Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #26

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
None of that matters. Legally, he stole her van and her belongings.
I know this won't be the last time this has to be said but it would be nearly impossible to convict BL for theft of the van. Prosecutors would have the burden of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that (a) BL did not have permission to have the van AND (b) that, even if he didn't actually have permission, he didn't mistakenly believe that he had permission AND (c) that he intended to permanently deprive GP or her estate of possession of the van. Given the facts that we know, that would be extremely difficult to prove. More to the point no prosecutor in their right mind is going to pollute a potential capital murder case that, in all likelihood, will be based on circumstantial evidence, by also taking the time and burning credibility capital with the jury to convince them of a much shakier case of auto theft that at best may tack on a few months prison time and a monetary penalty.
So even though it may be offensive that BL drove her van home after killing her, that doesn't "legally" appear to constitute auto theft and the bigger picture of his killing her, if he did, makes talking about theft of the van pointless and almost offensive in itself.

I know police are permitted to lie to suspects during an interrogation if they think it will help their case, so to speak. But when police (or was it lawyers?) definitely stated that the guy who resembled Brian was not Brian, could they have been lying in order to trick Brian n

Joe Murray, former cop and now attorney, is one of three law enforcement professionals who host a podcast called, "Police off the Cuff." Murray said you cannot hold him/arrest him for being in possession of her van since he and Gabby lived together, were boyfriend and girlfriend (or "engaged," as some news outlets are still referring to them, although it is not true, per Nichole Schmidt, Gabby's mother). Murray also said that Laundrie can't be arrested for having the van because Gabby is not here to say whether she gave him express permission to drive the vehicle and that she and Brian might have had an informal or formal agreement that it was their van to share.
OKAAAY,
BUT he was in possession of a van belonging to a missing person and it was an ongoing search... and her father had made a complaint...
What then?
They have it now.

Was that not the 29th ?
I'm asking 'cos all the numbers are a jumble in my head and I've mixed up all the utubers' names again now.. or tiktokers or whatever they were?

Schultz, a 38-year-old graphic designer, was camping with friends and said she noticed a van that seemed out of place on Aug. 26 and Aug. 27. She also saw a "generic" young white man she believes was Laundrie.

"You know, when you're out in the middle of nowhere, your hackles go up when you see something that's out of the ordinary," Schultz told the paper.

In her TikTok video, she says the man she believes was Laundrie "was very awkward and confused and it was just him — there was no Gabby."

Witness Says She Saw Brian Laundrie Alone and 'Acting Weird' Near Where Gabby Petito's Body Was Found

And when they are pulling into a "wild" campground, both people would be excited and looking around to choose a place. I can see sleeping in the back, even with no windows on a long haul on the freeway. Maybe she was just "sick" from some physical abuse, and staying in the back, voluntarily or not. And then on the night between 26-27 he finished her off, and took time to get her out of there under a few short hours of darkness? Or even walked her out there if she was groggy and hurt, then completed it out there. (Still not believing the restaurant story on the 27th, but open to seeing proof)
I don’t think Gabby would have EVER settled for THAT SPOT as a place to “camp”. There was nothig good about it…..

We better hope to God they have a strong forensic case. If the evidence is primarily circumstantial and his attorney chooses the right jury, he could walk. We've seen it before. I'm afraid he will try to excuse his behavior as the trauma of a 23-year-old who accidentally killed his girlfriend in self-defense. (Remember, the cops gave him the free hotel room.) If they can make that case, the bizarre timelines, and camping trips and parents and swamp-hiding may not matter.
I think this is why the FBI is not giving updates or holding pressers. The more that gets out, the more the public will know - which would make finding a fair jury (for both sides) very difficult.

IMO, the van ownership is important in that BL well knew who owned that van. Not him. And he took the van and drove back to Florida in HER van leaving her in Wyoming. Hard to believe that she’d give him permission to take that van and take it back to his parents’ place without her. That, to me, is an important piece of evidence, though circumstantial that BL knew that GP was NOT going to go after him about taking the van. She was dead.

The more I follow this case, the more I'm starting to think that the reason the Law Enforcement hasn't issued a warning to the public about a potential danger, the reason the parents aren't on the news pleading for his return, and the reason they keep scouring the same area is that a suicide note was left, the parents are actually cooperating, and the suspect is deceased.

*edited for clarification*

The above is just pure speculation on my part. Apologies for any confusion for facts.
I also think that it is more than likely that he has taken his own life, and I think LE believes that too.

My speculation: she was running away from him, he caught up with her, and killed her on the spot. No moving the body was necessary. I'm not sure, in this case, whether the bridge detail would be important.

Me too. And I think this is where he wondered around a few days literally not knowing what to do and how he ended up in Colture Bay.

My husband and I had a lively discussion tonight. He thinks GP was killed in the van and driven to the location where she was found. He also thinks BL is alive and on the run or hiding. I, however, think she was killed outside. Who would kill someone in a car, possibly leaving death evidence, then drive that car back home? And I think BL is dead, likely in/around the preserve. Hmm.

I agree with you, so, for the record, you win ;).

Oh but LE knows now she was dead and he stole her van. They can and probably will tack on auto theft charges and theft of her possessions. And if he used her credit or debit cards after she died he can be charged with that too.
Good. "I took her van because she left," doesn't wash either.

I dont think it was the TikTok girl. It was this other girl and not the Bethune girl either. This other girl showed up after the Bethune disclosure.
No, it was Jessica Schultz on TikTok that said it. I just watched it to make sure. She even said that she wasn't sure at first but after she saw the Bethune video, she knew it was him because it was the same exact location. It makes absolutely no sense that both of these events are true on the dates stated.

I’m seeing posts about BL and his family going camping while he flew home and the theory that they were setting up a place for him to go. She was alive when he flew home which would mean we are suppose to believe BL told his parents that he was going back to kill her and they made plans then for what to do when he got back. This seems a little silly.
No, it was not when he flew home. It was after he arrived home in her van. The Labor Day weekend.

Honestly an insanity plea would have been his best defense if there's witnesses that GP said that and I bet his parents witnessed the behavior as well. You don't live with someone that long and not notice, especially your own child.

Agreed, if he has a history of hearing voices and can be diagnosed with schizophrenia, I think the best defense would have been a psychotic break - as soon as he got back his lawyer could have tried to make a deal with prosecutors that he will disclose where he last "remembers" seeing Gabby in exchange for them agreeing to not file murder 1 charges no matter what they find. Given the expansive ground they covered in the van, if you could show some evidence of mental illness, they may have considered it. The state/feds may have said no way but you wouldn't be any worse off since you didn't give them any information yet.

That's why it has been so perplexing to me how it shook out.

One of the theories (and this is all speculation) that’s been floating around is that he went on a hike to create an alibi for himself/clear his head and then wanted to hitchhike as close to the van as possible so he offered $200 because he was desperate to get back. Then, when he realizes they are driving down the road that goes away from Spread Creek rather than towards it, he freaks out and asks to get out of the vehicle.
Here's what I'm not understanding: dog lady says the van is parked at Spread Creek on the 28th, but gone by the 29th. If we believe the tiktok story about him hitchhiking late day on the 29th, then where was the van?

Also, he wanted to go to Jackson, so what difference would it make if tiktok said they were going to Jackson Hole? Jackson is in the Jackson Hole valley, isn't it?

Forensics for the most part IS circumstantial. Most evidence of any kind is.

I'm sure you're right, everything is somehow part of a circumstance, or happens within a circumstance. However, an injury that could not be written off as an accident would be very helpful.

My husband and I had a lively discussion tonight. He thinks GP was killed in the van and driven to the location where she was found. He also thinks BL is alive and on the run or hiding. I, however, think she was killed outside. Who would kill someone in a car, possibly leaving death evidence, then drive that car back home? And I think BL is dead, likely in/around the preserve. Hmm.

I think if LE found evidence of a dead body in the van they would have had search and arrest warrants on 9/12. I don't know how well you'd have to clean it to completely eliminate any evidence but he did have 11 days so who knows.

It seems to me that the FBI doesn't want to make BL a suspect. And, why would they want to charge him with something like auto theft and have to Mirandize him if they find him alive? I'm guessing they would prefer to play like they are the rescuers with the hope that he will feel relieved and TALK! They would give him towels and drinks and food and establish rapport. This is not their first rodeo. MOO

i wish we could go away from this narrative: they were in a long-term relationship. They BOTH worked on the van. They BOTH put money and sweat into it because they lived together and (IM ASSUMING) pooled resources like almost every other couple does, especially when you’re young and broke. They BOTH drove it. They BOTH lived in it. This isn’t a casual friendship where he stole the keys and took off. My husband and I have cars in each of our names but they’re OUR cars. We’d never say “don’t drive my car, it’s mine.” We are so hyper focused on him stealing her car when it’s clear it was theirs; regardless of the title.
They were boyfriend/girlfriend period. It really doesn't matter that he helped her remodel the van, doesn't matter that he drove it, doesn't matter that they were even living together, really doesn't matter. It was her van, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela