Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i understand that some are saying that the police failed Gabby but....and I say this with a lot of knowledge in this department....everyone failed her if you want to be technical about it, everyone and noone. Her parents knew her better then those officers and they didnt know he was abusive, her friends knew her, she covered it up really good judging by her many pictures and posts on social media. I don now what the police could have really done to stop her from being with him. Have you ever tried to make a young girl stay away from their boyfriend?

I would agree with this and just mention that most police officers don’t really receive in-depth or extensive training on how to detect/handle a lot of issues like this. They generally aren’t trained as social workers or mental health professionals. As police officers, there is only so much they can do and actually, in this case they did a pretty decent job compared to what would have been done/not done in other cities around the country.

In hindsight, I’m sure they wish they did more, we all do. But there’s only so much they can do in their capacity and training as law enforcement.

Meghan McRoberts
@MeghanWPTV

We’ve obtained a copy of the search warrant that states police need to look through an external hard drive found in a mustang at Brian laundries home and texts where gabby indicated growing tensions with Brian in conversations with her mom and sent unusual texts starting aug 27

<modsnip: Attachments removed until such time as personal contact info is redacted from warrant>

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I the only one who watched the footage and thought that the LEOs were courteous and fair to both Brian and Gabby? Really, I think they went over and above to help by seperating them and arranging the hotel accommodation. They seemed impartial to me.

That certainly wouldn't happen here in the UK, IMO.

I think we also need to remember that BL had visible injuries and scratches, and he stated that when they're having an argument he tries to "put distance between them".

As a woman, I guess I sometimes wonder how a man is supposed to react when they're in an enclosed space where they can't put distance between themselves and their partner (like a van) and they are being physically attacked by them. They can't retaliate physically (even though this would be seen as somehow more acceptable if it was a man attacking a man). Words can't always placate a person's anger, and there's no escape if you're in a moving vehicle.

I feel the van was like a tinderbox and they were both struggling to deal with each other in a confined space.

At this stage, there is no evidence to suggest that BL has ever been physically violent to GP, other than her saying he grabbed her chin (but I believe she said in the DV police stop that this was when they were having the argument and she was slapping him).

We can't automatically assume that GP's death (if it was at the hands of BL) was the final act in a series of misogynistic DV episodes. Naturally, men are usually stronger than women, so is it possible that he could have killed her in an act of self defence?

MOO

The 911 caller reported that they witnessed BL slapping GP - that is evidence of assault. IMO not for the first time. I don't believe for a second that he killed her in self defence - imo he lost the rag for a petty reason and strangled her.

I think the reporter stated the text read 'have you been able to reach Stan? I'm having trouble reaching him.' I got the impression that contacting Stan wasn't something typical for GP to do.

This struck me as a 'cry for help', like my teens have a 'safe word' in case they are in a jam and need me to get to them. Gabby was in fear and was trying to alert her mother by texting something her mom would understand, but wasn't the usual way of doing it? JMHO

Sorry if this is old and been covered, but I downloaded the Bethune video to watch it frame, by frame, to look at the open door speculation. There are quite a few missing frames - the van is in the distance, and then a chunk of video is missing, and they are on top of it. Wonder if that was a glitch in the camera, or if it has been otherwise explained?

As for the door, it's impossible to tell, because there is a black artifact that moves around, but often is over the van. Looks like there's water or tree sap on the Bethune windshield that's right in the camera's line of the sight.

It sounds like you might be watching their original 1080p upload, with a voiceover commentary. If so, try downloading their subsequent upload of the raw 2K footage and seeing what you think, or have a watch of this guy’s video, where he has zoomed in and slowed down the 2K version to show the door pretty clearly (IMO)

Last edited:
Who programs their phones with "grandpa"? Or Stan? If Gabby never called him Stan, and someone typed Stan, it wouldn't auto-correct, it would send "Stan" on my phone (which is an iPhone, very similar to Gabby's).

If a person uses "grandpa" frequently, the auto-correct choices will show that - it takes no "programming." But if someone else grabs the phone and tries to message "Stan," there's no way the phone knows to correct that to "Grandpa." IMO

Obviously, Gabby's mom was right - someone else was using her phone. Someone named Brian. He thinks he's in Yosemite (when in fact he's either near the Tetons or en route back to FL) and he forgets to call Grandpa "grandpa" because he has never paid any attention to what Gabby says or does on her phone and doesn't plan to start.

Indeed, I think he is one of those guys who is enamored of someone's looks, but is in no way ready to be in an adult relationships (it's fun to pretend, though) and who is very very happy that he has a "girlfriend" at all.
bbm
Knowing what we do so far ... I don't think he deserved Gabby.
Imo.

One thing that did strike me about the body cam footage was the officer walking off, past the vehicle Gabby was in, then turning around to go back and ask BL if he was on any medications and whether he was always this hyper, which made me wonder if he was questioning his story.

As far as the conversation being inappropriate or unprofessional, I thought that maybe they were attempting to be more relatable in an effort to get either GP or BL to open up about anything they weren't saying.

He (LE) did mention in the car that his wife was on medication for anxiety that she had to take every day, so it might be him asking because he is wondering if BL needs to take his meds, like he was recognizing a little mania or something. It also seemed like he was trying to gather more information before explaining the laws he HAS to follow, so maybe UT has a law or provision relating to mental illness and medication that he wanted to consider

Since we've been given the go ahead to talk about the situation in Alabama, I have been watching the live stream. They found a body behind a dumpster near the Walmart there ("Tillman Corners"). They took pictures & transported the person away.

