Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO

But if the murderer were a stranger, the witness might be extremely likely to misidentify the murderer. And I’ve seen studies that claim that there’s not that much correlation between a witness’s confidence and accuracy. That matches my personal experience, too.

MOO

I do this thing in lab where I show two kinds of faces: people who are famous enough that a good number of students will know who they are, and complete strangers. I have pictures of all different ethnicities, ages, genders, etc. The students have to supply their own age, ethnicity, gender and a few other variables, depending on what we're doing.

It's amazing how not even some of the most famous faces are not identified by 100% of the students (say, Ronald Reagan - his face is apparently being forgotten). I then ask them to describe some of the non-celebrity faces in another exercise (they each choose three pictures to describe). Their descriptions are at variance with each other, even with the face pictures right in front of them.

A month later, I choose (for each student) one of those stranger faces and ask if they've ever seen it before and about half will say "no, they haven't." Which is why we professionally study forensics and. have a particular language for nose types, estimates of intraorbital distance (they're. supposed to use a ruler - and they'll still get different measurements on the two attempts), chin types, skin undertones, skin color, eye color and so on. They'll even given fairly disparate answers to "what age is this person?" on each attempt, perhaps because in the meantime, they've been studying the science of faces? LEO who happen to be in the class do much better than the average student, but aren't perfect. My anthropology colleagues do pretty well (as we've all been trained in this) whereas the mathematicians and historians do not do as well. The ASL students are better than an average group of students.

Witnesses are really not the best at identifying people they see only briefly. If someone does an unusual act (as in the Pear Film exercise), then they are much better remembered. So BL offering the $200 to the couple he hitched with, made himself more memorable. They probably stared at him, then talked about him after he left the car...

More flowers showing up at the Laundrie home. This time someone delivered them to the make-shift memorial for Gabby on the lawn, not the Laundrie's front door.
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1442571301101637633?s=21
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1442571301101637633?s=21
What's crazy is there's another video on there of the sheriff coming by and telling the flower delivery lady to take them to City Hall because they'll all be thrown in the garbage if not

What I saw in the LE vid, was an insecure nervous guy who just got stopped for hitting a curve and fighting with his girl friend. Lots of nervous laughing. I laugh sometimes in seemingly inappropriate times...just nerves. What I saw in Gabby is unresolved emotional stress that had peaked.

True but then there is the matter of that audio where the caller said he was hitting and slapping her. For all we know he turned on the charm for LE.

And did no one find it odd to say they had been traveling for '4 no 5 months' when asked by LE but they only had left in June?
I did...why would he do that?? JMO..

Because lots of people walk around with no clear concept of time, neither clock nor calendar. I'd say at least a quarter of non-working. people within the range of normal intelligence do not regularly keep track of months or even days of the week. In the US, this would include many students (common excuse for missing an exam, btw), retired people, Van Lifers, and others who have no reason to keep track. They will notice that everyone is putting up Hallowe'en decorations and figure it must be "October."

BL doesn't strike me as someone who lived his life, much, by a calendar or a clock It probably seemed that long to him, which is interesting.

Hi, and welcome! Thanks for your post, I loved it. I too have been thinking a lot about BL's "goals" and "plans." And not just when it comes to being a fugitive from the law. What about from the get-go, before anything went awry?

What was his plan on this van trip? If he didn't want to participate in the blog, then how did he anticipate funding this venture? If he had plenty of savings, why did he (ostensibly) risk using GP's debit card or tell the Moab cops he couldn't pay for a hotel room?

I keep coming back to this, because I cannot make sense of it. I understand that young people don't always have well-thought-out plans. I'm not young and I don't have well-thought-out plans, tbh. But how can someone take off on a cross country trip without the funding, or plans to obtain it (i.e. becoming a famous blogger or influencer or whatever).

Did he rely on Gabby? Did he rely on his or her parents? Did he exhaust his own savings by then (so early on in the trip) and, if so, how or why?

MELONS AREN'T FREE! Welcome thoughts, I'd love to hear what others are thinking. And of course, this is all my opinion only.

IMOO They saved enough to do this trip. They weren't planning on being long term "van lifers" right now. It was a 4-5 month trip. Average cost for van life living is around $100 per person per week which includes gas money. So about $3600 give or take for 4-5 months.
I think they saved up enough money to hit that and maybe even a cushion built in. If they planned on one meal out a week maybe they saved $120 or $140 each per week.

However, adding ONE night at hotel can wipe out the entire cost of living for a vanlifer for a WEEK. That's why he said they didn't have money for a hotel IMO. He was hoping if he said that they would either let them go (together) or he wouldn't have to pay for it.

As far as the blogging or influencer side of it making money? I think GP got a little starry eyed thinking maybe eventually she could get there and fund this nomadic thing as a permanent lifestyle or told BL that she thought they could. But I don't believe that either one of them could have believed that THIS TRIP would be funded by online income. Any zoomer can TELL you how hard it is to make money online with just content production.

Can anyone answer this question with 100% fact? Were there 2 separate 911 calls (at least) for the incident in Moab?

This is why I ask:

1. There seems to be a call from a guy that was driving by and stopped. During the call he stated he was not from around the area.
2. There seems to be a call from "Chris" who saw the incident while standing outside. Hours later they interviewed him locally.
3. The police report mentions calls, not a call about the incident
4. The police report implies, as I read it, there was and individual that made a report AND a witness named Chris.

Please, I am not looking for opinion, provable fact based answers only.

Gabby Petito case: Dispatch recordings show Utah police were told male struck female

Now that they know who he is, have the Laundries reached out to him? Just curious if they were "scared", with all those witnesses and media cameras rolling what they thought could happen?

no they most likely have NOT ... they do not seem to be trying to find him

I am used to looking at cases that are being investigated by local or state law enforcement. The bar is high as far as evidence required to obtain electronic surveillance. Phone/internet records, or physically taking someones computer or cell phone is limited to proof that device was used in the theft/use of the credit card. Court records are mostly available online.

We seem to have no information about an investigation that has been going on for quite some time now

. If the parents are not fully cooperating, what powers do the FBI have to obtain evidence on a theft charge or a missing person investigation?. FISA warrants are notoriously secretive and it seems like information that we sleuthers are used to obtaining is going to remain under wraps indefinitely. Ugh.

FISA = the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Nope, does not apply here.

Can anyone answer this question with 100% fact? Were there 2 separate 911 calls (at least) for the incident in Moab?

This is why I ask:

1. There seems to be a call from a guy that was driving by and stopped. During the call he stated he was not from around the area.
2. There seems to be a call from "Chris" who saw the incident while standing outside. Hours later they interviewed him locally.
3. The police report mentions calls, not a call about the incident
4. The police report implies, as I read it, there was and individual that made a report AND a witness named Chris.

Please, I am not looking for opinion, provable fact based answers only.
1. Correct
2. Correct that this person (Christopher) wrote a statement at 7 PM. Statement says that he arrived "@ Moonflower" and was standing on the S. side of the street. This witness noticed that someone had called the incident in, and so Christopher gave his phone number to a police officer. Police followed up with "Chris" (presumably the same person) by phone from the scene of the stop and stopped by his house for a statement. Full statement: Witness statement recalls Gabby Petito, Brian Laundrie domestic dispute in Utah
3. Don't understand this statement. No mention of the 911 call that was publicly released appears in the report except that the reports say that someone called and that "it wasn't clear"
4. I don't read the report this way. I read that they are the same person.

In answer to your question, there is no evidence of a second 911 call. But we don't have any evidence that there was NOT a second 911 call, because we don't know if the caller that Christopher refers to in his statement is the same one whose 911 call was released to the public.

Last edited:
Something I did not understand in the police body cam footage was when Gabby said they were fighting since he doesn't believe her vlog will be a success. I mean those may have been words of anger because take a step back and ask yourself who is the one taking all her pics and videos? Was that not him supporting her? p.s. this is not victim blaming , I am just trying to point something out.

I noticed that too....which is why I dont think Brian was a psychopath or anything like that.

MOST of the beautiful travel photos of Gabby we are now looking at were taken by BRIAN. He also helped save money for the trip and help build out the van. It was their dream, but maybe after 4-5 months (two trips) Brian was questioning their ability to make a living from it. This obviously created a lot of stress. He probably had a hand in her death, but just dont think he meant to kill her.

I am beginning to think his parents had a big influence in his decision to run, escape accountability. They had 10 days to influence him. And at any time they could have answered phone calls. I think Brian's focus on autism on his on line media might have some relevance.

Last edited:
Good thinking....;)
First thing I thought, but I guess I was the only one. Figured since he put them inside on the porch, they might just take them inside and start blabbing away, unsuspectingly. HA HA but I think that they are too paranoid, at this point!

Because lots of people walk around with no clear concept of time, neither clock nor calendar. I'd say at least a quarter of non-working. people within the range of normal intelligence do not regularly keep track of months or even days of the week. In the US, this would include many students (common excuse for missing an exam, btw), retired people, Van Lifers, and others who have no reason to keep track. They will notice that everyone is putting up Hallowe'en decorations and figure it must be "October."

BL doesn't strike me as someone who lived his life, much, by a calendar or a clock It probably seemed that long to him, which is interesting.

I just wanted to say thank you for your measured and balanced contributions. It's good when a verified professional can chip in to give their perspective on things.

@RANCH said:

"I'm just asking a question.

What do you mean by "heavily into consideration"? Use the information given by the dispatcher as evidence of guilt? Or something else?"

‐-----------------------------------------

I don't know how to further explain "heavily into consideration," but I'll try! I'm not an LEO and I wasn't there.

What I'm saying is:

In any LEO interaction, the information they have and what they observe is all taken into consideration to decide how to handle the situation.

In this case, if they had the information that Brian hit Gabby, that's something the LEOs might want to take into consideration for how they handle the situation moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal