Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For a change… does anybody think a bounty hunter could find Brian?
When I first saw Dog pounding on the door I thought WTH.
The more I think about it maybe…
I guess it can't hurt, but the odds are against it. Law enforcement has a great many more resources, to include actual evidence that a bounty hunter would not be privy to.

That's of course assuming he's not in the preserve in the first place.

I have not used the ignore button here yet but am very close to. I just don't see the purpose. It doesn't matter if the cops didn't arrest him or not. It doesn't matter whose name was on the title or insurance for the van.

I'd much rather spend some time looking into the known timeline and figuring out where he is. What ifs do nothing to help a case. It's almost like people need to be right about something, JMO

True! As for the Carlton Reserve search, it looks as though the search has been exhausted, but thorough. The link someone posted several pages back (thank you to whomever posted it!) was informative as it was from a true insider who knows the terrain best. Paraphrased, he said:

No one could survive in there for more than a couple of weeks, tops, but that there were other roads exiting the Reserve. If Brian did initially spend time in there he could, conceivably, leave there via one of those routes.

This person also said that there was deep water throughout the Reserve, and this, too, would make it difficult, if not impossible, to inhabit the area. He said the mosquitos alone "could carry you off."

Lastly, he said if someone died in the Reserve you would spot vultures overhead, and that he has not seen ANY vultures (assuming he meant in the weeks since the search commenced).

I showed my husband the crime scene photos and he says the orange paint marks are used in 3-D modeling photography. Ostensibly, the FBI may have taken photos that can be used for a complete animation of the crime scene including the position of all evidence and may also use the model to demonstrate and test what they believe may have occurred in sequence. We may see this model at the trial, if there is one.

The markers I saw in the news stories did seem to form a loose circumference around her body and extending to the creek bed. If so, then maybe they fight near the creek, he fatally strikes her in the head with a creek rock, she falls and he drags her the short distance to the tree area where her body was discovered. Lots of possibilities of what happened but I'm leaning toward he killed her out in that area and in a quick relatively quiet way.

just my opinion

Me too. Didn't he point out that was his ex-wife? Implication being that he got rid of her because she was nutso like Gabby. Yeah, yeah I know he didn't say nutso, but that was the meaning. WOMEN!!
I’m sorry but isn’t this the same officer who tells Gabby something similar to, “Sometimes people just aren’t good for each other regardless of love”. (Paraphrasing from my best recollection) Edited for grammar

Last edited:
No surviving Carlton Reserve

The Carlton Reserve is home to 13-foot alligators, panthers, black bears, wild boar and several lethal varieties of snakes. McEwen says that even if Laundrie could manage to fend off the park’s most terrifying predators, its insects alone could be enough to do him in.

Asked about the possibility Laundrie may have died trying to hide in the reserve, McEwen was certain Laundrie’s body would have been found by now.

"Anything dead you find in the woods, you're gonna look up, you’re gonna see buzzards flying like crazy," he said. "No buzzards, no body is my theory. And I haven’t seen any buzzards flying."
Hummm. If one died in the water would there be buzzards?

Did BL save a souvenir from the scene? Some do. Parents could be in trouble depends what they know and what and when they helped. Mustang licensed to parents. Time delay could have missing evidence in van. Parents held up the time frame. Gave son more time by keeping Gabby not coming back with BL. Trying to report as I watch HLN

Mod Note:

The last several pages have been rehashing and bickering. Please move the discussion forward rather than backwards unless it is something specific to Gabby’s death, the case, or the search for Brian.
Yeah. Trying not to contribute to it but we're stuck in the same place for too long periods..
Whole thing is a mind storm.
On the one hand we're being asked to watch a swamp for a long period of time based on the assumption that B was some kind of an athlete, a highly skilled outdoorsman.
That's hard to swallow.
We don't have a clue what they're thinking to be searching that swampland with such intensity or so many resources for a person who probably cannot sustain too much discomfort let alone swamp life..
So it's as though the crime invariably becomes re-enacted in the discussion groups..
It's almost as frazzled as G appeared to be..

So we get stuck and recreate the dynamic.. I've seen it loads of times but in big cases like Las Vegas or something..
And it's like the thread has a mind of it's own, catharsis almost immediately followed by disturbance..
And the re-hashing of the same old story that is only too well known the whole world through.

We just need some clues to focus on figuring where he might be NOW.
I'm personally stuck because I have no insight at all into his nature apart from the fact that he is an abuser.

Yes. but on one hand you say 'like she didn't have her own valid opinion' yet the LE gave her many many hours away from him to form her own valid opinion/s. You can't have it both ways. They didn't let them both go off together on their own merry way - even though they were both adults and entitled to do so. LE aren't babysitters or social workers. They deal with DV cases day in day out. Do you think they have the manpower to stake out every couple that have a fight - even though the majority of DV cases end up with no-one pressing charges. Oh what a beautiful world that would be - it would only take about 700 percent more Police Officers. Hindsight is so easy.

The police officer put words in her mouth that led *directly* to everyone's blessing that they reunite the next day. That was my point. She didn't say those things he told BL, the cop said those things. The opinion I was referring to was - if he had let her actually talk, she might have said something else. Maybe if given the chance, she would have said something different than the cop came up with - maybe not literally one of the biggest cliches in domestic violence history - that I love my abuser and can't wait to see him tomorrow. My only point. Apologies if this seems like bickering. But someone mentioned that nothing would have changed if the traffic stop had gone differently, and I think maybe there was a tiny crack for things to have changed. That's all. I won't mention it again.

For a change… does anybody think a bounty hunter could find Brian?
When I first saw Dog pounding on the door I thought WTH.
The more I think about it maybe…
If he is found that would be awesome. This shouldn’t be used for personal publicity or some reality TV show.
Can BL be charged or tried in absentia? Does he have to be found first?

No to be unkind to the situation, but is there any benefit to rehashing the LE encounter from 8/12? Whether the cops acted correctly or not has no bearing on what we can do from here to help further the case.
Maybe not this case. But perhaps it could help LE learn how to better identify the true victim in like situations. That might help prevent a future tragedy. Kudos to the WSer who said that this body cam should make a great training tool for LE in domestic violence situations!

Mod Note:

The last several pages have been rehashing and bickering. Please move the discussion forward rather than backwards unless it is something specific to Gabby’s death, the case, or the search for Brian.
THANK YOU. The Moab incident maybe needs its own thread(s)? If people feel the need to further discuss

That was 11 days ago though. Things may have changed. We just don't know. There have been no further updates about that.

I'm not sure that anyone does not want to cooperate with the feds. At the very least, via their lawyer.
I reckon they are co-operating now. I even considered that whatever the FBI took today was instigated by themselves.
They have taken legal advice, they know very very well what they can and can not say and do without serious implications for themselves.

They were not at the beginning though, that is clear.

I'll eat my hat if he is but I really don't think BL is on the Appalachian Trail. As a hiker he'd know it's one of the busiest trails in the country. Even I have done many day hikes on the AT and I'm no hiker - it is always full of people from families on easy trails (or trails that connect with the main AT) to thru-hikers.

What makes you think the officers had heard either 911 call in its entirety? Officers get dispatched to follow a particular call, for a suspected particular crime, they don't get tons of details - there's another call coming in. They get dispatched, not briefed.

Then, when they get to the suspect(s), they use their eyes. Is there physical evidence of abuse? They probably expected to find some on Gabby, but did not. Instead, they find it on BL. Not what they were expecting...the Ranger can see the bigger picture, which is why she says what she says.

Even if every officer had some intuition that BL was the real problem (they couldn't deny that there was evidence of Gabby attacking Brian and she admits more than once to slapping and punching him), they had no basis on which to arrest him (and they knew the score - they didn't want to arrest Gabby!) So they do what they can to mollify and calm down the man in the couple (they know he's been a jerk in Moab) and separate the couple.

The Ranger even gave specific clues to Gabby (it's toxic).

https://mobile.twitter.com/sara_ballou/status/1442212502993965059

Does the parents' quick compliance with the DNA request mean anything? Until now they've been so uncooperative...
Good point. I honestly don’t know why they would want to give dna evidence to be used against BL in the homecide case. I could see them wanting to provide it for helping find him but we know they aren’t that concerned with finding him or they would be out there looking themselves. They obviously know where he is. But why give dna when they technically don’t have to?

LE in Moab also overlooked HIM driving 20 mph over the speed limit. You can't blame her on that one. He had 2 strikes against him on that stop. They chose to overlook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BEllis9801