Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #38

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He made no real attempt to hide the body, no attempt to hide his usage of the debit card, no attempt to hide the van. He might have freaked out over what happened and fled home but
I have to wonder if he would be missing right now without his parents influence. He had to have known that LE would entirely come there to find him even before he headed home.

Interesting point. Brian's actions indicate he did not try to hide much. Even leaving van before going back to it. Even after arriving in Florida, no one made an attempt to get rid of the van.

I now wonder if it was his parents that talked him into running. Camping trip was cover for staging, so he might be in wilderness somewhere but not in Florida. 2-3 days on the road can take him far.

Just out of interest, is there any evidence that is NOT classed as circumstantial? Ie: is it actually categorised into 'circumstantial' and another category?

I assume the alternative to circumstantial evidence is evidence that has actually been recorded on CCTV, for example - such as actual footage of a perpetrator murdering a victim?

TIA

Circumstantial evidence is anything that needs an assumption or explanation to prove what is alleged. So for DNA evidence, you need to compare the DNA found to an offender's DNA. That requires a step and someone to testify to explain the step.

Direct evidence is something that speaks for itself. Like a video recording of a crime being committed or eye witness testimony. You can watch the tape and see what was recorded. The witness can testify as to what they saw with their own eyes.

The issue with even eye witness testimony is even though it is "direct," the value depends heavily on the trustworthiness of the witness. Juries are instructed to come to their own conclusions on if they believe the witnesses. So if your eye witness is a criminal, will juries discount their testimony? What about explicit or implicit bias? It also depends on the memory of the witness. There are lots of studies using line-ups that show eye witness testimony is not always reliable, particularly when the witness is not familiar with the defendant.

There are books written about these topics. I don't think many people actually understand the difference when they claim there's "only" circumstantial evidence when the actual problem in many cases is jurors are expecting CSI style scientific evidence (which is circumstantial by definition).

Wherever he is, he's not moving around or he'd be caught by now. And BL is a very generic-looking guy, as we've seen from all of the dopplegangers from tips. A wig or hat, sunglasses, and a COVID mask and he's going to look like a thousand other twentysomething dudes.

Right, wherever he is...I doubt he's walking around willy nilly. He's holed up somewhere.

Such is the price of fame, even if it's infamy.
MOO, they deserve some of the harassment. But not any direct harm that is against the law. That’s what happens when a family member does a morally wrong thing and is supported. Because the law can’t touch them
I apologize if the following has already been discussed, as these threads move very fast.

News articles have reported that, after BL returned home alone, neighbors witnessed BL’s family attach a camper to their truck, pack it up, and leave for the weekend.

Most importantly, the article states the following.

Has there been any report of witnesses seeing the family unpack the camper upon their return? I am now wondering whether the family used this opportunity to pack up supplies and set up a “bug-out” location for BL in case he had to go on the lam. MOO.

Laundrie's Florida neighbors say family appeared to go 'camping' after boyfriend returned from Wyoming
MOO: I don’t find it odd. Only the husband saw this by the way, even though the wife did a lot of the talking. They had no idea of the dates either.

What’s troubling here is that we do not know when BL actually left the house. No definite sitings and timelines. Just parents word and vague narratives. .

I have to say, I'm torn on this. I feel absolutely horrible for the neighbors. I would imagine many are sitting thinking that they may end up moving because who wants to live down the street from all of that, near term and long term. And then, I can't say that I blame the protests and in the end, a young woman was murdered at the hands of their son and they have not lifted one finger to help and in fact, have hindered a lot of the investigation. Grief and anger takes many forms, is expressed in many different ways and if GP was still here, there would be no people with bullhorns outside in that neighborhood.
It is Brian's parents who could stop the bullhorns...today. Just cooperate with LE. Tell them what they know.

This article is from Friday but I don't recall seeing these quotes by Gabby's friend Rose discussed here.

Gabby Petito's Best Friend Says Brian Laundrie Had 'Jealousy Issues': 'Toxic Relationship'

"I tried not to judge their relationship, but I knew something was off," Davis explains. "I just, I didn't expect this, obviously. I just thought he was just controlling. And bit by bit, she was almost... The more we were hanging out, and the more she was away from [the relationship], the more she got comfortable and was getting into her own skin and then, she started working."

... Petito had been working 50 hours a week at a local Taco Bell prior to the couple's trek, which began in early July. She says Laundrie did not want Petito working, after the two had quit their jobs at a nearby Publix with the pandemic's onset.

"He could keep an eye on her at Publix," Davis says. "He didn't want her to work, and she did. And he was mad about it. And he always tried to get what he wanted and he did, because he wanted the van life and he rushed to that so that she wasn't going to be able to work anymore."
:eek::(:mad:

We all know Casey killed Caylee...I don't disagree with you, but I guess I am just never comfy until conviction.
This. There have been cases where I was personally convinced the defendant was guilty but the evidence just wasn’t there when it went to trial. And not all of them resulted in convictions. Like I think Casey Anthony and Scott Peterson were both guilty but IMO there was more evidence for Casey killing Caylee than Scott killing Laci, if not a lack of evidence for both and yet their outcomes were totally different. Same goes for cases with evidence. It’s a hit or miss. /JMO

This morning when I checked BL’s Instagram he was following 40 people. I just now checked his Instagram and he is following 41 people. Is it possible someone else has access to his account, or is he still active on it and making alterations?

Anybody else notice this?
This could also be explainable by one of the people he follows deactivating and then reactivating their account. I do that to my own account to have a social media break, and people will not be able to follow me when I have my account closed down but when I re-activate it, they retain their follow for me.

It is HIGHLY unlikely, IMO, that if Brian is accessing the internet, he’s doing so from his own account. If he’s smart enough to evade the police, he’s not using his personal social media.

All of the social media sleuthing has alternate explanations (Spotify playlist names removed? Happens when people report the account. Followers going up or down? Deactivated/reactivated accounts or people blocking him).

Just my opinion, but I think it’s really extremely unlikely that if he’s alive and if he has access to a phone or desktop, that he would choose to sign in to his own social media. More likely the other explanations.

If we find out that this is him, then he is much stupider than we ever anticipated!

Last edited:
There are shelters, privies, and water sources every 7 miles or so on the AT . You can do the whole thing with zero survival skills. Some hikers spend every other night in a motel; others have their stuff driven from road crossing to road crossing, so they only ever take a day pack.

Sounds as if you've had some experience on this trail. I wonder what kind of wildlife resides along it? Are there places to sleep off the beaten path?

I can say unequivocally, if this were my street/neighborhood, regardless of what my neighbors may have been accused/guilty of I’d have a problem with the circus this has created. The loss of privacy, inconvenience & increased traffic plus noise disturbances, etc affects everyone around them, not just the Laundries. It’s invasive, disruptive, voyeuristic & most importantly unproductive. Imho.

I completely agree. It's turning what should be a respectful, albeit intensive, investigation into a 3-ring-circus. I find that so disrespectful of Gabby's memory. But, that's just MOO.

And the worst is Dog the Bounty Hunter, or should we say, Dog the Coffin Rider, showing up to get his 15 minutes of fame from her death. Dr. Phil got in on the action early as well.

While I get that this is an interesting case (I'm here, after all.), I also feel that too many are using it to their own advantage, and that makes me sad.

Glad you brought this up:cool:

I've not seen any evidence the family purchased "groceries" or a delivery, just the milk.

Did BL's family stock up on food prior to his disappearance?
Does the family keep a stock pile of food, as a general rule?

Doesn't seem like normal behavior, to me.

JMHO
Can't speak for them. When the lockdowns first started I stocked up on some things. My husband has RA. Some of his meds depress his immune system. I didn't want to have to go out or have things brought in. I won't say I overstocked, but I am working on going through some of the things I got. As we are older, like BLs parents, we don't eat a whole lot. This could explain why they don't need to go out for shopping as much. In other words, they have a well stocked pantry. JMO

Right? At the risk of beating a dead horse, I blame TV for this. Decades of lawyer and cop shows giving people totally fictional ideas of how criminal investigations and prosecutions work, right down to "Oh it's all circumstantial evidence therefore you are not guilty!" I hate to think of what this (along with the CSI effect) is doing to juries.

Agreed 100%. During his live broadcasts, JB has said numerous times that it's nothing like what we see on Law & Order SVU or other cop shows.

I know the FBI is seeking information from anyone who was in the vicinity of Spread Creek Dispersed Campground between August 27 and August 30, but I'm surprised they haven't also asked people who were in Coulter Bay Village (where Miranda Baker picked him up at the showers) on August 29 to come forward as well.
Or anyone who may have seen him the 1000+ mile drive home. Dumping perfectly good camping gear/ropes/rocks in dumpsters…

This. There have been cases where I was personally convinced the defendant was guilty but the evidence just wasn’t there when it went to trial. And not all of them resulted in convictions. Same goes for cases with evidence. It’s a hit or miss.
Right...and he did all the "right" things to avoid consequences so far, better than OJ, Casey, etc. He hired an atty, disappeared and left his mess to mom & dad. Bet they're regretting this pattern of parenting about now.

ETA: to be clear, I believe he murdered her and ran to mommy and needs to be...well, justice is necessary. I'm playing devil's advocate above- not defending them, just in case anyone misinterpreted my words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member