Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #44

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm backtracking here but am a bit confused on one point: Was the bodycam video from Arches park ranger Melissa Hulls released, or just the Moab police bodycam footage? This article on Newsweek.com references the Hulls bodycam video, saying it's been viewed "millions of times," but somehow I've overlooked it. If they're talking about the Moab bodycam footage, then could the media or public get the Hulls bodycam video through a FOIA request? Sorry if I'm asking something that's already been discussed. Thanks!
This may help:

KSL News Radio - 2 Days Ago
National Park Service stonewalls public records in Gabby Petito case

The U.S. National Park Service has denied two requests for public records filed by KSL under the Freedom of Information Act in connection with the disappearance of Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito.

In a pair of response letters on Tuesday, the agency said release of backcountry campsite reservation data from Yellowstone National Park and ranger body camera footage from Arches National Park could interfere with “enforcement proceedings.” The National Park Service added providing those public records could “afford a virtual roadmap through the government’s evidence” and “prematurely reveal the full scope of the evidence that has been obtained to date.”

Both of KSL’s requests were filed before federal prosecutors last week obtained an arrest warrant for Brian Laundrie.

[…]

KSL’s second request, filed on September 21, 2021, came days after the recovery of Petito’s body.

The second FOIA request asked for “any video from the Arches National Park entry stations and/or body-worn camera video from National Park Service staff related to the Aug. 12, 2021 domestic violence situation involving Gabrielle “Gabby” Petito and Brian Laundrie (to include body-worn camera from NPS ranger Melissa Hulls).”

KSL sought Hulls’ video from the National Park Service in an effort to verify the comments Hulls made to the Deseret News. KSL also sought to glean additional insight into how Petito responded to the characterization of her relationship with Laundrie.

Two days after KSL’s second records request was filed with the National Park Service, the city of Moab announced it would conduct an investigation of its police department’s response to the domestic dispute between Petito and Laundrie. In an unattributed statement, the city said it was unaware of any breach of department policy. However, it added “we recognize how the death of Ms. Petito more than two weeks later in Wyoming might lead to speculation, in hindsight, about actions taken during the incident in Moab.”

The Moab statement said the purpose of the investigation was to gather facts and evidence in order to make a “thorough, informed evaluation of such actions.” The National Park Service has made no such similar announcement.

Comment by me: Fox News also requested FOI for the footage and I haven’t seen an update on that but assume it’s been denied across the board. I think that article probably misspoke and meant the police officer’s bodycam was viewed millions of time’s. I haven’t seen Hull’s released.

Additional source for the Fox News request:

Fox News - Sep 21
Park Ranger urged Gabby Petito to distance herself from 'toxic' relationship with Brian Laundrie, report says

Hulls told Deseret reporter Kyle Dunphey she "was probably more candid with her" than she should’ve been when she told the young woman, who was reported missing on Sept. 11, that her relationship with Laundrie appeared "toxic."

Dunphey, who initially visited Moab over the weekend in connection with a different story, said he informed the ranger that he had filed a public records request for her bodycam video ahead of the interview and that she had nothing to hide. Fox News also filed such a request and has not yet received a response.

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

I've been thinking about the wait for the COD. I understand that they're waiting on toxicology, but other than that, is there any significance in the fact it's taking soooo long!?

I guess it's feasible that LE/FBI already know the COD but it just hasn't been released to the public and the media?

I know sometimes it's not released publicly so that LE can use it to determine if they're interrogating the right suspect (cross referencing info about the COD to see what matches), but at this stage, the prospect of BL being captured, nevermind interrogated, seems to be getting slimmer and slimmer.

MOO

@Bordeaux - Can you clarify the CL60 pattern again?

OK. I dug up more information on that aircraft. It IS indeed a private jet, very surprisingly flying that flight pattern! As a pilot, I barely understand how that is possible, and it is certainly not practical.

CL60 is a model number of the plane. The registration number is something else and I found it. It is registered to a non-law enforcement entity that requested privacy on FlightAware (no tracking)

I was able to track and verify it through other aviation data sites (owner, N-number, and that specific flight track) but will not disclose here unless the mods contact me through PM and give me the OK.

71B14CE4-6131-4E61-AF78-C3D084EFA91F.jpeg

Last edited:
*ring*
"Hello."
"MOM! Something ...GABBY'S DEAD! (insert excuse)."
"OK. Get here as fast as you can, and whatever you do, get rid of the phones! They can track you on the way back! We'll get another one when you get here."
"OK."

*ring*
"Hi. I'd like to cancel a reservation for two."
MOO

Burner phone's don't have a lot of capabilities from my understanding. They can go days without a charge sometimes week's depending on how often they are used.

Since burner phones are feature phones, they are severely limited in their abilities. Most lack cameras or access to a modern browser, and are instead limited to phone calls and text messaging. Since they are relatively lightweight devices, they have excellent battery life, too. Many such devices will last for days on a single charge, and sometimes even months if you use the battery sparingly.

https://www.howtogeek.com/712588/what-is-a-burner-phone-and-when-should-you-use-one/

Burner phones have come a long way....yes with full internet. I consider TracFone burners.

TracFone LG Journey 4G LTE Prepaid Smartphone (Locked) - Black - 32GB - SIM Card Included - CDMA - Fustration Free Packaging

They’re talking about Polk County sheriff Grady Judd on WFLA now. Saying if Grady Judd was investigating this BL never would’ve gotten away. Soooooo very true. I’ve dealt with Grady Judd on another case that.

But we don't know that.
That is hypothesizing at its best. Something we all do here.
:0)
Yes, but I believe it was in response to someone questioning why he would change his number, cutting GP off from contacting him to get the van back (hypothesizing that his story to the Ls was a simple break up).

IMO, since there has been no official confirmation of WHEN or IF the LE/ FBI has actually laid eyes on BL since his return on 9/1, and we now have confirmation that he did go camping with his parents on the 6-7th of September, maybe some investigating could be done involving video surveillance of nearby Walmart and Cabellas and REI. It's clear to me that maybe the LE is kind of slow to go on any follow ups regarding this camping trip. Investigating potential shopping trips the family may have taken seems like a good idea, no? ( Inflatable boat, tarps, or large quantities of Slim Jims and individually packaged Rice Krispie Treats, maybe some Capri Suns? )

Burner phone's don't have a lot of capabilities from my understanding. They can go days without a charge sometimes week's depending on how often they are used.

Since burner phones are feature phones, they are severely limited in their abilities. Most lack cameras or access to a modern browser, and are instead limited to phone calls and text messaging. Since they are relatively lightweight devices, they have excellent battery life, too. Many such devices will last for days on a single charge, and sometimes even months if you use the battery sparingly.

https://www.howtogeek.com/712588/what-is-a-burner-phone-and-when-should-you-use-one/

This is also my understanding of burner phones. They're incredibly basic (think Nokia 3310 without the cool 'Snake' game!), and their only purpose is purely as a means of communication by calls/texts.

I saw a documentary on UK prisons and the burner phones that are smuggled into prisons are tiny and could only receive calls, not make them.

IMO

Very interesting, Thank you! How tight is that confidentiality? Under what circumstances, if any, could that confidentiality be broken?

I don't want to appear to try to answer for @HoneySugar but I have some expertise in the area too.

If there seems to be an imminent and serious threat to the patient or to others, one can break confidentiality. A "duty to warn/protect" comes into play when there is a plan to harm an identifiable person(s) That duty arose from the Tarasoff case. Tarasoff v. Regents of the University of California - Wikipedia

Those issues-- duty to warn and confidentiality--are related but not identical.

It may be tempting to think society is served by breaking confidentiality if past crimes are solved. But if the public views mental health professionals as an arm of LE, an awful lot of people won't ever seek help. And it won't only be people who committed a past crime who are reluctant. Family members and friends would be too. And others who think they might have committed a crime will stay away.

Overall, tight confidentiality is a good thing. And once it's broken, naturally the patient/client will no longer trust the practitioner (and may distrust all practitioners.) So breaking confidentiality is a serious undertaking but sometimes necessary.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member