Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Second body cam footage, different officer? The release of the second body cam which in MOO appears to be from a different officer, reveals something that might be important. At 35 seconds in, BL is in the van driver's seat. The driver's seat has a cloth seat protector on it.

The video is from Law&Crime trial network - a national network, but posted on YT

The seat cloth protector is no longer on the seat when the van is seized 11/12 days after his return to FL.
MOO/JMO/IMO - Not sure if he discarded it at Colter Bay or somewhere else along the way, or after he returned to Florida, or if the police removed it. Either way, it's noteworthy IMOO.

Scroll down for pic in garage on seizure:
Gabby Petito: Police release bodycam footage of missing Florida woman as search continues

Do we know for certain that this is the Laundrie garage? Edit: It appears there is a brown bag on the pax seat. Possible LE collected it and bagged it? MOO

Last edited:
There's a scene in "The Color Purple" where Miss Celie tells, Shug - "He beats me, because I'm not you." I believe this is the crux of this situation. For close to 7 years, Brian, the self-absorbed, isolationist narcissist tried to change the all giving and nurturing Gabby into his doppelganger. He wanted a female Brian, a hermit with a useful vagina.
But, she couldn't chuck her free spirit, love of people and desire to teach the world about caring for the world. He was as small as a cancer cell. She was as large as the universe. He could not beat her embrace of the world out of her. He could not spirit her far enough away to cut her ties to the world she truly cared to nurture. He could not brow beat her into the kind of devotion that expects nothing in return.
He wanted to flee from the world. She wanted to change the world. He wanted to abandon all ties. She wanted to share her embrace with everyone.
Gabby said no too many times to a person who tried to groom her into believing a life in handcuffs was a life liberated simply because he was doing the handcuffing. In the end, she was a failed experiment, an incendiary catalyst that ignited the rage at the heart of his iconoclasm. Like a gladiator, this happy, light-hearted, little girl withstood his attempt at brainwashing for 7 years in order to lighten his heart, heal his soul and make him fall back in love with the entirety of the world - not just the rocks, streams and mountains upon it.
In the end, his sickness proved to be both incurable and deadly.
JMHO

insightful and I think you're onto something. She definitely had a light and positive vibe compared to him.

It is not clear (at best) that Cassie us represented by anyone, much less Bertolini (I did see that an apparently unauthorized on here source claims to have SB stating that he does not represent her, but that aside I have seen nothing saying he does.
SB stated via text that he does not represent her. SB and CL stated that SB advised the Ls (minus CL as she's not a client) to zip it. CL is not part of it because she doesn't know anything. Even JP has said they're not telling her anything.

I agree with the mischaracterizing of her statement. She seemed upset that she hasn't been able to talk to him and she may have worried that he was doing the wrong thing or taking the wrong advice.

I don't think the lawyer helped anyone though by selectively releasing these facts causing a firestorm for an innocent third party who is not even his client (as he confirmed to journalists on twitter).

And as neither the FBI nor local LE has made any statement or released any evidence related to CL, there's nothing to "get in front of" that needed to happen today.

Interesting. I almost always agree with your assessments but I really see this one differently. First, the family’s collective actions lead me to withhold the benefit of the doubt I’d usually afford to someone unknown to me.

I think CL was well aware that ANY conversation with her brother would be important & newsworthy since no one had seen or talked to him. And she clearly talked to him. You don’t spend time with someone twice in a short time frame but not speak.

Don’t you think there would be follow up questions if she had indicated that she had seen him twice since he came home without Gabby?

I am completely & totally just as suspicious of her as I am of the rest of the family.

Can we gain some perspective here? This thread is blowing up accusing CL, her family, and her husband's family of aiding a fugitive based solely on information from Steven Bertolino. Not exactly the witness we should be relying upon for the facts.

No one is accusing just something to consider.

My point is what if she’s not a DV victim and only the public is making her out to be. Then we aren’t putting her in her true light. We are creating her in our own image… not the GP those close to her knew and loved. To me, IMO that’s disrespectful and not honoring her memory.

I understand your point. Gabby's family have already said that Gabby was a bright light to everyone who knew her, was a beautiful woman, they approved of her tattoo and all got the same to honour Gabby - to remain close to her.

That is who they choose to remember. The Gabby they know and love.

To me, it is hard to be a bright light if you have no self worth and are beaten down.
I think the mental beating down, the frustration, the exasperation, commenced during that long trip when Gabby was alone with BL most of the time. It is difficult being alone with anyone for a long duration (and that swings both ways). Even your best friend. All kinds of annoyances arise.

Gabby Petito’s family thanks law enforcement, displays matching tattoos in first news conference | NEWS10 ABC

To answer the question asked, if we knew it (and someone might), would be sleuthing his friends for sure.

It's just better not to tempt people to answer questions that require rule-breaking (ethical and otherwise).
The OP was not saying to sleuth his friends. She/he was wondering why he did not have any friends speak up for him.

Not frantic, not grieved by his absence, not around the bend with worry, not living in an abyss of despair...concerned.
You are concerned when you think you left your bank card in the machine at Walmart, not when your adult child is the object of a manhunt.
And not a word of thanks to the hundreds of members of LE braving heat, mosquitoes, gators, sand spurs, exhaustion looking for their son.
I'm at a complete loss...

Again another insightful post. thank you.

Our hiking boy could be on the Blue Ridge Parkway -- that hiking trail, etc., hasn't been mentioned much, if at all (I haven't read every entry on these threads...:eek:...:rolleyes:.., so I could bemistaken.)

Anyway, here's some info about the BRP -- it's close to the AT, but separate from it. Beautiful, too.
----------------------------------------------
The Blue Ridge Parkway is a National Parkway and All-American Road in the United States, noted for its scenic beauty. The parkway, which is America's longest linear park, runs for 469 miles through 29 Virginia and North Carolina counties, linking Shenandoah National Park to Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Wikipedia
Length: 469 mi
Constructed: June 30, 1936
Tourist; routes: Blue Ridge Parkway
Established: June 30, 1936
Highway system: National Parkway
Nearest city: Asheville, NC & Roanoke, VA
Management: National Park Service
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blue Ridge Parkway and Appalachian Trail Crossings
https://www.virtualblueridge.com › ... › Activity Guide

The trail continues roughly parallel to, but generally many miles removed from, the Blue Ridge Parkway. It crosses the Parkway two times in this 70-mile stretch ...
Below is a complete list by Milepost, including length and difficulty. The Appalachian Trail and Mountains-to-Sea Trail are two long-distance trails that follow ...
---------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
I agree. I think he is in hiding but at someone's summer rental, a cabin, or at a family friend's house. It took this long for LE/FBI to even consider the older sister's house. That concerns me.
He thinks he can lay low and hide out until the media attention blows over. This way his parents can send him supplies via Amazon through an anon account and prepaid cards.
Maybe the parents would not do this themselves but request that their friends, unmonitored, send stuff to him?
mustang still sitting in their driveway and he has a key...

For someone "like a sister," the most she had to say about GP was that she was "nice." It was so superficial and generic - I didn't like it weeks ago, and I still don't.

Well, to each her own. For me, what's said on a TV show isn't all that important anyway. But if it was, saying someone was "like a sister" conveyed sufficient feelings on its own. I don't need to see all kinds of gushing adjectives to believe CL cared. Sometimes those who dramatize the most, care the least after all.
JMO

I have no idea what was really going on between GP and BL. All I know is she got murdered, he's on the run, and I am unfit to sit on the jury.

That being said, I don't believe most 22-year-olds tell their parents about the aspects of their lives that will cause worry or concern. Also, if you plan on staying with your boyfriend, you don't tell your parents about DV incidents. (They will hate him forever.) To be honest, I wouldn't think the families of either of them were getting the entire truth or even half the truth. With DV you only tell people the truth when you're ready to get out.
I agree 100% with this. Earlier I had expressed if her parents even knew about what happened with the police video on 8/12.. I would at the very least imagine, before and even after, Gabby couldn’t bring herself to tell her parents that her dream of van life and setting off on this adventure wasn’t panning out how she thought it would. She was obviously so upset in the police videos, crying, while he was hamming it up and smiling..

I tend to agree with this. The only source DV has come from is the public and the media. GP’s parents, the police, people close to the investigation have not even floated this out there. The other thing that comes to my mind is IMO I don’t see GP’s family being ok with her going alone on a trip with a guy that’s been “abusing” her mentally or physically for years. It just doesn’t mesh IMO. I think something just unfortunately happened on that trip that we still have yet to learn all the true facts to. The real fact(s) is there is only 1 (one) “DV” incident on record between them and we really don’t have all the facts on that either. IMO to truly make a judgment call one would need to be there, see what happened and speak to both of them. So speculation and creating a past between the 2 of them serves no real purpose at this point. JMO

Most DV goes unreported and unrecorded.

And yet it happens. A lot.

And in this (single as far as we know) recorded incident, they both mention his grabbing her face and squeezing it. (As is known, hands about the face and neck have a strong association with escalation. Yes, this gets to conjecture. But the bottom line is that his physicality toward her was enough for a stranger to call in, and includes some disturbing type of violence.)

It's not only about physical abuse, though. Emotional and mental abuse can be devastating on many levels...and once there is a level of contempt like that for your partner - well, there's always a first day for violence, and always a furst time it goes too far and causes lasting damage

Second body cam footage, different officer? The release of the second body cam which in MOO appears to be from a different officer, reveals something that might be important. At 35 seconds in, BL is in the van driver's seat. The driver's seat has a cloth seat protector on it.

The video is from Law&Crime trial network - a national network, but posted on YT

The seat cloth protector is no longer on the seat when the van is seized 11/12 days later.
MOO/JMO/IMO - Not sure if he discarded it at Colter Bay or somewhere else along the way, or after he returned to Florida, or if the police removed it. Either way, it's noteworthy IMOO.

Scroll down for pic in garage on seizure:
Gabby Petito: Police release bodycam footage of missing Florida woman as search continues

Do we know for certain that this is the Laundrie garage?

The Laundry garage did not have enough room for the van to fit inside. It was cluttered with a lot of boxes, as was shown on news footage.

If you are speaking about the close up photos of the van, that is after it was taken from the Laundrie residence. It was most likely inside a LE garage/facility when the photos were taken.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

And what "if" Gabby was a "strong, scrappy girl"?

Good for her if she was! Just because a woman is "strong" and "scrappy" doesn't mean that she isn't being victimized by intimate partner violence.

Let us inform ourselves right now. Even strong females can be victims of intimate partner violence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay; I did my homework better this time, I hope. I read the transcript of the entire interview linked in incognitus' post and two statements seem suspicious to me.

1) Cassie Laundrie: I've cooperated in every way that I can. I wish I had information or I would give more. I, I, I...this is all I have is - I gave to the police.
Question: Have you talked to Gabby's family?
Cassie Laundrie: No one's reached out to me and I don't know if it's appropriate for me to reach out to them when everything with everything going on.
Question: What would you say to her family just so they know that you're..."
(Remember this was aired at 0730 on 17th of September ~ Long after the Petito family says they tried to contact her.)
2) Question: And when you just heard the news just in general, like that she's missing and that your brother's back here?
Cassie Laundrie: I don't understand. As much as everybody else I'm learning everything from the news, too.
Remember, CL is claiming this even though she'd already met with her brother twice since his return. It seems very unlikely to me that this tragedy would be off limits for discussion! My family must be weird then ~ because this would never fly!!! I find it more plausible that the campground meet up may have been specifically to discuss everything and make a plan. Especially since it's been mentioned that they may have been worried about their phones and home being bugged.
My 2 cents of moo.

ETA: I agree with you that the Laundries not saying anything to Gabby’s parents was awful & IMO another level of cruel. I was just adding to the conversation specifically in relation to Cassie. Forgot to clarify that.

In the first episode Dr. Phil did on Gabby - the one that aired right after her body was found, & he had Gabby’s dad on the show & gave him the full hour. Gabby’s dad actually apologizes to CL for what he originally said. Idk if there’s been things said by him after that, but that is what was said in the Dr. Phil interview. Link to interview below (admin approved). Timestamp 23:19
Gaslighting was apparently a family affair in the Laundrie home.

BBM

What if GP was a strong, scrappy girl that took no crud from anyone"?

And what "if" Gabby was a "strong, scrappy girl"?

Good for her if she was! Just because a woman is "strong" and "scrappy" doesn't mean that she isn't being victimized by intimate partner violence.

Let us inform ourselves right now. Even strong females can be victims of intimate partner violence.

Yes, they can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member