MSM had reported they were in town today checking out reports BL had been seen there.

I hope that person behind the dumpster didn’t confront Brian… IMO

I think they should have had a woman police officer at the stop to interview Gabby. I am intimidated by male police officers as a petite blonde woman myself and I know for certain I would clam up and tremble just as she did.

As sad as I am to see this outcome, I can predict that any woman (or person) who has ever been abused could have predicted it. That 911 call was hard to listen to. The police failed Gabby.
There was a police woman there. She was at the car with her the entire time. I'm sure they talked, but I've not seen anything released about their conversation.

How in the world did the dispatchers/police fail her so spectacularly?!?
IMO it’s a massive gap in the system, lack of proper training in the areas of DV and mental health. There was obviously some other breakdown in the communication between dispatch & responding officers, not sure what that was about, but I’m thinking Moab LE will address it publicly very soon. JMO.

I tend to see "failed" as short hand for "more could have been done." It's not so much the end result, but the missed opportunities. Clearly, there was a breakdown in communication somewhere between the witness calling 911 and the officers that stopped GP & BL. (more one this below) If the information was relayed as it was received, maybe Brian is arrested? maybe Gabby is connected with a social worker? maybe her dad flies out to pick her up? Maybe that does change the outcome. Maybe she does go back to him and we get this result weeks or months from now, but we have to try.

As I understand it, there were two witnesses to their altercation. One that was driving by (the 911 caller that saw BL hit GP) and another that was at the coffee shop (saw GP being aggressive with BL). One of the police officers stopped at the coffee shop and collected the phone # of the witness before heading to the scene. (documented in the police report) We see the cops calling this witness on the body cam video and that witness relays an account that points to GP as the aggressor. Unfortunately, the 911 caller's account was not part of the information used to make decisions.

How do you know they didn't do this? Clearly, LE takes him back into town for the motel room paid for by Safe Have (or whatever it is called there). He is getting a night paid for by that charity. Surely they have to document the DV and how do you know they didn't give him that paperwork as they were checking him in?

I'm sure they didn't tell him to walk on a busy highway the 5-6 miles back into Moab...
Because they didn't say they were giving both of them paperwork.

We need to see that second report. Has it been released? If not, why not?
I know of no second report. The original report released a few days ago has a narrative by Eric Pratt on 8/13 and it says, "I believe it was reported that the man assaulted the female." His uncertainty refers to his memory of what was said about the call, not that the caller was uncertain.

https://twitter.com/BrianEntin/status/1438214030271950857

Meghan McRoberts
@MeghanWPTV

We’ve obtained a copy of the search warrant that states police need to look through an external hard drive found in a mustang at Brian laundries home and texts where gabby indicated growing tensions with Brian in conversations with her mom and sent unusual texts starting aug 27

<modsnip: Attachments removed until such time as personal contact info is redacted from warrant>
This indicates the last communication was the Aug. 27th text. Nothing about one on Aug. 30th. Hmm

Last edited by a moderator:
How in the world did the dispatchers/police fail her so spectacularly?!?
IMO it’s a massive gap in the system, lack of proper training in the areas of DV and mental health. There was obviously some MAJOR breakdown in the communication between dispatch & responding officers, not sure what that was about, but I’m thinking Moab LE will address it publicly very soon. JMO.

Eyewit
Am I the only one who watched the footage and thought that the LEOs were courteous and fair to both Brian and Gabby? Really, I think they went over and above to help by seperating them and arranging the hotel accommodation. They seemed impartial to me.

That certainly wouldn't happen here in the UK, IMO.

I think we also need to remember that BL had visible injuries and scratches, and he stated that when they're having an argument he tries to "put distance between them".

As a woman, I guess I sometimes wonder how a man is supposed to react when they're in an enclosed space where they can't put distance between themselves and their partner (like a van) and they are being physically attacked by them. They can't retaliate physically (even though this would be seen as somehow more acceptable if it was a man attacking a man). Words can't always placate a person's anger, and there's no escape if you're in a moving vehicle.

I feel the van was like a tinderbox and they were both struggling to deal with each other in a confined space.

At this stage, there is no evidence to suggest that BL has ever been physically violent to GP, other than her saying he grabbed her chin (but I believe she said in the DV police stop that this was when they were having the argument and she was slapping him).

We can't automatically assume that GP's death (if it was at the hands of BL) was the final act in a series of misogynistic DV episodes. Naturally, men are usually stronger than women, so is it possible that he could have killed her in an act of self defence?

MOO
Eyewitness account by disinterested stranger of his slapping and hitting her - right out in public.

Ultimately, BL is the only one who is to blame. If she had no visible marks and he did, they were placed in a difficult position, despite the witness account, I guess. I do wish she had been arrested, however, if they believed that was their only choice. Because it may have caused her to realize the ramifications of being in an abusive relationship. And possibly allowed her to get the hell out. Finally, if he had been hitting her first, she could have used self-defense as a defense to any charge.

I hate the what ifs.

Sorry...another IF:

If anything, this case shows how difficult it is for LE to deal with DV issues.... Brian had more marks on him from Gabby, and Gabby admitted she hit him. Neither wanted to be separated....watching the video I thought Gabby was the one out of control. BUT, I did think it would escalate. DV usually does. DV can be a two way street. LE knows this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy4