand things aren't looking good for Brian, but my heart is breaking for both of them.

Brian left his parents' home for one of two reason: It was made known to them the police were going to obtain a search or an arrest warrant, based on evidence that hasn't been disclosed to the public yet; or Brian was needing the comfort of what he loves the most: the trees and plants, fresh air and open space. To see all of those law enforcement officers pursing him in a search is terrifying. It just seems so contrary to who he is and how he thinks and sees the world around him.

The couple that picked up Brian when he was hitching a ride presumably back to Gabby and the van, didn't mention bruises or bloodied knuckles. That's because there wasn't anything to note about his physical appearance, other than his clothing. She did say it was odd how clean he was, but I've done extensive backpacking and never looked muddy. My gear was always clean and tidy, and I didn't smell. Also, Brian loves going barefoot, and he loves minimalism. As an experienced camper, it makes sense to me that he'd only bring a tarp and nothing hefty for a few days of camping along a river. This isn't at all a concern for me.

As for his confusion about the direction they were heading, he's not from that area. I think he got north and south mixed up and didn't realize Jackson Hole was in the wrong direction. He was experiencing some stress from whatever it was that happened that had him doing a solo trip away from Gabby for a few days. They were still telling people they're engaged, and the police introduced the idea of spending some time apart, and that's what he was doing. It's possible there's nothing of interest with any of this sighting other than the date for the sake of the timeline and his location.

The police camera footage did not leave me feeling as if Brian was cocky, as so many people have said. His body language was reflective of his personality. He's quiet and gentle in his mannerisms, shy and uncomfortable around people. He was shaking and scared. Gabby was experiencing a full breakdown from her anxiety. I suffer from anxiety and that's exactly how it can be. She was asked what she does for a living, and she said she's a nutritionist. She hesitated, probably because she was looking for something to describe her lifestyle and goals. I doubt she's a certified nutritionist. Her friend Rose said Gabby was working at Taco Bell last year and then a smoothie place. Taco Bell really surprised me. It's completely at odds with what she portrays on her social media accounts and in the video.

All this tells me is that Gabby is young and finding herself. It's not that she was being dishonest; it's more that 'nutritionist' is what made the most sense to her. It characterized maybe her goals and also her lifestyle. She also said they don't drink, but she met Rose at a bar once. I tend to say I don't drink, but a few times a year I'll buy a bottle of wine. So I don't feel she was being dishonest with this either. It's again more of a response that speaks to the overall picture of who she feels she is and how they're living their lives.

Brian has been described as controlling. I have a lot to say about that and feel I'm understanding him and what motivates the decisions he makes. But for now I'd just like to bring some compassion and concern to this young man, who I think is frequently misunderstood. Regardless of the outcome of this case, I am genuinely heartbroken for both Gabby and Brian. He just doesn't resonate with me as someone who harmed Gabby. Please note that I didn't say or imply he's incapable of harming her. I think we are all capable of doing something sudden and unexpected.

But what I'm sensing here is something very dark that is turning against Brian and strengthening. I think his silence was his only hope of protection, and his legal right, and it seems it's all beginning to fall apart. I am praying for Gabby's safe return, and I'm also praying for Brian. Thank you for reading this.

AMEN to this heartfelt and well written post. I agree 100% and will add that imho there is possible schizophrenia here- possibly undiagnosed. At the least there is schizotypal disorder. These things are hereditary and at least one parent could also suffer this and be completely clueless about their own illness. Let’s have some compassion and much less harsh judgement. All my own conjecture.

Photo shows person who looks like Brian Laundrie walking Florida street

Authorities are probing whether a cellphone photo taken Friday of a man cops say looks a “heck” of a lot like the boyfriend of missing Long Island woman Gabby Petito, is indeed Brian Laundrie, who disappeared this week after being named a person of interest in his girlfriend’s disappearance, The Post has learned.

The photo was snapped just before 5 p.m. Friday on Targee Ave in North Port — about two blocks from Laundrie’s parents’ home, metadata from the image reveals.

search-brian-laundrie.jpg
BL doesn't have a tattoo on his left elbow.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 4.43.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 4.43.15 PM.png
    670.4 KB · Views: 74
There are several other mental health conditions that have that same trait (not taking responsibility). I can think of about 10 or 12 just off the top of my head.

But it has become a huge thing in US culture to proclaim every person who is acting suspiciously to be a narcissist.

Could be. But I think the term is way over used and leads us away from understanding criminal or victim behavior.

Also, amateurs who diagnose mental illnesses without any academic credentials or professional certifications do more harm than good IMO.

I can think of one very good reason fir a parent to want to protect their child - Florida has the death penalty - however if the murder occurred in WY or UT- wouldn’t those laws apply? What is the jurisdiction hypothetically?

THIS, THIS, THIS

If she is determined to be deceased in the state of Wyoming, or Idaho, her death is investigated there and anyone accused of the crime is arraigned and charged there, not in Florida.

YES, Both Wyoming and Idaho are death penalty states.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member