Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a significant shortage of forensic pathologists.

However, Gabby's autopsy seem to have been performed in a very timely manner.

Moo... I would think most of the forensic would be sent to the FBI Lab at Quantico. I don't have a link, but I seem to remember the body has not been released.

Laboratory Services | Federal Bureau of Investigation
Created in 1932, the FBI Laboratory is today one of the largest and most comprehensive crime labs in the world. Operating out of a state-of-the-art facility in Quantico, Virginia, the Lab’s scientific experts and special agents travel the world on assignment, using science and technology to protect the nation and support law enforcement, intelligence, military, and forensic science partners.

Whether it’s examining DNA or fingerprints left at a crime scene or linking exploded bomb fragments to terrorists, the men and women of the FBI Laboratory are dedicated to using the rigors of science to solve cases and prevent acts of crime and terror.

This was gone over extensively in the previous threads when the warrant came out regarding the card: It doesn't matter if he had "permission" to use the card. Not his card, whether she was alive or dead, whether she said it was okay, whether he hurt her or not, it wasn't his card, hence the federal charge. Permission doesn't make it legal, not in the case of financial accounts.
It is actually against the law to use a persons credit card after their death, even if they had given you verbal permission. The authorized use of that card ends at the moment of death. That is the law.

MOO-Thoughts, observations & questions this morning:

1. Getting started on van life takes some up front investment. I wonder if the van was purchased with cash and by whom? If not, I wonder who holds the loan? It appears a 2012 Transit Van generally runs between around 7k to 13k, depending on mileage and condition. Outside of the van, supplies, customization, etc all take money. I believe they funded this trip together and/or were generously supported by their parents.
It appears both fathers owned their own businesses, so it may have been a goal or value to support this for their kids.

2. While having enough money and a decent budget to carry out a trip like this is important, (we saved 10k for a family of 4 for a 6000 mile round trip for a month on the road), they had done something similar before in a car and had a general sense of that, and I think I remember her father saying they had money. Without more information, I am not sure money was the main source of contention...it could be, tho...many people argue over money even when they have plenty.

3. The social influencer part of this confounds me a bit. Building a base following (say 5k active followers on the low end) is hard to get to by itself. To maintain and grow that takes an awful lot of time (often years) and work. There should be signs of that PRIOR to thinking one could make a living off it UNLESS sponsored by a number of companies prior to the trip.
Do we know if they had company sponsors?

If they were well sponsored, they could have made money from the sponsor, or have been gifted important supplies to market and make commission from along the way.

Also note, that in my experience, sponsors often include deadlines for posts and links used, including specific expectations for influencers, it can cause pressure. It could also be hard to meet these expectations if juggling more than one sponsor over a specific timeframe.

4. Whether it is true or not, Brian gives some insight on their plan during the bodycam vid, as I recall. I think he said they were headed to see g-ma best friend and then to Portland to do a stint at a World Wide Opportunity on an Organic Farm (otherwise known as WWOOFing) and then land in California. Don't know much beyond that...it is all quite a curious and exasperating case to try to figure out without more information to comb thru.

MOO and just wanted to share with this amazing group!

I agree with all that you said. I wish LE would release the bodycams of the other LE officers that questioned both of them. There could be a reason LE has not released more.

hmmmmm...would it be easy to stay hidden as a laborer on some small organic farm.

Last edited:
It is Brian's parents who could stop the bullhorns...today. Just cooperate with LE. Tell them what they know.
Exactly...had they just answered the phone or returned texts early in september maybe people wouldn't be so cantankerous about this.

and on that topic...i keep thinking about them not answering the calls..how could they not?
If my boy came home and said 'bad news we broke up' and i saw the girlfriends parent calling me, I'd answer. Because i would think after a a few years there is usually some sort of informal relationship between families. Like maybe just answer ONCE.

IMO, the things that are publicly known about this case are likely only the tip of the iceberg, and there will be a lot we won't find out about until a trial (assuming BL is captured/charged/etc.), IMO -- attorneys/LE folks can probably say more about that. We can only gauge what is actually going by what is out there publicly, but LE obviously has a much fuller picture, and I wonder what kinds of things they likely know at this point from records/interviews Gabby's family has given them. For example, they probably know exactly where and when the debit card was used starting way before, right? Maybe for the last 6 months or more? They probably talked to people at each place BL stopped and maybe each place BL and GP went to in the weeks leading up to her death.

Was LE able to take the Mustang because the parents gave permission or would they have had a warrant? From the Mustang's electronics, would they know where it went from the time BL got home? They probably wouldn't have access to BL's cell phone records, though, right? That would take a subpoena, I think. The parents probably haven't disclosed anything about their activities -- how much information would they have disclosed when the FBI was at their house? Would LE have any details about their trip with the camper? That would have to come from the parents telling them (not likely) or their credit card records, which LE probably doesn't have. They only information they might have from things the parents have said are what they told them when reporting BL was missing. They also probably know from Gabby's family about whatever episodes BL had that cause him to fly back home. They won't have BL's medical records, but GP's parents and brother could tell them all they know. Would LE know if BL or his parents had a gun license? (Do we still think that was a gun case in the back of the Mustang?).

What other type of things (evidence) would LE have been able to collect through warrants/subpoenas/interviews up to this point?

IMO, the things that are publicly known about this case are likely only the tip of the iceberg, and there will be a lot we won't find out about until a trial (assuming BL is captured/charged/etc.), IMO -- attorneys/LE folks can probably say more about that. We can only gauge what is actually going by what is out there publicly, but LE obviously has a much fuller picture, and I wonder what kinds of things they likely know at this point from records/interviews Gabby's family has given them. For example, they probably know exactly where and when the debit card was used starting way before, right? Maybe for the last 6 months or more? They probably talked to people at each place BL stopped and maybe each place BL and GP went to in the weeks leading up to her death.

Was LE able to take the Mustang because the parents gave permission or would they have had a warrant? From the Mustang's electronics, would they know where it went from the time BL got home? They probably wouldn't have access to BL's cell phone records, though, right? That would take a subpoena, I think. The parents probably haven't disclosed anything about their activities -- how much information would they have disclosed when the FBI was at their house? Would LE have any details about their trip with the camper? That would have to come from the parents telling them (not likely) or their credit card records, which LE probably doesn't have. They only information they might have from things the parents have said are what they told them when reporting BL was missing. They also probably know from Gabby's family about whatever episodes BL had that cause him to fly back home. They won't have BL's medical records, but GP's parents and brother could tell them all they know. Would LE know if BL or his parents had a gun license? (Do we still think that was a gun case in the back of the Mustang?).

What other type of things (evidence) would LE have been able to collect through warrants/subpoenas/interviews up to this point?

Oh, and GL's social media activities -- LE would have been able to get all of that from Instagram/FB/Youtube, etc., right? But they would not be able to get BL's without a subpoena, I think.

"Duane "Dog" Chapman said on "Fox & Friends" Monday he's received more than 1,000 tips since joining the search for Brian Laundrie.

"We've gotten over a thousand leads… So we're going through all those leads," said the famed bounty hunter. "It's incredible pictures of him here, they're here. We're going through all those leads right now."

"I would say within 48 hours, we probably will have a location where we start the tracking at.""

'Dog the Bounty Hunter' joins Brian Laundrie manhunt, says he's received more than 1,000 leads

It is actually against the law to use a persons credit card after their death, even if they had given you verbal permission. The authorized use of that card ends at the moment of death. That is the law.

Unless he really didn’t know she was dead?

BUT— as I said in an earlier post (see below), now that he has an active arrest warrant out and is not turning himself in, there’s no going back.
I think that if he still hadn’t been charged with anything, and just had left and later we find out the evidence of homicide isn’t enough to point to him (or points to a third party) then we could change our perspectives to explain his running as fear-based or strategic silence/running waiting until the evidence revealed it wasn’t him.

BUT— now that he is charged with the bank fraud and there is a warrant for his arrest, there is no possible excuse for the hiding and not turning himself in. That changes the whole disappearing scenario in a big way. Because now he is officially evading the law, evading arrest, rather than waiting for things to blow over or evidence to come out that will clear him. And it’ll be really hard to change perspectives after that. MOO

That's what I think the story will be...except that she was missing, not dead and depending on how far the body was from the place where the van was parked. I've seen approximately 200 yards, but don't know for sure. I also don't know how long it took LE to find the body once they started looking in the right place. The longer it took, the more plausible the alternate explanation would be.

This Google Earth measurement puts Gabby's body approx 287 yards from where her van was parked.
I've wondered if both BL & Gabby were in the van when those witnesses drove by, catching the door closing on the Go-Pro. We know BL liked to hike barefoot as in Utah, so it's plausible those were his flip flops outside the van on 9/27... However, I personally think they were hers because he didn't give a schit about sand etc. in the van.
(If) she was killed in the van then dragged across the creek, I'm thinking he would wait till dark as to not be seen, hence. reason for door closing. (She could very well have been dead inside when the Go-Pro witnesses drove by.) I'm sure LE checked for drag marks as well as taking many, many samples of ground material to check for her DNA in a wide area from the van to where she was located.
That is one scenario. Personally, I think she was killed close to / at the location she was located across the creek. Perhaps he lured her out there, idk, but the fight at the restaurant imo, was a huge factor in setting him off into a fit of deadly rage. I firmly believe her actual DOD was 9/27/2021.
JMO

Attachments

• Gray Hughes - 287.56 Yards Tent to Van via Google Earth.png
    Gray Hughes - 287.56 Yards Tent to Van via Google Earth.png
    811.8 KB · Views: 50
Oh, and GL's social media activities -- LE would have been able to get all of that from Instagram/FB/Youtube, etc., right? But they would not be able to get BL's without a subpoena, I think.
Sorry, I keep thinking of things --

Flight manifests aren't public, are they? So, LE wouldn't be able to confirm that BL flew home and back in August from those. Would they have interviewed at the airport (the people who worked at the desk or flight attendants)? Would they subpoena airline records?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay