Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #47

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a really interesting clip with Brian Entin yesterday, & he said that while lawyers do occasionally reply with texts, they almost always tell everyone in the media the exact same thing. They will literally cut & paste their reply to every journalist.

B. Entin said what makes this lawyer so unusual is that he tells different journalists different things for the same question. He said he & other journalists have come to work together in a manner something like the White House press corp does, where they compare notes & build on each other's questions to try & get a straight answer.

(It was in this clip, in case a source is required:
)
This is awesome. I've been watching it since you posted. I hadn't listened to JB since they stopped searching at the reserve. I wouldn't have known he had this in depth discussion with BE if not for you post. Thank you!

As far as the many "Where is his old phone?" musings, I can think of (IMO) at least one entity that has to know - maybe not know "exactly" where it is, but knows within 100-200 or so miles of where and in what state it was when it shut off. And that's his provider, whether that be AT&T or another. MOO (And, that means LE knows too, MOO)

As far as JB referring to BL being missing person as part of the "facts". I disagree. He's a fugitive. He has an arrest warrant out and he's on the run. He's not been a missing person to LE for a long time, if he ever was. MOO JMO IMO

We are just rehashing small details over and over with very little new developments.

Anyone else bored, frustrated and restless by the status and pace of this case?
Yes!! I walk away for a few hours and inevitably come back. I basically sit on my hands to not respond to many posts because I don't want to get invested when it's going nowhere right now. Frustrated and want leads! I keep telling myself "take the whole day off," but it doesn't work.

good point. did she call the Laundries? A dynamic so common in families with disordered individuals is the compulsion to cover up for those people. Gabby herself may have even been trained over the years of living in the lion's den to protect BL and to always check in with his parents to make sure she was doing "the right" thing for him. her first concern may have been for what they wanted her to do for him, not what she needed to do for herself.

Yes, it bothers me, too.

This has bothered me.
Who exactly did Gabby call from the back seat of the police car?
What did she say?
Did she really call any of her parents?
If she did, they have not revealed it.
Why?
I can't imagine her parents not immediately going to her and trying to get Gabby out of this toxic relationship.

They referenced it early on. They said she and her mother texted one another a lot post the incident, without mentioning the incident specifically. I assume she did call her mother from the car. imo.

This has bothered me.
Who exactly did Gabby call from the back seat of the police car?
What did she say?
Did she really call any of her parents?
If she did, they have not revealed it.
Why?
I can't imagine her parents not immediately going to her and trying to get Gabby out of this toxic relationship.

Yes…I was wanting to ask the same questions because GP was so upset that red flags would be flying high right then…..smh.

IMO, people on these threads have been de facto accused of ‘not understanding’ DV when they merely have mildly said that cops can’t put on the record things that are hearsay, and so forth, which is definitely a subjective classification on the part of the cudgeler, whoops, ‘educator’.
No, there's been some distinct contrarian views about whether GP was abused at all. Odd Devil's Advocate type train of thought. IMO. I don't understand the denial.

Is it any wonder that poor Gabby melted in defeat when the officer approached her and questioned her during the incident?

IMO, she recognized that she was outnumbered by the Good Old Boys Club and she acted to protect herself.

This scenario is not uncommon for many female victims of intimate partner violence.
That GOB club had to feel intimidating. Imo, even the female ranger seemed like she was part of that. Not bashing the officers- very tough job, but have wondered if fewer officers might have been more effective in getting at the truth.

I hear you & understand what you're saying.

But their relationship pattern is almost unavoidably relevant if "finding BL [is part of] Justice for Gabby," isn't it? I have to think that it's a part of the analysis by LE in their hunt approach (and it also seems relevant in the context of assessing the approach and actions taken during the stop in Moab; if police misread the situation, they may or may not have missed good opportunities or wound up with a different outcome. And if that's accurate, then sorting out what/if there was a DV situation could very much play a part in the ultimate legal/justice outcome of the case.)

(Also, in the broader scheme of things, there just doesn't seem to be that much right now other than (actual) sightings and leads that could actually get things closer to justice, I don't think...though I'd love to hear a different perspective!)

I agree wit you. IMO this topic needs to be revisited once we have more facts. I just think there is not enough off just the DV stop. Now, if you are talking BL behavior then adding in the restaurant stop definitely plays a part into his psychological mind frame. This timing was closer to the murder IMO so I believe that LE will be looking for anything from did he ingest anything that would affect his behavior? Or does he take meds? That kind of thing IMO. Law enforcement aren’t focusing on the DV stop at all. IMO they will want to know where is heads at so how will he react when captured. Is he armed? Does he have weapons? Once it goes to court IMO I think the DV will play a role on the defense side and highlight who was victim/who was abuser. Same with the prosecution’s angle. JMO BUT, then again it may not play at all… just depends on the autopsy results. Those will be key in my opinion.

SBM

Her body was found a relatively short distance from a well-maintained, heavily traveled gravel road. If Brian took the van and left her there, she could have reached other people and help easily. And suicide has been ruled out by the autopsy, her death was the result of homicide.

I didn't say she committed suicide. There have been many cases where remains have been overlooked when searches by professionals have taken place only to be found by random people after the organized searches have ended.

Second body cam footage, different officer? The release of the second body cam which in MOO appears to be from a different officer, reveals something that might be important. At 35 seconds in, BL is in the van driver's seat. The driver's seat has a cloth seat protector on it.

The video is from Law&Crime trial network - a national network, but posted on YT

The seat cloth protector is no longer on the seat when the van is seized 11/12 days after his return to FL.
MOO/JMO/IMO - Not sure if he discarded it at Colter Bay or somewhere else along the way, or after he returned to Florida, or if the police removed it. Either way, it's noteworthy IMOO.

Scroll down for pic in garage on seizure:
Gabby Petito: Police release bodycam footage of missing Florida woman as search continues

Do we know for certain that this is the Laundrie garage? Edit: It appears there is a brown bag on the pax seat. Possible LE collected it and bagged it? MOO
Wasn't it mint colored? There is something that color on the back of the seat.

ooo he was a smooth operator, all right.. no hesitation at all, he was immediately onto it, he' d done this lots of times before... and he never wavered, in the end.

( He had been reported to be slapping a woman in the main street, reported by an actual police op for speeding, and then hitting the kerb ) and then as he really hits his stride, he has the coppers bringing him water, knocking knuckles with him, and even standing in front of him sitting on the kerb so he could have some shade !..

People!!... I ask you....
He says, right in the body cam that we all saw and heard and which has been posted on here a million times something to the effect of "Well, I hope she didn't say anything bad about me" laugh, laugh. He's always been a calculating guy from the moment I saw that first body cam footage, IMO.

Would you not think that Gabby's parents might have wondered why the police wanted to put her in jail ... knowing their daughter the way they thought they did? A bright light.

My point is that something obviously serious was going on. That couldn't be easily explained away. If it wasn't so serious, and the police didn't have an obligation (as stated previously) to try to connect a DV victim with their family/other help, would Gabby have even called her parents right then about a 'simple' police stop and their fighting? Or would she have waited until their next FT call?

I think we may be underestimating Gabby's parents, who have been in this world for a long time, and might well have understood the implications.
I don't believe Gabby called any of her parents during the police stop.
Who, if anyone, did she call?
What did she say to them?

I haven't heard this addressed by Gabby's family or the press.

ETA: I believe JP said he didn't know that things were deteriorating between Gabby and Brian.
Didn't he say something like - if he had known he would have taken the next flight out and taken care of things.
I believe he would have too.

On Aug. 24, BL’s mother initially made reservations for 2 people to camp at Soto Park Campground between Sept. 1-3 but she cancelled those reservations on Aug. 31.

On Sept. 3, she made a new reservation for 3 people to camp on the weekend of Sept. 6-8. Other documents show they checked- in on Sept. 6 and checked out on Sept. 8.

Thomas Rutherford was at the campground with his wife that weekend and said he can "vaguely remember" seeing their Dodge pickup truck with a camper attached because he never sees campers like theirs anymore. The Laundries listed their Dodge truck on the reservation form.

A source who spoke on the condition of anonymity used to work at Civic Plus, a software company that manages the De Soto campground's reservation system, and speculates that the Laundries knew their son was coming home on Aug. 31, when they had plans to camp, and cancelled them accordingly. They then made a new reservation including their son at a later date.

While the above was speculation, it does make perfect sense.

Laundrie family changed Fort De Soto campground reservations before Brian returned home, docs show

ETA to amend link

Last edited:
I have a hard time attributing the sins of BL and even his parents to a married mother of 2 with her own life that lived 40 miles away and has not been charged with a crime. LE has not said she is not cooperating. She said in her interview that she spoke to LE as soon as they called her - she called them back from Disney. We haven't seen any statement from LE that she is not cooperating or is involved in any way.

I don't know what everyone else's families look like but in mine, I don't know what my brother does every day. We both have our own families. We text good morning every couple of days but that's it. If my brother told me him and his partner broke up, I would probably text back "I'm so sorry" and literally not think about it again. I'd feel sad for him but I have my own family and my own business and my own life. I'm sure he would feel exactly the same.

So to think that CL, a married mother of two, spent a lot of time investigating her little brother's situation before the police even got involved is just bizarre to me.

I get that everyone wishes something different happened. That Gabby never went on the trip. That they broke up in Utah. That BL's parents called the cops on 9/1. That the police took the missing persons report seriously on 9/10 and insisted on seeing BL. That the cops used surveillance on BL so he was never allowed to escape. That everyone who assisted in any way is charged with applicable crimes.

But I just can't see the picking apart of someone, CL, who has her own life and there has been not one suggestion by LE that she did anything wrong. If she's arrested I will happily join in the sleuthing and criticism but until then I think it is wildly inappropriate and irresponsible, IMO.

When there's no news, sometimes it is time to take a break or research a different case. Otherwise it quickly turns into a mob against innocents. It happens time and time again.
I agree with you. The parents’ behavior has been appalling but she doesn’t live with her parents. This woman has her own family and her own life. She spoke lovingly about Gabby. If there are protesters gathering at her house, I hope they do the right thing and move on. She has children who evidently loved Gabby and will be affected by that insanity.

I haven't caught up with the thread yet, so I don't know if this has already been discussed. I saw an extended version of the interaction between GP, BL and LE when they interviewed them roadside.

Gabby was very emotional pleading with the officers to let them remain together. She didn't want to be separated from Brian. We all know that didn't happen and he spent the night in a hotel for free as victim of DV. Gabby was left with a van she didn't like to drive in an unfamiliar environment.

We've heard a lot of stories about Brian and his means to control Gabby. He has taken her ID to stop her from going out with her female friends for a night out. He has a habit of locking her out of the van. He has a habit of taking her keys. He always attempts to isolate her.

I can't even imagine the situations that occurred between the intervention by the cops and the day Brian left to go back to Florida.

Both of them seemed to be experiencing mental health crises. I have this horrible feeling that they fought many times during this period and Brian, true to form, took control of the van and left Gabby alone, extremely upset and took off.

How long he stayed away is unknown but what if when he returned Gabby wasn't there? What if she had been left for a couple of days, not knowing where he was, when he was coming back and without any means of survival? What if she died of dehydration? What if she inflicted wounds on her own body in her agony? What if he found her lifeless body and just left her there? Murder doesn't necessarily mean someone laid their hands on someone. Malice aforethought can also mean indifference to life.

Everything BL has done since his return to Florida reflects a level of guilt. Whether that is from actually murdering his girlfriend or just leaving her to stew in her own juices for an unknown period of time ends up with the same results. She's not here anymore.

The coroner said her cause of death was homicide. That would not be the case if Gabby died of thirst or exposure.

I've never watched a case this big, but a thing I wonder is, would anyone really want to stick their neck out for a wanted guy/POI? I have no idea if in other high profile cases friends came out & said stuff like Chris Watts was a great guy, or whoever (for clarity: not comparing BL as a person or these events to CW; I'm comparing the level of publicity, only). BL very well could have have had no friends, but it also seems like a huge amount of heat & blowback & attention if someone was to try & speak up for him right now (especially because his parents aren't! ALL the attention would be on that friend, if such friend exists...)

The early days of the Suzanne Morphew case were rife with supporters and friends of Barry coming forward, making webpages (one is still up). Barry still seems to have friends, even now.

I think the clues to BL's life are in his social media - there's a lot of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member