Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's possible too. Maybe someone with better editing skills can, clean, it up and zoom in like the van video. Sorry for all the commas I have a crack in my screen.

I don't think it matters at that point. If it requires editing and reviewing video then it was never going to be an effective way to signal for help.

I live in the area and have actually gone on nature walks (I wouldn't really call it a "hike" in Florida because it's all flat) in the Myakkahatchee Creek Park and Carlton Reserve (from the Venice entrance where they entered for the search today). It is a nice park with lots of nature to see, lots of trails. My husband used to be an avid birdwatcher so there were lots of birds out there. I wouldn't really describe it as "riddled with gators" but I also didn't visit while it was mostly flooded as it is now. That just takes the gators from the concentrated areas of water and disperses them. And also gators just don't attack anything that goes by. Generally if you leave them alone they will leave you alone. It really isn't as terrifying as people make it out to be to be out there.

I have enjoyed looking at the photos and stuff on this website: (ETA: this is the website for the Reserve. It just has their top headline as the link for some reason and I’m not sure how to fix it). Staff has notified us that effective Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2021, the Carlton Reserve is closed until further notice. Recreational opportunities are available at nearby preserves.

It looks like when it isn’t flooded it is pretty awesome.

Snakes and gators aren't nearly as dangerous as the media portays them and there are ways to safely hike in areas they occur.

Source: a wildlife photographer who literally catches venomous snakes for photography ;)
Of course this is true, and I myself have gone hiking the trails of the Carlton Reserve (it's been a few years now since I've visited). They have trails for a reason, after all -- visitors are welcome! The issue is the supposition that BL has been there for several days and nights, on the run from authorities. He's not out there for some good macro shots of the dragonflies -- he's for all intents and purposes a fugitive, in all but name. Trying to remain undetected in the preserve all this time would not be something you could undertake without considerable survival skills, and more likely a LOT of help from some other party/parties. How much food and more importantly water could he reasonably be carrying in that wilderness, on his own, without help, while evading the search parties of professional LEs?

Omg.
If you look at the YouTube of the van bloggers who found the van in their video.
It looks like there’s a hand gun on the books on the floor at side of the sandals.
Holy crap!

I apologise if you cannot post this, will someone let me know if your not allowed and I will delete right away.

Thanks.

Attachments

• E92387E1-67F1-40B2-B006-373F15609CCD.jpeg
    E92387E1-67F1-40B2-B006-373F15609CCD.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 375
I have never seen a thread or a case move so fast! I keep thinking about how Gabby lived with this family for 2 years. Wouldn’t they love her like a daughter? It’s not a huge house where they were away in some wing. It blows my mind & really makes me wonder about the dynamics in there. Poor Gabby. I hope we get some answers today.

Has there been any speculation or evidence whether she died at the creek, or if he carried her there to hide the body? Seems like a long way to carry someone.

Someone posted earlier that the roof cargo bag is missing from the youtubers video. It would be much easier to drag a body in a cargo bag across that terrain as opposed to carrying someone or dragging them without the bag.

Can they use infrared or something similar to find a person in the woods they are looking in? I would assume this would be an easier way.
Yes, it’s fairly certain that the FBI will employ such technology, because it certainly increases their chance of success.

If he were a true survivalist he'd be fine. After all there's nothing better than a pot of alligator soup followed up with a plate of python pâté for dessert.

I don't see him as having common sense, so any survivalist instincts would be far down the list from that. If he really didn't want to be found, I think he'd have skipped the bike rides, got some cash from Mommy, & headed to a no extradition country before anyone had the slightest clue G was gone. So that's why I think he was in denial even with himself. Then when G's parents started ringing up, he said oops, gotta go.

Another poster mentioned that it looks like the stone cross has been there a while because of the indentations in the sand beneath the rocks. In this photo you can also see that leaves are stuck under the rocks which also supports the idea that the cross at some point was in flowing water.
Gabby Petito memorial found where body was discovered
petito-cross03.jpg
Maybe the leaves blew in there after it was erected?

For a̶r̶g̶u̶m̶e̶n̶t̶'̶s̶ discussion's sake, I tried to make this photo of Brian as crappy as the trail cam footage. I personally don't think it's him because the nose appears turned up, the ears look smaller and his facial hair doesn't appear as prominent. Brian also has a pretty significant amount of dark arm hair that I would imagine could appear darker on the trail cam. I also don't see him carrying his backpack on one shoulder like he's going to high school - I think he'd go with the two-shoulder approach, especially if he was doing a major hike like all the way from North Port to Baker, FL.

What do you guys think?
It's tricky because his head and stance are at different angles in the 2 pics. That can alter the way the nose and ears appear. I think the fact that it's the same backpack is interesting, also that he's still in Florida, which if he's walking seems reasonable. I'm guessing the FBI has pretty good equipment to evaluate the photos though.

Yes, that's exactly what my dad was suggesting.
Mutilating himself to make it LOOK as if he'd been eaten so that he could remain on the run with everyone pretty much throwing up their hands and saying that he was dead because of the finger or whatever they'd come across.
It was just a theory much like all the other ones currently being thrown around on here.
I just thought it was interesting and worth noting.
Yes, he wouldn't blend in but he's also not exactly smart given that he, IMO, texted GP mom and called her grandfather by his first name and also returned to his mom and dad's house in the van without GP and also took off, again, when the heat was turned up on him.
He gets points for creativity. I did go to college with a girl who cut off her thumb on purpose to try to win back a boyfriend, so I suppose stranger things have happened!

Omg.
If you look at the YouTube of the van bloggers who found the van in their video.
It looks like there’s a hand gun on the books on the floor at side of the sandals.
Holy crap!

I apologise if you cannot post this, will someone let me know if your not allowed and I will delete right away.

Thanks.

That's a good catch. It certainly does look like a gun.

Can someone provide a link to the map which shows where GP's body was found in relation to the campsite they were in and the area generally? I searched for maps and there are lots of posts.... TIA
Google Map

It was <1000 feet from where their van was spotted in the YouTuber's dashcam video.

Attachments

• map5.png
    map5.png
    906.6 KB · Views: 80
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics