Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why didnt she?
The officers.were.there they could have.taken him.away!
I think these.2 fight.often and fight terribly! This time.they got.caught!
As time.goes.on it.escalates!

Does not.end.well!

You need to read much more about Domestic Violence.

The victim rarely ever leaves the first time LE is involved. As I recall, it takes multiple LE or medical interventions before the victim finds the courage, fear, or resources to leave. And then the statistics are even worse for the victim after they leave and the abuser stalks them.

Old cop, at the end of the day he wasn't on the title. We know he stole her van. You know this. She almost got arrested for trying to stay with the van weeks earlier. Does it make sense she would give it up later? And what do you make of her apparent lack of proof of life? We don't know if LE has probable cause or not. But the signs point to it.
Hi @SuziQ. I am mostly in agreement with your line of thought that things don’t look good. However, we don’t know he stole her van. We don’t know that she didn’t decide to drop out of sight. We don’t know what we don’t know.
Let’s do a hypothetical. You decide to go on a camping trip with some new friends. You’re riding with them and don’t need your own car. You lend it to a friend. You go off without really telling anyone where you are going.
A few days later your friend gets stopped for a minor traffic violation. His name’s not on the registration. He doesn’t know how to get a hold of you. In the meantime your parents are trying to get a hold of you, too, with no luck.
Your car hasn’t been reported stolen. Should LE lock up your friend while they look for you?

Probably a very toxic codependent relationship. He was worried she would get in trouble and worrying about her having a record. He also apologized for it getting so public. So this abusive relationship could have been happening behind closed doors for a while now. It seems he was very aware and made several statements about them arguing like that in public. I'm thinking they kept this part of their relationship hidden from their family as best they could.

I have a 21 year old daughter and I want to say that her behavior when being questioned by police is not at all out of the ordinary, to me anyway. Girls cry, alot. And I know my daughter would be a sobbing mess in this situation.
Yes I agree- I have seen much worse over far less.

Any suggestion that that was evidence of "crazy" is "crazy".

It seems like every thread I've been on concerning a woman missing - domestic violence comes up and the misunderstandings of what it is and is not continue to astonish me.

Her mom will be at the presser I think - how awful for all of them now.
JMO

Probably a very toxic codependent relationship. He was worried she would get in trouble and worrying about her having a record. He also apologized for it getting so public. So this abusive relationship could have been happening behind closed doors for a while now. It seems he was very aware and made several statements about them arguing like that in public. I'm thinking they kept this part of their relationship hidden from their family as best they could.

So, what would you do if your SO took your phone, locked you out of YOUR vehicle and threatened to abandon you nearly 2000 miles away from home?

Are you telling me you wouldn't fight back?
Yeah, trying to lock her out of her own car is not "normal stuff between men and women", IMO, as a post on the other thread said. Didn't the earlier police report say, that she was trying to get the keys from him, and he was fending her off, I think he used the term "maneuver" her away, which could mean anything, like push? Maybe she felt he was escalating the altercation, so she tried to defend herself by slapping and/or scratching him? How was she suppoed to get her keys back from a male with around twice her strength? Did the police ask him why he didn't just give her her keys? Did they look at the car registration to ascertain who owned the car? If she was the "aggressor", it seems he was the instigator, by attempting to take her car and abandon her. Please fill me in if I've missed something here.

We have no idea how that scene actually went down. All we know is, that he was refusing to give her the keys to her own car, and subsequently tried to lock her out of her car, and leave her.

Last edited:
We shouldn’t assume anything about what mental illness(es) either Gabby or Brian may have. As for her saying she has OCD and anxiety, I wouldn’t be surprised if BL ‘diagnosed’ her with that because her cleanliness definitely bothered him (which he himself says in the body cam footage) and gaslit her into thinking shes “crazy” (which he also jokingly says to an officer). Being trapped in a van for months with someone who regularly accuses you of things and blames their problems on you could understandably alter ones perception of themselves.

Bottom line: unless/until we have evidence of either BL or GP having a diagnosed mental illness, I don’t think it’s fair to attribute their behavior to anything other than emotions/tensions running high.
These 2 have been living.for.2 and a half years.together like this
im not sure they are.ever.apart!

Why didn’t the responding officer(s) ever ask if there were any weapons in the vehicle? I thought asking about the presence of anything dangerous in the vehicle was a standard question when conducting a traffic stop, especially one stemming from a DV incident. MOO.

Its.registered.to.his home.address!
The van was at that address
Is the insurance in both their names?
His DL has same address?

Um, no. He was not on the title. Insurance doesn't change that. Neither does the address. I have personally gone through this. The vehicle was mine. I took it back. My sister broke up with her bf. He took off in her car she was letting him use. He was on the insurance. He hid the car for months. She found it. She called the police. He was arrested.

I'm amazed at how different my impressions, of the same incident, are from reading articles about the incident, to reading the police report, to then seeing the video.

As an OCD sufferer, the line "I just wanted him to stop talking" is chillingly familiar. I still suspect that this was a five month build up that ended in something sudden and tragic.

After watching the body camera footage I have a somewhat different opinion than I did before I watched it.
There's not one bit of evidence that BL was abusive to Gabby. Not one bruise that any relative saw, no prior police records. BL had lots of time and chances to hit Gabby out of the public's view in that van when she was punching him, <modsnip >

This is what I think and I may be way off....
I think BL flew back to Fl. to get away from Gabby. I think emptying the storage unit was just an excuse. It doesn't make sense he'd fly back just for that. I think once he was there, his parents gave him their advice and suggested he called it quits with her. I think he flew back and told Gabby it was over. It's obvious that that poor girl was already depressed. Lots of change, she had quit her job, her relationship was on the rocks and now she'd have to find a place to live. Shattered dreams with a man she didn't even want to spend one night away from when the cops separated them.
<modsnip> So he fled to Fl. More circumstantial evidence pointing to him. His parents may have felt guilty, because they suggested he broke it off. They also thought he'd be a suspect, the fingers would point to him, so they lawyered up. The lawyer told them to keep quiet, so they are. I know it looks like they are cold and callas, and doing so builds even more circumstantial evidence as in a cover up, but they must know that.
I have a lot of respect for the way Moab PD handled this. AZ. is the same as my state. The one that has the scratches and marks is the victim, and the aggressor goes to jail. No exceptions. I wonder how Gabby's mental health would have been if she ended up in jail. I think they skirted the law, and the redacted audio when they were deciding what to do shows that.
All speculation on my part, I'm thinking out loud, and I may be wrong, but to me, it's the only thing that fits. I know many that are good at covering up and hiding their aggression, but I just don't see it with BL. Yeah, he called her crazy, but I don't think he meant she was really crazy. Many people use that phrase when in reality, they are exaggerating.

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching the body camera footage I have a somewhat different opinion than I did before I watched it.
There's not one bit of evidence that BL was abusive to Gabby. Not one bruise that any relative saw, no prior police records. BL had lots of time and chances to hit Gabby out of the public's view in that van when she was punching him, but he didn't.
I think BL flew back to Fl. to get away from Gabby. I think emptying the storage unit was just an excuse. It doesn't make sense he'd fly back just for that. I think once he was there, his parents gave him their advice and suggested he called it quits with her. I think he flew back and told Gabby it was over. It's obvious that that poor girl was already depressed. Lots of change, she had quit her job, her relationship was on the rocks and now she'd have to find a place to live. Shattered dreams with a man she didn't even want to spend one night away from when the cops separated them.
I think they went on a hike and Gabby jumped. BL panicked because he thought LE would point the finger to him seeing as now he had a record of DV. So he fled to Fl. More circumstantial evidence pointing to him. His parents may have felt guilty, because they suggested he broke it off. They also thought he'd be a suspect, the fingers would point to him, so they lawyered up. The lawyer told them to keep quiet, so they are. I know it looks like they are cold and callas, and doing so builds even more circumstantial evidence as in a cover up, but they must know that.
I have a lot of respect for the way Moab PD handled this. AZ. is the same as my state. The one that has the scratches and marks is the victim, and the aggressor goes to jail. No exceptions. I wonder how Gabby's mental health would have been if she ended up in jail. I think they skirted the law, and the redacted audio when they were deciding what to do shows that.
All speculation on my part, I'm thinking out loud, and I may be wrong, but to me, it's the only thing that fits. I know many that are good at covering up and hiding their aggression, but I just don't see it with BL. Yeah, he called her crazy, but I don't think he meant she was really crazy. Many people use that phrase when in reality, they are exaggerating.

There's not one bit of evidence that BL was abusive to Gabby. Not one bruise that any relative saw, no prior police records. BL had lots of time and chances to hit Gabby out of the public's view in that van when she was punching him, but he didn't.
I think they went on a hike and Gabby jumped. BL panicked because he thought LE would point the finger to him seeing as now he had a record of DV. So he fled to Fl. More circumstantial evidence pointing to him. His parents may have felt guilty, because they suggested he broke it off. They also thought he'd be a suspect, the fingers would point to him, so they lawyered up. The lawyer told them to keep quiet, so they are. I know it looks like they are cold and callas, and doing so builds even more circumstantial evidence as in a cover up, but they must know that.

Abuse isn’t always physical. Mental and emotional manipulation are also forms of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8xbet81bet