Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it been established that the LE does in fact have an ex-wife?

Referencing an ex-wife, even if he doesn't have one (LE can lie to get a confession), was IMO a tactic for the officer to quickly 'bond' with BL, over a shared experience.

It is not proof that the officer is a misogynist, shows males favoritism, or was derelict in his duty.
Well I think he did say ex wife, but I could be wrong. And IIRC the part I'm referring to is after it was all said and done, as the policeman drove off with BL. They had already bonded with him.

Either of these scenarios could be true!
It could also be that they have found items of interest somewhere in the swamp that are not in the form of remains- and maybe they want to test to see if he has actually been out there?

AMOO MOO JMO

It would likely be considered reckless driving.
If you add to that a charge DV, it isn't crazy to think someone would be arrested until someone bailed them out.

AMOO JMO MOO
There was no “DV” charge was there?

So the investigating officers should have used the information given to them by dispatch to arrest BL for DV regardless of any other contradictory evidence they obtained later on?

Gabby Petito case: Dispatch recordings show Utah police were told male struck female

Did someone here say that? That the officers should've ignored all other info and just arrest him?
I do think it would've been wise for the officers to take that report heavily into consideration when dealing with the couple.

Book him for speeding and talk to him about hitting women, disregarding all his talk of her craziness, her little blog, her disobedience to him etc, all that nonsense, and concentrate on the issues of law violation... even in Moab, or where ever the slapping round took place, it cannot be a city statute that a bloke can whop a woman a few times , and casually drive ( speed ) away, surely>>??

Apparently in Utah it's completely acceptable, as long as the woman says she has OCD and is behaving in a "manic" way (crying). That makes the boyfriend's obvious patience with her so admirable. So let's not give him a ticket today, he's been through so much putting up with her fingernails and sobbing. [/sarcasm]

Well.. :D... I really hadn't seen that. .. Coming from a different culture, where it's almost a rite of passage for men to smack a few women around, that perspective had escaped me, but I do pay tribute to it, it may very well have been, but added up with all the other stuff that those coppers did not take on board, it shines brightly as the only rational part among a lot of rubbish.

Brian himself did not appear at any time in that event to be at all discombobulated.. He was totally in control, and she was exhaustedly not . He had done the slapping and the speeding and hitting the kerb, that got them both standing in front of 2 large law officers.

But Brian.. long practiced in inserting his perspective first, he launched straight into Gabby's problem, she launched straight into Gabby's problem, he had to warn the officers quickly and effectively against the tide in case they were swayed by her gender, her beauty, her distress.. He has to quickly label her as craaaazy, in a delicate way, silly, slightly stupid, and giving the overall impression that it is HIS trip, HIS van His schedule, His finances, etc..

What Brian was, he was still in his euphoria from hitting her., It had probably built up for some days, ( he said they'd had a lovely morning, what does that mean in these circumstances?? did she have a lovely morning?? ) but to really have a lovely morning he had to slap her around. That crowned off his 'lovely morning'...

That is why he was so relaxed, and cool and coherent .. and why she was not.
Well spoke!

The thin blue line shouldn't be expected to solve all of society's problems. They already don't get paid enough for what they do.
Agreed. Only they need to be more careful about being on the right side of justice when they are involved in one of "society's problems." You can be pro-LE and still demand review of a call with the goal being systemic improvement. Change for the better has to start somewhere.

These particular male officers should be willing to hold themselves accountable to learn and grow for the benefit of the next DV call they have to carefully parse. Their job is tough. That doesn't mean all their decisions are unassailable. Don't become a cop if you don't want to have to justify your actions & learn from your mistakes. That is part of the job.
MOO

I'm not that poster, but go ahead and watch the cop cam. He dismissed her efforts at her "little blog", while playfully typing in the air with his own fingers. He called her "crazy" to the cops and said he was so worried that she would take the van and her phone, which was projection because that's exactly why she fought back, to stop him from stealing her vehicle. He demeaned her in a dozen ways...he is the staid one, always trying to hold her off until SHE calms down. All of this after there was a 911 call saying he was beating on her, slapping and hitting her in the street.

I watched it again and saw an exhausted, overwrought girl who appeared at the end of her rope. The little finger on her left hand looked discolored, maybe from him gripping her hand to keep her from "hitting" him?

Woe to the target of an abuser when that abuser is behind the wheel. He will use that vantage point to escalate his abuse; from this perspective alone, the police officers might have missed an opportunity to better assess the situation. Regardless, I do not think they are culpable for what happened. If we want to start the "blame chain" we could, technically, start with anyone who knew Gabby and was aware of the acrimony between her and Brian and who failed to intervene. Her parents, his parents, her friends, his sister, and on and on. This is unrealistic, of course, because who would ever have been able to predict what happened?

Speaking of parents, today as I was contemplating Brian's mother and father it occurred to me what it is about them that repels any measure of empathy I sometimes feel toward their situation: They appear angry - angry at Gabby for doing this to them, angry at her parents, angry at everyone for interfering in their nice, neat lives. Their refusal to talk - at least in the beginning - seems to me like a big middle finger to the world. Sorry if this is not in accordance with rules. I don't post very much, but I have been reading and absorbing.

Is that so?
I haven't seen a single statement that says that.
Even now, with a quick Google search, I'm unable to pull anything that supports that.

I've seen lots of "if they don't cooperate" X can happen, but that's it.

If you're feeling so inclined, I'd love to be directed to a couple of links that support what you're saying.

I wouldn't mind seeing where it's stated that they are cooperating...

Did someone here say that? That the officers should've ignored all other info and just arrest him?
I do think it would've been wise for the officers to take that report heavily into consideration when dealing with the couple.
I'm just asking a question.

What do you mean by "heavily into consideration"? Use the information given by the dispatcher as evidence of guilt? Or something else?

Great observations, IMO. I wish so much that Gabby's mother had said, Dump this guy for awhile. Go date other guys,... see what else is out there. I think Gabby and BL were so familiar with each other they had some co-dependency going on, were so used to how they treated each other it no longer sent up any red flags, if it ever had. People can get used to bad behavior in long relationships.

Yeah, LE needs to be trained in being gaslighted by controlling men who take over situations and divert blame, but you would think that would be part of their training already. It's just so common.
BBM; Let’s say gaslighted by controlling individuals/people.

Mod Note:

The last several pages have been rehashing and bickering. Please move the discussion forward rather than backwards unless it is something specific to Gabby’s death, the case, or the search for Brian.
Apologies. Read this after posting. Moving on.

Thank you also for taking an hour to remember Gabby today and provide a thread for that. For “just” an internet community, that seemed very respectful of the situation.

I don’t think so. Perhaps in the beginning but surely not now.
I was thinking more along the lines that they might have set him up before he took off, perhaps when they went out in their camper. You're right they couldn't possibly be doing much right now as that'd be detected by LE. I wonder if they have a long-term strategy, thinking things will die down and they can communicate or help him out later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
couchsluether