Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. The morning of September 1. I had been assuming it was late evening. That does make a tight timeline for getting back from WY. And I'm even more anxious to get info on where that August 30 text pinged from.

Remember, 36 hours is 3 half days....driving 12 hours a day.
If he was driving say 15 hours a day, and the rest for sleep, bathroom stops, food etc., it can certainly be done.

(I made the same mistake earlier....thinking 3 days =36 hours.)

According to the North Port Police search warrant signed by judge, detectives sought to examine an external hard drive found in Gabby Petito's white Ford van recovered at Brian Laundrie's family home.
https://twitter.com/wflajustin/status/1440046654124539904?s=21
https://twitter.com/wflajustin/status/1440046654124539904?s=21

The warrant (which was signed Sept. 15) notes that Gabby’s “cellphone has been turned off for approximately 15 days” which would mean it was last turned on around Aug. 31/Sept. 1.

https://twitter.com/wflajustin/status/1440046657417072649?s=21

Would the license plate reader have been able to see who was driving the van on Sept. 1st?

No, because I think they are cameras that only scan for numbers and letters on the rear/front of the car. They are focussed on a different place.

However, some places might have general CCTV cameras in the same areas too.

But automatic license plate readers only scan and ping licence plates.

I'm wondering if we should also stop playing armchair psychologists, body language experts, behavioural analysts etc.

Unless of course we have any verified experts in here. Anyone?

I am quite certain that there are many people here with experience with the dynamics between abusers and victims, as well as into how abuse and co-dependency tend to play out, both internally and externally.

In this report it states, "no one reported that the male struck the female"

He spoke with Chris, Brian and Gabby and they all gave the same story
I guess shoving someone's face in, so hard that it hurts 2 hours later and leaves marks is not = "struck". Got it. They should re-word that "No one that we bothered to talk to........."

I would agree with this and just mention that most policeofficers don’t really receive in-depth or extensive training on how to detect/handle a lot of issues like this. They generally aren’t trained as social workers or mental health professionals. As police officers, there is only so much they can do and actually, in this case they did a pretty decent job compared to what would have been done/not done in other cities around the country.

In hindsight, I’m sure they wish they did more, we all do. But there’s only so much they can do in their capacity and training as law enforcement.
When something is beyond your scope of experience or training you need to call for additional help. Note in the report that this incident was determined to be a "mental health crisis". So, at least that was recognized. But, Gabby was not offered assistance. We don't know if she would have accepted assistance, but many people do when it's offered and available to them at a time of "crisis".

So, depending on the results of the autopsy, tomorrow could be a massive game changer. If Brian becomes a suspect, he will be a fugitive on the run. The pressure on his parents will significantly increase too.

Depending on how quickly they can get information off the computers, again, his parents will be potentially under yet more pressure, particularly if it's discovered Brian never made it back to Florida.

One or both parents could have met him en route, including Alabama and driven the van the rest of the way home. On the PC could be hire car bookings, route planners, accommodation booked, money tranfers etc.

I will be very interested to discover how much his parents knew, because I find it difficult to imagine that he could have essentially vanished off the face of the earth (unless he's in Alabama) without a fair amount of help. Alabama is also near enough for contact to potentially be made between them.

Has this been confirmed. It also was around the time they stated they now had access to phone location data. I'm just wondering if the youtubers info helped support what they were already looking into or it was solely the lead that found her location. Maybe @MassGuy will know. I've been trying to figure this out since it came out
Bethune's called FBI at 1AM according to their statements. She was located several hours later on that same day only a thousand feet or so from where that van was in the video. I am willing to guess they are the reason she was found so quickly.

The search warrant was signed to allow detectives from the North Port Police Department to examine an external hard drive currently located at the North Port Police Department’s evidence locker. On Sept. 17, Brian Laundrie, Petito’s fiancé, was reported missing and agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation removed items from the home to help search for him.

In the warrant, police were given authority to search “any and all external storage device(s), commercial software and hardware, computer disks, disk drives, tape drives, disk application programs, data disks, system disk operating systems, electronic mail, system storage devices, tape systems and hard drive and other computer-related operation equipment, in addition to computer photographs, graphic interchange formats and/or photographs, or other visual depictions.”

Additionally, the warrant gives police access to any digital documents, notes, passwords, encryptions or data security devices which might keep them from accessing the hardware, software, or data on the devices, as well as all data and files associated with the external device.

This includes data files, password-protected files, images, texts, files that show emails, text messages, and internet browsing history as well as computer files showing who owned, possessed or used the computers, and storage devices to include but not limited to email associated files.

The warrant said that there was probable cause for issuance as a result of the item potentially containing evidence that a felony had been committed. In the affidavit submitted by North Port detectives, a timeline of Petito and Laundrie’s trip and the video journey they had taken together across social media platforms were detailed.
Gabby Petito investigation: North Port police search warrant provides new details | WFLA
This helps, thank you.
I wonder why he left that HD in the van. Seems odd, I was thinking he would have cleared everything out of there. Maybe there was more in there than I'm thinking.

In this report it states, "no one reported that the male struck the female"

He spoke with Chris, Brian and Gabby and they all gave the same story

Also, LE knows that sometime eye witnesses have conflicting stories. So, they could not completely count on the phone call they got when three other people recounted a different account. Also, physical evidence supported Chris, Brain and Gabby.

Unfortunately, it does not prove that BL was the driver. Unlike what you might see on CSI/NCIS/etc, these license plate readers do not normally create images with a high enough clarity to be able to see the driver in great detail.

However, if the area between the exit and BL's parent's home has intersection cameras or any type of cameras that face the road (private or police), they may be able to find footage since they know the exact time he passed the exit. I think the intersection cameras take a wider view of the intersection, so they may be able to get shots of the driver.

Edited to clarify the cameras I am talking about.

Last edited:
It's not this simple sadly and I really wish people would stop boiling DV down to this black and white thing where it's apparently incredibly obvious from the traffic stop she was a victim of DV, it's incredibly easy to say now with hindsight.

My mother was abusive verbally and physically to both myself and my dad for a period of years. I saw my dad covering for her when asked questions by the Police and he acted far more like BL when asked questions than Gabby. Slightly awkward, wanting to play it down, minimise it and almost make light of the situation. My mother was infact the one more likely to turn on the water works and say she'd got a bit worked up because of her mental illness as a way to down play she'd gone bat **** with her fists.

Just because someone is upset and emotional when stopped by the Police doesn't mean they are necessarily the victim. Just because someone comes across as awkward and odd doesn't make them the perpetrator.

DV perpetrators and victims come in many different flavours. If it was as fundementally simple as some seem to make it out on here, it wouldn't be a problem anymore.

And yet Gabby is the one who is dead, and not BL. Please don’t suggest she drove him to it. He could have left any time he wanted. As a matter of fact, he did-as soon as she was dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you listened to the 911 call?

Yes, I've stated that numerous times. However, that 911 call was just released TODAY. That 911 call does not gel with the police reports NOR the uncut bodycam footage of the stop. In all of the reports and in the video, they clearly stated numerous times that Gabby was the aggressor and she could be charged with DV

How did a 911 call which CLEARLY stated the male was abusing the female turn into what we saw on the video and the reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18